Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Seeing this play live yesterday I couldn't believe it was a TD. Probably should've been picked off 9/10 times

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1724115071301816333?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
^When he threw that I assumed someone must have just gotten totally free and then I saw the crowd and it was about as no no no yes yes yes as it gets lol.

Purdy was excellent yesterday, though, one of his best games just in general and contextually I think pretty important, even beyond the obvious.

Purdy's main benefit since he became the starter is he's super aggressive. He routinely gets chunk plays where Jimmy G would sail it out of bounds or curl up for a sack (in a million years, Jimmy doesn't hit that bomb to Kittle). Part of the reason I wasn't really down on him at all after the last couple of weeks is because when your starting QB is 23 and his defining characteristic is "never turns down a chance to gain 25 yards," he's gonna gently caress up once in a while. I've been expecting some headscratchers, I accept it as part of the process, so when they came, much as the losses sucked, I wasn't down on him. What did worry me is that it's super easy to just keep chucking it when things are going perfect and you've won every time your arm hasn't gotten obliterated and you've never thrown a game away and everything is sunshine and lollipops. Coming off this recent stretch, featuring his poorest single game against CLE and his worst, most costly mistakes, with his team in a slump and then going on the road against a top takeaway defense, it would've been so easy for him to start turtling up. So I was incredibly pleased that he was pretty much the exact same dude, even if he should probably quit while he's ahead on the across his body stuff. Gunslinger Purdy *might* get himself in too much trouble to ultimately stick, but Dink and Dunk Purdy would be exactly as replaceable as he gets accused of being.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Even against the Browns, Purdy put us in a position to win. Yesterday was just rock solid, except for that one TD of course. He gets away with a lot of questionable decisions. The thing is, when, say, Mahomes does stuff like that he isn't questioned. Purdy will get there as he builds his reputation.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If 49ers fans still think Purdy isn't the guy then they deserve to have a Jimmy G level QB forever.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Intruder posted:

also the right guard is trying to make sure that even if there's a miracle there'll be an ineligible receiver downfield flag

I really dislike this particular rule.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Failson posted:

Watching Goff be okay with the Lions makes me hopeful Herbert will eventually find success somewhere that isn't the Chargers.

Seattle will welcome you back to the Pacific NW Herbie.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Kirios posted:

If 49ers fans still think Purdy isn't the guy then they deserve to have a Jimmy G level QB forever.

At least online, a very loud chunk think that's what he is, despite presumably watching both of them play.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dutchy posted:

At least online, a very loud chunk think that's what he is, despite presumably watching both of them play.

I got a good look at the rookie QB the Raiders benched Jimmy for last night. I don't think Jimmy, at least this year's version, gets the Raiders many more points, if any.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Purdy seems like he's A Guy but maybe not The Guy. which is to say he could absolutely win a championship in the right environment but it's hard to imagine him being a QB you build a team around

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

epic bacon posted:

Purdy seems like he's A Guy but maybe not The Guy. which is to say he could absolutely win a championship in the right environment but it's hard to imagine him being a QB you build a team around
Have you watched any of the many breakdown videos guys like JT O'Sullivan put out? I am really impressed with his ability to throw with anticipation. He consistently hits WRs perfectly in stride even with balls he throws before the WR makes his break. It seems unreal to me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

He gets too much flak because he looks like A Guy and was taken in the seventh round.

But... Yeah, he's a borderline Top 10 QB already. He gets way, way too much hate.

He's no Tom Brady and probably never will be, but he's easily the best late round QB since Tom. I rate him higher than someone like Dak.

I've said this quite a few times, but being able to accurately anticipate coverages and throw in that narrow gap is the most important, and hardest, thing for a NFL QB. Stroud has it, Purdy has it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this isn't a who's better post about anyone but stroud is in third place for yards per attempt and second place in adjusted yards per attempt while having the 28th ranked completion percentage in the league. that is pretty broken for those two things to happen at the same time. it's usually a weird outlier guy like 1998 chris chandler or 2013 foles when he looked like the best qb in the league for 10 games or whatever it was. he isn't a weird outlier guy or very much does not seem like it anyway. got no conclusion about it either. bye

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Stroud leads the league in passes of 20+ yards and has had some help from his receivers like Noah Brown getting 50 YAC on one of his TD throws against the Bengals on a play that he had no real business being able to score on because it was a busted play that had the only two receivers who were running routes end up right next to each other which worked out because Dell was able to throw a block on Brown's man

From the eyeball test Stroud has good zip on the ball, can be but isn't always extremely accurate, and handles pressure surprisingly well considering he's a rookie and that was a weakness of his coming into the league. The pass blocking has been really good and on blitzes they've done a good job giving Stroud a safety outlet to get the ball out fast whenever there's a free rusher. I think I saw he averages nearly a full second of time in the pocket over average. Just wish the run blocking was in the same universe as the pass blocking

e: he's also getting the Tannehill luck from a few years ago as far as picks go. Only two picks but there've been several throws that should have been.

