Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

new hess truck looks like poo poo

It's back? For Christmas this year? OMG OMG OMG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I went to a play on Saturday evening. it wss done by seniors in an MFA program. At the end, the cast entreated the audience to provide donations so they could pay for headshots and other things they would need for their careers. There was a QR code on the program. someone collected the programs on exit so you couldn't keep them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I dunno if it got worse or was always poo poo, or if I am just an old man weirdo. But Reddits interface sucks, in a desktop browser anyway. Popups everywhere when your mouse cursor hovers over things and accidentally click somewhere and 99% chance it hits a link and goes somewhere you did not want.

Real bad for me who like to use my mouse to highlight text I read (force of habit, makes it easier to focus) so I often click all over pages. When I select text it also produces a popup. Accidentally clicked some whitespace and it hid a post and made everything jump, so jarring. Everything is too reactive on this site.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I dunno if it got worse or was always poo poo, or if I am just an old man weirdo. But Reddits interface sucks, in a desktop browser anyway. Popups everywhere when your mouse cursor hovers over things and accidentally click somewhere and 99% chance it hits a link and goes somewhere you did not want.

Real bad for me who like to use my mouse to highlight text I read (force of habit, makes it easier to focus) so I often click all over pages. When I select text it also produces a popup. Accidentally clicked some whitespace and it hid a post and made everything jump, so jarring. Everything is too reactive on this site.

does old.reddit.com no longer work?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I don't use reddit enough to even know about old.reddit.com until you said it just now, will try it out.

e: Yeah this is a lot better, thanks!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You can get an addon to force it and it's seamless, never see new reddit again.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
If you want mobile reddit without the terrible interface Relay for Reddit is a good app

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

Outrail posted:

How high were you?

The last movie night we had was just four hours of the DVD menu repeating

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

While I'm on a roll.... These chat/faq/contact widgets that pop up in corners. Hate the poo poo out of them. On some webpages they actually get in the way of actual links I wanna click.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Absolutely, I have to wonder if anybody actually uses those

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Global Disable of modal overlays would fix all of this, there was supposedly an add-on for Firefox at one time that did exactly that and only that, but I can't find anything.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

There's a ublock origin script which blocks them, if you check the reddit, should be in the first few pages from what I remember.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

ArmedZombie posted:

trash removal should be a municipal service. private for profit companies are just another leech on the system.

pages back, but the one thing the City of San Diego gets correctly is that all or most residential trash services are delivered by the city and paid for by property taxes.

loving :lol::lol::lol: that boomers get huffy about throwing away dog poo in :airquote: their :airquote: trash cans. As I like to point out "Oh you mean the ones that say Property Of The City Of San Diego on them? the one paid for by municipal taxes? :allears:"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Over here trash collection is a weird public private mix and attempts to make it more regulated is met by resistance by nearly all. I don't know why, I see 2-3 different trash companies collecting trash from our street, how can that be better than the municipality making a contract with one single company to handle an area. Everyone just says it'll become a monopoly, service will get worse, more expensive etc etc. Like they're all brainwashed into repeating republican talking points, but this is finland?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Raged posted:

After living in Australia for almost 22 years and raising a daughter I am going to have to leave the country and not get perm residency. Good times.

Talk about a humblebrag.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

steinrokkan posted:

Absolutely, I have to wonder if anybody actually uses those

I've used them once or twice. But usually when I go hunting them down anyway. It's the online version of sales staff bugging you when you're browsing and smoke bombing away when you a tually want help.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

people use em a lot actually lol. get used to them, you'll be seeing way more.

edit: i hate earth!!!!

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Duck and Cover posted:

gently caress off Microsoft 365 I will never pay annually for Word/Excel/Power Point. Like just because there's a Customer Return thing some idiot decided should be a docx doesn't mean I'm going to register for your poo poo. When I try to close the window it does nothing which is a nice touch, maybe you can in the future also disable task manager... wait a second alt f4 gets me out after 3ish times each with dialog box telling me poo poo I don't want. Bringing up task manager is the way to go.

