Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

ChubbyChecker posted:

still more accurate than wikipedia or snopes

*sigh* I gotta bite. What's wrong with snopes? Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, so I get that, but I thought snopes was generally still respected as an urban legend site, even if all they do these days is debunk clickbait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I heard that Snopes got taken over by a chud, but I haven't actually seen anything from them in years.

A bunch of my stuff made to Photoshop Phriday but nothing went super viral I think. What seemed to last is a screenshot I made of the Colbert Report Threatdown, it pops up to this day if you search "colbert bears"

I'm pretty sure it's this one, though there's another one where he points at the bear like that.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

BiggerBoat posted:

I do not. And not for a lack of trying either.

Even if you can only fit a smaller boat I'd say that's pretty dang impressive too

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

TK-42-1 posted:

Somewhere David Cameron shifts in his chair without knowing why

Well this was prophetic.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Domus posted:

*sigh* I gotta bite. What's wrong with snopes? Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, so I get that, but I thought snopes was generally still respected as an urban legend site, even if all they do these days is debunk clickbait.

iirc it was a husband and wife running the site, divorce happened and now the one running the site just puts out stuff that's like "No joe biden is not senile, two thumbs down"

basically a shitlib propaganda machine

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

There was a particularly egregious one where they fact checked Bernie Sanders's statement that the average American household has a shockingly low net worth, which they rated as "not true" because this statistic included families with a negative net worth.

Also not really related but for some reason this came up while I was trying to search for that article.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Also not really related but for some reason this came up while I was trying to search for that article.

Because it's true and snoops felt we all must be warned before it's to late???

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I spent way too long making a dumb thing my brain said. Enjoy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

syntaxfunction posted:

I spent way too long making a dumb thing my brain said. Enjoy.

I like it. Thank you for the effort.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Haha

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

There was a particularly egregious one where they fact checked Bernie Sanders's statement that the average American household has a shockingly low net worth, which they rated as "not true" because this statistic included families with a negative net worth

that wasn't snopes, that was the washington post

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Garrand posted:

And as such, I give Maximum Tomfoolery's post four Pinocchios.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Garrand posted:

Were they also the ones that said saying Paul Ryan wanted to eliminate Medicare was "untrue" because there would still be something called Medicare even if it was completely gutted?

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

drat, I remembered there was a "mostly false" stamp, forgot that WP pulled that stunt for a while.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
wikipedia has a good summary of the drama, at this point neither of the original owners are involved whatsoever.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snopes

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Garrand posted:

Judgement: Guillotine

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Whoever is behind it the main shifts in Snopes coverage over the years have been:

1. Higher ratio of clickbaity summary links you have to click through vs being able to know if it's confirmed or denied from the recent list.
2. Inability to keep up with the ever-increasing rate of bullshit claims
3. Shittier website design, including search becoming less useful with years of stuff accumulating.

They were never absolutely 100% right in all their research and evaluations, just usually pretty good. And it was always inevitable that they were going to become non-credible in the eyes of people who really needed Michelle Obama to be born male or Joe Biden to have only made it through the debates because the DNC was feeding him answers via an earpiece or something. Those just happen to be more numerous and prominent than those who were similarly mad to be told that Walt Disney was not frozen or that Slenderman isn't based on some real-world murders.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I need an entire fuckin roll of these.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This sticker is prohibited then, because it's a sticker about stickers about stickers being prohibited, when only stickers about stickers being prohibited are exempt.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
THIS POST INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bike tory posted:

This sticker is prohibited then, because it's a sticker about stickers about stickers being prohibited, when only stickers about stickers being prohibited are exempt.

But it says that at least some stickers are prohibited. Therefore, whatever else it can be said to be about, it's also about stickers being prohibited, and hence it is permitted

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

SpacePig posted:

THIS POST INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Tha k you for reminding me about

V A P O R W A V E

and

S I M P S O N W A V E

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

By signs and portents shall these grim times be known

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Back in 2014 in Orlando the hotel I was in for a Magic: the Gathering Grand Prix (big regional tournament) was also hosting a sex toy MLM convention and a cheerleading competition for tweens. Some of the funniest elevator rides of my life that weekend.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

quote:

<Hiroe> he was dressed as a big ****in devil
<Hiroe> like, HUGE costume
<Hiroe> 8-foot lizard wings, giant horns on the head
<Hiroe> at some anime con in california
<Hiroe> they were double booked with a southern Baptist group in the same hotel
<Hiroe> he's riding the elevator down to the con space
<Hiroe> doors open, little old baptist woman standing there
<Hiroe> he just says "Going Down" in his best evil voice

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I think of that quote every single time I'm going down in a lift and someone gets on, on the way down. :allears:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Feel sorry for those poor Sexpo people lumped in with creepy weirdos.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Coward posted:

Feel sorry for those poor Sexpo people lumped in with creepy weirdos.

In my experience the people I've known *working* sexpo are normal and perfectly fine folks. Everyone I've known who has gone to sexpo as an attendee tho, they tend to have something going on that, as Hank Hill would say, just ain't right. Purely anecdotal tho.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Hyperlynx posted:

I think of that quote every single time I'm going down in a lift and someone gets on, on the way down. :allears:

Same here.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

syntaxfunction posted:

In my experience the people I've known *working* sexpo are normal and perfectly fine folks. Everyone I've known who has gone to sexpo as an attendee tho, they tend to have something going on that, as Hank Hill would say, just ain't right. Purely anecdotal tho.

My experience too. But probably still prefer to have a chat with attendees going into Door 8 than Door 4.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

nightmare blunt rotation

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

For a little context, that was at the Melbourne Exhibition Center this past weekend in Australia.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
At least ANIMAGA is not what I thought it was. (It's hard out here for a QAnon brony.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
You can't reference that comic and not post it. It's a masterpiece: