Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Peggotty posted:

Not gonna lie, that Napoleon trailer with Black Sabbath on the big screen had me pretty hyped. I guess I am a boomer dad at heart

the movie is going to be so sick

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Russell T Davies coming back to Dr Who in the Age of Content is gonna be interesting. he had real carnie energy promoting the show when it was a smaller enterprise, I'm wondering what it will be like now

even in 2005 Davies was really aware of online fan communities, the show as a brand, and knew how to work the media to get the most coverage

now there's people who've made careers and even businesses by making videos about genre television. Dr Who has Disney money behind it to build that brand. The Content Treadmill plays to Davies' strengths when it comes to promotion

There's definitely going to be an episode where a Youtube React guy gets eaten by some alien monster

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Russell T Davies coming back to Dr Who in the Age of Content is gonna be interesting. he had real carnie energy promoting the show when it was a smaller enterprise, I'm wondering what it will be like now

even in 2005 Davies was really aware of online fan communities, the show as a brand, and knew how to work the media to get the most coverage

now there's people who've made careers and even businesses by making videos about genre television. Dr Who has Disney money behind it to build that brand. The Content Treadmill plays to Davies' strengths when it comes to promotion

There's definitely going to be an episode where a Youtube React guy gets eaten by some alien monster

Are the Jodie Whitaker episodes good? They've been behind a paywall and I burned out after Peter Capaldi's run, so I haven't watched Doctor Who in a while.

I'm the tourist guy who only started watching during the David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston runs. I saw some Tom Baker episodes and they were okay, but I've never felt the need to try to catch up on 60-70 years worth of canon.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
If you want to watch old Doctor Who stuff just watch the 3rd-5th doctors. Those are the best of the old stuff. Maybe check out the very first appearance of the Daleks with the 1st doctor. It is surprisingly good old sci-fi.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

It will be interesting to see. They did do some of that kind of sell aware stuff before and it was some of the lower aspects of the show.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

Are the Jodie Whitaker episodes good? They've been behind a paywall and I burned out after Peter Capaldi's run, so I haven't watched Doctor Who in a while.

I'm the tourist guy who only started watching during the David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston runs. I saw some Tom Baker episodes and they were okay, but I've never felt the need to try to catch up on 60-70 years worth of canon.

I stopped watching during Capaldi's run too. People seem to like Whitaker but dislike the plots. Personally I'm sort of put off by the idea that there are episodes about aliens getting involved with the civil disobedience of Rosa Parks and the Partition of India, but apparently those are some of the better episodes?

I started paying attention again because of Davies doing carnie poo poo like bringing Tennant back

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Eric Cantonese posted:

Are the Jodie Whitaker episodes good?

No.

Atrocious Joe posted:

I stopped watching during Capaldi's run too. People seem to like Whitaker but dislike the plots. Personally I'm sort of put off by the idea that there are episodes about aliens getting involved with the civil disobedience of Rosa Parks and the Partition of India, but apparently those are some of the better episodes?

I started paying attention again because of Davies doing carnie poo poo like bringing Tennant back

there's a much worse episode where there's an evil nightmare Amazon.com planet where the only job is to work for space Amazon in horrific conditions and there's not enough jobs anyway and so there's one guy who trying to fight back and Dr Who comes in and kills him and leaves everyone else to their fate because 'terrorism is bad'

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

If you want to watch old Doctor Who stuff just watch the 3rd-5th doctors. Those are the best of the old stuff. Maybe check out the very first appearance of the Daleks with the 1st doctor. It is surprisingly good old sci-fi.

the only doctor who media I’ve ever seen was the two Peter Cushing movies

I intend to keep it that way. Cushing is the canonical doctor

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

this rules

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

I watched a few. Whitaker herself is fine but the stories are abysmal and unfocused. Chibnall decided to take the bold step of making directionless mush

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

not really which is a shame because she was good. the new doctor is a very hot black man so that’s cool.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

not really which is a shame because she was good. the new doctor is a very hot black man so that’s cool.

