Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I just built a ten* 3.5" disk NAS in a Fractal Node 804. Plus one nvme and already ran sata cables to where I can add two more 2.5inch drives later.

I really like it, really. I did replace the fans with four pin fans. It does feel very crammed in the front if you do mount two 3.5" drives on the bottom, and ultimately I had to switch from a very hot and large LSI HBA to a small no-heat five port sata card, but it's still fine?

Speaking of, to go back to UNRAID and ingressing all my data, it's going fine. Very steady at around 85MB/s. Parity on, turbo write enabled. I'll have all my data over from Google Drive well before their ask date to get below 5TB.

Actually I broke the sata connector on one of my old 8TB drives from my N54L NAS. Luckily it was also the one disk that had ever had to replace sectors. Well, only two, and that was years ago. But if one had to be sacrificed to the data storage gods, it was the one. So currently have (2x)20TB+(2x)14TB+(5x)8TB for 68TB total at the moment. Will look for another 20TB around Black Friday to get back to ten disks.

I plan to follow Trash Guides for setting up things, but the guides ultimately seem pretty sparse. Haven't started setting up Dockers. Still need to figure out a bunch of things I haven't used before like Notifiaar or Watchtower or Trafick or eh, some other reverse proxy option? And switching from NZBGet to Sab?

NAS is really feeling like an upgrade and I haven't even stretched it's legs yet. Just feels like the effort I've put in will be rewarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Sub Rosa posted:

I just built a ten* 3.5" disk NAS in a Fractal Node 804. Plus one nvme and already ran sata cables to where I can add two more 2.5inch drives later.

I really like it, really. I did replace the fans with four pin fans. It does feel very crammed in the front if you do mount two 3.5" drives on the bottom, and ultimately I had to switch from a very hot and large LSI HBA to a small no-heat five port sata card, but it's still fine?

Speaking of, to go back to UNRAID and ingressing all my data, it's going fine. Very steady at around 85MB/s. Parity on, turbo write enabled. I'll have all my data over from Google Drive well before their ask date to get below 5TB.

Actually I broke the sata connector on one of my old 8TB drives from my N54L NAS. Luckily it was also the one disk that had ever had to replace sectors. Well, only two, and that was years ago. But if one had to be sacrificed to the data storage gods, it was the one. So currently have (2x)20TB+(2x)14TB+(5x)8TB for 68TB total at the moment. Will look for another 20TB around Black Friday to get back to ten disks.

I plan to follow Trash Guides for setting up things, but the guides ultimately seem pretty sparse. Haven't started setting up Dockers. Still need to figure out a bunch of things I haven't used before like Notifiaar or Watchtower or Trafick or eh, some other reverse proxy option? And switching from NZBGet to Sab?

NAS is really feeling like an upgrade and I haven't even stretched it's legs yet. Just feels like the effort I've put in will be rewarded.

Keep an eye on disk temps. The Node 804 is rad as hell, but personal experience is that it gets toasty as hell once you start filling that sucker up.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Theophany posted:

disk temps
Currently averaging 36.6 C and it has been ingressing at it's max speed for over twelve hours.

I did replace the stock fans with 6 ARCTIC P12 PWM PST. Very happy with them so far.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sub Rosa posted:

(Node 804 build stuff)

What cpu/mobo/ram did you go with?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Sub Rosa posted:

Currently averaging 36.6 C and it has been ingressing at it's max speed for over twelve hours.

I did replace the stock fans with 6 ARCTIC P12 PWM PST. Very happy with them so far.

Good shout!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

priznat posted:

What cpu/mobo/ram did you go with?

$185 Intel Xeon e-2288g CPU processor ES qqm5 3.1ghz
$144 ASUS WS C246M PRO/SE
$165 2x Samsung M391A4G43MB1-CTD 32GB DDR4 2666MHZ PC4-21300 ECC

Wanted Intel iGpu for transcoding and I wanted ECC ram. It's my first time trying an engineering sample from China as a CPU, and I sort of expected it could be a buggy mess since QQM5 reportedly has known PCIe bugs, but after updating the motherboard to latest firmware it has been rock solid so far. So octacore with hyperthreading and 64GB of ECC.

