Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

How close are you to a Micro Center?
I can make it to one. Why? It's been mentioned twice. Good prices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I know multiple people at this point who have purchased the PowerSpec G516 and been extremely pleased with what they get for the money. It has the Micro Center exclusive 5600X3D and a pretty decent GPU for less than you would likely spend doing a DIY build with "worse" parts from Amazon/Newegg/Best Buy. From what you're saying you're gonna use a computer for, I think this might actually be your best, or at least a better, option.

One person I know bought that prebuilt and then swapped the GPU for a 7800 XT and flipped the included 6650 XT on eBay and came out cheaper than building something roughly equivalent on his own.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

I know multiple people at this point who have purchased the PowerSpec G516 and been extremely pleased with what they get for the money. It has the Micro Center exclusive 5600X3D and a pretty decent GPU for less than you would likely spend doing a DIY build with "worse" parts from Amazon/Newegg/Best Buy. From what you're saying you're gonna use a computer for, I think this might actually be your best, or at least a better, option.

One person I know bought that prebuilt and then swapped the GPU for a 7800 XT and flipped the included 6650 XT on eBay and came out cheaper than building something roughly equivalent on his own.
Thanks. This is tempting, especially since it's on sale right now. What about the Intel/Nvidia one that's $850? I would assume it's even better, but it looks to be discounted from $999 just like the other one. Are they similar in power or is the $850 one better?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The AMD one is the better deal - the GPUs are about as powerful as one another, but the AMD 5600X3D is an official Special Little GuyTM and will give you better performance in more games on a longer timeline

edit: you'd also probably want to drop some more storage into the AMD one, but with SSD costs currently averaging around $40-50/tb you'd still easily come out ahead of the Intel build in cost even if you dropped in a couple terabytes

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 13, 2023

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

The AMD one is the better deal - the GPUs are about as powerful as one another, but the AMD 5600X3D is an official Special Little GuyTM and will give you better performance in more games on a longer timeline
Thanks. So it's the i7 2600K of today? The popular one everyone uses forever?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Actually that AMD CPU is an incredibly rare one that is only sold at Microcenter in low volumes because it's too dangerous to mass produce, it's a $200 CPU that outperforms the $500 ones at gaming specifically (and is worse at non-gaming tasks).

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

It probably would be if it weren't impossibly rare - the AMD AM4 socket has a chip called the 5800X3D, an 8-core 16-thread CPU that has an massive thwack of server-grade cache fused to the top of it which gives it a bigass boost in gaming performance. At the end of the AM4 lifecycle, AMD had some 5800X3D chips that had a defective core or two but were still otherwise usable - these were fused down to 6-core 12-thread CPUs and sold as the 5600X3D, but because they had so few of them they were only ever sold through Microcenter in tiny batches. They often perform within striking distance of some much heavier chart-toppers but are so hard to find that they're usually excluded from recommendations if you don't have one within arm's reach that second.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

I can make it to one. Why? It's been mentioned twice. Good prices?

Best in the industry, more or less. Through bizarre sorcery, they can often offer parts for up to US$100 less than online competitors. It's graphics cards they often get people on.

Anyway, I'm going to echo the chorus that you very badly need to fully replace that entire PC. From the look of the spec list you've posted, you built that in 2011, right? Unfortunately, at 12 years old, everything is end-of-life for support - Nvidia stopped releasing drivers for your card in 2018, the last official BIOS update was in 2012, and Intel stopped providing support updates to OS vendors and the like in 2019. You can push a year or two past EoL in this day and age if you want to, but five years later is getting into danger territory (even if the 2X00 series is still shockingly usable in even modern ray-traced games. And while I agree that I don't think your power supply is A Literal Bomb, 12 years old is when I would get extremely worried about its continued use-life.

If you can get to a Microcenter and don't want to fiddle with your own build, then yeah, that PowerSpec G516 would be right up your alley. It'll feel like a warp drive after being on Sandy Bridge and Fermi for so long. I'd say it might be worth it to wait a bit and see what Black Friday brings up, but I doubt the G516 is getting any cheaper, and with AMD 5000 series processors having just fallen out of production this year, the remaining supply of 5600X3Ds is what we've got.

