Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Coaching masterclass:

Leon get 4 points. Connor score a goal.Skinner, stop the pucks.

Bingo Bango coach of the year baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Coaching masterclass:

Leon get 4 points. Connor score a goal.Skinner, stop the pucks.

Bingo Bango coach of the year baby

May as well just give Connor the Masterton trophy this year too. He’s just been through so much.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Draisaitl is kind of a piece of poo poo lol

https://twitter.com/worldhockeyrpt/status/1724262695531061435

it's just a weird clip.. don't think I've ever seen a hockey player do that before..

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
He looked non-plussed going to the penalty box too. "Just a regular day against the boards"

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

Draisaitl is kind of a piece of poo poo lol

https://twitter.com/worldhockeyrpt/status/1724262695531061435

it's just a weird clip.. don't think I've ever seen a hockey player do that before..

Grumpy Leon rocks

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Islanders guy should have swung his stick back harder.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

The PWHL released their jersey designs today and they’re… okay. No logos and very old school.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzoY1q6LmK_/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I’m deeply annoyed that there’s puckering on the embroidered letters for the press photos.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Toronto jersey is basically City Name (Sports Team omitted). Jeffrey should sue.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 14, 2023

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Both of the Sens games in Sweden count as home games lmao, owns how much the league hates them

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

taco show posted:

The PWHL released their jersey designs today and they’re… okay. No logos and very old school.

I’m deeply annoyed that there’s puckering on the embroidered letters for the press photos.

Those are all just pallet swaps lol that’s horrible

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Woof, that league isn't gonna last a year if that's the amount of effort put into the jerseys

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Imagine having so little faith in the PWHL that they don’t hire somebody to create a single team logo lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

taco show posted:

These are terrible

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dirty Burger posted:

Imagine having so little faith in the PWHL that they don’t hire somebody to create a single team logo lol

The teams don't even officially have names.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I begin to suspect this league will fold before a puck even drops, or very soon after :sigh:

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I know I said I liked Leon a few pages ago but I changed my mind again he is stupid and I hate him. I'd love to see someone feed him his teeth.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

taco show posted:

They suck rear end. My elementary school roller hockey team had more professional looking uniforms.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

huh, just seen this pop up https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-67419951

quote:

A man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in connection with the death of ice hockey player Adam Johnson, whose neck was cut during a match.

The Nottingham Panthers player was injured by a skate in a match against Sheffield Steelers on 28 October.

The 29-year-old was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

A post-mortem examination confirmed he died as a result of a fatal neck injury, South Yorkshire Police said.

The force said detectives arrested the suspect on Tuesday, adding that he remained in custody.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

What? Is the suggestion there that the guy who cut him did it on purpose for some reason?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I guess it depends on who is arrested, but it seems odd that there was more to it than just a horrible accident? Like was the blade sharpened too much or something?

is this a scenario similar to Senna’s death where various engineers of his team were investigated and went to Italian criminal court for murder? (they were acquitted)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mike_V posted:

What? Is the suggestion there that the guy who cut him did it on purpose for some reason?

Manslaughter would be recklessness.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nybble posted:

I guess it depends on who is arrested, but it seems odd that there was more to it than just a horrible accident? Like was the blade sharpened too much or something?

is this a scenario similar to Senna’s death where various engineers of his team were investigated and went to Italian criminal court for murder? (they were acquitted)

From https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/homicide-murder-manslaughter-infanticide-and-causing-or-allowing-death-or-serious

quote:

Manslaughter
Manslaughter is primarily committed in one of three ways:

Killing with the intent for murder but where a partial defence applies, namely loss of control, diminished responsibility or killing pursuant to a suicide pact.
Conduct that was grossly negligent given the risk of death, and did kill ("gross negligence manslaughter"); and
Conduct taking the form of an unlawful act involving a danger of some harm that resulted in death ("unlawful and dangerous act manslaughter").