The difference a simple mustache makes is absurd

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i only recently started getting into dr who and pretty much exclusively the Tom Baker stuff, lots of really good rubbery alien suits, it rules

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dr Who is Britland's Like A Dragon. It is 1:1

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i only recently started getting into dr who and pretty much exclusively the Tom Baker stuff, lots of really good rubbery alien suits, it rules

The John Pertwee era is also top notch. Fighting alien plots in a velvet smoking jacket ftw

E: One of Baker's seasons was edited by Douglas Adams

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

You know who else wouldn't give Robo an oreo?

That's right. OCP!

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

KirbyKhan posted:

Dr Who is Britland's Like A Dragon. It is 1:1

:psyduck:

bro you just detonated my brain

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Constantine 2??? oh, hell yeah

e: DEMOLITION MAN 2????? gently caress

indigi has issued a correction as of 22:07 on Nov 14, 2023

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

In all seriousness, that guy seemed to be responsible for gun safety on set, so I can see why he would be kind of humorless about the whole thing and want people to take him seriously. He probably shouldn’t have been carrying eight Oreos around if he wanted people to do that though.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Please do not make Demolition Man 2

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I want a prequel that goes over the Franchise Wars. I want to see Taco Bells rise to greatness through advanced tank warfare.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Nix Panicus posted:

Please do not make Demolition Man 2

beep boop I’m a nerd I must have the origin of the three sea shells spelled out and explained in a pre-sequel. who invented the sex helmet? elon musk perhaps??

it’s not acceptable and triggering to have things not explained. demolition man 2 must happen

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

I want a prequel that goes over the Franchise Wars. I want to see Taco Bells rise to greatness through advanced tank warfare.

Ok I didnt know I wanted this until just now. Give me Taco Tank Police: Live Mas

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Clip-On Fedora posted:

In all seriousness, that guy seemed to be responsible for gun safety on set, so I can see why he would be kind of humorless about the whole thing and want people to take him seriously. He probably shouldn’t have been carrying eight Oreos around if he wanted people to do that though.

i don't understand how you've decided that guy 'wanted to be taken seriously'. I think he was just loving about and doing power moves on Robocop.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Whomst amongst us would not taunt Robocop with oreos?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

This is the only way it a sequel could work. Start off with drive by's in drive thorough and end with Ronalds last stand as the tanks close in on Mc Donald's last location.

He told them they'd never take him alive, and they didn't. :(

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Nix Panicus posted:

Whomst amongst us would not taunt Robocop with oreos?

technically not illegal. he couldn't do anything to stop you.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Peter Weller just starts shouting 'DIRECTIVE 5: ACQUIRE COOKIES' and slaps the oreos out of his hand and pushes him over the railing

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

i don't understand how you've decided that guy 'wanted to be taken seriously'. I think he was just loving about and doing power moves on Robocop.

No he was an evil “buzzkill” Godamnit

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Nix Panicus posted:

I watched a few. Whitaker herself is fine but the stories are abysmal and unfocused. Chibnall decided to take the bold step of making directionless mush

This is my take as well. She starts out a bit shaky but is generally good. The plots are real dumb though.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
What the Dr. Whoniverse really needed was another Cushing Dr. Who movie to come out between the 13th and 14th doctors to give the reboot more impact. Make it CGI, some bullshit like the Dr. Who version of the Clone Wars series, slap it on Disney+, boom, proper palate cleanser - not bringing back Tennant and Tate to tease what would've been a better experience than all of Season 13, if not the entirety of Whittaker's wasted tenure

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Whittaker got even more shafted by bad writing than Capaldi did, which is really saying something considering how insufferable Clara got by the end. Same for 13's companions - I thought the actors themselves did well at their roles, but they were given just absolute piss-poor writing to work with.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
is doctor who fandom still the most deranged or has that fizzled out?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Xaris posted:

Look at the 2 posts above you.

This applies to most "fandoms" though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Xaris posted:

Supernatural gets my vote but there's def some overlap there

Never forget Homestuck too

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

If anyone is still in the Homestuck fandom I don't doubt theyre the most deranged people on the internet, but why would anyone be left? Hussie loathed his audience and spent the last years of Homestuck trying to be as obvious as possible about it, plus it hasnt been culturally relevant in years

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

you mean Pizza Hut, ya?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSOq-UEYda8

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I don't engage with "fandoms" so my enjoyment of things is higher than most goons. I recommend this tactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't engage with "fandoms" so my enjoyment of things is higher than most goons. I recommend this tactic.

yep