Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ytlaya posted:

So I got a couple commissions that I didn't realize require Perfect things. I don't think this is possible for me right now? I made a Refiner, but it requires an item I haven't acquired yet (that I assume is the next tier of Quartz).

I respecced to get the skills that increase chance of higher quality Workshop items, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. Tried crafting like 10 pots before reloading and not a single one was higher quality.

Guess I'm going to need to drop them, since I doubt I'll start getting the necessary item before the commission expires.

If you're talking about the gem you need for the refiner, you probably do have access to them via two methods:

1. Check the register in the Civil Corps office. They sell a small amount of all of the gems in exchange for civil corps badges, which you can get from running the hazardous ruins. They should have enough in stock to let you do the upgrades for the commission.
2. Research and build the ore refinery, which lets you break down large quantities of basic materials like stone for a chance at gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ytlaya posted:

So I got a couple commissions that I didn't realize require Perfect things. I don't think this is possible for me right now? I made a Refiner, but it requires an item I haven't acquired yet (that I assume is the next tier of Quartz).

I respecced to get the skills that increase chance of higher quality Workshop items, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. Tried crafting like 10 pots before reloading and not a single one was higher quality.

Guess I'm going to need to drop them, since I doubt I'll start getting the necessary item before the commission expires.

items from forge /processor/Grinder etc will never be higher than green quality. What you want is the Ore refinery where you can grind down excess stone/ore into rare gems.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

One thing I noticed about the factory, and I don't know if it's a bug or not, stuff you make with it doesn't give you workshop knowledge, so if you're like me and missing a few points you can use your endless amounts of stone and dinas to make grinding saws for that last bit of knowledge xp needed.

Also this week there should be a targeted patch to fix issues with the factory, though I haven't noticed any aside from the above.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sydin posted:

If you're talking about the gem you need for the refiner, you probably do have access to them via two methods:

1. Check the register in the Civil Corps office. They sell a small amount of all of the gems in exchange for civil corps badges, which you can get from running the hazardous ruins. They should have enough in stock to let you do the upgrades for the commission.
2. Research and build the ore refinery, which lets you break down large quantities of basic materials like stone for a chance at gems.

Not sure if I have access to those ruins - I can only access the first ruins and the Breech. I'll go ahead and research the ore refinery, since there's nothing else that's higher priority right now.

Edit: oh wait, apparently that's the hazardous ruins? Just the quest is called the Breach?

Is doing stuff there useful? It seems like fighting doesn't use much stamina.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 14, 2023

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

What's nice about the Hazardous Ruins is that fighting in there doesn't consume stamina. You pay it up front, as well as the time you'll take. So once you get in, you can focus on fighting without worrying about running out of stamina or time.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Was not expecting Penn to be such a gracious loser when I won the spar against him.

Also Miguel is literally doing this in a sidequest right now. Damnit.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

well look who shows up on the perch over the Eufalfa fish pond during a sandstorm

not bad

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
in sandstorms a lot of 'hard' mobs show up that drop some decent poo poo and ruins tokens, worth it to run around and kill them. there's another version of that buzzard in the desert to the west by the huge bone pile

Radiation Cow posted:

What's nice about the Hazardous Ruins is that fighting in there doesn't consume stamina. You pay it up front, as well as the time you'll take. So once you get in, you can focus on fighting without worrying about running out of stamina or time.

one of the best changes from portia is the stam being baked into the cost of going in them, altho in portia as soon as you have a drying rack you have functionally endless stam with dried apples

Dirk the Average posted:

There's variance with gifting, as far as I can tell. Not sure exactly what causes it, but the same piece of rice can give one of the cats +0, +1, +2, or +3 depending on the day and the alignment of the spheres.

