Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

in my experience multi tasking makes everything worse
I'll enjoy a game much more if I can get in the mind space to focus on it alone and not like give in to the ADHD urge to browse the forums on my second monitor during load screens

checking wikis is cool though

I think it's my ADHD going from "an urge" to "a demand" in the sense that if I can't tab out and browse the forums, I cannot focus on the game at all. I bought a third monitor just last week so I could read visual novels on it (it's set under my main monitor) while doing other things (like making this post right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Late to Grim Dawn chat, but it's my most played game on steam, with over twice as many hours played as the next one up (which is Skyrim of all things. Shame.) For about a year, I had the game hidden because I couldn't stop playing it otherwise. I can't say what about it hooked me so hard. I'm horrible with needing to try every possible class in games, so I'd play a character to around level 60-90, depending on how quickly I got distracted and wanted to try something else. The dual classing makes for a stupid amount of possibilities. I hit the character limit for cloud saves. Sometimes I'd start a new character with a build in mind, and then find another level ~15 character going for the exact same thing that I'd started months ago and forgotten about.

Yes, it's very easy to make a character that sucks rear end to play, and I made a bunch before I figured out how to be more effective. Yes, it is in the beginning, pouring all your poo poo into one skill usually, but by level 40, most of my characters had plenty of buttons to push. Early game does kinda suck for that though, and I played it over and over for some reason.

In all that time playing the game, I never really did a whole lot of endgame stuff. I'd usually start a new character, thinking I'd go back and play this one again, but that rarely happened.

I'm stoked that they're still releasing stuff for it, but I'm a little apprehensive about starting again, just because of how hooked I had been in the past. I mean I liked the game; I had fun with it, but a lot of the way I played it felt kinda unhealthy. Well I reinstalled it anyway, in anticipation of the 16th.

Also, Farthest Frontier is good. I like that they're doing something totally different. If they put the same kind of continued improvement into it that they did GD, I'll probably play that for 900 hours, too.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Dishonored 2 is on sale for 3 bux
https://store.steampowered.com/app/403640/Dishonored_2/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

same sale: PREY IS 3$ holy gently caress this game is so good

https://store.steampowered.com/app/480490/Prey/

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Had Prey - Mooncrash on my wishlist forever, might as well grab it if it's $5. Loved the original but still don't even know what the DLC is besides something something roguelike.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Had Prey - Mooncrash on my wishlist forever, might as well grab it if it's $5. Loved the original but still don't even know what the DLC is besides something something roguelike.
Play Mooncrash. It actually forces you to improvise with the tools at hand in a way the base game doesn’t.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
You know how Prey teaches you to navigate and survive in this cool space station, but also gives you so many powers and resources that you never really have to push yourself? Well, Mooncrash has the same persistent-ish environment as the original, but stops the player from accumulating so much, and makes you play smart.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

i remember "ding"

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

FutureCop posted:

Highlighting a rather interesting demo I encountered: Erenshor: The Single Player MMORPG

As it says in the title, this game recreates an old-school MMORPG experience but is technically completely single-player and filled with bots to simulate other players: think games like .Hack, I suppose, but to a further degree. This isn't simulating newer MMORPGs like WoW though, this is very specifically old-school Everquest, where you're [H]ailing NPCs and typing in keywords to ask them about stuff, turning on auto-attack to beat up a skeleton and take his bone chips, checking enemies for their color-coded condition on whether they're safe to fight, listening to weird global chats and people auctioning their items, exploring dungeons and being careful not to aggro too much or get caught off-guard by respawns, and so on. I was really expecting it to just be nostalgia-bait, but I was pleasantly surprised at how fun it was to explore, finding hidden dungeons and quests with no obvious guidance.

I found it rather fascinating with the level of immersive simulation it does. For example, if you want to group up, you can literally type "LFG" in shout chat just like you would back then, and you'll get some responses from people in the area eventually that will make their way over to you: you'd expect that they would make it too convenient by having people teleport to you instantly, or to have some sort of modernized menu to facilitate grouping, but no, they are trying to recreate it authentically, for better or for worse. I tried typing "DING" into shout chat when I leveled up and sure enough, messages of "grats" filled the chat! I also found it amusing that it has a fake login screen, but some people were confused and afraid that it was using their credentials without their permission: it's almost too real!

Basically, if you liked Everquest and would like to play it again but find it too difficult to actually play with people on the old-school Project 99 servers, or you like other MMORPG-esque/exploration games like Morrowind or Gedonia or .Hack, consider checking out the demo and keep a look out for its eventual release.

Thanks for highlighting it. I'm not sure I'd ever play it, but it's a cool idea.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

FutureCop posted:

Highlighting a rather interesting demo I encountered: Erenshor: The Single Player MMORPG

As it says in the title, this game recreates an old-school MMORPG experience but is technically completely single-player and filled with bots to simulate other players: think games like .Hack, I suppose, but to a further degree. This isn't simulating newer MMORPGs like WoW though, this is very specifically old-school Everquest, where you're [H]ailing NPCs and typing in keywords to ask them about stuff, turning on auto-attack to beat up a skeleton and take his bone chips, checking enemies for their color-coded condition on whether they're safe to fight, listening to weird global chats and people auctioning their items, exploring dungeons and being careful not to aggro too much or get caught off-guard by respawns, and so on. I was really expecting it to just be nostalgia-bait, but I was pleasantly surprised at how fun it was to explore, finding hidden dungeons and quests with no obvious guidance.

I found it rather fascinating with the level of immersive simulation it does. For example, if you want to group up, you can literally type "LFG" in shout chat just like you would back then, and you'll get some responses from people in the area eventually that will make their way over to you: you'd expect that they would make it too convenient by having people teleport to you instantly, or to have some sort of modernized menu to facilitate grouping, but no, they are trying to recreate it authentically, for better or for worse. I tried typing "DING" into shout chat when I leveled up and sure enough, messages of "grats" filled the chat! I also found it amusing that it has a fake login screen, but some people were confused and afraid that it was using their credentials without their permission: it's almost too real!

Basically, if you liked Everquest and would like to play it again but find it too difficult to actually play with people on the old-school Project 99 servers, or you like other MMORPG-esque/exploration games like Morrowind or Gedonia or .Hack, consider checking out the demo and keep a look out for its eventual release.

Can I spend my entire Saturday camping an Idol of the Thorned, then spend a couple hours getting to East Commonlands, and my entire Sunday sitting in the North Ro tunnel spamming that I'm selling it in /ooc while people try to lowball me, rando noobs ask me for buffs, guildmates have arguments about eugenics, and my dad asks me what the gently caress I've been doing all weekend?

Because if so I'm in.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Grab dishonored 2 Prey and mooncrash if you haven't because old Arkane just didn't miss.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Grab dishonored 2 Prey and mooncrash if you haven't because old Arkane just didn't miss.

Man it's such a bummer, the company name carries zero cred for me anymore.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Wolfsheim posted:

howdy steam thread I finally have a PC that can play games from this decade and I've already succumbed to humble bundle madness

anyway I have an extra key for Batman Arkham Origins, ironically because someone else already gifted it to me on steam years ago, have at it:

46DTP-J3N0V-ATRM7

wait why did I spoiler this someone please take this old batman game with middling reviews

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Wolfsheim posted:

wait why did I spoiler this someone please take this old batman game with middling reviews

I checked not long after you posted it, it was already gone

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Just finished up Binary Domain, which was an absolutely barmy sci-fi cover-based third person shooter!

Gotta admit, I came really close to dropping this a few times. First time was early on when the game was so hard to initially setup and get running properly due to it being a bad port (had to give up on getting mic to work, but probably for the best), second time was with the early game just feeling pretty bad what with cramped corridors and my aim getting knocked around so easily by unavoidable enemy fire, and there were a few other times where certain bosses were an absolute tedious slog due to their spongy health and one-hit kills (likely from me playing on Survivor difficulty, so you can avoid this by sticking to normal).

All in all, though, it was pretty good dumb action-movie-esque fun, and I'm happy I stuck with it: somehow it never got old de-limbing robots with gunfire, it always had a new crazy boss or scenario happen next to keep things fresh, and the plot was absolutely bananas to witness. If you like games like Vanquish, Metal Wolf Chaos, Metal Gear Rising, Bulletstorm, Contra and so on, consider giving it a go. And if you do, feel free to follow the advice on the Before I Play page to get the best ending like I did (mostly just lets you know who to pair up with to spread the trust gain equally).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'm like 20 minutes into the Crystal Project demo and I really am intrigued by it, but... does it have a story? Like, at all? All the descriptions just say "go explore! adventure!" and every NPC just says "be nice to others" and "go explore!"

Is the game just an expanded FFV sandbox with no plot? Going to pass if that's the case :\

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

goferchan posted:

Man it's such a bummer, the company name carries zero cred for me anymore.

