Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
It would be kinda funny if all the Carthaginian successor states start with permanent claims on eachother in eu4 and they start going for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

...does it matter that I wasn't serious at all when I suggested Jewish Mongolia invading Europe? What the gently caress, let's get stupid. A

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
:siren:Option B wins!:siren:

Part 20 — Into India — 1300 to 1400

All across the world, the plague is in retreat, populations are recovering, fresh ideas and hopes are fostered, and there is a sense of something new on the horizon… but in these murky times in between great ages, there is a final story to be told.

Not in the distant West, that vast and hard-trodden continent of rising-and-falling kings and kingdoms…

Not in the heart of the civilised world, where the Elissid Empire reigns as the paramount power from the Nile to the Zagros…

Not even in the great conquests of Genghis Khan, who has pacified the Steppe and now unleashes his hordes into the East…

…no, instead this story continues with a boy called Chagatai.

Young and brazen, he was the grandson of one Great Khan through his mother and the son of the Great Khan in his father. He was born in the opulent palaces of Philosiris, but his heart belonged to the open grasslands of the Mongol plateau. He was a knight, a horselord, and a second son, resigned to live his life in the service of the Great Khans.

But like his father and grandfather before him, Chagatai was ambitious as well, and determined to leave a legacy of his own in the heavy tomes of history.

So when the Great Khan perished and the inevitable power struggle erupted between his many sons, Chagatai did not partake in the bloodshed. Instead — he gathered his most loyal friends and supporters, fled the palaces of Philosiris in the dead of night, and made for the one place that could match his ambitions.

He was not yet 12 years of age, and yet Chagatai made the trek across the deserts and steppes of Central Asia, through the rugged terrain of Iran and Afghanastan, and into that enormous, fragmented continent on the edge of the world. As the only place in the known world to have completely and miraculously escaped the ravages of the Black Death, she loomed large in the imagination of the West, ever-distant, fabulously wealthy, splendour and glory undimmed…

India.

Chagatai rode into the Khyber Pass in the summer of 1265, and emerged onto the Indian plains with 5000 men and their horses at his back.

And that was a declaration of war, of course.

The local king (a direct descendant of Attila) immediately marshalled his forces against this nomadic invader — and though he was but a child, Chagatai did not hesitate. With his own cavalry force and a band of mercenaries, he immediately rushed into battle at Panipat, and there…

…there, he proved himself the heir to Genghis Khan, to Philosir the Prophet, to Olorix the Unrelenting.

He won his first victory, the first of many.

The years that followed were formative for Chagatai. He arrived in India not only with a will to conquer, but with the means as well — because gunpowder was still unheard-of in the subcontinent, and Chagatai brought with him firearms knights and bombards and all manner of gunpowder weaponry.

Thus, the next five years were spent entirely on campaign, with Chagatai marching from battle to battle, city to city, victory to victory, terrorising the peasantry and nobility alike and capturing vast swathes of territory along the Indus.

By the year 1272, he managed to force the Attilid king into exile, settling his invading force around his new capital at Multan and usurping the ancient title of king of India.

After some time, the local populace became more amenable to the rule of their king. Chagatai showed no preference for Tauricans, Mongols, Afghans, Persians, or the local Indo-Greeks; he promoted a system of meritocracy, and this soon soothed tensions within his kingdom.

Indeed, the conqueror appointed a talented Indo-Greek steward to administrate his capital whilst he was on campaign — which was very often, as he raided and conquered the neighbouring countries of Sindh, Gedrosia, and Gujarat between the years 1275 and 1290.

Chagatai’s most powerful foe lay to the east, however, in the empire of Kosala, who claimed to be the heirs of the Mahisamandala and the Maurya before them.

To oppose them, Chagatai gathered an impressive host of 50,000 men, and after seizing upon a blood feud as a casus belli, he struck forth from the River Indus at the turn of the century.

The campaign was short and brutal, with Chagatai annihilating a coalition of enemy forces in a battle outside Delhi…

…conducting a risky march through the hostile interior of the kingdom…

…and then destroying the king’s personal retinue in another battle, just a few miles from Chouragarh.

A complete victory, that was closely followed by a campaign into the Deccan in the year 1307, where a boy-king held sway.

This campaign was even shorter, begun and won within a season as Chagatai crushed the enemy armies, demolished the walls of their capital city, and then captured the boy-king himself.

Two wars over in two years, and together they won Chagatai the greater part of India.