Portia had fractionals that didn't display, so there's probably some unseen fractional point number, on top of the displayed point gain being added in with any other point gains you may have just gotten, for instance, you chat for +1 and that pops up, then you gift which gives you +2 but the screen will read +3 since it just adds that in, or maybe you have the social that gave you +2 instead of +1 for a chat

nrook posted:

on this note I still can’t figure out how the various “put stuff in your inventory into a chest if there’s already some of the same thing there” buttons work. sometimes they do what I expect, sometimes they don’t. inscrutable

the only time i've seen the autosort not shove everything in chests is if i had zeroed out a thing from my chest stock, like the perfect 0 ore or whatever

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Sydin posted:

Regarding #2 there - don't be like me and rush research the ore refinery in the hopes of getting those gems before you have access to the iron needed to build it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ytlaya posted:

Edit: Jesus Christ, found this journal just talking about some Old World girl starving to death

If you're looking for bloodstone, then all you need is a bronze pickaxe, which you should have access to pretty early on. There are two types of rocks near your house - the closer ones are gravel. The further ones are greyish colored, and they drop marble and bloodstone. You can also buy clay/quartz/bloodstone from the pottery.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

If you're looking for bloodstone, then all you need is a bronze pickaxe, which you should have access to pretty early on. There are two types of rocks near your house - the closer ones are gravel. The further ones are greyish colored, and they drop marble and bloodstone. You can also buy clay/quartz/bloodstone from the pottery.

No, I think what I needed is Fluorite.

Like someone else mentioned, it seems you can buy it with civil commission tokens, so I'll see if I can access those ruins again (not sure if they're permanently available after the Breach quest).

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Don't waste your civil tokens on those to be honest. Once you can make the ore refinery you can have literally unlimited amounts of fluorite. It's adviseable not to take higher quality commissions until you both have the refiner and the ore refinery.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I only just bothered looking into furniture bonuses and I wish I did sooner. I mostly just plopped down whatever someone gave me for free somewhere inside the house and forgot about it. Turns out that sure, Defense and HP aren't that important to max out (IMO) but just by maxing out the furniture Attack bonus I doubled the damage I do to the monsters, which makes combat a lot less boring.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really want to make my home and surrounding area look cool, but I'm so incredibly loving bad at it. And I have no idea how to properly use the construction interface. I wanted to expand my house and couldn't figure out how to do anything other than attach squares to it (and at one point I mistakenly dropped a square separate from the house and closed out of the interface, which wasted 1000 gol and made me need to reload a previous save).

I should just find screenshots of other people with nice looking places and try and copy them.

Very vaguely related, but what does the Luck stat do?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I really want to make my home and surrounding area look cool, but I'm so incredibly loving bad at it. And I have no idea how to properly use the construction interface. I wanted to expand my house and couldn't figure out how to do anything other than attach squares to it (and at one point I mistakenly dropped a square separate from the house and closed out of the interface, which wasted 1000 gol and made me need to reload a previous save).

I should just find screenshots of other people with nice looking places and try and copy them.

Very vaguely related, but what does the Luck stat do?

It's not intuitive, but the bits in the interface are for adding new rooms. You expand existing rooms and stuff by switching views and then selecting your existing room and it'll let you select which direction to expand and stuff. Luck is mostly your chances of randomly finding/making rare stuff.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Megazver posted:

I only just bothered looking into furniture bonuses and I wish I did sooner. I mostly just plopped down whatever someone gave me for free somewhere inside the house and forgot about it. Turns out that sure, Defense and HP aren't that important to max out (IMO) but just by maxing out the furniture Attack bonus I doubled the damage I do to the monsters, which makes combat a lot less boring.

Neat thing - you can put furniture on a roof, then build a room on top of that roof (and furniture). This doesn't work on the ground floor, but will work for additional stories. It lets you hide some things like chests, as well as use ugly furniture that you want the bonuses of, but that you don't care to display. Also great for hiding an array of chests that you will access through the menus rather than open directly.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I just heard a rumor that if you propose to one npc then schedule the wedding on the same day another npc was going to do a reverse proposal you'll end up married to BOTH characters at the same time lmfao

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Panfilo posted:

I just heard a rumor that if you propose to one npc then schedule the wedding on the same day another npc was going to do a reverse proposal you'll end up married to BOTH characters at the same time lmfao

This is also how it works in real life. One of the only ways to legally marry two people if you're not in Utah.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Aww, the mission to take pictures of various places for tourism reasons replaces them with generic pictures In the scrapbook.

