Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

unrelated but I recently realized that having an old reg date went from being a cool thing to being something that just pegs you as being an old fucker. nobody who's young and hip would have a reg date such as this. disgusting.

The neat thing is you can spend :10bux: and become 16 years old again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dog Case posted:

Somebody pointed out that regdate+username+post content was kind of funny and then everybody started freaking out about how they were freaking out
let's take this a few level further imo

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

unrelated but I recently realized that having an old reg date went from being a cool thing to being something that just pegs you as being an old fucker. nobody who's young and hip would have a reg date such as this. disgusting.

sounds like what a :regd05: would say

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nitrousoxide posted:

The neat thing is you can spend :10bux: and become 16 years old again.

No thanks.

I don’t want that kind of attention from the moderators.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

unlike my much later regdate, which belies my font of youth and beauty

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

:regd21:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Platystemon posted:

No thanks.

I don’t want that kind of attention from the moderators.

:drat:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Grassy Knowles posted:

you are right about large hex wrench and it being easier, but i highly prefer huge skinny pedal wrench for its portability. i love huge skinny pedal wrench, huge skinny pedal wrench is my friend as it is useful in many applications and easy to slip in a flat bag pocket.

field kit tangent:

the bike/skate repair kit I keep with me usually has two tubes, tube wrench, pedal wrench, two hex wrenches for the rest of my hardware, and a pedal. since i carry the same kit for rollerskating there’s also extra bearings, axel nuts, and a y tool. maybe stoppers if one is getting close to worn.

i dont have any kind of pump but its not hard to get to a free pump most places I could be at.

then this kit lives next to my first aid kit since they have a tendency to be useful at the same time. i come across enough folks in need of small bike help that it’s worth carrying the extra weight skating.

You can get a compact pump that would fit in a hip pack or whatever, but my favorite is the frame pump. I'd also drop one of the spare tubes and get pre-glued patches because they are like less than 1" cubed.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

if they make them a little bit taller then pedestrian fatalities will certainly go down as the truck can just drive over the heads of the schoolchildren and their crossing guard

edit: like this for pedestrians

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LIterallyABikeshop posted:

This is pretty interesting... Are the J01 style pads for wide rotor surfaces only then? I have to do some research

It’s the B pads that you have to watch out for. Everything else in Shimano’s current lineup is “narrow”, including D, G, H, J, K, L, and N.

If you find M05 (but not some other numbers) or E01 in the wild, those are wide.

Shimano doesn’t sell metal pads in wide format, because the calipers that use them aren’t rated for the heat, and the rotors that they fit against aren’t hardened.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Nov 14, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

when i'm forced to drive, I prefer that my car not make me look like a tiny little stupid baby

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Would be cool to see how bald those tires are in a few years once the guy realizes it'll cost him $2K to put new ones on.

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

Mauser posted:

when i'm forced to drive, I prefer that my car not make me look like a tiny little stupid baby

Don't worry. If you're driving this truck, they won't be able to see you, and you won't be able to see them unless they're at least 30 yards away.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

I had to rent one of these monstrosities while on a work trip because it was all that was available for the rental agency my company allowed, and it was the most miserable driving experience I've ever had. The inability to see anything going around me was terrifying and every single time I got out of it after a drive I was a nervous wreck.

You get used to it after a while, but the blind spots make it a guessing game in a tight urban environment. You just remember obstacles as they disappear and visualize their distance when maneuvering. I was the guy that routinely got out of the cab to double check in a tight spot and got poo poo for it. I also never had an accident too *taps head*.

I became much happier driving a small van for work and you can still tow most trailers with the hitch.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

FlutieFlake posted:

Don't worry. If you're driving this truck, they won't be able to see you, and you won't be able to see them unless they're at least 30 yards away.

i sent that pic to my wife and called it the child masher and she responded with a "arfff"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What are they?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiggum posted:

What are they?

Disc brake pads for bicycles, worn all the way through One weird trick to upgrade from resin pads to metallic!

Anyway, the solution to bad bicycle maintenance is communism.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 06:29 on Nov 14, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

do disc brakes wear out that fast? I think I've had the same pair of cheap rubber ones for over a decade

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

i say swears online posted:

do disc brakes wear out that fast? I think I've had the same pair of cheap rubber ones for over a decade

They can last thousands of kilometres of commutes, or you can go through a set in a weekend if you’re riding a chair lift up a mountain and descending over and over, especially in wet weather. Of course, with rim brakes, you’d either destroy the wheels doing that or die trying.

e: While I’m here, this is what happens in an extreme case of using the oddball wide calipers on standard narrow rotors:

The arms wear disproportionately fast and are liable to fail a the worst time, under heavy braking. Mine weren’t nearly this bad, and they were almost through a pair pads so it’s not like they were going to suddenly do that without me noticing.