Thanks. This is tempting, especially since it's on sale right now. What about the Intel/Nvidia one that's $850? I would assume it's even better, but it looks to be discounted from $999 just like the other one. Are they similar in power or is the $850 one better?

Worse, actually, for games. Significantly worse. The "X3D" series from AMD is some straight up Satan-hailing wizardry bullshit when it comes to game performance. The newest one, the 7800X3D, handily smokes processors twice as expensive as it (so, like, utterly top-line current Intel offerings, along with AMD's own top-end) and draws less power and produces less heat. The expanded cache memory on the chip actually does do wonders.

The G516 is the one you want. My only complaints about it are that it seems to have only one "m.2" slot (this is the big new fancy interface for solid-state drives that's become the main way of hooking those up over the past half decade or so) and the one SSD they have in there is pretty thin for a modern gaming machine, so if you want more space you'd have to go with an old and busted mSATA drive or replace the m.2 drive wholesale, but beyond that it looks good, especially for the price.

Possibly. The 5600X3D is limited to just Microcenter (and ebay), and it's looking like the 7800X3D is going to be the one that people will really remember, but the 5600 is still very much a Special Little Guy for the price.

Anyway, that is definitely a good deal and you actually are in The Desperation Zone for needing a full rebuild, so it's worth considering!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

The G516 is the one you want. My only complaints about it are that it seems to have only one "m.2" slot (this is the big new fancy interface for solid-state drives that's become the main way of hooking those up over the past half decade or so) and the one SSD they have in there is pretty thin for a modern gaming machine, so if you want more space you'd have to go with an old and busted mSATA drive or replace the m.2 drive wholesale, but beyond that it looks good, especially for the price.

I looked the board up and it's got a second M.2 kinda buried under the chipset in the bottom-right - it's wired to run with either SATA3 or PCIe3x2, so not the fastest slot on god's green earth but plenty for a game storage drive

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

Anyway, that is definitely a good deal and you actually are in The Desperation Zone for needing a full rebuild, so it's worth considering!
Thanks for the post. You mentioned Black Friday deals. I assumed that $699 was the Black Friday price. Is it normal for the G516 to be that cheap?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SpaceDrake posted:

From the look of the spec list you've posted, you built that in 2011, right? Unfortunately, at 12 years old, everything is end-of-life for support - Nvidia stopped releasing drivers for your card in 2018, the last official BIOS update was in 2012, and Intel stopped providing support updates to OS vendors and the like in 2019. You can push a year or two past EoL in this day and age if you want to, but five years later is getting into danger territory (even if the 2X00 series is still shockingly usable in even modern ray-traced games. And while I agree that I don't think your power supply is A Literal Bomb, 12 years old is when I would get extremely worried about its continued use-life.

What's dangerous about continuing to use old processors? There's a ton of those doing duty in peoples hand-me-downs, NASes, homelabs, and more, including psychos like me who are still playing current year AAA games on them, where the 2500K still puts up >60fps in a majority of titles like that video showed. You don't need to update BIOS unless there's a bug or missing support that you need fixed.

Windows 10 is supported through 2025 at least, and the handful of times that a game has needed newer instruction sets, the devs usually apologize and push out a patch that removes the requirement: https://gamingbolt.com/assassins-creed-odysseys-latest-pc-update-fixes-avx-issue.

poo poo, at my work we've got about a thousand servers running Sandy Bridge or older because power & cooling comes from a different budget than buying the servers. I'm not happy about it, but we've got a lot of Westmere that's still running, a full generation older than OP's 2500K.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Thanks for the post. You mentioned Black Friday deals. I assumed that $699 was the Black Friday price. Is it normal for the G516 to be that cheap?