Use libreoffice as a docx viewer and office 2003 with docx plugin for writing. I so wish I could trust o2003 with viewing files I didnt write because it opens instantly on modern PCs.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Vampire Panties posted:

pages back, but the one thing the City of San Diego gets correctly is that all or most residential trash services are delivered by the city and paid for by property taxes.

loving :lol::lol::lol: that boomers get huffy about throwing away dog poo in :airquote: their :airquote: trash cans. As I like to point out "Oh you mean the ones that say Property Of The City Of San Diego on them? the one paid for by municipal taxes? :allears:"

That cracks me up every time people are upset and complain online about. And general trash like cans, wrappers etc. I'm 50/50 on using the excess space in your trash can, i'm 100% cool with it if you put it in there the morning of pickup though.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

if some boomer tells you to stop using their trash to drop a sack of dog poop just discreetly dump it in their yard instead, gently caress em

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Faustian Bargain posted:

if some boomer tells you to stop using their trash to drop a sack of dog poop just discreetly dump it in their yard instead, gently caress ‘em

Lol how exactly are they going to stop you?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Vampire Panties posted:

I loving hate this. Like I get their point of view maybe they dont want diseased dog turds smeared across the inside of their trash can but you gotta have vision that stops at the end of your nose to not see the immense social benefit of letting stranger put things into your trash can instead of just littering which is whats going to happen.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

is pepsi ok posted:

I was kinda confused by this at first but I think I know what you mean - those paper bags people fill up with leaves and put at the curb, right?

I live in the tropics so we don't really get leaves like that. I'm talking about those big black trash bags that you fill with yard waste like twigs and bush trimmings. Anything remotely hard pokes right through these lovely new bags I got.

Old post.. But what??

You guys throw twigs and leaves into plastic trash bags??

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I've used the same Office 2007 on every home computer I've had since I Files'd it back in college.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tokelau All Star posted:

I've used the same Office 2007 on every home computer I've had since I Files'd it back in college.

LibreOffice :smug:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Internet Old One posted:

Use libreoffice as a docx viewer and office 2003 with docx plugin for writing. I so wish I could trust o2003 with viewing files I didnt write because it opens instantly on modern PCs.

I could go and probably have gone years without ever touching a .doc/.docx. When I do I can just convert them into pdf and read/print them.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

doctorfrog posted:

It's gone from "let's be subtle with our changes and hope no one notices" to "gently caress 'em, 6.5 oz of lunch meat is now 'FAMILY SIZE.'"

gently caress'em size

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Internet Old One posted:

I loving hate this. Like I get their point of view maybe they don’t want diseased dog turds smeared across the inside of their trash can but you gotta have vision that stops at the end of your nose to not see the immense social benefit of letting stranger put things into your trash can instead of just littering which is what’s going to happen.

If they get upset about your diseased dogshit being properly disposed of in a municipal bin, maybe they'd prefer it if you smeared your diseased dogshit under the handle of the bin instead. Only one way to find out.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Vampire Panties posted:

Trash goes in trash can? I don't get these people. Would they rather have litter and dog poo poo on the ground instead of in the garbage can?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Someone is attempting to catfish me on my work phone and they got bored and gave up before I detonated my marriage or lost a kidney

Scammers these days just dont want to work

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the plastic pump bottles you twist to open not having the pump come out.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I know this is a very "old man yells at cloud" thing to say, but if feels like nothing works the way it's supposed to.

I was talking to someone who needed to get something looked at by their doctor and they were dreading it because they knew it would take multiple visits for the doctor to take them seriously. Then it would take months of phone calls with their health insurance to get the payment sorted out.

Everything is like this:
  • Doctors
  • Insurance
  • Banking
  • Car and home repairs
Anything more complicated than walking into a store and buying a thing is just assumed to go wrong on the first attempt and everyone understands this.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

wash bucket posted:

I know this is a very "old man yells at cloud" thing to say, but if feels like nothing works the way it's supposed to.

I was talking to someone who needed to get something looked at by their doctor and they were dreading it because they knew it would take multiple visits for the doctor to take them seriously. Then it would take months of phone calls with their health insurance to get the payment sorted out.