But hey, free ninja star.

e2: Here’s one where the pads overhang the outside of the rotor and could eventually touch, rendering the brakes powerless.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 09:36 on Nov 14, 2023

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
If you live in Seattle and go up/down to capitol hill or queen Anne a lot your brakes will get replaced often.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the tyre noise from that freeway would be overwhelming

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

I have a 2 meter pipe that I bought as a lever to help remove an old rusty BB and now no pedal is beyond my power
cheater bars stay winnin

Platystemon posted:

Shimano doesn’t sell metal pads in wide format, because the calipers that use them aren’t rated for the heat, and the rotors that they fit against aren’t hardened.
Sounds like an all-around poo poo system not worth getting into then.

The pads can, depending on brand and compound. The discs not so much unless they're poo poo (shimano bimetallic, non-hardened, etc)

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 11:34 on Nov 14, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
lithium grease is great for getting stuff unstuck

big cheat levers work but should be last resort because u can overtorque and shear/break stuff pretty easy with em

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

Platystemon posted:

It’s the B pads that you have to watch out for. Everything else in Shimano’s current lineup is “narrow”, including D, G, H, J, K, L, and N.

If you find M05 (but not some other numbers) or E01 in the wild, those are wide.

going to print this out and put it on the wall of the shop, fascinating stuff! I've honestly just black-boxed a lot of this poo poo and stuck with the caliper manufacturers guidelines. Also i try to only buy unibody standard rotors because the ones that are aero or riveted together can get tricky to true

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Celexi posted:

If you live in Seattle and go up/down to capitol hill or queen Anne a lot your brakes will get replaced often.
That and your rims. That grit is just brutal, and then once your rims start initially wearing down there's the little metal shavings getting embedded in the pads and need to be removed. I learned wheelbuilding as a poor student to save money on all that.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FirstnameLastname posted:

lithium grease is great for getting stuff unstuck

big cheat levers work but should be last resort because u can overtorque and shear/break stuff pretty easy with em

if everyone started riding bicycles, the world's supply of lithium would immediately be exhausted

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

Berm Peak had a pretty convincing (at least to me) video that training wheels are not that great for teaching kids how to ride bikes, because they eliminate the possibility of the child learning how to maintain their balance, whether after having picked up speed, or while making a turn. Rather, his prescription was to either

- remove the pedals on a regular bike and drop the post low enough that the rider's feet can firmly reach the ground
- use a push bike (which doesn't have pedals at all)

the child gets their forward motion from pushing the bike along, and will learn how to maintain their balance that way, and once they know how to move at some speed, they can start trying to make turns, and if they lose their balance, they'll catch themselves with their feet

once they know how to keep their balance while moving and turning, adding "finding the pedals and working the pedals" is a much smaller lesson to learn

as a unlimited motorbike license holder: the easiest way to learn to balance a 2 wheeler is called "never look down"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://x.com/worldbollard/status/1723979053449756997

👌

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

fun napkin math on Robotaxis and the viability of self-driving cars

David Rosenthal: Robotaxi Economics

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

They never made sense once you realized that Uber/Lyft worked by pushing all expenses off onto the "partner" and paying them less than depreciation per mile

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They never made sense once you realized that Uber/Lyft worked by pushing all expenses off onto the "partner" and paying them less than depreciation per mile

I don't want to make a little bit of money every day, I want to make a gently caress ton of money all at once! (by leaving others holding the bag)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

and what if we also don't loving build and force car-centric communities and job practices

wait of course that's must be a very stupid question

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

you can go through a set in a weekend if you’re riding a chair lift up a mountain and descending over and over, especially in wet weather.

insane behavior wtf. totally unearned wind in the hair

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
An SUV jumped the curb and killed someone, oops https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/unhoused-man-struck-and-killed-on-toronto-sidewalk-in-hit-and-run-1.6644159

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1716905345967431892#m

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

corona familiar posted:

I don't want to make a little bit of money every day, I want to make a gently caress ton of money all at once! (by leaving others holding the bag)

Actually it's Uber holding the bag (it contains exploitation dollars).

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

having fun biking to get milk and bananas before breakfast, and that thought about if we had real public transportation along with most people biking, we wouldn't need cars, and then i looked at the F-150's lined up at the light and thought about climate change and lmao'd

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I went on a trip to the city center with my kid today, took the bus in, bought winter boots and a pastry, more bus, advent calendars and home by train. Very great, super chill. On our way from the station home, we went along a main road into the city. Just cars lined up as far as the eye could see, not moving much. And it occurred to me that in all those cars, there were probably fewer people than had been on our train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

insane behavior wtf. totally unearned wind in the hair

sounds fun, like a ski resort but for bikes!