Maybe there was a more recent gen that would have been better at around the same price? I'm not sure, and I am sure this seems way more than sufficient for my needs.

Theophany posted:

Good shout!

The five pack is real cheap but they are super quiet and look good!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nice thanks for that I may just copy your build now that my son wants my old 8700k motherboard which was my original nas upgrade plan (currently on a 2500k)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Well, gently caress. The SAS-SATA cables I got have the wire coming out the "wrong" way on the SATA ends. If I plug them in, it would require me to bend the cable 90 degrees to avoid the fan.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I firmly believe angled SATA cables were a bad idea.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
And now I have come to find out that my psu’s sata power cables aren’t long enough. One thing after another. Smh

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Unraid have a page up promoting their "cyber weekend" price reductions (as well as prizes and stuff)
No actual price details though.
From what I can glean from searching previous years, they only reduce the unlimited one though? That'd be a shame as the 12 device one will be more than enough for me.
I'll wait and see anyway as I've 3 weeks of the trial left.

https://unraid.net/blog/cyber-weekend-giveaway

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

YerDa Zabam posted:

Unraid have a page up promoting their "cyber weekend" price reductions (as well as prizes and stuff)
From what I can glean from searching previous years, they only reduce the unlimited one though? That'd be a shame as the 12 device one will be more than enough for me.

or you could join the dark side and install truenas scale

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kibner posted:

And now I have come to find out that my psu’s sata power cables aren’t long enough. One thing after another. Smh

Aren't SATA cables basically free on Amazon with next day shipping? Seems like a very minor issue although I appreciate you have quite a few of them.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

YerDa Zabam posted:

How much of a discount have they done in the past?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

VelociBacon posted:

Aren't SATA cables basically free on Amazon with next day shipping? Seems like a very minor issue although I appreciate you have quite a few of them.

Power cables. Meaning it has to match the pinout on my PSU. Unless you mean an extension power cable? I'm a bit wary of those, but maybe I shouldn't be?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sata power extension cables are available but not exactly cheap for what you get, really. The SATA power connector is standard, unlike when you have modular PSU cables the PSU side connection can vary wildly in catastrophic ways (someone crossed up Corsair and evga ones at work and the ground/12V is swapped on some of the pcie cable pins :yikes:)

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
I've been running 8x 8TB WD shucked drives(mix of reds/whites) in my Synology DS1817+ for a solid 6ish years and one of them just started having issues/throwing errors/bad sectors/whatever recently. The rest of them all seem perfectly fine still and have no errors/issues on any of the tests, but regardless of that, I've decided to start upgrading all of them one by one. So far I've done 4, the one bad one and 3 of the others which were still in good working order, but again still have about 50000 hours on them at this point.

So my question is, what is the standard protocol for used drives that are in "otherwise" good condition, but 6 years old and heavily used? Do I just thank them for their years of good service, bid them farewell, wipe them completely clean and then recycle them? Or would it be a reasonable for me to keep them around, throw them in another NAS or expansion unit or something and only use them to store data that otherwise I wouldn't mind losing(backups of backups, linux torrents, etc)?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

RoboBoogie posted:

I know that eventually I'll switch to Truenas Scale, but is there any reason to yet for running proxmox on 2 nodes yet?
Node 1 - NAS - 32GB Xeon with 120TB storage minimal LXCs just ones that pretty much must live with the storage.
Node 2 - Docker Host - 128GB Ryzen 5950 - 4TB local NVME storage and tons of LXCs, VMs, and docker containers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Containers on TrueNAS Scale are a pain in the butt. Sure, they work, but the management interface is very meh. If you’re used to something akin to Portainer, you’d be going like four steps backwards. For instance, you can’t check current resource usage of a running container vs (yet). Or inspect any other details.

I’m not sure what you can do in TrueCommand, it’s not free.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

If there are any UK people here looking for cheap decommissioned disks then there's a guy on ebay selling HGST 10TB Ultrastars for a listed £75, but he is accepting £63, probably lower if you're buying multiples

I know the US, and mainland EU to an extent see similar prices a fair bit, It's a pretty great price for us here on this lovely island.
They have around 4 years of power on time, and a power cycle of around 10, so totally adequate for iso storage, and cheap enough to run a couple of parity as well I guess.

There must have been a massive DC dumping them on the market as they are all over Amazon Renewed too. They are around £80 there inc shipping from the US, but with a 5 year warranty. I contacted customer service as it seemed too generous, but they insisted that it is correct. Got it in writing.
Not that it matters as the £60 guy wins. He does a 3 month warranty, they're UK stock and the ones I got are error free after doing a badblocks run.

Search HUH728080ALE601 if you are interested

RoboBoogie posted:

Haha yeah, I've tried it a few times over the years, even back to the freenas times but I always seem to come unstuck with something, just as my keenness to learn wanes. The times that I've stretched out an unraid trial it's been just a bit more approachable. Can't remember exactly the details tbh.

Rap Game Goku posted:

How much of a discount have they done in the past?

Looks like 20% off the top priced one. Maybe something off the middle one too one year, but I couldn't find the details.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Synology question: I have a DS1819+ that I just came into possession of, and 7 out of 8 disks are working, but that’s still enough space to store what I need.

Can I create the storage pool now and then add the 8th disk to expand it later? Or does synology use a ZFS-like system that can’t be expanded?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

If the disks are all the same size you would be better off using the non-expandable btrfs option. If they are different sizes you would likely be looking at SHR-2 which is expandable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They are all 10tb, so btrfs, but I can’t expand it? Can I use the extra as a hot spare at least when I replace it?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hot spare would work

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

They are all 10tb, so btrfs, but I can’t expand it? Can I use the extra as a hot spare at least when I replace it?

https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/hotspare

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

100% Dundee posted:

I've been running 8x 8TB WD shucked drives(mix of reds/whites) in my Synology DS1817+ for a solid 6ish years and one of them just started having issues/throwing errors/bad sectors/whatever recently. The rest of them all seem perfectly fine still and have no errors/issues on any of the tests, but regardless of that, I've decided to start upgrading all of them one by one. So far I've done 4, the one bad one and 3 of the others which were still in good working order, but again still have about 50000 hours on them at this point.

So my question is, what is the standard protocol for used drives that are in "otherwise" good condition, but 6 years old and heavily used? Do I just thank them for their years of good service, bid them farewell, wipe them completely clean and then recycle them? Or would it be a reasonable for me to keep them around, throw them in another NAS or expansion unit or something and only use them to store data that otherwise I wouldn't mind losing(backups of backups, linux torrents, etc)?

Wipe them and put them to rest. They've done their duty. Now let them enjoy the eternal sleep.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

Slap them in an external enclosure and use them as backups.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
If they have no issues, keep them. Give them away, whatever. But drives in very usable sizes without issues are worth having regardless of power on time.

I have a zero tolerance policy for smart errors, and toss such drives, but if a drive wants to live, so be it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone in Canada have any good spots to find enterprise type hardware? Looking for like super micro boards, used is fine. Canada computers has very little, ditto memory express. EBay is an option but the shipping is often $$$

Used stuff would be great if they have a good rep.