It has been that price for about a month and a half. My assumption is they are trying to clear it out of inventory. I'm not anticipating the price going down any further, personally. They did this same thing with a 5800X3D/6950XT prebuilt a few months back. They had the price reduced to $1100 and when it was gone it was gone.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

It has been that price for about a month and a half. My assumption is they are trying to clear it out of inventory. I'm not anticipating the price going down any further, personally. They did this same thing with a 5800X3D/6950XT prebuilt a few months back. They had the price reduced to $1100 and when it was gone it was gone.
Thank you. You guys have been fantastic. I'm going to go with the G516. Thanks for all the help.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Don't yell at me but you could get another GTX 570 for 30 bucks shipped off ebay and if your computer was working well for what you needed its not wrong to keep using it. Backup your favorite files to a cloud provider if you're worried about spontaneous combustion.

edit: that's a pretty sick deal though on that microcenter machine

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

It is not; you are correct in that this basically is the BF deal. I meant that in the sense of "normally I'd say wait a bit, but". :v: I more meant that, if you're going to go the "upgrade the GPU and flip the 6650 RX on ebay" route, it'll be worth it to keep an eye out for the next few weeks, since some Good Deals could be in the offing. But no, this PC itself is unlikely to go any lower.

DoombatINC posted:

I looked the board up and it's got a second M.2 kinda buried under the chipset in the bottom-right - it's wired to run with either SATA3 or PCIe3x2, so not the fastest slot on god's green earth but plenty for a game storage drive

Ah, I see it now. It'd sure as hell help if Microcenter actually included that in the spec sheet under expansion slots, though :argh:

edit:

Twerk from Home posted:

What's dangerous about continuing to use old processors? There's a ton of those doing duty in peoples hand-me-downs, NASes, homelabs, and more, including psychos like me who are still playing current year AAA games on them, where the 2500K still puts up >60fps in a majority of titles like that video showed. You don't need to update BIOS unless there's a bug or missing support that you need fixed.

I was more trying to be comprehensive about everything that was outdated. If some kind of specific issue or vulnerability is found in Sandy Bridge, it might not get addressed or supported fully from the Intel side of things, but it's also been long enough that it seems unlikely such a thing will be found, and they are still very usable chips, it's true (it's why I linked that video of a 2500K getting shown off in 2023!) And lord knows Intel might feel compelled to help provide software updates to support all that legacy hardware that businesses refuse to stop using...

I absolutely agree that the power supply that's had current running through it for twelve years straight and the GPU that hasn't had driver updates for half a decade are a greater concern, at least for a machine that'll be online.

edit edit: also, since I feel like overposting and this came up on the previous page:

Holybat posted:

I have a GPU on my Christmas sales list. The question I have is if there's really any big difference in the manufacturers? I'm eyeballing this one here:

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-4070-gv-n4070wf3oc-12gd/p/N82E16814932611

But I see ones from Zotac and MSI so I figured I'd ask if I'd be ok with getting one of those instead

EDIT: like this one is a little bit cheaper
https://www.newegg.com/zotac-geforce-rtx-4070-zt-d40700e-10m/p/N82E16814500550

SpaceDrake posted:

Yeah, individual card manufacturers mostly come down to preferences on cooling solution, whether you want ~factory overclocking~, et cetera. None of the modern big brands really produce particularly bum coolers, and it mostly comes down to how loud they get under load, so it's mostly a matter of finding a good deal (and that's going to be an eagle-eyed hunt in the next few weeks, including the Black Friday-Cyber Monday holiday period), deciding how much Gamer RGB you want, and making sure the rest of your cooling solution, and case solution overall, can accommodate the needs and size of the card.

Basically, just browse PCPP, check the individual sites, maybe look at a few reviews, check the card length against your case (though PCPP should do this for you) and see what looks good. Gigabyte, Zotac, PNY, MSI, and Asus are all perfectly worth considering. (It still amuses me, seeing those PNY VERTO-badged boxes and cards after all these years. If the marketing ain't broke...)

