Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
No matter what, Espada's better than Ausmus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

live with fruit posted:

No matter what, Espada's better than Ausmus.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also shows that the Grima Bagwell stuff is a little overblown, since Dana made it clear in the PC that Crane let him pick his guy. Weird that Crane wasn't at the presser tho.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The time of the Wallet is near. I can feel it in the air. I can hear it in the ground.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Surely there are people who love Ohtani enough to have an intervention if he decides to go back to the Angels

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Surely there are people who love Ohtani enough to have an intervention if he decides to go back to the Angels

Gary Pettis was reportedly gonna take a job with them but Espada talked him out of it lol

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Gary Pettis was reportedly gonna take a job with them but Espada talked him out of it lol

As much as I think Pettis is not a great third base coach and wouldn't have minded a change (as insignificant as that spot is), you gotta respect a man who won't let his friends go to the Angels

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Third base coach seems unimportant until you're throwing up a stop sign way too late in the world series

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mdemone posted:

The time of the Wallet is near. I can feel it in the air. I can hear it in the ground.

Arte Moreno/Anthony Rendon make a pretty good Sauron/Saruman comp

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

As much as I think Pettis is not a great third base coach and wouldn't have minded a change (as insignificant as that spot is), you gotta respect a man who won't let his friends go to the Angels

Espada is a former 3rd base coach himself. He was with the....Yankees until 2017

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Intruder posted:

If this is a veiled criticism, then I won't hear it and I won't respond to it

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bregor posted:

Arte Moreno/Anthony Rendon make a pretty good Sauron/Saruman comp

Now there's a thought that'll fester

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I am writing another installment of insane suggestions for all 30 teams for Pitcher List and you'll never guess what my Angels entry is!

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1724267071511351552?t=gO2JPdIPIkVJ4DWrTLjUew&s=19

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
NL Central turning into an Anakin/Obi Wan plot

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

NL Central turning into an Anakin/Obi Wan plot

It’s over, Attanasio. I have the large market.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Nico Hoerner was one of the pod racers in the Boonta Eve Classic

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

Rickie Weeks being reported as Brewers new bench coach

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the one guy reinsdorf pays
https://twitter.com/jon_greenberg/status/1724210346368401581?s=20

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Oooh, oooh, can I be the first to make a joke about the Mets record being below the Mendoza line?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Popete posted:

I'm pretty sure Nico Hoerner was one of the pod racers in the Boonta Eve Classic

Honestly if you told me Nico and Dansby were two Star Wars characters I’d believe you

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Oooh, oooh, can I be the first to make a joke about the Mets record being below the Mendoza line?

Only if I can be the first to post this if he fucks up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDBPeRqi3v0

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SamBlum3/status/1724451398937673943

quote:

“I’m not one that’s big on using the iPads,” said Percival, who spent six seasons as the head coach at UC Riverside. “I understand it. I had to understand it through college coaching. I just feel like we need to have coaches with eyes that can see things and put their hands on people and fix them. It’s really difficult to look at an iPad and think that it can make the adjustments that it needs to make.”

drat -kids-on-their-phones rear end management

quote:

Percival said he did not call on anyone to be fired, and merely shared his observations and opinions with Angels farm director Joey Prebynski. But those words seemed to carry weight with the team’s decision-makers. Shortly thereafter, the Angels let go of the two highest-ranking pitching instructors in their farm system: pitching coordinator Buddy Carlyle and pitching performance coordinator Dylan Alexrod. People briefed on the changes said Percival’s frustration with his visit played at least a factor in the Angels’ decision to oust them.

The Angels declined to comment, citing a policy against discussing employment-related matters.

Percival is far from the architect of organizational change — those decisions ultimately fall to the front office and owner Arte Moreno. But this offseason, the Angels have made other moves that could signal a significant shift in their pitching program, both in personnel and strategy, heading into 2024.

Shoulda banned this shift

quote:

Those changes include the dismissal of an analytically-inclined member of the front office, the re-hiring of a pitching coach who had been reassigned off the coaching staff a year ago, and the possibility of letting a Driveline-trained coach leave the organization. And then there’s the change in the managerial chair, with the jury still out on whether new skipper Ron Washington will mix in an analytics-based approach.

quote:

The Angels in recent years had seemingly emphasized modernizing pitching strategy. But as the front office now rebuilds the coaching staff, it’s unclear what philosophies the new group will prioritize.

When asked what the Angels needed to change in their pitching approach — and what factors led to the personnel changes — Minasian was vague.

“It’s not necessarily one single thing. I think it’s just a new voice. Change,” Minasian said. “Maybe a different method on what the focus is, what’s really important. … Taking a different angle to how we’ve developed the last couple of years.”

Part of taking a different angle apparently meant reaching back into the past, with the Angels bringing Dom Chiti back into the fold to replace Carlyle as pitching coordinator. Chiti, 64, is a longtime coach who worked for Minasian in the Angels front office in 2020 and as the major-league bullpen coach in 2021-22. Following the 2022 season, Chiti was reassigned off the big-league staff, with the Angels signaling a preference toward the analytically-minded Hezel. Now, Chiti is back in the org.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Angels should shake up their pitching coaching staff and philosophy every 2-3 years, that’ll fix whatever’s wrong with that org surely

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1724474634974703904

lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Hahahahaha Cashman is trying to get fired

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you read the NYDN article he's mostly positive/optimistic about him. He's also 100% correct.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oh and that's the same agent as Yamamoto lol

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

My hopes for Ohtani staying are buoyed each time I read a disaster piece about how everyone else's organization is also total poo poo.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

mdemone posted:

My hopes for Ohtani staying are buoyed each time I read a disaster piece about how everyone else's organization is also total poo poo.

He should go to a well run organization that has recently demonstrated that they know how to win. That’s right, the Texas Rangers.

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

He should go to a well run organization that has recently demonstrated that they know how to win. That’s right, the Texas Rangers.

I agree with this post.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Phillies and Brewers swapped some what I think are minor leaguers around

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Phillies and Brewers swapped some what I think are minor leaguers around

https://twitter.com/Phillies/status/1724487549870129277

Dunn might be a late bloomer, Moore and Mendez are both kids with little power

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/Padres/status/1724498982540582983

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh no an owner died.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
An owner died but it's good for the even more craven ones because the Padres are going to slash payroll now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Welp either Soto's getting pulled off the trade market or it's about to be an Everything Must Go Closeout Sale

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thats a good point if they are going to set up for a sale.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm kidding, every single player they pay real money to except Soto has a NTC so they're stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Welp either Soto's getting pulled off the trade market or it's about to be an Everything Must Go Closeout Sale

It was already reported that they're trying to trade their setup man who's only making $7M.

euphronius posted:

Thats a good point if they are going to set up for a sale.

There's still like four or five more Seidlers in the ownership group.