It is blowing my God damned mind that Redwall is still full price on steam

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Eason the Fifth posted:

*Redfall

e: Redfail

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

credburn posted:

I'm like 20 minutes into the Crystal Project demo and I really am intrigued by it, but... does it have a story? Like, at all? All the descriptions just say "go explore! adventure!" and every NPC just says "be nice to others" and "go explore!"

Is the game just an expanded FFV sandbox with no plot? Going to pass if that's the case :\

it has like... Lore. there is technically a story but because of how open the game it comes in the form of random vignettes with a handful of reoccurring characters and leaves you to piece together exactly what's going on with the world. i actually liked most of it (though it didn't quite come together in the ending for me) and the various books, chats, and even some areas and superbosses have you curious what's going on

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

credburn posted:

The fact that the start of the game involves an overly-friendly royal decree that people should EXPLORE, HAVE FUN, and most of all, FIND CRYSTALS is in fact part of the plot

But honestly, there isn't MUCH of a plot, and it's mostly passive, without a lot of, like, important cutscenes with dramatic revelations, and it's not a character-driven plot at all, it's mostly a setting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

It's not like lowering the price is going to make more people but it, so why not make maximum profit off the few who do?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Eason the Fifth posted:

I dunno, it's only $5, that seems pretty reasonable to me, even if it is technically "full price".

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

Ahh, bummer. I hope they get it fixed, surprising that the PC experience is so rough.

They’re pretty decent with X-input if you ask me. Triggers are analog and everything. Not sure if D-input is a must, but I’ll put that out there. You are aware of 8BitDo Ultimate Software too, right?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

redfall wasn't my worst reviewed game of the year (it's actually #35 out of 40 on my 2023 game rankings). worst goes to mon-yu, unfortunately

Orv
May 4, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

redfall wasn't my worst reviewed game of the year (it's actually #35 out of 40 on my 2023 game rankings). worst goes to mon-yu, unfortunately

Please reveal the other three because goddamn

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i hadnt heard of mon-yu. it is a $50 game that came out 2 months ago and has 6 (six) user reviews. so i guess a lot of people havent heard of it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Orv posted:

Please reveal the other three because goddamn
bearing in mind that the lowest score on my list is a 61.5 (which is at the bottom of what i call "Fair" in my tiers, with 70s being Good, 80s being Great, 90s being Phenomenal)

- interference dead air, which is a neat idea but feels like only half a game and isn't randomized enough to warrant replayability. i'll be playing a similar game, killer frequency, soon... and that might be a bit more successful in this space

- rusted moss, a disappointing metroidvania with clumsy controls but an interesting setting and neat challenge areas

- bloody hell, a free top-down twin-stick game that just doesn't have the most fun shooting to it

- pilfer: story of light, a 3d platformer that's a little underbaked and wonky, but the dev could improve and get better with their next title

- mon-yu, a game that has the usual solid Experience DRPG combat and dungeoning, but has an extremely low budget, tiny enemy variety, floors that have near-identical aesthetics/architecture, and other issues that bothered me that i've talked about in other posts

redfall i scored a 70 which is right on the fringe of 'good', because i found it to be trashy fun. granted, i played it after the most recent 2.0 update which added more enemy population, fixed several enemy AI bugs, added stealth takedowns, etc. it's definitely Arkane's worst game (and i'm tired of quippy protags), but like. there were times where I was having more fun playing it than Deathloop lol. but man, this was not a full $70 experience, and not nearly enough content to be a true looter-shooter co-op experience. it being so lean on content ended up being a positive for me because i prefer shorter experiences and the problems with the game didn't get a chance to ramp up in an annoying way. my playthrough was only 13 hours. the stuff that made it work better for me actually makes it worse as a game for the target audience in general, if that makes any sense??

there were times where i really liked the setting and architecture and then times where i'm like, man you didn't get enough time to finish this game. the historical markers for example are just generic copy paste models when they could've been like, cool historical sites or weird tourist-trappy things?? i dunno why that's what i'm focusing on first. there's also the cutscenes all being still frames using the 3d models. and the neighborhoods only having one mission before you unlock fighting the neighborhood boss. the special proc-gen areas you enter to stop a zone of corruption, it's obvious they wanted to do more with that but you only get the one real visual theme. none of this stuff would've made it a 9/10 game, but it would have maybe made it a 7/10 game for the average person instead of just me, the trashy game enjoyer