I'm eyeing that Zotac Twin Edge myself (can't say no to $520 on Newegg, which is going away today but I fully assume will be back or better on Black Friday), and the only real complaint appears to be that, being a twin fan instead of triple, the fans have to work harder and get louder to keep the thing cool under load. The coolers etc. are all pretty comparable between brands otherwise, and there aren't serious differences these days, especially with chip manufacturers no longer allowing board-manufacturing partners to make significant layout/memory modifications.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 13, 2023

nullpunkt
May 6, 2007

not a substitute for human interaction
I've been trying to put together a new system as my old one is hitting its 10th birthday, mostly for flightsims and other niche stuff that the x3d versions seem to excel in. Don't really need the 4090 right now, but I figure I'll upgrade to 4k sometime soon and as all the graphics cards are hideously expensive anyway - why not just get the best one. Parts are mostly a mix of stuff that was recommended either here, on reddit or gamersnexus but I'm not really certain about any of it except the cpu. Does anything obvious stand out in this list?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (€386.93 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Silent Loop 2 360 73.33 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€154.44 @ notebooksbilliger.de)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (€303.90 @ Alza)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (€131.90 @ Alza)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€158.10 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Trinity GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card (€1775.99 @ Cyberport)
Case: NZXT H7 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case (€119.66 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 12 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€163.69 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €3194.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-13 21:28 CET+0100

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The only immediate one is that the Thermalright Peerless Assassin really is all the cooler you need for a 7800X3D, unless you plan on trying to OC it (which is somewhat limited anyway). So that can save you a good hundo. (Edit: Ah, I actually think that's the "Phantom Spirit" you want to look for in the EU.)

Also, are you certain you're going to use all the features on the Mag X670E Tomahawk (four m.2 slots, nine billion USB headers, et cetera), because if not, that's another place you could save a little while still getting plenty of features (ASRock in particular is producing some v. nice boards in the ~€150-€200 range).

The difference between CL30 and CL36 memory is also super negligible at DDR5-6000, so you could save a little there too. Ditto the Samsung 980 Pro vs 990 Pro.

Beyond that, looks all right for what you want to do, but I'll reiterate that the 4090 is "1000 watts or go home" territory. Remember that the PCPP wattage estimator is standard load, not potential maximum load, so actual power use can go a little higher depending on what you're doing.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 13, 2023

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Is the only downside to the Samsung 990 Pro it's high price? Reddit has a current offer for a 4 tb drive for $199 with a AAA membership (or military/government/EPP), and chase is currently offering 20% off on Samsung purchases, so I could get it for $160.

In theory, you could get another $20 off with RetailMeNot, but that seems like a can of worms that isn't worth $20 for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It’s a very good drive.

I didn’t realize my AAA membership could get me computer part discounts.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah, the main complaint is that it's a lot of money for what you get and the real value of transfer rates that high.

If you can get a 4TB drive of that quality for $200 or less, though, that is a motherfucker of a deal and is worth going for if you're in the market for a big SSD.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

nullpunkt posted:

I've been trying to put together a new system as my old one is hitting its 10th birthday, mostly for flightsims and other niche stuff that the x3d versions seem to excel in. Don't really need the 4090 right now, but I figure I'll upgrade to 4k sometime soon and as all the graphics cards are hideously expensive anyway - why not just get the best one. Parts are mostly a mix of stuff that was recommended either here, on reddit or gamersnexus but I'm not really certain about any of it except the cpu. Does anything obvious stand out in this list?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (€386.93 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Silent Loop 2 360 73.33 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€154.44 @ notebooksbilliger.de)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (€303.90 @ Alza)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (€131.90 @ Alza)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€158.10 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Trinity GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card (€1775.99 @ Cyberport)
Case: NZXT H7 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case (€119.66 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 12 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€163.69 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €3194.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-13 21:28 CET+0100

Functionally the same, but with different equivalents from other brands. 170 euros cheaper too.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (€377.94 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€99.90 @ Alza)
Motherboard: ASRock X670E PG Lightning ATX AM5 Motherboard (€267.69 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory (€121.38 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€108.89 @ notebooksbilliger.de)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (€87.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 1200 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€184.90 @ Alternate)
Total: €3024.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-14 01:46 CET+0100

