Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

I wonder if there's ever been a mid-season game that had both coaches fired afterwards before

It should have happened after almost every Iowa game this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
I know they got shellacked as well this weekend, but man it feels premature as hell to not even give him (Arnett) a full season after such a high-profile loss.

Also I could see A&M going after Kiffin sadly - I know Ole Miss shat the bed in their two biggest games this year but I could very easily see their top brass thinking something along the lines of "Well, if Lane could take that second rate-rear end program to 10-2 (theoretically) in the SEC West, imagine what he could do with us". SEC schools always have that air of "temporarily embarrassed SEC champs/playoff contenders" even when we really shouldn't (except Vandy).

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Ugly John posted:

SEC schools always have that air of "temporarily embarrassed SEC champs/playoff contenders" even when we really shouldn't (except Vandy).

I've seen this said about the poor people who vote republican, and I can't think of any more appropriate league to apply this to.

Anyway, this carousel is going to be crazy. Leipold and Kleiman had better land "last stops" this year, otherwise, people are just dumb.

Jeff Traylor might get the tires kicked. I don't think Kingsbury winds up a head coach again any time soon. More likely a proper coordinator position rather than his demi-OC with Lincoln thing he's doing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Azrial posted:

Anyone that has more than four million dollars in their bank account and continues working is a psychopath and I'm willing to adjust downwards significantly.

Not an emptyquote.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1724083844469359046?s=19

"You can't fire me, I quit"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mississippi State has also been missing their starting quarterback, running back and best wide receiver recently. Shockingly this has been bad for the offense. But I get why they’d want a clean slate in Starkville.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Ugly John posted:

I know they got shellacked as well this weekend, but man it feels premature as hell to not even give him (Arnett) a full season after such a high-profile loss.Also I could see A&M going after Kiffin sadly - I know Ole Miss shat the bed in their two biggest games this year but I could very easily see their top brass thinking something along the lines of "Well, if Lane could take that second rate-rear end program to 10-2 (theoretically) in the SEC West, imagine what he could do with us". SEC schools always have that air of "temporarily embarrassed SEC champs/playoff contenders" even when we really shouldn't (except Vandy).

The Lake Wobegon effect of college football. All our OLmen can block, all our QBs are good looking, and all our skilled players are above average.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Maybe A&M will pull the ultimate in state coup and steal Sark from Texas. IMO that's the largest driver of this: in spite of loving up the second half of games by taking the foot off the gas and having the wheels fall off on offense, Sark has done well recruiting on both sides of the ball, in particular the lines and has Texas on an upward trajectory on their way into the SEC and playing A&M regularly again and in that time, A&M has stayed mid.

This doesn't change the fact that I don't think Sark can get the team to a championship until he shows more complete games. He has definitely raised the floor and got the team stable again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Neil Armbong posted:

Maybe A&M will pull the ultimate in state coup and steal Sark from Texas. IMO that's the largest driver of this: in spite of loving up the second half of games by taking the foot off the gas and having the wheels fall off on offense, Sark has done well recruiting on both sides of the ball, in particular the lines and has Texas on an upward trajectory on their way into the SEC and playing A&M regularly again and in that time, A&M has stayed mid.

This doesn't change the fact that I don't think Sark can get the team to a championship until he shows more complete games. He has definitely raised the floor and got the team stable again.

It's so hard to tell.

I do get the logic that I see a lot that we've gone from losing close games to winning close games, and that the natural progression would be winning non-close games against teams we should beat on paper. But it's hard to watch and not just go "Well, we got unlucky last year and lucky this year."

We all loved doing the Sumlin-Fisher comparison, well Tom Herman was 22-13 at this point in his tenure and Sark is now 22-13.

Anyway I don't think A&M is champing at the bit to get Sark.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

It's so hard to tell.

I do get the logic that I see a lot that we've gone from losing close games to winning close games, and that the natural progression would be winning non-close games against teams we should beat on paper. But it's hard to watch and not just go "Well, we got unlucky last year and lucky this year."

We all loved doing the Sumlin-Fisher comparison, well Tom Herman was 22-13 at this point in his tenure and Sark is now 22-13.

Oh, totally. I'm trying to be more positive and generous when discussing Sark. The second halves of a majority of games this season have been excruciating to watch as the team pisses away a lead and looks inept on offense after being fairly competent on offense in the first half. That seems squarely on coaching and game planning vs player execution and why I think he doesn't have the acumen to lead a team to a championship.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 13, 2023

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Neil Armbong posted:

Didn't Jimbo pull the #1 recruiting class in 2022? Surely they thought he can keep recruiting but hate his gameplan, rigth?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Maxwells Demon posted:

Didn't Jimbo pull the #1 recruiting class in 2022? Surely they thought he can keep recruiting but hate his gameplan, rigth?

Most of that class transferred away

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

C-Euro posted:

Not an emptyquote.