Similar campaigns were launched almost annually in the years that followed, with the hallmarks being the 1315 campaign to subdue the Mudigondids…

…the bloody and only partly-successful 1329 campaign to exact tribute from the Bengal…

…the 1335 show-of-force in Orissa…

…and the 1340 campaign into the south, with Chagatai determined to reach the very tip of the continent.

It was during the last of these campaigns that Chagatai came into contact with the Indo-Punics, who claimed to be the distant descendants of a legendary voyage conducted by Carthage over a thousand years before.

As a scion of the most prestigious and many-numbered dynasty of Mago himself, Chagatai listened to their tales with eager delight, before guaranteeing these Indo-Punics his protection and guardianship.

As Chagatai conquered, however, he also ruled; and in ruling, he slowly intertwined himself with the Christo-Buddhists, an ancient creed that had deep roots in the valleys of the Indus River.

Though he was initially hostile to them, Chagatai’s attitude to Christo-Buddhism softened with the passing years, as his Indo-Greek vassals, councillors, and friends slowly acclimated him to the various tenets of the religion.

And eventually, in the year 1360, Chagatai severed the last ties to his long-lost birthplace, and fully embraced his new homeland —

Unfortunately, the Conqueror — for that is how he would be remembered, as Chagatai the Conqueror — did not enjoy his newfound faith for very long. He caught a wayward chill whilst besieging the fortress of Kandahar, and the chill soon spiralled into sweats and fevers that forced him to his tents.

Within a fortnight, he was dead.

The Conquerer began his reign at the age of 12; it ends with his death at the age of 77. The enormous empire he forged was partitioned between his sons; to Telerig went the revitalised kingdom of India, to Apskhih went the empire of Mogholistan (named after his maternal Mongol ancestors), to Chagatai went the realm of Tel-Tourica (named after his paternal Taurican ancestors).

And with that, we reach the end of another chapter in this tale. The rest of the world is similarly caught between the medieval age and something new, roiling and reeling in this state of transition.

Largest and most powerful of the successor states, the Elissid Crowns dominates in the Middle East, but with so many differing faiths and cultures boxed under the common banner of the Elissid dynasty, the nature of this empire has yet to be decided.

Further to the west, after a long period of disunity and devastation that began with the sacking of the capital, Carthage has finally been reunited. The driving force behind this resurgence is, surprisingly, the decline of the Arab Caliphate, because it has led to the Muslim lords in Carthage to proclaim their own brand of Islam, Cartagi Islam, with their own Caliph to lead them.

This radical move signals the dawn of a new age in the Caliphate of Carthago.

The continent of Europa was by far the most violent and lawless region throughout the medieval era; however, there are a few mainstays that have managed to endure, on the verge of transforming their feudal-based realms into permanent, delineated states — Gothia, Lombardy, Normandy, Severia, Gaul, Wendia, and so on.

Though the kingdoms of Gothia and Visigothia are Christian, the remaining are by and large pagan powers.

With the chaos of Europa to the west and the empire of the Great Khan to the east, the Turks and Huns and Scythians in between have been forced to settle and squabble with one another. That said, there is a gradual shift towards a larger unification of these peoples, and such a power — whether it be Hunnia or Turkey or something else — is sure to become a force to be reckoned with.

The vast empire of the Great Khan, meanwhile, was in turmoil. Bent on securing the unimaginable wealth of the Chinas, the western regions of the empire have broken away into nigh independent khanates — Itrisid ilkhan, Kimek confederation, Caspian steppe, etc etc.

As for the fortunes of the great invasion into the east, that remains to be seen…

But this long tale is not yet over. It will continue in the descendants of Chagatai, who was borne from Genghis Khan, who hailed from the Taurican horde and the Elissid Empire, which was forged by the grandchildren of Elissa, who sailed to the Holy Land from the distant shores of Little Carthage, which was founded an age ago by none other than Ancient Carthage.

Where else might we sail? What new lands shall we tread, which peoples will we meet with and war against, whose riches will we claim and conquer?

Only time will tell.

END OF CK3

EU4 TO COME

World map:

Culture map:

Religion map:

Development map:

hashashash fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 14, 2023

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren:And we’re done with CK3!:siren:

A long update, but Chagatai was refusing to die and wrapping things up with him seemed to make sense, especially since his heirs are somewhat sub-par and unlikely to do much else.

Next up is EU4 — we’ll have some important votes to set the scene before that though.