For whatever reason against the Panthers it seemed like every three or four throws he'd get it batted by a defensive lineman

Intruder fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 14, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Harlock posted:

Seeing this play live yesterday I couldn't believe it was a TD. Probably should've been picked off 9/10 times

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1724115071301816333?s=19

There was Favrian levels of bullshit in this pass.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Stroud looks good but I wonder how he and the Texans do next year when they don't have the softest schedule possible

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Parallax posted:

Stroud looks good but I wonder how he and the Texans do next year when they don't have the softest schedule possible

https://fbschedules.com/2024-houston-texans-schedule/ Packers, Bears, Pats, Jets, Jags twice (they've beaten them at least once a year 11 of the last 13 years), and an NFC East team. Not a cupcake year but at least 5 wins just there should be manageable, which beats 2020, '21, and '22

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The Texans were supposed to be the cupcake schedule. They're playing out of their minds and Stroud looks completely legit. He's got the anticipation of Drew Brees and the body of some random guy off the street but the arm of a hawk and I lost the trail

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Doltos posted:

The Texans were supposed to be the cupcake schedule. They're playing out of their minds and Stroud looks completely legit. He's got the anticipation of Drew Brees and the body of some random guy off the street but the arm of a hawk and I lost the trail

howl of the wolf?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Texans have wins over the Steelers and Bengals and losses to the Falcons and Panthers so maybe an easier schedule is worse for them

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Stroud is quite good but losing to the Panthers should definitely cost him any potential MVP votes

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

epic bacon posted:

Stroud is quite good but losing to the Panthers should definitely cost him any potential MVP votes
Eviro is legit, I guess? Or were the Panthers healthy for a game or something?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Eviro is legit, I guess? Or were the Panthers healthy for a game or something?

They weren't healthy for that game. secondary still a shambles, Burns had one arm, etc

Luvu won DPOTW that game, but stroud was missing a bunch of open passes in the second half.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What’s up with Levis

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What’s up with Levis

shockingly, one impressive game against The loving Falcons where more than half of his yards and 3 of his 4 touchdowns were all to DeAndre Hopkins wasn't really indicative of consistent production

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Those highlights of underthrown balls to Nuk while he had no one within fifteen yards of him don't translate to weekly dominance?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The offensive line is very very bad and Atlanta still managed four sacks on him in a game where Grady Jarrett blew his acl. No further explanation is required beyond that lol

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

FizFashizzle posted:

They weren't healthy for that game. secondary still a shambles, Burns had one arm, etc

Luvu won DPOTW that game, but stroud was missing a bunch of open passes in the second half.

To add onto this the Texans were also hellbent on making the rushing attack work and ran the ball 30 times for a sweet 110 yards. Stroud only attempted 24 passes and I think 4 of them were batted down by the Carolina D line. Since that game the Texans coaches have let him cook more than trying to force the running game to be something it’s not (good).

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

b0ng posted:

To add onto this the Texans were also hellbent on making the rushing attack work and ran the ball 30 times for a sweet 110 yards. Stroud only attempted 24 passes and I think 4 of them were batted down by the Carolina D line. Since that game the Texans coaches have let him cook more than trying to force the running game to be something it’s not (good).

Is that just a function of the line being piecemealed together or has Pierce really fallen off (when healthy)?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pierce has missed a couple games now and hasn't looked as good as last season when he has played. Singletary has definitely been the better back so far

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The offensive line is very very bad and Atlanta still managed four sacks on him in a game where Grady Jarrett blew his acl. No further explanation is required beyond that lol

I don't think Grady Jarrett is their guy anymore. It's Ebiketie and Dupree doing all the pass rushing and David Onyemata is their guy in the middle.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Intruder posted:

Pierce has missed a couple games now and hasn't looked as good as last season when he has played. Singletary has definitely been the better back so far

The lines been inconsistent in run blocking, and I also don’t think Pierce has great vision for zone run schemes. I hope he puts it together but Singletary seems much better suited for the blocking scheme

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I know McClain has a history with the Watson situation of playing loose with the facts but still fun to think they were saved from themselves by Lovie Smith.

https://x.com/jamespalmertv/status/1724480719110430755?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Worst trade in nfl history was originaly a three team trade that would have got Texans to 1, Carolina to 2 and Chicago to 9.

It wasn’t happening right away so tepper just stomped his feet and told fitterer to make it happen.

quote:

According to Panthers owner David Tepper, however, that wasn't how the trade was originally drawn up.

"We had a trade to go up to No. 2," Tepper said. "It was a three-way trade with Chicago. And we were gonna go up to No. 2. And the Texans were gonna trade up to No. 1, Chicago was gonna go to No. 2, and we were gonna trade with Chicago (for No. 9 pick).

And we're waiting. I think we had that trade kinda arranged on Wednesday. I come from a world where you do trades, and I don't love when trades don't happen right away. So I'm driving Scott [Fitterer] crazy. I have to apologize to Scott for this, by the way.”

https://x.com/avl_mike/status/1724772224631017866?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Why in the name of god would you admit that

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Worst trade in nfl history was originaly a three team trade that would have got Texans to 1, Carolina to 2 and Chicago to 9.

It wasn’t happening right away so tepper just stomped his feet and told fitterer to make it happen.

https://x.com/avl_mike/status/1724772224631017866?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Why in the name of god would you admit that

finance guys ruining everything they touch ftw

Yudo
May 15, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

Howell is the latest UNC QB to be trash, a mantle he'll pass onto Drake Maye next season.

Counterpoint: Howell good.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yudo posted:

Oh yeah?
How well can he throw if he lost to da bears?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yudo posted:

This is truth. Also Drake is good.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Yudo posted:

Can he throw left? That's what killed Mitchell

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Forrest on Fire posted:

Can he throw left? That's what killed Mitchell

What problems howell has are unrelated to his arm. He has serious arm talent. That said, low bar (throwing left), though if mitch is the UNC QB standard, I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Mitch was pretty good in college and so was Howell.