Everything is like this:
  • Doctors
  • Insurance
  • Banking
  • Car and home repairs
Anything more complicated than walking into a store and buying a thing is just assumed to go wrong on the first attempt and everyone understands this.

One year they gave me some incomprehensible refund from my mortgage. This year they complained that about that much money was missing from my escrow and made me pay it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Oh, that 4.99 price on the shelf? No, that's only for our Superduper Saver Club Membership, step aside and install our app and give us all your personal info and confirm your email and confirm your phone number and add your credit card and share the coupon with all your contacts in order to activate it first

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

wash bucket posted:

Everything is like this:
  • Doctors
  • Insurance
  • Banking
  • Car and home repairs

Car and home (and I'll add electronics) repairs by someone else I think have always been like this, mainly because it's work that often takes more than a casual hour and making sure you have parts on hand on top of assuming the problem was correctly diagnosed. I've dealt with all ranges of poo poo in all those areas and none of it was ever surprising and the worst ones were probably because I went to the wrong or incompetent place to begin with. It was tedious and I hate every second of it

everything else has 100% gotten worse

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Sentient Data posted:

Oh, that 4.99 price on the shelf? No, that's only for our Superduper Saver Club Membership, step aside and install our app and give us all your personal info and confirm your email and confirm your phone number and add your credit card and share the coupon with all your contacts in order to activate it first

867-5309

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Facebook groups, like most groups, get dumber the more people engage with it.

There's a couple Facebook groups I am part of (I know, I'm bringing this upon myself) that post funny diagrams, funny images, graphs, charts, things found in mostly data science textbooks that are funny. The singular rule is, no memes, all original content (meaning, I believe, it had to be an image you took yourself, or maybe even a screenshot -- the point is, you're not sharing something someone else shared). Okay, that's two rules, I guess. These are fun groups, I like them, I engage with them and it's fun. The problem is, as these groups get bigger, occasionally people start posting memes and then get called out, and someone will be like, "Why can't we just post memes?" To help engagement, many of them have taken to including a "Wild Wednesday" rule, where on this one day you can post memes and unoriginal content. On any of these groups there are one or two posts a day, but come Wednesday, it's hundreds of posts. So like, I just imagine all these data science geeks edging all fuckin week for Wednesday to come around so they can post, I don't know, the back catalog of garbage they've been collecting all week? Eventually, as these groups get bigger and bigger, unoriginal content and memes become just sort of common and nobody cares, even though it defeats the entire reason the group was created in the first place! I am here because I want to see REAL DIAGRAMS that are funny, not ANOTHER picture of Drake being cool with SQL schemas

I'm also in a few Facebook groups that are, ostensibly about interesting things found around the town I live in. It used to be, we'd submit photos of art, or an interesting rock formation someone piled together, I don't know, just little things from around town. But over time, it happens with all these groups, as more people join, the images become less and less about art and rocks and more about drug addicts, the unhoused, and the amount of anger and hate the town has for these people. You can see it over time, a new group forms that's like Hey this town we live in is interesting! 100 members, it's great. 400 members we're having a great time. 1000 members holy smokes it's getting some real attention. 2000 members wow there is a lot of complaining about things. 5000 members okay, yes there are a lot of unhoused people in this town 10000 members loving kill the homeless and execute the drug addicts, this town is unsafe to live in, it didn't used to be this way, when I was a kid, look at this picture of this addict sleeping in the cold, etc. etc.

But these groups still all have names like 100% Original Photos You Took No Memes No Repeats and Fun Wholesome Things You Saw In Town Be Nice :) :) :)

credburn fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 15, 2023

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
da fwiggin mods!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

wash bucket posted:

Everything is like this:
  • Doctors
  • Insurance
  • Banking
  • Car and home repairs

:yeah: I've noticed this too. I'm learning to approach every situation with no expectations that I'm gonna actually succeed at the errand the first or even second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

skooma512 posted:

:yeah: I've noticed this too. I'm learning to approach every situation with no expectations that I'm gonna actually succeed at the errand the first or even second time.

This especially owns if you have ADHD and telephone anxiety