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 14, 2023

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

The 7th Guest posted:

lowest score list

- rusted moss, a disappointing metroidvania with clumsy controls but an interesting setting and neat challenge areas

Wow, really? Surprised to see this. I mean, granted, I haven't played it yet, so who am I to say, but the demo seemed so good, people seem to like it and I've been looking forward it. Wonder if you have any more specifics to ward me off it: was the bungee rope just really awkward to use in the end or something? Also, do you list this full list somewhere, like a website of yours? Always love a good list, me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My 8BitDo Ultimate controller doesn't work on the Steam link :(

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

nitsuga posted:

They’re pretty decent with X-input if you ask me. Triggers are analog and everything. Not sure if D-input is a must, but I’ll put that out there. You are aware of 8BitDo Ultimate Software too, right?

It's a catch-22 where the extra face and back buttons can't be mapped or macroed to anything (except duplicating the other buttons) in X-input and the analog trigger not working in D-input. Probably not an issue for a lot of folks! Not really workable for my use case, unfortunately

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

StrixNebulosa posted:

" unless you are gonna be multi-tasking and like playing the game in the background while doing other stuff on your desktop"

I genuinely can't remember the last time I sat down to play a solo game that wasn't also multi-tasking, and I'll be honest: if a game has fullscreen exclusive I can't play it.

Borderless windowed is OK, full windowed is better.

(*exception exists for the extremely rare multiplayer game I'm playing co-op with voice chat, because alt-tabbing in pubg gets you murdered / alt-tabbing in space engineers means you're out of oxygen)

Interesting because I think for me it has come to be the opposite. I never do more than one thing a time anymore because I felt in the past that my experience is dulled otherwise. If I feel like reading on my phone or something during a movie/TV show I've started to interpret it as my brain telling me to skip this one.

Not an expert, just a dumb games enjoyer, but it's my understanding that multitasking has increasingly been found to be a myth for the vast majority of people whose effectiveness gets destroyed by context switching.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Are there any good recent games with a Star Fox 64 vibe - like a rail shooter where you can dodge around a little bit?

There's a Panzer Dragoon Remake from couple of years ago if the space theme isn't mandatory.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Do you have to play a bunch to unlock options or something? Or a big execution wall you have to grind past? Because my experience felt the opposite, I was constantly wishing I could do something cool but feeling like the developer worked hard to keep me from utilizing any of the theoretical options I might have that weren't carefully executing some sort of intended puzzle solution. Everything else was just suicide and throwing away what little progress I made.

Maybe not having any friends that played it hurt? Is the social direct a big deal?

Sorry for not replying sooner. Its pretty much just finding gear as you go. The more stations you unlock the better gear you can buy or steal basically, and the more hurdles you'll have in your way. I dont think not having friends that played it hurts that much, you'll just find their corpses and whatever weapons and gear they'd have so it's a nice bonus but nothing you couldnt earn yourself.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kazzah posted:

You know how Prey teaches you to navigate and survive in this cool space station, but also gives you so many powers and resources that you never really have to push yourself? Well, Mooncrash has the same persistent-ish environment as the original, but stops the player from accumulating so much, and makes you play smart.

Until you break the game with Reverse Engineering. Then you stroll around and packrat it up again with the Engineer. Some might think that is cheesy, I think it was amazingly fun.

Awesome! posted:

i hadnt heard of mon-yu. it is a $50 game that came out 2 months ago and has 6 (six) user reviews. so i guess a lot of people havent heard of it.

It's Mon-Yu around close friends. For everyone else it is Mon-Yu: Defeat Monsters And Gain Strong Weapons And Armor. You May Be Defeated, But Don’t Give Up. Become Stronger. I Believe There Will Be A Day When The Heroes Defeat The Devil King.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What a snappy name. No idea why it didn't take off.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

that's enough, japan

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
And here I thought names wouldn't get more silly than Kingdom Hearts Three Five Eight Days Over Two

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

then you open the instruction manual and it's blank except for the words "Demon Quest: Trial of Monsters"

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Leal posted:

And here I thought names wouldn't get more silly than Kingdom Hearts Three Five Eight Days Over Two

If there is a game with some japanese words in the title, it may or may not actually be from japan. But if the title is something like Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition, you can be absolutely sure that it's a japanese game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tamba posted:

If there is a game with some japanese words in the title, it may or may not actually be from japan. But if the title is something like Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition, you can be absolutely sure that it's a japanese game :v:

But that doesn't even include the subtitle Accent Core R+ When They Cry CLR :confused: