Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I liked this episode except for the Margot part which took a whole lot of time to show us nothing at all.

I halfway expected Ed to die during the asteroid mission despite all the promotional material making it seem like he will live forever.

MarcusSA posted:

I’m really happy the guy from home alone cleaned up his act after getting out of jail and rose to be the head of nasa.
Oh hello Daniel Stern. I really liked that character, very corporate without being a complete sleazeball. The speech he gave to Danielle was the perfect guilt trip while also being weirdly "what about our sunk cost?"

MarcusSA posted:

I've have some time to think about it and I kinda feel like the show would be better overall with out all the dramatic space poo poo and emergencies. I dunno I get why they do it but I'd be good with the show moving things forward without all that.
maybe this but the exact opposite

every week just 1:10 of Space Mistakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBFuiHZRylY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

these people are way too eager and willing to kill themselves to like secure an asteroid. there are going to be other asteroids

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

FIRST MAN ON AN ASTEROID

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mustache Ride posted:

FIRST MAN ON AN ASTEROID

Yeah this was kinda weird. Like grasping a straws for first time poo poo lol

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Oil rig guy reminded me that I’m still pissed there wasn’t a sequel to Rock n Rolla.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm not particularly excited about another season of "oh no, some astronauts died and now they're gonna defund space exploration" so i hope they skip over that and get to M-7 overthrowing capitalism to make the Federation.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The accident felt like a really contrived "hey we need to kill a couple guys" thing because it seemed ridiculous for anyone to go out when a big structure is visibly flexing like that, like what are a couple of spacewalkers going to do about it? Something about "retightening cable" yeah bud good luck with that. I mean yeah obviously it was a doomed effort from the start and I can get Ed being a total dumbass who thinks anything can be solved with gumption, but everyone else should have been screaming "this is a suicide attempt what the gently caress is wrong with you guys"

Also sucks that the guy on the ground is getting canned but not Ed, like okay sure ultimate command responsibility and all but if the commander orders them not to do it and Ed the XO is all "gently caress it, go get 'em cowboy" and said cowboy gets killed, how is that not grounds to fire Ed too?

Although that said I gotta wonder about staffing at NASA if the bench is so shallow they gotta beg and plead a retired astronaut to go back.

GABA ghoul posted:

The Soviet newscaster said "star city" in English when talking about their own space program and speaking in Russian to a Russian audience. I hope the whole production team has been fired for this blunder.

The bigger thing that stood out to me was use of the term "Roscosmos", which is specifically a post-Soviet institution.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I've complained in here about the show's pretty cavalier approach to Space Death, since accidents irl in both space and aviation get huge amounts of investigation and follow-up. I do think that criticism stands, especially for important firsts like "first space hotel" or "mission to Mars" — you just can't afford to get a ton of people killed when you try it, it will mean no more of that kind of mission for a long time!

But I guess if space is becoming as routine as oil drilling then "people make stupid mistakes enabled by institutional neglect and get killed" is fairly true to life :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why didn't they just stop burning? "The cables are going nuts and are too stressed!" "Shut down the engines and let's figure out what's going on." Instead of just keeping on trucking and hoping it all works out.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
well yeah they don't have Space OSHA to write the regulations in gallons of human blood like Earth OSHA

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In space no one can hear you scream

including OSHA

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Although that said I gotta wonder about staffing at NASA if the bench is so shallow they gotta beg and plead a retired astronaut to go back.

In this case the retired astronaut was commander of the first US mission to Mars, and the first commander of the very base she's going back to.

I wonder if it ever came out that they'd been told to not do the Apollo/Soyuz and just went ahead anyway

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm guessing she's also the only astronaut left who they think could actually hold Ed on a tight leash. The only other astronaut left from their generation is the former president, and as awesome as it would be to watch ex-POTUS travel to mars to chew Ed out, that's a bit too absurd for this show still.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Margot made me fondly remember when my Russian professor completely crushed my balls by telling me my pronunciation was excellent but my grammar was "beyond terrible".

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Slashrat posted:

I'm guessing she's also the only astronaut left who they think could actually hold Ed on a tight leash. The only other astronaut left from their generation is the former president, and as awesome as it would be to watch ex-POTUS travel to mars to chew Ed out, that's a bit too absurd for this show still.
Now that you’ve put the idea in my brain… I’m pretty sure they’ll send POTUS to space at some point. It’s too tempting to not do it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Now that you’ve put the idea in my brain… I’m pretty sure they’ll send POTUS to space at some point. It’s too tempting to not do it.

Finally Gore can ride the mighty moon worm.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

General Battuta posted:

I've complained in here about the show's pretty cavalier approach to Space Death, since accidents irl in both space and aviation get huge amounts of investigation and follow-up. I do think that criticism stands, especially for important firsts like "first space hotel" or "mission to Mars" — you just can't afford to get a ton of people killed when you try it, it will mean no more of that kind of mission for a long time!

But I guess if space is becoming as routine as oil drilling then "people make stupid mistakes enabled by institutional neglect and get killed" is fairly true to life :(

Yeah if we could realistically mine asteroids that had more palladium or whatever then has been mined in the history of Earth, they would throw as many bodies as needed at it.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

CubanMissile posted:

Yeah if we could realistically mine asteroids that had more palladium or whatever then has been mined in the history of Earth, they would throw as many bodies as needed at it.

Where do i sign?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
groaning aloud seeing loving Ed still serving as mission commander and pilot, loving DIE ALREADY

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"We need someone up there who can reign in Ed"
"Why not just fire Ed?"

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I actually watched the episode and aside from the usual truly terrible decisions on the part of are brave astronauts (what were you possibly hoping to accomplish???) I thought it was…fineish? Maybe I’m just addled by House of Usher filling my brain with paint fumes.

Anyone with a few hours in KSP would’ve known that whole asteroid setup was doomed and exactly how it’d fail, though

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Wheeljack posted:

The one about the M-7 nations has Mexico as part of the alliance… as a Soviet-aligned country.

Yeah Mexico went communist between S2 and S3.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It’s wild that they’re still on Dani and Ed and Aleida and Margo though. Four seasons into this show and they haven’t built up anyone to replace the (very strong!!) original cast they’ve retired. It’s baffling.

Also lol: “People respect you! Americans, Russians, even the North Koreans!” Hmm there’s something glaringly odd about this choice of three nations

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What's stupid is that they have added new characters over the seasons. They opted to kill or fridge them in order to keep Ed/Dani/Aleida/Margot around.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Aleida is barely a first gen character, she really only became the character she is now when they cast Coral Pena in the second season. Before that she was basically a floating symbol of something or other.

Plus there's Kelly who's stuck around to this season, and Dev from the prior one. I'd be surprised if they weren't going to stick with each of them for at least another season.

Also, if they're smart, they'll capitalise on giving Will that one-off subplot and give him more to do this year, but he's not a regular so we'll see.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
excited to see what they can do with this new "Albert Gore" character. a little milquetoast but maybe he'll get some development

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Aleida is barely a first gen character, she really only became the character she is now when they cast Coral Pena in the second season. Before that she was basically a floating symbol of something or other.

Plus there's Kelly who's stuck around to this season, and Dev from the prior one. I'd be surprised if they weren't going to stick with each of them for at least another season.

Also, if they're smart, they'll capitalise on giving Will that one-off subplot and give him more to do this year, but he's not a regular so we'll see.

Of course Kelly will stick around. She is raising the first son of Mars who will inevitably be the main character in 2 seasons.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

"We need someone up there who can reign in Ed"
"Why not just fire Ed?"

Ed doesn't work for NASA, he works for Helios.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Honestly both Danny and Karen being gone from the show, it feels like a huge weight has been lifted. Too bad about Kuz but I'm pretty optimistic all told.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
fast forwarded through a bunch of this :jerkbag:

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Senor Tron posted:

Ed doesn't work for NASA, he works for Helios.

Even so, with all the cooperation going on, you'd think ignoring a direct order that leads to two people dying would earn him a one way ticket back to his kid and grandchild he doesn't want to see.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I was surprised there wasn't any technobabble about Ed either having to leave Mars by date X or never being able to leave Mars again since his body has acclimated to the (roughly) third-of-Earth's-gravity on Mars.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

General Battuta posted:

Anyone with a few hours in KSP would’ve known that whole asteroid setup was doomed and exactly how it’d fail, though

As soon as they started shooting the “anchors” for the cables I knew it was hosed. The thing is a pile of rubble, what exactly are you anchoring to?!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I also spent the entire time wondering what they thought they were doing and was satisfied when it failed. Though it would've been funnier if they pushed on it and the whole thing just came apart in a cloud immediately.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I was half expecting Kuz' arm to just sink shoulder-deep into gravel when he first tried to grab onto the asteroid

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Open Source Idiom posted:

I feel like when they introduced Aleida, they gave it some weird sort of gravitas, like she was gonna save the world or something. Like if you were filming a scene in Rivendell, and they introduced a kid named Aragorn who was going to be staying with them for a while. But maybe I was just looking way too into it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Aleida was obviously gonna achieve the American Dream and become a spaceperson. She was also one of the only ways they could squeeze in a non-white actor. She and Danielle are how the show avoids talking about race.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
She’s gonna find out Margot is alive, and it’s gonna magically fix her PTSD.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

CubanMissile posted:

She’s gonna find out Margot is alive, and it’s gonna magically fix her PTSD.

By replacing it with burning vengeance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Madurai posted:

By replacing it with burning vengeance.

the show's not that good at writing op. she'll find out after the evil russians blackmail her again