A checklist of the successor states we spawned during this campaign:

Carthage itself — was in dire straits for a while, but they’ve pulled through, so I’ve given them a unique religion to take into eu4
The Narrow Sea — collapsed as soon as we left, they’re a distant memory now (Little Carthage seems to be thriving tho)
Elissid Empire — strongest of the lot, we’ll need to figure out whether they get any special mechanics
Khan of Khans — another fast collapse, but might make up for it with Chinese conquests
Indias — yet to be seen how they fare without us…

Also, the Mago dynasty is freaking everywhere

hashashash fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 14, 2023

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Sad to see Canaanite religion didn't survive anywhere, but very pleased by big Druidism and Kushitism

edit: oh wait, there's some Canaanites in the middle of the Sahara

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Wow, the Kushites ain't doing that bad down in the Horn of Africa.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

ah yes the famous Battle of PlaceholderLocation

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

silentsnack posted:

ah yes the famous Battle of PlaceholderLocation

crap, too slow :(

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Sad to see Canaanite religion didn't survive anywhere, but very pleased by big Druidism and Kushitism

edit: oh wait, there's some Canaanites in the middle of the Sahara

yep - I do wish there were a few more sects / religious diversity going on, since everything seems to have coalesced into a few major blobs, but I guess the disgusting culture map makes up for it

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
I love how the Elissid Crown is the strongest Empire yet and also has the highest development there. Seem like they will start with an advance over everyone else. Malik sacking all of India at age 12 and then saying "Did you know I've killed a few bandits in my youth?" is the funniest poo poo ever

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Well that's one way to conquer a subcontinent.

(except for the area around what would be the tamil kings I guess.)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

big vasconia lets loving goooooooooooooooooooo

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Yeeeeah I think this made for a good ending. India has some strong states with Christo-Buddhism in a prime position. Glad to see Islam still exists even with the sheer dominance of the Elissid Crown and Aegyptos. Personally, I approve of the religious blobs, there's still a fair variety in the world. Anbiya has taken Druidism and has some northern coast as well, might it justify giving them some tech/european contact stuff in the future? Makes West Africa a little more interesting.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Looking at the religious map there is potential for some positively cataclysmic religious wars.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Oh, can we have a look at the Wiltshire culture? I'd like to see how celtic they are or if the Norman conquerors have a bigger influence. It is important to distinguish if we're gonna have a Welsh Britain or a Slightly Different English Britain.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I'd also like to look at any interesting cultures, and the new muslim religion too.

I don't like the prevalence of hyphenated cultures in this game (English people don't call themselves 'Anglo-Normans'!), here are a few ideas for those I can see:
Numido-Punic: Bunichit
Gallo-Punic: Keltich
Graeco-Punic: Grichi
Galato-Phoenician: Tarachim

Dance Officer posted:

Looking at the religious map there is potential for some positively cataclysmic religious wars.

Christianity and Islam seem particularly conflicted. Could be very deadly considering how populated the Middle-East seems to be.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Rejected Fate posted:

Oh, can we have a look at the Wiltshire culture? I'd like to see how celtic they are or if the Norman conquerors have a bigger influence. It is important to distinguish if we're gonna have a Welsh Britain or a Slightly Different English Britain.

sure - they actually diverged from the brytho-punics, so they're more punic than briton. the brythonics control most of the isle though, and seem to have crossed over to ireland and diverged a culture there as well.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Chatrapati posted:

I'd also like to look at any interesting cultures, and the new muslim religion too.

I don't like the prevalence of hyphenated cultures in this game (English people don't call themselves 'Anglo-Normans'!), here are a few ideas for those I can see:
Numido-Punic: Bunichit
Gallo-Punic: Keltich
Graeco-Punic: Grichi
Galato-Phoenician: Tarachim

Christianity and Islam seem particularly conflicted. Could be very deadly considering how populated the Middle-East seems to be.

yeah those are great, i'll swap those names in for the hyphenated ones

let me know if there are any cultures in particular you want to see, but here's the new Carthaginian religion -

there are Tithians in Iberia, they diverged from Spanish a while ago; also big Vascones

Gaul is a mess of divergent Gallic cultures, but the biggest seem to be these lot - Varcianians

Germany is just as bad, a mess of Old German and Slavic divergent cultures - the Germans are the grey ones, Slavs are the various shades of purples

Vandals are still chilling in north africa/egypt -

Scythian divergent culture of Romenian, worryingly close to modern day Romania (:hmmno:)

and the middle east is, unsuprisingly, another clusterfuck of cultures -- the main divergent ones are Vanandi (armenians), Maraghans, Qain (persian); a surprising amount of ancient cultures have survived as well, including the hittites, galatians, arameans etc.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

modern day galatia as the heartland of a pangaelic movement....

