Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Buddy Hield to Washington somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
The athletic has an article about an undrafted player going to an open g league tryout and getting the gig.

https://theathletic.com/5060547/2023/11/14/g-league-malique-jacobs/
ungated https://archive.is/iljkt

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

The athletic has an article about an undrafted player going to an open g league tryout and getting the gig.

I hope he can live out his dream and get paid to play basketball as long as he is able to.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

haven't watched a washington game. what's wrong with shamet now

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Omg the eyes light up!

https://x.com/SwinCash/status/1724443956094648644?s=20

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

OH WORD SON posted:

he is like top 4-5 in rebounding in the league

He's #10, tied with Julius Randle

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

hifi posted:

haven't watched a washington game. what's wrong with shamet now

He plays for the Wizards

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.

leftist heap posted:

He's #10, tied with Julius Randle

He's #4 unless you unless you are going by totals instead of per-game to support some sort of weird grudge.

Eratik fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 14, 2023

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Big three are back Wednesday per Suns beat writers. My body is ready

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

hahaha yes

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

This is a pretty unfair quote pull, even just in the slightly wider context of the clip it's pretty clear he's saying they were never mentally there in the first place.

But to the present Clippers: I'm a bit behind on podcasts so maybe I'm just repeating what is already being talked about, but last week everybody kept saying "well, of course it was obvious that what needed to happen right away was put Russ on the bench, it's only a matter of time," and here's what I think is a better idea: Harden off the bench instead. If he absolutely refuses to shoot the loving basketball without dribbling, then he can do that with either/both of Kawhi and PG off the floor. Watching this team is like peeling my skin off. It is worse than my darkest imaginings. The worst part is, they're the loving Clippers, so they'll probably win for some reason tonight and extend the illusion that maybe this is workable. I hope they get obliterated, just absolutely humiliated, so that one of the three of them takes some sort of accountability. Three because it's not Russ, I think he's done everything he's been asked since the second he got here. And I'm sure it won't be Harden, and Kawhi is a weirdo, so I guess it has to be PG to yell at them. Okay, yeah, they're hosed.

I don't know how much longer I can take this. I am ready to go back to the team being just regular bad. I have aged too quickly in the last 12-13 years, I want to go back to rooting for a team who is cursed to just never win rather than one who is cursed to look like they are supposed to win but manages to fail. I'm tired.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

OzFactor posted:

This is a pretty unfair quote pull, even just in the slightly wider context of the clip it's pretty clear he's saying they were never mentally there in the first place.

But to the present Clippers: I'm a bit behind on podcasts so maybe I'm just repeating what is already being talked about, but last week everybody kept saying "well, of course it was obvious that what needed to happen right away was put Russ on the bench, it's only a matter of time," and here's what I think is a better idea: Harden off the bench instead. If he absolutely refuses to shoot the loving basketball without dribbling, then he can do that with either/both of Kawhi and PG off the floor. Watching this team is like peeling my skin off. It is worse than my darkest imaginings. The worst part is, they're the loving Clippers, so they'll probably win for some reason tonight and extend the illusion that maybe this is workable. I hope they get obliterated, just absolutely humiliated, so that one of the three of them takes some sort of accountability. Three because it's not Russ, I think he's done everything he's been asked since the second he got here. And I'm sure it won't be Harden, and Kawhi is a weirdo, so I guess it has to be PG to yell at them. Okay, yeah, they're hosed.

I don't know how much longer I can take this. I am ready to go back to the team being just regular bad. I have aged too quickly in the last 12-13 years, I want to go back to rooting for a team who is cursed to just never win rather than one who is cursed to look like they are supposed to win but manages to fail. I'm tired.

Lakers chain guy origin story

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Nice look at Brandon Miller's defense buried at the bottom of this, which has been encouraging. Since starting, he's usually guarding the opposing team's best player and looking pretty good for a rookie.

https://x.com/TheAthleticNBA/status/1724138509592641828?s=20

His three-point shot has fallen off a cliff lately (2-for-17 in the last five games after starting 8-for-18) but he's otherwise looked solid offensively, 75% at the rim, 50%+ on mid-range attempts where he's more comfortable cooking, still somewhat productive even when his shot isn't falling. Not incredible finishing plays in transition but he's good at pushing the tempo. Looks way, way more comfortable handling the ball and creating opportunities than he did at Summer League and in the preseason when he couldn't give the ball away fast enough. Foul prone but not surprising considering they workload they're giving him.

