Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Perestroika posted:

I'm catching up on season 3 of For All Mankind now that the fourth is coming out, but goddamn the finale just feels insanely contrived to the point where it lost most of its impact.
That show has gotten steadily more comical from season to season, I lost my poo poo when they revealed the monument to the astronauts who saved the moonbase after its secret second nuclear reactor went into meltdown and the off button was on the outside so they had to make spacesuits out of duct tape :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Glass Onion

Destroying the Mona Lisa to take down a single rear end in a top hat tech billionaire is actually a dick move and wildly disproportional. Don't get me wrong, I would burn the Mona Lisa to destroy Capitalism, but not just a single capitalist! There'll be plenty more where he came from.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

Glass Onion

Destroying the Mona Lisa to take down a single rear end in a top hat tech billionaire is actually a dick move and wildly disproportional. Don't get me wrong, I would burn the Mona Lisa to destroy Capitalism, but not just a single capitalist! There'll be plenty more where he came from.

I mean he did steal from and kill her sister, right? So a little revenge was at play.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean he did steal from and kill her sister, right? So a little revenge was at play.

He deserved to be ruined, destroying a world famous piece of art to do it is possibly a bit far. The Mona Lisa didn't do anything wrong.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Fil5000 posted:

He deserved to be ruined, destroying a world famous piece of art to do it is possibly a bit far. The Mona Lisa didn't do anything wrong.

Don't they establish right at the end that it was never the real Mona Lisa and the gallery just gave him a reproduction to shut him up? Almost like he can't tell the difference between the real deal and a fake/duplicate/twin.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

PriorMarcus posted:

Don't they establish right at the end that it was never the real Mona Lisa and the gallery just gave him a reproduction to shut him up? Almost like he can't tell the difference between the real deal and a fake/duplicate/twin.

I don't remember that personally, and I can't find anything confirming it (there's some article on CBR saying it burns like canvas rather than like the wood that the actual Mona Lisa is on but that's all pretty niche).

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't remember that at all and it would ruin the revenge plan surely?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah there's nothing in the text of the movie to support that.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's ok we can just get a computer to print a new one. We know what it looks like.

Also maybe we can print it a little bigger.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
If a piece of art must be destroyed to spite a billionaire, so be it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

PriorMarcus posted:

IIRC there's a couple instances where some pieces (a Rothko & a Matisse) are hung upside-down so Bron really is clueless regarding art.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
The Mona Lisa was worth it. It kind of sucks anyway.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

IIRC there's a couple instances where some pieces (a Rothko & a Matisse) are hung upside-down so Bron really is clueless regarding art.

To be fair, Rothkos are easy to hang wrong, Black on Maroon was hung the way the artist's signature suggested by a museum for like a decade and it was wrong.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

bitterandtwisted posted:

I don't remember that at all and it would ruin the revenge plan surely?

I've found it. My memory was recalling an interview with Rian Johnson where he said the below;

Rian Johnson posted:

"We also shot a little coda which we decided not to use, with Blanc on the phone speaking French and getting a little affirmation of 'ah, oui, oui, merci,'" Johnson said, "and cutting to an office in the Louvre where the real 'Mona Lisa' is, with the security guards saying 'well, back to work.'" That scene isn't in the film, however. Johnson explained that it felt like pulling a punch, saying he prefers the version of "Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery" that audiences got — the one where the "Mona Lisa" and her famous smile go up in flames.

Read More: https://www.looper.com/1161626/glass-onions-rian-johnson-explains-why-they-had-to-destroy-the-mona-lisa/

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Cliffhangers that go over the cliff and then levitate bug the poo poo out of me.

The Creator:Bad guy base is gonna launch a bunch of missiles at good guy bases. Good guys have to blow the thing up before it does. Cliffhanger! So they (a) get onto the base, (b) turn off all power to the base to stop the missile launch system, (c) plant a timed explosive on one of the missiles, (d) turn power back on, (e) and start their escape. But between (a) and (b) a significant number of missiles are fired, because they wanted to show the cool missiles-firing sequence. The bad thing they were trying to stop has already happened, the missiles are on their way and are going to blow up a significant fraction of the good guy bases! So instead what happens after the base blows up is that the missiles just stop working in mid-air, they need an active communications link with the base to keep working because everybody likes firing missiles that just stop working in mid-air if someone jams their communications signal. Also, for some reason after they turn the power back on everything on the base works except for the missile launch system.