Reasoning for changes:
Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360 is just as good as the one you picked, but 55 euros cheaper.
Still X670E if you feel like you need features that are exclusive to it, but went with a cheaper board that is still going to give you what you want.
G.Skill Flare X5 is a less flashy version of G.Skill Trident Z. The memory chips may be of lesser quality, but it's not something I'd expect you to notice unless you plan to do memory overclocking.
The Samsung 990 Pro is just really loving expensive, so swapped it to the WD Black SN770 at the same capacity. The SN770 is still great for a game drive.
Cut the cost of the case by going with the very highly rated Corsair 4000D Airflow, see video for why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYsOmJ9X7Ow
Took savings and invested in a higher capacity, A-tier PSU. You only had an 850W in your parts list, with an estimated wattage of 736W. The general rule of thumb is to go with a PSU of 1.5x the estimated usage since power draw is not a hard number. Your components will draw more power than their advertised TDP if allowed to, and at least with the previous gen GPUs there were transient load spikes of up to 2x the manufacturer stated TDP. Plus if you ever want to add more stuff to your PC you will need additional headroom.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Thank you. You guys have been fantastic. I'm going to go with the G516. Thanks for all the help.

IDK if you're still reading the thread, but in the event you are, the person I know who did the GPU swap bought an RX 7800 XT (MSRP $500-550 depending on board partner model) and then sold the RX 6650 XT that came with the system on eBay for $200 (which is just a bit less than the current going rate from most sellers), thereby subsidizing the 7800 XT to $300-$350. They had an $1100 budget and came in $50-$100 under budget this way. Like SpaceDrake said though, you might keep your eyes peeled for GPU sales as we get closer to BF/CM. The 7800 XT is still pretty new, so I'm not expecting a drop on them, but AMD 6900 XT/6950 XT, 6800 XT, Nvidia 4070/4070 Ti might get some price reductions. If you don't want to futz around with all this though, the 6650 XT is still a respectable card for 1080p high-ultra settings or 1440p low-medium settings.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I live in the USA.

I do not live near a Microcenter but I have family who does and could have them pick stuff up so kinda.

I'll be using the computer for games and productivity. For games, I'd like to be able to play something like BG3 on 1080 and highest settings without any problems, so nothing crazy. Id like the option to upgrade the graphics card in the future when income allows. For productivity, I'll be doing statistical modeling using R, Python and Stata (multilevel modeling, medium sized imputations, networks modeling in igraph and networkx, noodlin around with weirder stuff) with medium sized data sets (idk up to 5-15 gigs so nothing crazy here too) on Windows. No big ML things that need a specific graphics card to drive them, as far as I know everything is driven by CPU.

Budget is max about $1k but less is uh preferable.

Grad student with limited (zero) grant budget to buy computing resources since it's not something my field/institution has grants for, I have found out, so a dedicated workstation or budget for cloud computing is out. There's also the option of just putting off the gaming and graphics card part for a bit due to budget if the other parts start creeping up in price.

I have no idea if Intel vs AMD matters for my use case and honestly how to best prioritize my somewhat limited resources.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Does microcenter let you pay for stuff and have a family member pick it up?

Just saw the person that posted before me asked this too. I only ask because my mom got a fishing email on her venmo so deleted her entire account. Microcenter is a 20 minute drive for her, but a three hour drive for me.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

take me you ANIMAL posted:

Just saw the person that posted before me asked this too. I only ask because my mom got a fishing email on her venmo so deleted her entire account. Microcenter is a 20 minute drive for her, but a three hour drive for me.

You pay when you pick up. I think if you sent her the email with the order details, she’d be able to get your stuff no problem. Just be nice and make sure she’s OK with it first. :)

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I've been out of the loop for like a year on GPUs, do you still need to sacrifice your firstborn for an xx80/90 or can we actually expect some discounted cards on black Friday? (Also I'm from the UK, to make it extra impossible to predict)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Rookoo posted:

I've been out of the loop for like a year on GPUs, do you still need to sacrifice your firstborn for an xx80/90 or can we actually expect some discounted cards on black Friday? (Also I'm from the UK, to make it extra impossible to predict)

We'll see some discounts on BF, most likely, but at most a few hundred bucks, and you'll have to act quickly. Expect to still pay upwards of US$1000 for a 4080, and $Lol for a 4090. Those price brackets are here to stay, especially with cards selling out whenever they're in stock.