I don't know what trajectory to expect given his age but it's a real solid foundation

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

Lakers chain guy origin story

I am "going through it" as the kids say

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media/2023/11/12/0022300186/577/f697da3e-4905-d7b3-be29-3a4a8f8e16eb_1280x720.mp4

This was 100% intentional. Rudy rules lmao.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol owned

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

maxey is a star and needed the ball in his hands all this time, i am willing to eat any amount of philadelphia crow in acknowledgement

morestuff posted:

Nice look at Brandon Miller's defense buried at the bottom of this, which has been encouraging. Since starting, he's usually guarding the opposing team's best player and looking pretty good for a rookie.

https://x.com/TheAthleticNBA/status/1724138509592641828?s=20

His three-point shot has fallen off a cliff lately (2-for-17 in the last five games after starting 8-for-18) but he's otherwise looked solid offensively, 75% at the rim, 50%+ on mid-range attempts where he's more comfortable cooking, still somewhat productive even when his shot isn't falling. Not incredible finishing plays in transition but he's good at pushing the tempo. Looks way, way more comfortable handling the ball and creating opportunities than he did at Summer League and in the preseason when he couldn't give the ball away fast enough. Foul prone but not surprising considering they workload they're giving him.

I don't know what trajectory to expect given his age but it's a real solid foundation

shooting is going to be fairly spotty for a while; he's used to getting clean looks and being able to just shoot over guys and now everyone can body him up and close out, plus the rookie wall

i saw his 20 point game against the nets, it's good that he's still good at everything he was good at in college, and the mid-range stuff is cool (nate oats pretty much forbade the entire alabama team from shooting anywhere that was inside the arc but outside the paint) so at worst he'll be a pretty dynamic bucket getter

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
this was cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvGYATHz8_Y

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Eratik posted:

He's #4 unless you unless you are going by totals instead of per-game to support some sort of weird grudge.

Was looking at the wrong year lol

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1724506310274642161?s=46

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Other big Hornets thought after 10 games, despite the small sample size and soft schedule probably making everything meaningless:

They're 11th in offensive rating despite worst-in-the-league three-point shooting, with Terry Rozier (26% on 6.2 attempts), Brandon Miller (28% on 4.0), PJ Washington (27% on 4.6) and Theo Maledon (19% on 3.0) being the worst culprits. That's mostly due to Mark Williams and Nick Richards crushing it on the offensive boards (3rd as a team in orb%) and at the rim with 73% and 79% marks from the floor respectively, plus Melo getting to the basket and the line more than he ever has.

The defense is the real problem so far, where they're getting killed from behind the arc and fouling too much. They might eventually benefit from some luck on the first one (currently 28th in opponent 3P% vs. 21st in opponent 3PA/g) but the second part is a combo of laziness and having to play a ton of young guys. Melo should be better than he is at this point, but I'm willing to give passes to Mark Williams, Nick Richards (26 years old but basically a second-year rotation guy who doesn't get the benefit of the whistle), Theo Maledon and especially Brandon Miller.

That'll all change some when Miles Bridges (ugh) basically takes over JT Thor's 20 mpg starting this Friday, but despite being pretty close to a worst-case scenario start there's some encouraging stuff if you squint

Declan MacManus posted:

shooting is going to be fairly spotty for a while; he's used to getting clean looks and being able to just shoot over guys and now everyone can body him up and close out, plus the rookie wall

i saw his 20 point game against the nets, it's good that he's still good at everything he was good at in college, and the mid-range stuff is cool (nate oats pretty much forbade the entire alabama team from shooting anywhere that was inside the arc but outside the paint) so at worst he'll be a pretty dynamic bucket getter

He all of a sudden started racking up 0-for-5 and 0-for-6 games so it mostly just feels like nerves / confidence stuff to me, he still looks comfortable taking them so the consistency should just come with time

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Actually Rudy sucks. Don't let him near a microphone.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

That's really cool. It's just nice seeing someone who loves the game getting a chance

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Mavs heavily favored tonight, but have you considered

https://twitter.com/PelicansNBA/status/1724111766056030514

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm numb, the only guy with any trade value is Caruso
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1724506310274642161?s=20

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

a new study bible! posted:

This is so halloween themed in mid november. I support it

same color scheme as my pvc ninja turtles wallet from childhood

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Kibner posted:

Pels will be without 5 of their top 10 players tomorrow (CJ, Trey, Jose, Herb, and Nance). Their stars really need to pick up the slack and actually produce on both ends of the court in a manner that befits winning more than personal stats.

