Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I forgot about the doppleganger doctor and kept thinking "they should make a ganger of the doctor to show em what for"

edit: ahahaha brief spurt of tennant 'hello I'm the doctor' followed by 'NO LET IT GO WE'VE MOVED ON'

edit: II really don't think they needed the monster Flesh in this. I think a better reveal might've just been all of them being gangers and the newer models just not realizing it.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I've made the mistake of watching some Brigadier episodes. A mistake because it reminded me of the cyber Brig again and what an insultingly poo poo thing it was to do.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A Good Man Goes to War: Amy asks the Doctor if he has any kids or had any kids and he says no. But the last time I saw him have a kid, he said he had had kids before!

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I've made the mistake of watching some Brigadier episodes. A mistake because it reminded me of the cyber Brig again and what an insultingly poo poo thing it was to do.

Those two Cyberman episodes with Danny Pink actually kinda killed Doctor Who for my wife and me. They were so nihilistic, grim, and against the spirit of anarchic adventure that Who is at its best that we just kinda barely watched the following season and then dropped off entirely, even if the immediately successive Christmas special did a little bit to make up for it. Totally missed Capaldi’s last season and all of Whitaker. It used to be destination viewing! I own probably half the Classic series on DVD! We went to the Matt Smith premieres in NYC! But those episodes killed any desire for us to care stone dead.

We started back up from Eccleston a few weeks back to kinda reboot our love for the series. It’s working so far! I’m looking forward to Capaldi’s last season, which I’ve heard is very good. And also…Whitaker’s run…which I’ve heard is short.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The thing I mostly remember from that arc is Danny being a complete poo poo. The bit where it turns out he's been displacing his own culpability in doing a war crime onto the Doctor is very lol lmao

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

A Good Man Goes to War: Amy asks the Doctor if he has any kids or had any kids and he says no. But the last time I saw him have a kid, he said he had had kids before!

He disowned them between The Doctor's Daughter and then.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Doctor didn’t know Jenny was still alive, though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It was still odd if he believes Jenny to have died, because she asked him in past tense as well, like if he'd lost kids. If there was ever a time to relate to a close friend about the experience of suddenly finding out you have a child and then it apparently dies in some bizarre way, it was then.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Those two Cyberman episodes with Danny Pink actually kinda killed Doctor Who for my wife and me. They were so nihilistic, grim, and against the spirit of anarchic adventure that Who is at its best that we just kinda barely watched the following season and then dropped off entirely, even if the immediately successive Christmas special did a little bit to make up for it. Totally missed Capaldi’s last season and all of Whitaker. It used to be destination viewing! I own probably half the Classic series on DVD! We went to the Matt Smith premieres in NYC! But those episodes killed any desire for us to care stone dead.

We started back up from Eccleston a few weeks back to kinda reboot our love for the series. It’s working so far! I’m looking forward to Capaldi’s last season, which I’ve heard is very good. And also…Whitaker’s run…which I’ve heard is short.

Capaldis other two seasons have plenty of worth in them (he's my kids favourite Doctor, even) but yeah, that two parter is just bad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Capaldi's last series is easily his best. His run should have started there.

It's also Moffat's best series since Smith's first.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really don't like the 12th Doctor in his first season, but the stories are mostly decent to good -- particularly the back half IMO.

I know this thread gets mad about Forest Of The Night, but that one's mostly just criminally boring tbh. Plus IIRC you can just read it as a SFnal metaphor about misdiagnosis, which is probably the intention anyway.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Davros1 posted:

Capaldi's last series is easily his best. His run should have started there.

It's also Moffat's best series since Smith's first.

Quoting for Truth

I don't want to spoil too much so I'm being indirect here, but: it's not perfect, and it has the apparently DW-requisite mid-season crap episodes, but it's also got 12 at his most actualised, a wonderful companion(s) dynamic, a really nice and fitting set-up, and it ends on an incredibly high note.