Anyway I have a lot more IIMMs about this film, but at least it looked wonderful and only cost a mere $80 million. I hope it makes money because I think good-looking sci-fi films not based on existing IPs should get made more often because then maybe someone will make a really good one instead of one that trips over its own dramatic choices.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

It's ok we can just get a computer to print a new one. We know what it looks like.

Also maybe we can print it a little bigger.

Also I can buy a link to it and own that.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Also I can buy a link to it and own that.

get out

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

To be fair, Rothkos are easy to hang wrong, Black on Maroon was hung the way the artist's signature suggested by a museum for like a decade and it was wrong.

I'm reminded of the Arthur episode where the school bully/big guy successfully argued that a painting had been hung sideways.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Revisiting the Nolan Batman trilogy and aside from the ridiculous Batman voice that only somehow gets WORSE over three films, my biggest irrational gripe is with TDK. The third act really feels rushed and IMO Harvey's arc would have been better served by dealing with it in part 3. It's an amazing film that's anchored by Ledger's incredible performance but every time I watch it I start to check the time when we start dealing with Dent and I think it was too much too fast.

And I may have mentioned it before but in Batman Begins (my favorite of the three), we're shown how Bruce uses shadows, silence, stealth and subterfuge to take down groups and invoke fear and panic but we're never EVER offered him using those same techniques in the last two movies. I mean, aside from a throwaway line in Rises about how that approach is futile against Bane, he never even TRIES to do any of that poo poo again, even when he has crowd work to do, and he seems more intent on going full UFC or Arkham video game and just mowing motherfuckers down.

Hell, even the video games had stealth challenges. But in the films, they set up "this is how Batman operates and here's why", then just ignore it. Maybe it was a reaction to criticism about BB where people bitched that you couldn't make out the action scenes but I loved that.

Lastly, the motherfucking sound levels in these films. Christ. Action scenes and any music peel the paint off my walls and wake my neighbors but god forbid I can ever make out any dialogue.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It also bothers me that Joker just disappears from the movie and you never find out what happens to him, even in Rises. The last time you see him is when he’s hanging from the building surrounded by SWAT after telling Batman what happened to Dent.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
The sound mixing is just Nolan being a dumb rear end in a top hat at this point

I like his movies generally but his No It Is The Entire Viewing Audience That Is Wrong schtick is lame af

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That bothered me too. After all the buildup, Batman takes him out in like 30 seconds in a fist fight that Joker couldn't possibly win because he's not wearing armor. It's like... Yeah that does stop his plan and all but It isn't very interesting compared to the things you could have done.

Edit: I'm guessing that's legitimately part of the reason built dude Bane is the antagonist of the third movie, to remove that as an option for resolving the problem.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Nov 16, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

maybeadracula posted:

I like his movies generally but his No It Is The Entire Viewing Audience That Is Wrong schtick is lame af

I haven't seen Dunkirk or Oppenheimer. Do they do the same poo poo with the sound? I don't remember Momento or Following really having this problem.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CJacobs posted:

That bothered me too. After all the buildup, Batman takes him out in like 30 seconds in a fist fight that Joker couldn't possibly win because he's not wearing armor. It's like... Yeah that does stop his plan and all but It isn't very interesting compared to the things you could have done.

Edit: I'm guessing that's legitimately part of the reason built dude Bane is the antagonist of the third movie, to remove that as an option for resolving the problem.

It’s not that it was over quickly or not a big set piece or anything, but that Joker tells him about Dent and then we never know what happens to him after that moment, even in the next film. Even a throwaway “Yeah, and now he’s in Arkham” would have been enough.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Even a throwaway “Yeah, and now he’s in Arkham” "rope was mysteriously cut and he went splat" would have been enough.

Most likely answer honestly.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I always assumed the next movie was going to feature him a bit more, but Ledger died. It wouldn't be too hard to either add the Joker to the Bane plot, or find/replace a lot of Bane's stuff with Joker stuff.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

I haven't seen Dunkirk or Oppenheimer. Do they do the same poo poo with the sound? I don't remember Momento or Following really having this problem.