I am turning into grumpy old man that yells at clouds and for kids to get off my lawn.

What is going on with the Pels strength and conditioning/physio teams? So many constant injuries :(

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

a new study bible! posted:

its beautiful

i hope its as beautiful in action

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

good thing everyone else is playing well
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1724528059963916314

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Time for The Andrew Wiggins Game tonight

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gonna be funny when Caruso returns the biggest "haul" out of the Bulls fire sale

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

The pure charisma of the Ant Man is starting to rub off on the rest of team too. Even Rudy almost looks cool.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

This is fantastic.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

toggle posted:

What is going on with the Pels strength and conditioning/physio teams? So many constant injuries :(

The one they've had from when Zion was drafted and until this past offseason was led and hired by the guy renowned for keeping Nash and Hill healthy in Phoenix. The Pels switched training/med staff this season.

Jose sprained an ankle during an off-season scrimmage.

Naji sprained his knee during pre-season.

Nance fractured his ribs somehow???

CJ has a collapsed lung.

Jokic dove onto Herb's leg.

Trey tore his meniscus in the off-season during a scrimmage.

I don't know how much of that a training staff can help with.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

OzFactor posted:

This is a good post.

I think this is stuff that can come out the wash if they play enough together and things don't fall apart completely. Like I guess if the feeling really is that this is over then the Clippers could get a ton of poo poo for Kawhi and PG but that doesn't seem like Ballmer's style.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Dr David Thorpe on Truehoop was also saying that Harden should come off the bench. I'm in the "westbrook off the bench and beat Harden over the head to take c&s shots" camp, because Westbrook + [center] just isn't enough shooting for a modern elite offense.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
All this "we want Harden to be himself" nonsense Lue and PG keep saying, and then everything Harden himself has said since he arrived, just seems to imply (and by "imply" i mean come right out and say directly) that nobody thinks James will be flexible. Russ has already proved to be very flexible! There is a place for James to be James Harden: the second unit!

The other silly thing about all this, of course, is that "where does James fit with the other three" is a question that will inevitably be answered by "only two of them are available tonight."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

Dr David Thorpe on Truehoop was also saying that Harden should come off the bench. I'm in the "westbrook off the bench and beat Harden over the head to take c&s shots" camp, because Westbrook + [center] just isn't enough shooting for a modern elite offense.

I dunno it's hard to get precise splits as a fan but from what we can see the Russ/PG/Kawhi Clippers were a pretty terrific offensive team. Paul George and Kawhi create a ton of gravity just by being on the floor. Which makes life easy for a guy who wants to drive to the rim or a guy who wants to post up.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Kibner posted:

The one they've had from when Zion was drafted and until this past offseason was led and hired by the guy renowned for keeping Nash and Hill healthy in Phoenix. The Pels switched training/med staff this season.

Jose sprained an ankle during an off-season scrimmage.

Naji sprained his knee during pre-season.

Nance fractured his ribs somehow???

CJ has a collapsed lung.

Jokic dove onto Herb's leg.

Trey tore his meniscus in the off-season during a scrimmage.

I don't know how much of that a training staff can help with.

Ah ok. What is going on over there?? I hope the rehab team can sort this out when they come back though. I get annoyed when I tune in for my monthly Pels viewing and half the team isn't playing, so I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to follow this team. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

OzFactor posted:

All this "we want Harden to be himself" nonsense Lue and PG keep saying, and then everything Harden himself has said since he arrived, just seems to imply (and by "imply" i mean come right out and say directly) that nobody thinks James will be flexible. Russ has already proved to be very flexible! There is a place for James to be James Harden: the second unit!

The other silly thing about all this, of course, is that "where does James fit with the other three" is a question that will inevitably be answered by "only two of them are available tonight."

You'd think they'd want to always have at least two of them on the court at all times once. But the problem is they all want to start, so it gets hard to stagger them properly. And when you have just Harden without Kawhi or PG then the lineups are small and defense is pretty bad. Like they were running lineups of PJ Tucker, Mann, Harden, Powell, and Bones.