Looking to get an e3, something like a c246m chipset etc. x11 supermicro board would be great.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DBAN/nwipe them a few times until you're satisfied and then sell them on SAmart for $30 each or eBay for $60 each. When they're cheap enough, people (hi) don't care so much about ridiculously high power on hours.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Someone on the TrueNAS forums made a script that sets up a Debian container in containerd on SCALE, in which you can then setup Docker, so you can use Portainer and poo poo again. So I switched back from Apps to Portainer in Cobia, and the baseline power consumption dropped by 2W. Over a year, that's 175kWh, which is like 60€ here where I live. gently caress you Kubernetes. --edit: gently caress me, I'm bad at math.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 13, 2023

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

priznat posted:

Looking to get an e3, something like a c246m chipset etc. x11 supermicro board would be great.
Be careful with that "something like a c246m chipset" thinking. The first board I was going to buy was a c242 before I realized it didn't support onboard graphics. I used Intel Ark a lot matching CPU / Chipset making sure I was buying compatible parts with the features I desired.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I was more thinking of something with a relatively recent C2xx chipset (ie something workstation-y) but will have to do some digging on whatever. Just the buying options here seem really bad for anything not basic consumer stuff.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I’ve been putting off building a NAS that will be used exclusively for Plex and low-intensity storage. What’s stalled me has been trying to get QuickSync, ECC, and enough SATA ports all in one box. I have Plex Pass so GPU transcoding is available to me.

Would one of the entry-level TrueNAS appliances be a good idea? Low power, low noise and low footprint are preferable (the device will have to live in the bedroom or just outside to keep it off the same circuit as my gaming rig) but not if Plex is going to chug. I’d prefer to use ZFS just to learn a top-end storage system as I go.

Backups will be Backblaze B2, and since I recently switched away from CrashPlan to Backblaze I have to figure out workstation backups inside the LAN too.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 14, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shumagorath posted:

I’ve been putting off building a NAS that will be used exclusively for Plex and low-intensity storage. What’s stalled me has been trying to get QuickSync, ECC, and enough SATA ports all in one box. I have Plex Pass so GPU transcoding is available to me.

Would one of the entry-level TrueNAS appliances be a good idea? Low power, low noise and low footprint are preferable (the device will have to live in the bedroom or just outside to keep it off the same circuit as my gaming rig) but not if Plex is going to chug. I’d prefer to use ZFS just to learn a top-end storage system as I go.

Backups will be Backblaze B2, and since I recently switched away from CrashPlan to Backblaze I have to figure out workstation backups inside the LAN too.

You mean a Mini? https://www.truenas.com/truenas-mini/

Those devices do not have any integrated graphics, and Quicksync is part of the iGPU. It sounds like that's not what you want.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah I was eyeing those but the lack of iGPU kills them. I might try to steal that Node 804 build further up the page assuming I can source the Xeon.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Yeah I was eyeing those but the lack of iGPU kills them. I might try to steal that Node 804 build further up the page assuming I can source the Xeon.

I had no luck :sigh: at least not via pc part picker Canada and checking a few sites manually. EBay had a couple promising options but the shipping was nuts.

Weirdly bad time for workstation xeons what with them being on super old processes, are they still in production even?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shumagorath posted:

You can do better than a Skylake-based e-2288g, and if you're bothering to do ECC I wouldn't do an engineering sample processor personally. Why not just get an W680 motherboard and put a modern Intel processor in it? The Core i5-12, 13th, and 15th generations all support ECC, you just have to get a mobo to work with them. W680 all supports ECC with normal client processors, and they have modern iGPUs.

Those Xeons are absolutely still in production, they're 14nm and super cheap to make. The latest generation is the E-2300, which is Rocket Lake, just like the 11th gen Core processors.

If you want a Xeon, here one is: https://www.newegg.com/intel-xeon-e-2324g-lga-1200/p/N82E16819118411

Has an iGPU, has ECC support, has 4 cores, what more could you need?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 14, 2023

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

A solution for also needing sata connections is an hba card. Art of server guy on ebay is great
Or even an m.2 to sata adapter (I used one of those for a while, they're surprisingly good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Sub Rosa posted:

As someone with an 804: how the gently caress did you fit all that in