Was kind of hoping that the dumb pictures I took would show up later or something.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao Catori's second investor meeting. "Elsie's already bored of the new game, said it's a grind fest, six out of ten at best!" is absolutely something they pulled directly from an EA steam review of the game. :allears:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What exactly is up with farming? It doesn't seem like selling things is a major source of money in this, at least compared with commissions. Will there be food-based commissions later or something? Though even then, it seems more convenient to just buy the ingredients when possible.

It also uses absurd amounts of water. I planted these coffee seeds, and watering them just drained almost all of my ~25 water barrels. Granted, the cost of water isn't a big deal at this point, assuming it refreshes in the water shop frequently.

Edit: Oh wait, the coffee thing is a loving tree, I guess that's why it used so much water. Apparently the tree just stay around periodically producing stuff?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 15, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is a whole other page of requests for food. also, numerous side quests require growing crops.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd suggest doing the bare minimum of farming until you unlock a better planting kit that can work on multiple squares at once, though. it's pretty tedious trying to do farming block by block.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Each tile takes 2 units of water to fully hydrate, but once they're watered it takes the crops a while to use it all up (and they don't dry out over time if left unplanted).
Build yourself a bunch of dew collectors (8 or so is a good start) and you'll get a useful supply of water every morning (harvest the dew before midday or it starts to evaporate).

There are some useful skill points you can take that reduce the amount of dew required to make 1 unit of water (from 10 to 8), that increase the amount of dew harvested by collectors (+50%), and that reduce the water consumption of crops and machines.

The crop harvests are pretty big, you don't need to plant very many tiles to produce the resources you need.
Even if you buy everything else it's well worth planting some jute cantaloupe as (for a time) canvas is in fairly high demand

Edit: Once you get a cooking station you can also occasionally get commissions to produce cooked food, which can have very high returns for very low effort. They just can't get enough of my meat-stuffed mushroom

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Yeah, you should absolutely plant at least a couple of every crop periodically bc the cooking commissions are sometimes quite a bit more valuable than the regulars.

At some point in the game you unlock a bounty board in the civil corp office that gets you 1k gols or so for killing certain monsters too, and are separate from regular commissions

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think I need to build multiple of a number of machines. Currently the only one I have more than one of is the Furnace (which just has 2). I'll try adding more dew things.

How exactly do crop commissions work, given the time it takes for a plant to grow? Do they give you longer, or are you supposed to have a bunch of stuff prepared ahead of time?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
both. i wouldn't recommend taking commissions you can't fill for a while, though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think I need to build multiple of a number of machines. Currently the only one I have more than one of is the Furnace (which just has 2). I'll try adding more dew things.

How exactly do crop commissions work, given the time it takes for a plant to grow? Do they give you longer, or are you supposed to have a bunch of stuff prepared ahead of time?

Eventually you want to have a backlog of stuff for commissions and crafting. I would highly, highly recommend getting more recyclers, and more furnaces.

For the early-mid game, 3 furnaces, 2 of the processor/grinder, and 4ish recyclers is a good number, I would say. There's so much scrap available, and it breaks down into a lot of useful things. Also, the dregs you get out of the process are enough to run other machinery (not that energy is too big a concern - you can just mine up some power cells if it is), so it's pretty much always worth refining. At my mid-late point in the game (post Act 2 of 3), I have 6 recyclers, 6 furnaces, 3 grinders, 3 processors, 2 blenders, and a few scattered machines of other types. Leaving them idle is fine - they don't consume anything if they're not producing, but having the infrastructure available will allow you to be making whatever you need on demand.