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I'm a bit curious about Hausaland and Sao, those bits in sub-Saharan Africa that seem to be the last bastion of the old Canaanite religion. Bit of a living fossil, there.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Asterite34 posted:

I'm a bit curious about Hausaland and Sao, those bits in sub-Saharan Africa that seem to be the last bastion of the old Canaanite religion. Bit of a living fossil, there.

it's a legacy of when the (Caananite / Numido-Punic) kingdom of Numidia expanded across the Sahara for a while --- they eventually lost those territories and converted to Islam, but the culturally Hausa, Sao and Kanem have remained Caananite

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Can you also show us what's going on in the horn of Africa and the area along thhe nile, as well as the Arabian peninsula?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Can you also show us what's going on in the horn of Africa and the area along thhe nile, as well as the Arabian peninsula?

sure - the horn of africa is entirely Kushite, with Aksum / Abyssinia / Damot being the big players --- culturally they're Aksumite / Aksumite / Somali respectively, with Abyssinia having a large Nubian population

the nile is interesting -- in the final years of the game, the Muslim kingdom of Misr fell to a crusade mostly driven by the Elissids. The end result in a newly-revived Christian Aegyptos (the first time the empire has been restored since the ancient Ptolemies) but they're ruling over a large Muslim majority. Also, the arabs never displaced/integrated with the native egyptians like they did in our timeline.

as for the arabian peninsula - the Elissids have done a number on the Caliphate, with their authority only really limited to the hejaz and yemen. Wouldn't be surprised if they got wiped in the early years of eu4, so we end up with a Muslim West (in Carthage) vs Christian East (in Elissids)

there are a good number of Arab divergent cultures too!

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
What's up with the Kipchaks? Any reason why that region is so developed?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Boksi posted:

What's up with the Kipchaks? Any reason why that region is so developed?

I think it was fairly stable under the Huns for large parts of CK3, and they managed to develop it a ton - they lost it once the Turks started migrating west tho

Also --- been a bit busy with work / getting the bones of the EU4 conversion down, but hopefully will have the first vote up tomorrow

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren: CK3 to EU4 Vote :siren:

To tackle the transition from CK3 to EU4, which will involve settling matters both within the known world and beyond, there will be a sequence of 5 votes. The first of these votes, as below, will deal with where the first institution of the game will (likely) spawn.

The medieval age has seen kingdoms and dynasties rise and fall; by far the most successful of these noble houses has to be that of Mago, whose descendants now rule in dozens of realms in Africa, Europa, Asia, India, and possibly beyond.

With the expansion of the Magonid dynasty, however, there has been a gradual evolution of their Phoenician-Punic influence, which has led to the known world becoming more interconnected than ever before. This will inevitably lead to a rediscovery of classical literature and blossoming of technological advancement that will surely take the world by storm.

The question is — where will this Renaissance begin?

ANorth Africa

BEuropa

CThe Elissid Crowns

DIndia

EThe Steppe

:siren:Go forth and vote!:siren:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
E

The Magonid Khan of Khans has had contact with realms far and wide. A critical mass of learning and cultural renewal blossoms amongst the yurts.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Europa

Little Carthage especially. seems relatively stable and right on major trade routes, so it makes sense that they’d start going big on their heritage and getting interested in trade/colonial expeditions again

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Europa

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

A - North Africa

It began with Carthage, and it will continue from Carthage. From our cultural home springs the new enlightenment, forced to look for new routes by an equally powerful, religiously opposed empire in the East.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Rejected Fate posted:

It began with Carthage, and it will continue from Carthage. From our cultural home springs the new enlightenment, forced to look for new routes by an equally powerful, religiously opposed empire in the East.

This, especially in a world where Carthage can tie itself to so many cultures across Eurasia.

A

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I think C makes the most sense...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
A - North Africa

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
C

These guy has the most development in the entire game.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
A.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

C

Where else than the Empire of Worlds Desire at the crossroads of worlds, sitting on the very heart of old phonecia?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
C

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
A. for the Carthagenaissance.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
C — The Elissid Crowns

Adbot