I haven't managed to see Dunkirk

Oppenheimer not really (a little though) because it's just not a big score action movie

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

BiggerBoat posted:

There was a joke with actual war veterans saying "the real war wasn't THAT loud"

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

I always assumed the next movie was going to feature him a bit more, but Ledger died. It wouldn't be too hard to either add the Joker to the Bane plot, or find/replace a lot of Bane's stuff with Joker stuff.
Ledger died in January of 08, and the movie came out in July. No way they had firm plans for part 3 before 6 months before part 2 was released.

His performance was such a hit the studio would have demanded he be in the next one if he had lived. Dude could have named his terms too.

RIP

Be careful with drugs kids. :(

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

deoju posted:

Ledger died in January of 08, and the movie came out in July. No way they had firm plans for part 3 before 6 months before part 2 was released.

His performance was such a hit the studio would have demanded he be in the next one if he had lived. Dude could have named his terms too.

RIP

Be careful with drugs kids. :(

If anybody needs, you can leave your drugs with me for safekeeping

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the scarecrow judge thing in rises was originally gonna be the joker apparnetly

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I've not read it, but apparently the novelization of Rises mentions that when Bane emptied all the prisons, he left Joker locked up because he was too much of a liability to be free.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ommin posted:

I've not read it, but apparently the novelization of Rises mentions that when Bane emptied all the prisons, he left Joker locked up because he was too much of a liability to be free.

Being able to disrupt Banes plans to just have fun and show how even their ideological purity can be broken, even talk league of shadows people into being his henchmen would have been really cool.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

MariusLecter posted:

Being able to disrupt Banes plans to just have fun and show how even their ideological purity can be broken, even talk league of shadows people into being his henchmen would have been really cool.
Absolutely. Or instead of Catwoman, Batman breaks out the Joker to be the big distraction. Ledger dying was a huge blow to Nolan's plan. I doubt Rises would be anywhere near the same movie it is had he lived. I have no proof of that, just the way it feels. Like people have said before, the way the Joker just disappears from the movie makes me think that his story was meant to carry over.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the stealth thing that's something I appreciated about The Batman - in that movie, Bruce uses the Batmobile as a deliberately loud option to ADD to the psychological warfare aspect of his fear stuff. After getting people to panic picking them off one by one, the batmobile literally roars like a caged animal and is used as Shock and Awe to terrify them completely.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
More likely that the Joker ends up in Gitmo or an equivalent rather than Arkham after the events of TDK.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

On the stealth thing that's something I appreciated about The Batman - in that movie, Bruce uses the Batmobile as a deliberately loud option to ADD to the psychological warfare aspect of his fear stuff. After getting people to panic picking them off one by one, the batmobile literally roars like a caged animal and is used as Shock and Awe to terrify them completely.

Not to mention the loudest boots available in Gotham.

Man I love that film.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

BiggerBoat posted:

Dunkirk has relatively little dialogue, which tbh makes it better

Oppenheimer only really drowns out dialogue In one scene I can remember. At the very end of the closed hearing scenes they add in audio from a very loud scene earlier in the film, to show how shook Oppenheimer is I guess. The score wasn't by Zimmer so it's not as bad in that regard

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

maybeadracula posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7wCjci-d7k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

The Nolan Batman trilogy is one of my favourites and I rewatch them at least once a year, but the evolution of the Batman voice is very funny to me. Like you say; it works really well in Begins, but by the end of The Dark Knight when poor Batman is loving exhausted and spitting out complete sentences WHAT HAPPENED TO RACHEL WASN'T CHANCE, WE DECIDED TO ACT; WE THREE. YOU WERE THE BEST OF US; HE WANTED TO PROVE EVEN SOMEONE AS GOOD AS YOU COULD FALL it just becomes ridiculous and Batman himself cannot be taken seriously.

As much as I love and adore The Dark Knight, a specific plot point that's always bugged me is nobody picks up on Batman choosing to save Rachel over Harvey Dent, if you don't know Batman is Bruce Wayne that must have been an incredibly strange choice for him to make

The final fight between Bane and Batman in TDKR, with Batman in full daylight and still doing that stupid voice despite having apparently decided to stop being Batman as of the end of today, and in full knowledge that Bane knows he's Bruce Wayne, and with all the extras just hurling themselves around and having a great time, is so overwhelmingly silly that I just love it to death.