One of the nice things to get is, strangely, copper scrap. It frees up your furnaces from making copper bars, which means you can focus more on bronze bars.

Also definitely make use of shops - you can buy the first 25 units or so of water super cheap from the water store, and it's worth buying out the cheap water as much as you can (it will take some time to fully restock, but you get 5-10 units of cheap water a day - keep in mind the price is for lots of 5, so it's like 10g per water). Clay/quartz is really good to get from the pottery as well, as clay is especially irritating to come by in certain parts of the game.

And, don't forget to eat! You can order up to 10 dishes at a time, and get up to around 200ish stamina from one meal for about 250g, or you can order super cheaply to get around 100ish stamina for a lot less. You can eat twice a day too, so it's a great way to fill out your stamina to keep harvesting.

And if you feel the days go by too quickly or slowly, change the time scale of the days. 0.6 will make the day take significantly longer, giving you more time to harvest resources.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

always be processin'. Generally you want to get to a point where fulfilling a day's commissions takes only as long as running to the worktable to make something on demand, or at least very little extra time - that way its less time loving around with the machines and more time harvesting basic input resources like ores, or doing other things like wish fulfillment, etc. others have mentioned that scrap recycling is the one thing you want to maximize doing, since you get bars and sticks from iron and copper scrap, which helps you save those ores for making alloy products like bronze etc. In my late game i've settled on 5 furnaces and 5 recyclers, the other machines aren't as in demand and you probably only need 2 at most provided you keep them churning out products you have the least of (say, plates or whatever, i like to keep a minimum stock of like 15-20, but that's excessive)

Crop commissions generally give you 10 days for doing them, but i wouldn't take those unless i had them on hand, i have a little farm plot going nonstop and have a huge bank of every growable seed i have access to right now, the reason you dont want to sit on those is that if you have one in your quest log it takes up a commission slot (you can still accept more commissions, but you have to complete previous ones to get up to your commission limit). Ultimately, the game isn't a rush, so don't feel like, totally obligated to industrialize your workshop if you think its too much hassle or busy work.

i'm sort of torn on dew collectors because they don't really net you that much. sending a pet on a water collection alone gets you at least 2 water units and like 15 dew which is more than you get out of a half dozen basic dew collectors. it adds up, over time, its just underwhelming

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I have never needed more than 1 grinder and processor. Often I don’t even have the inputs to keep 1 running all day. The rest of the advice is pretty good.

I played through Portia several times. So I probably have slightly more machines than I really need. I have 4 recyclers and 3 furnaces in Autumn (month 2) and I am generating resources much faster than I can use them.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Man, I couldn't imagine having less than 2 grinders/processors. Even if you're not rushing the main missions, gotta multitask for that sweet money and Rep. Can't let Yan win, after all.

Sloober posted:

i'm sort of torn on dew collectors because they don't really net you that much. sending a pet on a water collection alone gets you at least 2 water units and like 15 dew which is more than you get out of a half dozen basic dew collectors. it adds up, over time, its just underwhelming

Dew collectors are cheap as hell to make, don't need to be checked every day, and are really quick to loot once you have a mount.

Plus, if you have them as the backbone of your water strategy, you can have your spouse handle sending your horde of pets out for random stuff, which automates that.

The only downside is the sheer amount of space they take up, but I have ~20, 4 of every kind of main machine, a stable, and a coffee plantation, and still have a ton of space open, with at least one more yard upgrade left.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LLSix posted:

I have never needed more than 1 grinder and processor. Often I don’t even have the inputs to keep 1 running all day. The rest of the advice is pretty good.

I prefer to have two of each so if I run out of something, I can crank out the necessary amount twice as fast. But they don't run 24/7 like furnaces/recyclers.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Megazver posted:

I prefer to have two of each so if I run out of something, I can crank out the necessary amount twice as fast. But they don't run 24/7 like furnaces/recyclers.

