Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

quote:

We are also working on the performance not only because it's necessary for the console release but also for PC platforms to allow the creation of huge cities.

Why do I get the feeling only one of these is true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

General cynicism towards human beings' intentions once they ascend to even the smallest morsel of power or control over money?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
"pathfinding errors"

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mandoric posted:

"pathfinding errors"

Guess they had to deliver a head in a box to three fellas in an empty field.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

You know, if they had just billed this as "early access" instead of pretending it was a finished release it would have undermined a lot of the anger about its state.

I guess the suits thought that might have undercut some profits this quarter or something?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

piratepilates posted:

Guess they had to deliver a head in a box to three fellas in an empty field.

Slightly concerned about that being "beverages".

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Mandoric posted:

Slightly concerned about that being "beverages".

https://www.oglaf.com/skulls/

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Mandoric posted:

"pathfinding errors"

Ignoring full obvious bugs even, the fact pathfinding only cares about the shortest road-route and ignores road throughput and traffic is just baffling.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Skyl3lazer posted:

Ignoring full obvious bugs even, the fact pathfinding only cares about the shortest road-route and ignores road throughput and traffic is just baffling.

Especially when they made a whole dev diary about how route preferences would be more sensibly derived and would differ across demographics (cheapest vs quickest etc)

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Tarnop posted:

Especially when they made a whole dev diary about how route preferences would be more sensibly derived and would differ across demographics (cheapest vs quickest etc)

I guess that feature is disabled too, for an who knows how long.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Looking forward to road hierarchy actually mattering and not the currently broken AI kits taking the absolute first turn off the highway no matter which part of the city they want to go to, which results in miles long pile ups because every lane wants to merge for that turn.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

RagnarokZ posted:

I guess that feature is disabled too, for an who knows how long.

Calling it now, that the roaming dog packs were using the AI Pathfinding and disabling them disabled the whole thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Looking forward to road hierarchy actually mattering and not the currently broken AI kits taking the absolute first turn off the highway no matter which part of the city they want to go to, which results in miles long pile ups because every lane wants to merge for that turn.

Gotta say I have not observed this at all, my citizens make good use of the Robert Moses level of highways I put everywhere in my starter city. There are no traffic jams anywhere.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
I've seen different. I've started making all my schools have dead end loading roads because 1) there doesn't appear to be any real loading/unloading at schools and 2) although it looks good everybody driving down the 4 lane in front of the school would inexplicably turn onto the 2 lane alley-loader backing up traffic, and I could never figure out why, or prevent it. Only making it a dead end stopped it. Same with the dirt roads I'd put at farms, even though there's a six lane into the city cars would line up on the dirt road if it at all connected to the city, even if it was longer.

Here's one...

That said, the farms do turn out nice (when there's not bumper to bumper traffic on them). I wish the fields had more variety though.

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 14, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

RadioDog posted:

Bus driver strike? This is funny one, but it's killing my city and reloading doesn't fix it. It won't let me move the station either. And there's no way I'm deleting that bus station and rebuilding all those lines.

I had an infusion of taxis cause a similar clusterfuck at my bus station. I feel like the blueprint should be bigger and should have multiple entry/exit points like how some parking lots work.

Grand Fromage posted:

Gotta say I have not observed this at all, my citizens make good use of the Robert Moses level of highways I put everywhere in my starter city. There are no traffic jams anywhere.

Yeah, my only traffic issues that haven't been self-inflicted have been from there being no left turn arrow at stop lights.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

RadioDog posted:

That said, the farms do turn out nice (when there's not bumper to bumper traffic on them). I wish the fields had more variety though.

drat those look really good. I need to re-evaluate my farm lots.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The farmland's going to be real nice with a handful of mods. Get rid of all the random rear end out buildings, more crop variety, and ability to place them everywhere instead of just on the tiny little bits of arable land.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arable land should just be a +100% farm production bonus.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

The farmland's going to be real nice with a handful of mods. Get rid of all the random rear end out buildings, more crop variety, and ability to place them everywhere instead of just on the tiny little bits of arable land.

?

The grain and cotton farms don't put buildings on the field. The vegetable farm will put greenhouses on the field, which makes some sense but would probably make more sense if there were more of them placed more orderly. The livestock farm puts various barns and similar on the field, which also makes sense for livestock, but could maybe also be more orderly.
The bigger problem I think is the ground texture. Livestock doesn't graze on a grain field, they graze on grassy plains. Vegetable and cotton fields don't look like grain fields. And fields look different throughout the year.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Kinda poor planning they put it in effort to draw 5 zillion polygons for some tiny building details but some zones look like they have texture budget of a PS1.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MikeC posted:

I think he means he is cutting the utility cost to cims by 50%. I have not been able to generate lvl 5 res at all either but I haven't played in a few weeks and probably won't until they fix the cargo economy that is still broken.
The cargo economy is still broken? drat. I made a cargo terminal my top priority in my first city because I thought it would do something and when it didn't and I looked up that it was just broken I stopped playing and haven't picked the game up since.

I really like the idea of a more complex industrial chain in a city game, but I'm not going to get invested in building one up until at least the most basic functions are actually there.

I get there are bugs at release, but I would have thought that fixing a building that literally does nothing would be a priority.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nielsm posted:

?

