Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

This is the best one, hands down. John Blyth Barrymore is an artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Clip-On Fedora posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

This is the best one, hands down. John Blyth Barrymore is an artist.

i couldn't believe this ridiculous thing first time i watched it. truly astounding.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIgnPmmcSXs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Hootington posted:

Zach snyder? The fascist?

As opposed to Joss Whedon, the humanist

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah I already knew about that, I was hoping there'd be something else

well there was that time when disney didn't have the complete rights to x-men movies yet so Ike's solution was to ban any new mutant characters, then gas all the x-men to death so they could be replaced by inhumans

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

also they tried to make cyclops into hitler for the crime of trying to stop the giant genocide cloud

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Mr Hootington posted:

Almost done with supernatural season 2 and man it is a good season of tv

It gets better. Then it gets worse. Then, not exactly better or worse but self aware? My wife is halfway thru and there's still so many seasons lol

Xaris posted:

that's true. everyone loves the multi-snyder cinematicverse snydercuts and fish-guy 2: fish returns and uh guy who runs really fast, and a black guy called adam

they've been coasting on Brand! movies lately tho like air jordans, cheetos, barbie, elvis

e: went to look at the past few years and hell, that's dire. no way they last to 2030 at this rate that its being dismantled and only making stupid comic slop that has no audience https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Warner_Bros._films_(2020%E2%80%932029) they got lucky that americans fuckin' love engaging with brands. they should shutdown the DC snyderverse extended cinematic universe and just make only Brand! movies for now on until heat death of the universe

Barring the release of the infamous director's cut, the Snyderverse has been completely finished since at least 2016, those movies are WB's pathetic attempts to "course-correct"!

The war's over charlie brown, it's time to move on & heal

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Calling elvis a brand movie seems weird.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

uber_stoat posted:

i couldn't believe this ridiculous thing first time i watched it. truly astounding.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

Calling elvis a brand movie seems weird.
i thought that may be contentious but i would say elvis is a brand in the same way The Beetles are a brand and not a band. it is something that has transcended individuality, an artist, into a sort of Consumable Brand via reproduction and consumption in the eikonosphere sense.

quote:

Mass reproduction may destroy the old aura by revoking singularity; but it may also create a new aura, whose gravitational force is derived directly from mass reproduction. The aura hasn’t elapsed; it has simply redistributed its force about the opposite extreme. Now the most reproduced is the most real, and the singular is the statistically insignificant, the politically inconsequential, the illegible-because-incomparable. And this, the cultural dream-life in which move and act the most reproduced and common images, is what I want to call the Eikonosphere.
The privileging of scientific, rational-empirical truth over all other forms of reality is a particular necessary in the creation of a worldwide Eikonosphere, because so much of its content must be reproduced. Only a statistically-minded people is capable of taking reproductions for their originals, of smoothing out the differences between the two by appealing to averages and reduction of error, and of eventually dispensing with the original altogether. Were we still traditionally religious, and possessed of the attendant focus on qualitas and quidditas, the specific, singular, and irreducible (as it reflects back, in a Judeo-Christian schematic, from the individual soul to the godhead) we would be incapable of such a contortion.

What, then, are the contents of the Eikonosphere, the Eikons themselves? Generally, they are composed of any image, sound, idea, personality (not “person”), etc. which has been massively reproduced and draws its value from the fact of reproduction; which has assumed an importance out of all proportion to its actuality; and which has come to occupy a psychic or imaginal position irreducible to its practical significance. (I use the word “imginal,” i.e. “located in the imagination,” as distinct from “imaginary” and its implication of untruth.)
it's the difference between say an John Brown biopic: one doesn't capital-c "Consume" John Brown the one one consumes Elvis

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Sun Records Extended Universe

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Elvis is a religious figure, duh

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

if elvis isn't a brand how comes we've had two gracelandverse films in two years

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

it'll be a little funny if the thing snyder actually deserves to take heat for ends up being pro-israel nonsense, as it will mean he's remained a default hollywood lib till the end

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

triple post, zaslav isn't bad at his "making movies" job he's good at his "liquidate anything of worth asap" job. he's not u-turned on the road runner for a genius marketing ploy, he's done it because if they're too blatently predatory then even sleepy joe might wake up the regulators when they come to selling the company off in a year's time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

josh04 posted:

it'll be a little funny if the thing snyder actually deserves to take heat for ends up being pro-israel nonsense, as it will mean he's remained a default hollywood lib till the end

So a fascist

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Clip-On Fedora posted:

John Blyth Barrymore is an artist.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Mr Hootington posted:

So a fascist

yes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

A rebranding from "Snyderbros" to "Snyder Syndicate" or "SS".

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
so whats this guys deal? he made good music videos in the old days and couldnt adapt so now he makes movie length ones?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/BasementBros69/status/1724256353433047530

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I found that Spotify has a ton of the Dr. Who audiodramas. That is fun.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

lmao am i getting goaded on my media tastes by a loving big finish fan

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

"my goodness! the monster is slowly advancing towards us!" the doctor said, out loud. "we'd better run out through the west door!"

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

fits my needs posted:

so whats this guys deal? he made good music videos in the old days and couldnt adapt so now he makes movie length ones?

Essentially. His early movies (I don't know about recent as I've not seen them) were standard, competently made mediocre movies that all had opening scenes like a well done music video. Dawn of the dead and Watchmen come to mind.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

lmao

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

why the gently caress would you not give robo an oreo

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Nichael posted:

i think the cast was getting annoyed at Peter for method acting on what they presumably thought was supposed to be a low-brow sci-fi flick

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

josh04 posted:

lmao am i getting goaded on my media tastes by a loving big finish fan

Who is big finish?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Not gonna lie, that Napoleon trailer with Black Sabbath on the big screen had me pretty hyped. I guess I am a boomer dad at heart

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Who is big finish?

The Dr. Who audiodrama people

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

The Dr. Who audiodrama people

They made them? I had no idea. I just found them on Spotify and started listening to fill the day. The first 1 wasn't bad. 2nd was OK. The last 2 have been pretty bad.

Colin baker's Doctor is a huge dick too

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Peggotty posted:

Not gonna lie, that Napoleon trailer with Black Sabbath on the big screen had me pretty hyped. I guess I am a boomer dad at heart

It's time for dudes being dudes again

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i think the cast was getting annoyed at Peter for method acting on what they presumably thought was supposed to be a low-brow sci-fi flick

Give him the loving oreo.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nichael posted:

HE IS NOT ROBO

HE IS PETER

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

They made them? I had no idea. I just found them on Spotify and started listening to fill the day. The first 1 wasn't bad. 2nd was OK. The last 2 have been pretty bad.

Colin baker's Doctor is a huge dick too

I only ever watched the serials, but yeah it seemed a trend in Doctors was to become bigger insufferable assholes over time. They went from rogueish charm to just jerks

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

loving lol

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Inhuman behaviour from the fat guy

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

I only ever watched the serials, but yeah it seemed a trend in Doctors was to become bigger insufferable assholes over time. They went from rogueish charm to just jerks

It really depends on the era. The first doctor was a bit of a kindly grandpa rear end in a top hat, 2nd doctor was much nicer and that carried through the 5th doctor. I haven't watched any 6th but that doctor is supposed to be an awful dick. 7th doctor was back to fun, nice, but a but of an rear end in a top hat.

The audio I listened to was my first exposure to the 6th doctor and just a dreadful doctor in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I may watch the documentary