So it doesn’t need intent. Could be “you durned hockey players hurt each other all the time and one of you went too far” to skates sharpened too much to ice hockey is negligent and should be illegal. We’ll have to see!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The arrested person must be the player involved. Unless they're suggesting someone paid him to cut Johnson's neck and maybe also arranged the Kennedy assassination and 9/11

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres are honoring Kyle Okposo tonight since it’s his 1000th game. Considering that they got shut out by the shambling husk of Tristan Jarry on Saturday, you can be sure the Bruins are going to absolutely crush them and ruin the celebration.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Aphrodite posted:

The teams don't even officially have names.
They trademarked six mediocre names but haven’t officially announced them: Toronto Torch, New York Sound, Montreal Echo, Minnesota Superior, Ottawa Alert, and Boston Wicked

Like, would love actual professional women’s hockey but this is not off to a great start.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Really though is the British government trying to kill the hockey league ASAP? No one with any options whatsoever is going to want to sign on to join a fledgling league in a country that will charge you with a major felony for an accident.

To be clear, I don't at all rule out the possibility that the British government could in fact be trying to kill the hockey league ASAP.

e: then again some people in this thread were suggesting he murdered Johnson on purpose so maybe that's what the British officials think too I dunno

taco show posted:

They trademarked six mediocre names but haven’t officially announced them: Toronto Torch, New York Sound, Montreal Echo, Minnesota Superior, Ottawa Alert, and Boston Wicked

Like, would love actual professional women’s hockey but this is not off to a great start.

It won't last three months

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

From what I understand of it with the remnants left in Canada, the British system can often require an arrest be made even when there's no plan to press charges.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Now now. Let’s not discount the possibility that the investigation turned up something and there actually was intent to hurt or kill Johnson. There’s only like a 90% chance it’s real stupid.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
When I saw the video, I did think to myself that it didn't seem like a hockey play. The guy skated into Johnson and just lifted his left leg. There was no reason it shouldn't have just been a check.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think even if it is a horrific accident as it appears, they have to do due diligence and interview him under caution.

I garuntee the British government does not give the slightest poo poo about ice hockey, but the coroner, prosecutors and health and safety folks absolutely care about a guy dieing a bloody death in front of a bunch of kids.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

I finally watched the clip and couldn't believe how much it looked like an intentional kick. It looked way more like a superkick than seems possible, if it was an accident. My guess it the guy was going for his sneaky Mortal Kombat leg sweep I've seen him do before, but it went wrong. That seems like potential manslaughter.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Carwash oval office posted:

I finally watched the clip and couldn't believe how much it looked like an intentional kick.
It sucks to think about, but I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this.

The first time I saw it, it looked intentional. And now seeing it again and confirm my previous opinion and it still looks intentional.

It kinda looks like when two players get into it earlier in the game; and then later, maybe during garbage time, one of them goes after the other with a big check. But instead of a check, it was a high leg.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 14, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do you know how difficult it is to intentionally kick in hockey?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Only when it comes to the puck.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, I agree it seems almost impossible to super kick someone on skates. I still don’t know how to end up in that position completely accidentally

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, but I also know that, in some rare cases, a lifetime of training and dedication can enable people to do things that I find difficult.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There are people who aren't even Penguins fans who think Matt Cooke slicing Erik Karlsson's Achilles was an accident.

Actually murdering someone by purposefully slicing their jugular with your skate during a game though I dunno, that's a bridge even the Cookes and Simons of the world wouldn't cross so I have to assume a freak accident in such an extreme case

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's probably why it's the first time we've seen it happen. Hockey is played standing on 4 thin rails on ice. There's going to be a lot of randomness to the physics there.

The guy was trying to come in for a hit around Johnson's teammate. He missed the angle and was leaning in a bit, he can't get by the teammate cleanly and the contact ended up being only his upper arm/elbow/shoulder area and no hip. That threw him off balance, you can see it in the video.

Habibi posted:

Yes, but I also know that, in some rare cases, a lifetime of training and dedication can enable people to do things that I find difficult.

If the guy's reaction time, situational awareness and coordination were good enough to do that intentionally he'd have been in much higher level hockey.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 14, 2023

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1724504241253794284?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

This is never going to come to a conclusion lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Can someone explain why crazy people have politicized this death? It was done in a UK league that I, and assumedly 99% of other people, have not heard of before. Other than race, I feel like I’m missing something.