It was a huge refreshing breath of fresh air after seasons 8 and 9

Dabir posted:

Shame the DVD set starts with Return of Doctor Mysterio and that his final episode is Twice Upon A Time.

Haha, yes it genuinely is

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 14, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shame the DVD set starts with Return of Doctor Mysterio and that his final episode is Twice Upon A Time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Doctor Mysterio has slid entirely off my brain. I know I've seen it, but I couldn't tell you what happens for the life of me and nothing is making me want to check it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bill ruled so much and I'm sad we only got one season with her as a companion.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The first 12th doctor who episode that I really liked and made his doctor click with me was murder on the orient express. That episode is glorious.
edit: bill is the best modern companion and I will die on that hill.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Doctor Mysterio has slid entirely off my brain. I know I've seen it, but I couldn't tell you what happens for the life of me and nothing is making me want to check it.

When Superman gets erections he goes up in the air. hth

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's the one where the Doctor and Nardole quietly slip out of a room where a bunch of innocent people are about to be horribly killed, isn't it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Confusedslight posted:

The first 12th doctor who episode that I really liked and made his doctor click with me was murder on the orient express. That episode is glorious.

That one and Flatline are a hell of a 1-2 punch of incredible quality.

Then Bill gets Oxygen in her season which is another all-timer. Bring back Jamie Mathieson!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dabir posted:

It's the one where the Doctor and Nardole quietly slip out of a room where a bunch of innocent people are about to be horribly killed, isn't it

Also happens in Smile after leaving a bunch of colonialists with the (new) native species of slightly murderous robots...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dabir posted:

The Doctor is eating snacks, and lets innocent people get killed, yeah. It ruins an already bad episode.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jerusalem posted:

Bill ruled so much and I'm sad we only got one season with her as a companion.

I wonder what the actress is up to these days. I haven't seen her in anything since her season ended.

The_Doctor posted:

The Doctor is eating snacks, and lets innocent people get killed, yeah. It ruins an already bad episode.

Gosh, by the end Moffat really didn't know what he was doing, did he?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

I wonder what the actress is up to these days. I haven't seen her in anything since her season ended.

Living with her wife down in Mexico, last I heard.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

I don’t know, he rallied for his final season by and large.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I don’t know, he rallied for his final season by and large.

Yeah, but even his last ever episode has the First Doctor as an old sexist man. :(

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rumor was WORLD ENOUGH AND TIME was supposed to be Capaldi's last ep, but then Chibnall wasn't going to be ready for that year's Xmas special, so Moffat extended his run by one ep so Who wouldn't lose the Xmas spot.

Then Chibnall wasn't ever able to make it for the Xmas spot during his run.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I like Capaldi's run in its totality, but Bill is just heads and shoulders above so many others, and I wish we got more with her.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

"Clara is trying to be the Doctor and it kills her," was a strong story that led to some great moments and then ended on a complete shart. I think the tragic companion fate worked better with Bill, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Clouseau posted:

I like Capaldi's run in its totality, but Bill is just heads and shoulders above so many others, and I wish we got more with her.

:hmmyes:

I loved Bill as a companion and I’m kinda mad Clara stuck around so long. Also, I don’t mind Nardole, but being a comic character he draws focus a lot.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I think I would've really hated Nardole on his own (I have very conflicted feelings about Matt Lucas in general) but he has really good chemistry with Bill and that really makes his character work

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The thing I hated about Clara's ending was they implied she could always come back for more adventures but never has.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Barry Foster posted:

I think I would've really hated Nardole on his own (I have very conflicted feelings about Matt Lucas in general) but he has really good chemistry with Bill and that really makes his character work

I agree. He can be very trying solo, but that pairing worked perfectly. I loved Nardole in that season.

Back to my regular BF postings:

The One Doctor Continues to be awesome, gave it another listen as I had a couple hours of drive time yesterday. I have never listened past the end of the story, I just noticed there was 7 minutes of "dead space" at the end...and this time listened through.

"And a merry christmas to all of you at home" made me smile in the car, it was just so perfect. And then Mentos at the end had me dying. Thankfully right as I pulled into my drive.