The grain and cotton farms don't put buildings on the field. The vegetable farm will put greenhouses on the field, which makes some sense but would probably make more sense if there were more of them placed more orderly. The livestock farm puts various barns and similar on the field, which also makes sense for livestock, but could maybe also be more orderly.
The bigger problem I think is the ground texture. Livestock doesn't graze on a grain field, they graze on grassy plains. Vegetable and cotton fields don't look like grain fields. And fields look different throughout the year.

mixing buildings and fields just doesn't really work at all. livestock farms should have maybe a fraction of the buildings they currently do and mixing greenhouses with crop fields just doesn't really make any sense at all, those should be two different kinds of zones.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tarnop posted:

That's how they choose if they'll drive/walk/bus/etc, but the vehicles take simple routes.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Skyl3lazer posted:

That's how they choose if they'll drive/walk/bus/etc, but the vehicles take simple routes.

CO claimed it would be better and that cims would factor in road throughput and traffic

quote:

In Cities: Skylines pathfinding was proximity-based, meaning agents would calculate their destinations or order services by straight line distance without taking the existing road network into account. In the case of a fire, this could mean the fire truck responding would come from the closest station even if it had a longer route because of how the roads connected it to the destination. Longer response times could in turn mean the fire truck would not make it in time to stop the fire from spreading or save the building from collapse. Agents would take the fastest route to their destination and stick to it, patiently sitting in a traffic jam if one occurred, only changing their route if the road network was modified in ways causing their original path to no longer be viable.

In Cities: Skylines II agents choose a route based on a pathfinding cost. This cost is calculated using multiple factors such as the city’s road network, traveling time, travel cost, agent preferences, and more which we will cover in more detail below. Furthermore, agents will adjust their route based on events along the way. They may change lanes to avoid a car accident or a stopped service vehicle or make room for a vehicle responding to an emergency.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

No one in there probably knows how to use weight/friction in path finding algorithm’s connections.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Nitrousoxide posted:

You know, if they had just billed this as "early access" instead of pretending it was a finished release it would have undermined a lot of the anger about its state.

I guess the suits thought that might have undercut some profits this quarter or something?

Harder to justify DLC for a game in Early Access

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Early Access games usually don't sell for $60 either

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tarnop posted:

CO claimed it would be better and that cims would factor in road throughput and traffic

Oh, well, this 100% doesn't happen

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Eric the Mauve posted:

Early Access games usually don't sell for $60 either

$50, but the point stands

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Skyl3lazer posted:

Oh, well, this 100% doesn't happen

Yeah, many of the dev diaries are speculative fiction

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I ended up putting a bunch of bus lanes everywhere, not just for buses, but apparently emergency vehicles use them? I haven't caught it happening yet, though. I still wish there was a give way for them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bus lanes are near-useless since they get used as regular turning lanes anyway.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

nielsm posted:

Bus lanes are near-useless since they get used as regular turning lanes anyway.

there also seems to be a bug (or deliberate "drivers breaking the law" mechanic) where long stretches of bus lane will cause traffic to inexplicably weave between the regular traffic lane and the bus lane at network nodes

for an example, add a bus lane to the long two lane suspension bridge on the Barrier Island map. it's better for busses than getting stuck in traffic 100% of the time but not by much

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

corona familiar posted:

there also seems to be a bug (or deliberate "drivers breaking the law" mechanic) where long stretches of bus lane will cause traffic to inexplicably weave between the regular traffic lane and the bus lane at network nodes

for an example, add a bus lane to the long two lane suspension bridge on the Barrier Island map. it's better for busses than getting stuck in traffic 100% of the time but not by much

Same map and same effect.

If the drivers are gonna be assholes at least wait to merge back in AFTER you've passed everyone. Not like there's traffic cops in this game, just disapproving stares from your god-mayor in the sky. :colbert:

Though money is much easier to make in this game, I could theoretically make a bus-only bridge. Have a separated bus network just for funsies. (spoiler: i haven't bothered to start my elevated tram network ive just been adding more lanes)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I get that vehicles can go a bit off road in accidents but, the one in the top right went nearly 900 meters from the highway, even crossing a river???

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I wouldn’t be so scared of using two one-way highways if there was a tool that let me draw both equally distant, using same angles/curves. Does CS2 have that?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There’s a “make parallel roads” toggle in the road builder, yeah.

Edit: for clarity, it doesn’t make a road parallel to an existing road, it lets you create two parallel roads with a separation you specify.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 15, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

There’s a “make parallel roads” toggle in the road builder, yeah.

Dang, probably 2 dozen hours of playing and I didn’t think to check for it because I so readily assumed it wouldn’t. Thanks.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

corona familiar posted:

Road laws are currently suggestions, yeah. I've had someone u-turn over a median to then take an illegal turn, on a street that was pedestrian-only to begin with, directly in front of a police car to boot.
Why they didn't take the legal turn when they were traveling the right direction is what puzzles me the most, are there a few bits of dynamic pathing that DO work or does the pathing algorithm just pre-queue dumb poo poo at a fixed rate?

There's also the thought experiment of making a community that's only connected to the highway net by pedestrian streets and providing mass transit to the industrial hub that in turn is connected to an entirely separate road system. They'll still flood in in cars that can't legally take them anywhere and can't even illegally take them anywhere unless they're going home-south external connection-(?)-north external connection-work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Jyrraeth posted:

I ended up putting a bunch of bus lanes everywhere, not just for buses, but apparently emergency vehicles use them? I haven't caught it happening yet, though. I still wish there was a give way for them.

I watched dump trucks use them last night. Seen a few emergency vehicles use them to. Also if traffic is bad enough, regular cars will too.