The 4070s (and the 7800XT/7900XT) will probably be the more interesting cards to keep an eye on.

nullpunkt
May 6, 2007

not a substitute for human interaction

Thank you both! I've switched over to Nvidians recommendations except for the Phantom Spirit from SpaceDrake post and the RAM since the price difference is marginal. Feeling really good about this.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

take me you ANIMAL posted:

I just had a friend pick something up for me, so I checked, and Microcenter explicitly says this is ok as long as they pay.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Microcenter doesn’t check to see if it’s you that ordered , at least they never have when I’ve ordered for pickup (last week even). I just tell them the name and what I ordered and they ring it up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
At $108, this seems like a good deal for an ITX case bundled with a Gold 700W PSU.

HYTE Revolt 3 Small Form Factor Premium ITX Computer Gaming Case with 700W 80+ Gold SFX Power Supply, Black

https://www.newegg.com/black-ibuypower-hyte/p/11-736-013?Item=11-736-013

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 14, 2023

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rinkles posted:

At $108, this seems like a deal deal for an ITX case bundled with a Gold 700W PSU.

HYTE Revolt 3 Small Form Factor Premium ITX Computer Gaming Case with 700W 80+ Gold SFX Power Supply, Black

https://www.newegg.com/black-ibuypower-hyte/p/11-736-013?Item=11-736-013

This is a banger of a deal and if I were building systems for any of my friends ATM I would pick one up

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

I live in the USA.

I do not live near a Microcenter but I have family who does and could have them pick stuff up so kinda.

I'll be using the computer for games and productivity. For games, I'd like to be able to play something like BG3 on 1080 and highest settings without any problems, so nothing crazy. Id like the option to upgrade the graphics card in the future when income allows. For productivity, I'll be doing statistical modeling using R, Python and Stata (multilevel modeling, medium sized imputations, networks modeling in igraph and networkx, noodlin around with weirder stuff) with medium sized data sets (idk up to 5-15 gigs so nothing crazy here too) on Windows. No big ML things that need a specific graphics card to drive them, as far as I know everything is driven by CPU.

Budget is max about $1k but less is uh preferable.

Grad student with limited (zero) grant budget to buy computing resources since it's not something my field/institution has grants for, I have found out, so a dedicated workstation or budget for cloud computing is out. There's also the option of just putting off the gaming and graphics card part for a bit due to budget if the other parts start creeping up in price.

I have no idea if Intel vs AMD matters for my use case and honestly how to best prioritize my somewhat limited resources.

Focused more on your needs for productivity, and allocated your budget as such with no thought for gaming. The CPU has integrated graphics, so you'll at least be able to use the computer without a dGPU until you can afford one. Someone else can tell me where I'm making errors in this build for you, and maybe get you the savings needed for a dGPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($364.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760 GAMING X AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA Legend 800 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($81.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.97 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $895.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-14 11:46 EST-0500

Deepest apologies, I completely missed that you have reasonable access to Micro Center. They have a 13700K bundle with a better motherboard and the exact same RAM I selected for your build that comes out cheaper than buying the parts individually. Adding an RX 6650 XT puts you $23 over your $1000 budget, but we might be able to wiggle something else down to keep you under that amount. The bundle is $499.99, so I've just set the CPU price to that, and zeroed out the price of the board and RAM that comes with it in this list.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($499.99)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z790-P WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: ADATA Legend 800 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($81.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.97 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 - V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1022.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-14 12:36 EST-0500

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 14, 2023

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

Focused more on your needs for productivity, and allocated your budget as such with no thought for gaming. The CPU has integrated graphics, so you'll at least be able to use the computer without a dGPU until you can afford one. Someone else can tell me where I'm making errors in this build for you, and maybe get you the savings needed for a dGPU.

This is why I didn't swoop in with my own overposting reply - given sugar free jazz's needs, I wasn't sure quite what to prioritize. It's a machine that needs to do reasonably serious academic work (so we prob. want a hexa-core and 32GB at minimum), but we also need to game on a fairly serious level, and it also needs to be $1k or less. Setting aside modern GPU price brackets, at some point the compromise has to come from somewhere; computers are cheap these days, but not that cheap.

Anyway, I'll second Nvidian's recommendation - you either need to compromise on GPU, or you need to compromise on CPU. That Microcenter bundle is already a Good Deal, unless you want to compromise more heavily on CPU to try and cram in a better GPU. What you're really looking to do is more realistically a $1200 system, rather than $1000 (you'd want to target a Radeon 7700/7800XT or something similar).