Eh, $4m seems low but it depends on what you're doing with your life. You can maintain an upper middle class lifestyle for 40 or 50 years. The problem is that you don't have the excess to really use all of the free time you have.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Sash! posted:

Eh, $4m seems low but it depends on what you're doing with your life. You can maintain an upper middle class lifestyle for 40 or 50 years. The problem is that you don't have the excess to really use all of the free time you have.

Yeah based on the "live on 3% of the principal" rule that's an annual income of $120k. Certainly solid, and in some areas pretty comfortable. But my wife and I combined make nearly double that, and with mortgage and day care I don't like we could get by on that size of an income where we live.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

I'm so happy

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
I haven't watched many Texas games but it's odd seeing a competent Sark after what I remember as incredibly mid to underwhelming when he was at UW. I guess he just needed better recruiting?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Benne posted:

Man that feels a bit cold. He had a thankless job replacing the late Leach and didn't even get to finish the season.

I’d be more sympathetic but he replaced Leach and immediately chucked Leach’s offense into the trash.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I haven't watched many Texas games but it's odd seeing a competent Sark after what I remember as incredibly mid to underwhelming when he was at UW. I guess he just needed better recruiting?

Calling Sark competent is a bit of a stretch given how Texas blows the 4th quarter every week

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Calling Sark competent is a bit of a stretch given how Texas blows the 4th quarter every week

As I said haven't watched many games was mostly looking at record. :shrug:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Not really coaching carousel talk, but we really should have lost the last 2 games, and got bailed out by very unlikely turns of event. (K State went for the 2-pt conversion instead of taking it to OT when they had us dominated in the second half, and Adonai Mitchell making a hell of a catch to convert a 3rd down that we had no business converting to run out the clock.)

All these second-half collapses are obviously on Sark and they keep happening.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spaced God posted:

Most of that class transferred away

"Most" is an exaggeration as of today.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Not so fast my friend!

He's still not competent and has tried his best to lose quite a few games with second half game plan when the team has a lead.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

You wanna see some really wild numbers, wait for A&M to extend whatever coach manages to break through and win the SEC/a playoff game. That’d break into “board seat on multiple F200 oil company” figures.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

All these second-half collapses are obviously on Sark and they keep happening.

And may they continue until the season ends.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

a neat cape posted:

I'm so happy

Congrats!

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

At this point I don’t know if Pittman is going to come back to coach the Hogs next season. I dunno many coaches who could’ve done anything with that godawful team.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Rags to Liches posted:

At this point I don’t know if Pittman is going to come back to coach the Hogs next season. I dunno many coaches who could’ve done anything with that godawful team.

Seems like he's been there long enough to be responsible for the roster he has.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

General Dog posted:

Seems like he's been there long enough to be responsible for the roster he has.

Yeah, true. He fired Enos though and they beat Florida, then got curb stomped by Auburn, so I don’t even know how much of it is on him versus Enos just being bad at calling plays.

There was a lot of roster turnover to the portal though iirc, though you’re right, he’s still responsible for the roster he puts on the field every week- he should have done a better job filling those holes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Arnett is going to go be DC at USC, right?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

Actually gently caress it 25m/y for Belichick make him say no.

Pay Billy nothing and Pay the NFL enough so that they allow his A&M wins to count to his NFL total.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Arnett is going to go be DC at USC, right?

I was thinking it could be Avalos

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Can’t stop thinking about Norvell to TAMU then Deion to FSU.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

As much as Deion wants to and may get back to FSU, holy hell would that be a bad hire for FSU right now. I'd feel bad for FSU if they lost two coaches to A&M

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Komet posted:

As much as Deion wants to and may get back to FSU, holy hell would that be a bad hire for FSU right now. I'd feel bad for FSU if they lost two coaches to A&M

Hear me out, install Deion at Miami.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Komet posted:

It’d be hilarious.

Also, never feel bad for FSU.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Fisher was rapidly wearing out his welcome at FSU anyway, wasn’t he?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Thermos H Christ posted:

Fisher was rapidly wearing out his welcome at FSU anyway, wasn’t he?

Yeah. I remember back when it was first announced it came across as a coup for atm, but consensus quickly moved on to “actually all three parties involved are happy right now.” That number is currently down to two, though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Yeah. I remember back when it was first announced it came across as a coup for atm, but consensus quickly moved on to “actually all three parties involved are happy right now.” That number is currently down to two, though.

FSU had to go through a few goddamned things to get back to a good place it should be noted.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I don't know how reputable it is, but on3 has Dan Mullen as the #1 guy for Mississippi State.

Followed by Manny Diaz. I expected Diaz to leave after two seasons, but I hope he doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Komet posted:

I don't know how reputable it is, but on3 has Dan Mullen as the #1 guy for Mississippi State.

I mean, this makes so much sense. The only question is if Dan is having fun as a commentator rather than a coach.