This. I have spare capacity with 3 of 'em at a time, but when a new tier of materials unlocks, being able to spin them up and crank out what you need is great. Plus, having the extra capacity means that you can crank out lower end materials while building a stock of the new stuff.

It's a lot less important once you have a factory, since you can queue up and batch things more effectively, but it's very helpful to have that capacity when you need it.

Deki posted:

Man, I couldn't imagine having less than 2 grinders/processors. Even if you're not rushing the main missions, gotta multitask for that sweet money and Rep. Can't let Yan win, after all.

Dew collectors are cheap as hell to make, don't need to be checked every day, and are really quick to loot once you have a mount.

Plus, if you have them as the backbone of your water strategy, you can have your spouse handle sending your horde of pets out for random stuff, which automates that.

The only downside is the sheer amount of space they take up, but I have ~20, 4 of every kind of main machine, a stable, and a coffee plantation, and still have a ton of space open, with at least one more yard upgrade left.

I'm at the same housing expansion stage, so I put 50 dew collectors on the roof - 25 on the factory, 25 on the greenhouse. Since I can have my helper grab the stuff out of the machines for me, I don't physically need to access them at all.

Also, amusing glitch. You know how the game spawns NPCs around the town, and especially in front of city hall? Well, my builder's baby keeps showing up there, just laying in the middle of the square as happy as can be. The game should... probably have some logic to prevent that until the kid's old enough to walk, at least.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Deki posted:

dew evaporates during the daylight hours (12 to 17) and anything collected instantly evaporates when there's a sandstorm, so that's definitely an at your own risk thing regarding collecting every day

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

LLSix posted:

I played through Portia several times. So I probably have slightly more machines than I really need. I have 4 recyclers and 3 furnaces in Autumn (month 2) and I am generating resources much faster than I can use them.

When you get some later commissions wanting 10 aluminum plates that take 2 real minutes to make each you'll really want 2 to get it over with quick. More than 2 is a waste though.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Sloober posted:

dew evaporates during the daylight hours (12 to 17) and anything collected instantly evaporates when there's a sandstorm, so that's definitely an at your own risk thing regarding collecting every day

I'm pretty sure having your Sandwalls up blocks them from being emptied, and I just keep mine up all the time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Horde of pets! Lol the DLC pet is the only pet I ever got despite playing through all of Early Access. I think I have higher rep with the camel than most of the pets lol.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sloober posted:

Once you get the later game super collectors they don't evaporate what they've collected.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Remember new players, the Research Station has two tabs of research items. The upgrades for the Workbench and a bunch of other things are on the second tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I have this one giant (for me, at least) commission where Yan is asking for two of one of the components that went into making the hydrogel thing. Probably dumb, but I'm doing it because it pays over 3000 gol and the Yan commissions seem to be one of the only sources of this one currency. I had most of the components, so I think it's only taking like 2 days total to do.

edit: One completely unrelated question - will there be another Dance-off at some point? I wasn't able to buy all the Dancing stuff.

Dirk the Average posted:

Eventually you want to have a backlog of stuff for commissions and crafting. I would highly, highly recommend getting more recyclers, and more furnaces.

I find that my one Recycler generally keeps up with the scrap I get from doing the scrapyard most days (which isn't much - the only scrap I have significantly more than 12 of is Mechanical; Copper caps sometimes as well, but I keep up with it pretty easily). Is there some other source of more scrap, other than the daily scrapyard? More furnaces definitely sounds good though, since that's probably my bottleneck.

I feel like 2 Grinders and Processors might also be a sweet spot, since I occasionally (though not frequently) run into a bottleneck with those.

edit: Speaking of scrap, what's a good source for Rubber? The only semi-reliable things I can think of are the tires that sometimes appear in the scrapyard and the tires that sometimes appear to the west of my workshop (around where Mi-an often is).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 15, 2023