Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Dienes posted:

Rothfuss hopped on GoodReads to plug his book and is very butthurt he didn't log in to a bunch of 5-star reviews.

i'll never understand someone like rothfuss who gets success that just about everyone else would dream of, then get all publicly malding like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Horizon Burning posted:

i'll never understand someone like rothfuss who gets success that just about everyone else would dream of, then get all publicly malding like this.

And he still has to take a second to point out that he's still in the top ten of reviewers on Goodreads (like that means anything), for that extra layer of whiny bitchiness. My brother in christ, most people would kill to have your life, and this is how you waste it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

when i retire from SA i’m gonna come back every few years to make a post like that

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

StonecutterJoe posted:

And he still has to take a second to point out that he's still in the top ten of reviewers on Goodreads (like that means anything), for that extra layer of whiny bitchiness. My brother in christ, most people would kill to have your life, and this is how you waste it.

It's because he's a self-centered whiny little baby. He even mentions outright that he doesn't write reviews to actually REVIEW books, but so he can instead use them as blog-posts to talk about himself and brag.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
i love the utter lack of self reflection to say 'I ignore this platform, haven't logged in for a year and now for some reason I'm no longer a star on here?'

cracking stuff, 100% rothfuss

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Jesus, what a textbook narcissist. In retrospect, Kvothe is *exactly* the kind of “hero” that a pathological narcissist would invent.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Chicken Butt posted:

Jesus, what a textbook narcissist. In retrospect, Kvothe is *exactly* the kind of “hero” that a pathological narcissist would invent.

Name of the Wind becomes infinitely more pathetic once you realize that Kvothe is Rothfuss' wish-fulfillment self-insert.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
the funny thing is, if Kvothe were a somewhat unreliable rear end in a top hat narrator that would be really a very solid execution

it's not too late to do the swerve, Patrick

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My theory is Rothfuss came up with the idea of fallen hero king killer Kovthe early on because he thought the King Killer Chronicles was a badass name and worked backwards from there. Once he started writing plucky street orphan turned prodigy Kvothe he either forgot about the original concept or figured he had all the time in the world to get there. Maybe toward the end of the second book he was like, oh yeah I should probably have a king somewhere in this story Kvothe can maybe kill?

I'm guessing he got to the third book and discovered the random tidbits he threw in to make his story mysterious weren't going to come together into an earth shattering resolution that would alter the reading of the previous two books, or would amount to something stupid. For example who's the king that Kvothe will kill? It could be Ambrose but having Kvothe's childhood bully be the ultimate bad guy sounds horrendously dumb... but who else would that even be if not a new character.

So yeah. I think Rothfuss is at a roadblock where finishing the story he wanted to write will take real work to fit together fragments of foreshadowing into a satisfying narrative, and it's work that should have ideally been done while writing those tidbits. Instead Rothfuss put it off for later and was happy enough writing two books full of self contained slice of life anecdotes of a fantasy college student. A better author would have had some kind of ending planned out and a more self aware author would have just written something, anything, to resolve the plot and get the book out.

Rothfuss isn't smart enough to plan ahead and isn't self aware enough to realize he won't find a magic throughline from the blocks of nothing happening in the first two books. Instead he'll keep working to make the third book perfect, which it will be as soon as he figures out one or two things out, promise.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
He's at a road block because he likes to do literally anything other then work on his book like trying to force his way onto KS projects and write for Rick and Morty comics.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Has there ever been a montage of Rothfuss webcam cries over the last 10 years that definitely, totally didn't make him mad?

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
What other authors have put other failed authors into their works specifically alluding to Rothfuss? I think Sanderson could churn that out. Maybe the duo that is SA Corey could throw something into their upcoming new series.

I completed my undergrad referencing these threads across multiple online forums. It would be hilarious to publish the threads as a literary journal.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If Rothfuss actually wanted to get out of this hole but really does have no idea where to go with the story I wonder how he could get out of it. Like is hiring other writers who could read the other books and basically try to "break" the story the way tv writers do an option? Then once they outline the heck out of it he goes and and fills in the gaps with his metaphors that don't hold up to scrutiny.

Though I'd imagine there are some stories that are just too broken to break. And the fact that the writers for the abandoned tv/film projects where never able to come up with anything that could work on screen is another mark against it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You could legitimately higher a ghost writer to do the bulk of it, throw it through a chatGPT (Or Rothfuss himself, same result) and then just spend a few months editing it and you'll end up with enough of a book to top best seller charts at this point. The masses don't care *what* the book is so long as its published. The Rothfuss stans will love anything and us here being all enlightened will still buy it, read it, and then complain about how bad it is.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I guess the issue is doing that would strip away the last of his festering pride, so it won't happen.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

M_Gargantua posted:

You could legitimately higher a ghost writer to do the bulk of it, throw it through a chatGPT (Or Rothfuss himself, same result) and then just spend a few months editing it and you'll end up with enough of a book to top best seller charts at this point. The masses don't care *what* the book is so long as its published. The Rothfuss stans will love anything and us here being all enlightened will still buy it, read it, and then complain about how bad it is.

You're very close. We'll get it through :filez: and feel superior for it.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm guessing he got to the third book and discovered the random tidbits he threw in to make his story mysterious weren't going to come together into an earth shattering resolution that would alter the reading of the previous two books, or would amount to something stupid.

For some reason I've always had the impression he thought things were going great and then one extreme moment of realization gave him some perspective. I always liked to think that he followed that tor.com re-read but then when he saw the authors discussing symbolism and themes and trying to predict what would happen in the third book based on the first two he realized he hosed up and whatever he had didn't live up to anyone's expectations. Ever since then he's struggled to suddenly become a good enough writer to deal with the two doorstopping albatrosses around his neck, with apparent lack of success.

The "became a successful enough author to not have to be an author" hypothesis might be more valid.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fobby posted:

For some reason I've always had the impression he thought things were going great and then one extreme moment of realization gave him some perspective. I always liked to think that he followed that tor.com re-read but then when he saw the authors discussing symbolism and themes and trying to predict what would happen in the third book based on the first two he realized he hosed up and whatever he had didn't live up to anyone's expectations. Ever since then he's struggled to suddenly become a good enough writer to deal with the two doorstopping albatrosses around his neck, with apparent lack of success.

The "became a successful enough author to not have to be an author" hypothesis might be more valid.

He definitely snapped when he was on Twitch trying to stream Fallout 4 and every comment was "where's book 3 dude"

There's got to be a sense in his mind that his legacy is somehow solid, and even if he never writes another book can be attending cons in his 60s as a highly regarded fantasy author to the praise of generations. The reality is the longer it's been the smaller the fanbase has gotten and his book has aged pretty badly from the culture shift from the late 00s to now. Anyone trying to pick book 1 and read it is going to tag Kvothe as an pseudo-incel and probably drop the book when everything goes right for him no matter what. If they make it to book 2, his whole becoming a epic sex haver will probably turn off a good chunk of the people who powered through it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The most fantastical occurence is that Kvothe has sex.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

pentyne posted:

He definitely snapped when he was on Twitch trying to stream Fallout 4 and every comment was "where's book 3 dude"

The funniest thing about that was seeing at least four writers tweeting things like "Can't wait to play Fallout 4 tonight, after I'm done writing all day!" without mentioning or tagging Rothfuss at all. Didn't need to, everyone knew what they meant.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dienes posted:

Rothfuss hopped on GoodReads to plug his book and is very butthurt he didn't log in to a bunch of 5-star reviews.

"Looks at all these friend requests I have, I'm so popular" as his opening is about as Peak Rothfuss as you can get.

Horizon Burning posted:

Hopefully it's due to him realizing he's a hack who got extremely lucky and that he's not actually a talented writer. That'd also explain his complete unwillingness to write Doors of Stone and instead focus on running charity scams and finding other ways to make money without writing a book that will be an utter mess yet he'd probably still sell a million copies even if he'd just publish some AI-written poo poo because his fan base is just that big and stupid.

Ccs posted:

If Rothfuss actually wanted to get out of this hole but really does have no idea where to go with the story I wonder how he could get out of it. Like is hiring other writers who could read the other books and basically try to "break" the story the way tv writers do an option? Then once they outline the heck out of it he goes and and fills in the gaps with his metaphors that don't hold up to scrutiny.

Though I'd imagine there are some stories that are just too broken to break. And the fact that the writers for the abandoned tv/film projects where never able to come up with anything that could work on screen is another mark against it.

Rothfuss has an ego the size of a planet. He is literally incapable of doing what you suggest because it'd mean he has to accept criticism of his work from others and acknowledge its flaws. You're talking about the same guy who prefaced his Auri novella with a "if you think this book is bad you're wrong and it's clearly not for you" defense which is beyond pathetic. Even if he had offers of help from his idol, noted sexpest Joss Whedon, he'd never agree to it (and having his idol criticize his work might actually kill him).

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
He got lucky because he was close personal friends with a publisher, aka the Eragon method of making it big.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Maybe, maybe he had the idea of the title before deciding to writing a book, but he never sat down to write anything.

He took his undergrad short stories (things he wrote because he was paying for a degree and had no choice but to complete as he wasn't a successful "author" at the time) and slapped a framing device around them and then came up with the title. This is why he can't finish the story: there's no story to finish.

I hated my experience with Name of the Wind and will not be giving the man more money or reading the other books. I love reading other people's analysis of them though.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If he plays the unreliable narrator card then I will read it. Otherwise it's a waste to even revisit the series

The tree! He already accidentally gave himself the plot device!

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The books suck but the real crime for me was all the nerds telling me how beautiful and evocative the prose was and how subversive it was to the genre and then I got this poo poo. The bar isn't high for scifi fantasy poo poo and this was determined to limbo below it.

I've certainly read and enjoyed worse but Rothfart has this colossal, rear end-shaped ego for his incomplete middling fantasy series that really sours even trying to make fun of it anymore.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

If he plays the unreliable narrator card then I will read it. Otherwise it's a waste to even revisit the series
What if he pretends playing it, like in the first one? "It wasn't a dragon, just a giant fire-breathing lizard!"

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Fobby posted:

Rothfuss seems like the kind of guy to get irritated if folks figure out a plot point or 'mystery' being set up and try to change it so they are wrong, even if that was what he originally planned.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

anilEhilated posted:

What if he pretends playing it, like in the first one? "It wasn't a dragon, just a giant fire-breathing lizard!"

:actually: not all fire-breathing lizards are dragons even if all dragons are lizards and and andeporugjodjbgfn bgh :goonsay:

That section made me realize that Rothfuss is likely the kind of person who makes players keep track of their spell components in D&D sessions he runs.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

pentyne posted:

Anyone trying to pick book 1 and read it is going to tag Kvothe as an pseudo-incel and probably drop the book when everything goes right for him no matter what.

This was more or less my experience when I tried to read NOTW a few years back; I think I made at a little over halfway through before it went back to the library.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The first book was a great read back in my freshman year of college so in my mind there is a nostalgia-stained "good" version of The Name of the Wind. I still think there are nuggets of good ideas there, but many of them were employed much better by Christopher Buehlman in his recent book "The Blacktongue Thief".

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Dienes posted:

Rothfuss seems like the kind of guy to get irritated if folks figure out a plot point or 'mystery' being set up and try to change it so they are wrong, even if that was what he originally planned.

I'm sure the twists and turns of the plot and mysteries will map 1:1 with those in his colon.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ccs posted:

The first book was a great read back in my freshman year of college so in my mind there is a nostalgia-stained "good" version of The Name of the Wind. I still think there are nuggets of good ideas there, but many of them were employed much better by Christopher Buehlman in his recent book "The Blacktongue Thief".

It helps that Buehlman is a hell of a lot better as an author. His other works are also pretty damned good.

Capisano
Sep 11, 2001

Brutal

Ccs posted:

...many of them were employed much better by Christopher Buehlman in his recent book "The Blacktongue Thief".

Thank you for the recommendation, I got the audiobook from my library and it's awesome so far.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Capisano posted:

Thank you for the recommendation, I got the audiobook from my library and it's awesome so far.

Don't sleep on Between Two Fires either. I liked it as much as the Blacktongue Thief.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MartingaleJack posted:

Don't sleep on Between Two Fires either. I liked it as much as the Blacktongue Thief.

Far better imho if you're into historical fiction at all. Between Two Fires was . . . Probably the best medieval horror I've read since Name of the Rose.

Blacktongue thief was good but had strong "my d&d campaign as a novel" vibes which is fine and probably sells better so more power to him.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Far better imho if you're into historical fiction at all. Between Two Fires was . . . Probably the best medieval horror I've read since Name of the Rose.

Blacktongue thief was good but had strong "my d&d campaign as a novel" vibes which is fine and probably sells better so more power to him.

Yeah, Blacktongue thief is more or less traditional fantasy, done well. Between Two Fires is Bosch in writing.

Honestly, all his books (except maybe some of the latter vampire books) are really, really good. The Necromancer's House is one of my favorite modern fantasy books.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I can't say enough good things about Between Two Fires. Some people are put off by the beginning but another one of my favorite series in another media is Berserk, so I'm kind of immune to that stuff as long as its in a horror context and not endorsed.

The sense of foreboding and general atmosphere of Between Two Fires is beyond anything else I've read. Maybe its a sign I should seek out more medieval horror, but I think Buehlman just really tapped into something there. Aspects of his other books like The Necromancers House and The Lesser Dead also come close in parts, but not as frequently and without the grandness.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Ccs posted:

Yeah I can't say enough good things about Between Two Fires.

I think I always had an inkling, true or not, that medieval people lived in non-stop horror about both the real world and the afterlife. This book did a real good job at conveying that horror.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I should reread Between Two Fires, now that you mention it, absolutely fantastic book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Notahippie posted:

Yeah, Blacktongue thief is more or less traditional fantasy, done well. Between Two Fires is Bosch in writing.

Honestly, all his books (except maybe some of the latter vampire books) are really, really good. The Necromancer's House is one of my favorite modern fantasy books.

Did he write more vampire books than The Lesser Dead? Anyway, that book is probably his weakest work I've read so far, but that's mainly because of the beginning. By the end of the book I had a strong favourable opinion of it, so it definitely is a book that asks for a little faith and patience to start off.