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

This is why I didn't swoop in with my own overposting reply - given sugar free jazz's needs, I wasn't sure quite what to prioritize. It's a machine that needs to do reasonably serious academic work (so we prob. want a hexa-core and 32GB at minimum), but we also need to game on a fairly serious level, and it also needs to be $1k or less. Setting aside modern GPU price brackets, at some point the compromise has to come from somewhere; computers are cheap these days, but not that cheap.

Anyway, I'll second Nvidian's recommendation - you either need to compromise on GPU, or you need to compromise on CPU. That Microcenter bundle is already a Good Deal, unless you want to compromise more heavily on CPU to try and cram in a better GPU. What you're really looking to do is more realistically a $1200 system, rather than $1000 (you'd want to target a Radeon 7700/7800XT or something similar).

I think based on their post that an RX 6650 XT would be solidly okay. They state they're wanting to play BG3 at highest settings at 1080p, and I believe that the 6650 XT will give them a 60fps experience in that situation. They're not getting super high frame rates or whatever, but I think it fits the bill. Obviously if we start talking about more intensive games, AAA with ray tracing for example, then the GPU is going to fall flat. Ultimately though, just from their post, I believe productivity outweighs the gaming needs for their stated goals. It appears they don't really have the necessary resources available to them for their coursework, and I believe this will provide it to them. Purely personal opinion here, and as such probably worthless, but I think their coursework is more important than gaming.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 14, 2023

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I really appreciate the advice! I definitely am more concerned about productivity than the games, so maybe waiting on the graphics card until a future date would be a good move. $1k is doable but a pretty big stretch. How worthwhile is it to wait for black friday deals?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

I really appreciate the advice! I definitely am more concerned about productivity than the games, so maybe waiting on the graphics card until a future date would be a good move. $1k is doable but a pretty big stretch. How worthwhile is it to wait for black friday deals?

You have nothing to lose, and possibly plenty to gain, by waiting for BF/CM sales. That said, the Micro Center CPU/Motherboard/RAM bundle is not going to become any cheaper. Other components are up in the air on price reduction. Based on your OP I assumed $1000 was your threshold, but if that's too much of a stretch and you need to aim for something cheaper let us know your realistic budget and we'll see what can be figured out.

Edit: Found a different bundle at Micro Center for an Intel Core i9-12900K, Z790 motherboard, and 32GB of DDR5-6000 CL36 RAM for $399.99. Swapped that in and changed to an older, but still fine, PC case to save a little bit more.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle
Again, you can omit the GPU for immediate cost savings since the CPU has basic built-in graphics. Frankly not sure where else to reduce prices without severely cutting into the production performance you need from a potential machine.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor ($399.99)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z790-V WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.00)
Video Card: PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.00 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 - V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $901.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-14 20:32 EST-0500

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 15, 2023

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Posting from my new build. Many thanks to the posters that helped me avoid some big pitfalls.

It's all good apart from my mobo not recognising the WD M2 SSD from my old system. It's dated 2019 so I don't know if it's too old to work on my new build. I had it screwed in to the mobo, and the connector seemed to fit OK, but it wasn't registering as a storage device.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Posting from my new build. Many thanks to the posters that helped me avoid some big pitfalls.

It's all good apart from my mobo not recognising the WD M2 SSD from my old system. It's dated 2019 so I don't know if it's too old to work on my new build. I had it screwed in to the mobo, and the connector seemed to fit OK, but it wasn't registering as a storage device.

Do you know if that WD M.2 SSD is using PCIe or SATA? Do you have any other drives installed, especially 2.5"/3.5" SSDs or HDDS that plug into the SATA connectors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Branch Nvidian posted:

Canada Computers has this deal https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=&item_id=247953&sid=ut8m96adn1gnc3ttik6no95fc3 which isn't bad! 7700X, B650 motherboard with Wifi6, and 32GB of RAM.

I'm still dithering about with the GPU and what not but I did pull the trigger on this, thanks for pointing it out.