YEARS I've listened to this story, and never gotten to that post-script part. Early/mid BF was such a blast.

edit: Ah, hell. Today's listen has been made for me - a new release. The War Master meets Bilis Manger? Hell. Yes. And who wrote that particular part of the story? James Goss. ALL ABOARD!!

Khanstant posted:

The thing I hated about Clara's ending was they implied she could always come back for more adventures but never has.

You'd think we would at least get some sort of children in need/youtube promo/BF thing with her+Me, but the actresses probably outran BF/BBC's budget a while ago.

McGann fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 14, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

McGann posted:

I agree. He can be very trying solo, but that pairing worked perfectly. I loved Nardole in that season.

Back to my regular BF postings:

The One Doctor Continues to be awesome, gave it another listen as I had a couple hours of drive time yesterday. I have never listened past the end of the story, I just noticed there was 7 minutes of "dead space" at the end...and this time listened through.

"And a merry christmas to all of you at home" made me smile in the car, it was just so perfect. And then Mentos at the end had me dying. Thankfully right as I pulled into my drive.

YEARS I've listened to this story, and never gotten to that post-script part. Early/mid BF was such a blast.

edit: Ah, hell. Today's listen has been made for me - a new release. The War Master meets Bilis Manger? Hell. Yes. And who wrote that particular part of the story? James Goss. ALL ABOARD!!

You'd think we would at least get some sort of children in need/youtube promo/BF thing with her+Me, but the actresses probably outran BF/BBC's budget a while ago.

The nice thing about BF is it'll keep chugging along and still be there if and when they feel like returning to the characters.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

The_Doctor posted:

:hmmyes:

I loved Bill as a companion and I’m kinda mad Clara stuck around so long. Also, I don’t mind Nardole, but being a comic character he draws focus a lot.

I liked Nardole, and I think that's entirely because similar to Catherine Tate and (sadly only for a limited time) James Corden, as an American I had no context for them before their first Who appearance.

What I largely liked about the Capaldi run, beyond my general adoration of him as an actor is that it felt generally much more back to basics, even with the two-parter season. After the Smith stuff jumped the rails so dramatically, doing three seasons that were pretty similar in form to the RTD formula ones, it was a breath of fresh air. I'm meh on RTD as a writer, but the general arc of each season (e.g. first ep present day, second ep in the past/far future, third in the one not covered by the previous) was a nice durable format that let them do a variety of stories.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 14, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I skipped through the Corden episodes. Didn't hate the eps back then but can't stand him now so just wooshed on by.

10 gets a lot of grief for wanting to stick around, but I had forgotten how much 11 does the same thing. Almost worse in a way since he keeps doing fake outs involving Amy/Rory leaving too. Almost had the sense they were planning on changing doctors and companions and didn't. I assume he had his "oh ho she killed a fake doctorbototron" thing all planned out, but even knowing he doesn't go away, it feels like he's about to and then doesn't and it's holding in a sneeze.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Haha I skipped through the Corden episodes. Didn't hate the eps back then but can't stand him now so just wooshed on by.

10 gets a lot of grief for wanting to stick around, but I had forgotten how much 11 does the same thing. Almost worse in a way since he keeps doing fake outs involving Amy/Rory leaving too. Almost had the sense they were planning on changing doctors and companions and didn't. I assume he had his "oh ho she killed a fake doctorbototron" thing all planned out, but even knowing he doesn't go away, it feels like he's about to and then doesn't and it's holding in a sneeze.

And he was meant to get another full season that was planned out for after the 50th but Matt Smith decided to leave when production delays meant he'd basically be committing to another two years of the show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh interesting, I would've guessed he already extended his stay, hence the hunt for new companion and such.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Happy birthday to Paul McGann!:toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I hope he gets a pair of shoes that fit perfectly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

McGann posted:

To follow up, I finished the first story. And it ends in the most mastery way possible and I love it.

Curious how they work Professor Yana into this, based on the cover art.