Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

I have some friends who moved to the northwest of France to a city with <250k population with two fully-automated underground Metro lines averaging 115k pax/d because it’s so drat good.

Meanwhile I have just become able to get on a bus (if one shows up) by purchasing a digital ticket on my phone and showing my phone to the bus driver, which will take me to my general destinations in about three times the length of a normal drive or about the same as a walk.

Fake rear end transit in this fake rear end country.

Imagine claiming Halifax as the world-class Maritime city and getting your lunch ate on tap-to-pay transit by loving Fredericton, New Brunswick.

ElehemEare has issued a correction as of 19:37 on Nov 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ElehemEare posted:

the world-class Maritime city

imagine

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
If I lived in a maritime city I would simply purchase a boat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

If I lived in a maritime city I would simply purchase a boat.

Halifax is really more just a big hill

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Hillifax

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ElehemEare posted:

I have some friends who moved to the northwest of France to a city with <250k population with two fully-automated underground Metro lines averaging 115k pax/d because it’s so drat good.

Meanwhile I have just become able to get on a bus (if one shows up) by purchasing a digital ticket on my phone and showing my phone to the bus driver, which will take me to my general destinations in about three times the length of a normal drive or about the same as a walk.

Fake rear end transit in this fake rear end country.

Imagine claiming Halifax as the world-class Maritime city and getting your lunch ate on tap-to-pay transit by loving Fredericton, New Brunswick.

Don't forget they finally managed to hire barely enough drivers in order to restore service the like dozen lines they had to cut and/or straight up cancel last winter lol

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

ZShakespeare posted:

I never forgot. I still bang a pot every night at 7.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fidelitious posted:

I have wondered who actually rides VIA Rail as like...a method of transport.
For medium-long distances it is worse than a plane in every conceivable way. For short distances it's more expensive than a bus and possibly also slower with the unreliability of access to the rail. If you happen to own a car it's certainly no comparison there.

So that leaves more remote communities with no bus or plane access but that have a rail line. I suppose that's a thing?

Obviously a large portion of their business is the tourists slow-rolling to look at scenery and whatnot but someone somewhere is using rail as transport.

I always take it between Kingston-Ottawa-Toronto for work because my meetings are always downtown in the respective cities, I can bill business class with the (significant) corporate discount, there’s no practical way to fly back to Kingston, and it’s relaxing and I can read on the train.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Frosted Flake posted:

I always take it between Kingston-Ottawa-Toronto for work because my meetings are always downtown in the respective cities, I can bill business class with the (significant) corporate discount, there’s no practical way to fly back to Kingston, and it’s relaxing and I can read on the train.

This makes sense. The only time I took the train was on the Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle because I could bill it to work.

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

also hitting the pot nightly

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

It really look like the stars have to align for VIA Rail to be a good option.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

supersnowman posted:

Calgary doesn’t even have a via terminal, so if I want to take the train, the stars need to align and then I have to drive to Edmonton.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

supersnowman posted:

Yeah with so few connections left and the price/length of trips taking VIA is really hard to justify. I have family I can reach by rail for only $30 so it's good for me since I don't drive but even then the train only runs three days a week lol. Used to be a lot of people that commuted by rail from Windsor or Truro to Hali every day for work but oh well

Demon_Corsair posted:

Calgary doesn’t even have a via terminal, so if I want to take the train, the stars need to align and then I have to drive to Edmonton.

Aren't they (they being?? The province maybe??) building a rail line between Edmonton and Calgary? Swear I read that somewhere

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Demon_Corsair posted:

you take the rocky mountaineer to kamloops then transfer to via obv

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I would love to be able to take a train or even a bus to visit other cities.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
simply find the best city and move there, save yourself a lot of trouble, imo

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

infernal machines posted:

I already live in Sarnia

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, i can see your avatar

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i was at a pub last night and i overheard someone at the next table whisper to his friends "calgary is the best city in the world, it's unreal how much better it is than everywhere else"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's no accounting for taste

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DaysBefore posted:

Aren't they (they being?? The province maybe??) building a rail line between Edmonton and Calgary? Swear I read that somewhere

Every government has promised to "look at" doing a high speed rail line between Calgary and Edmonton, and then always concludes that it is unprofitable unless we had 100x as many people in the province.

Briefly, the cons also experimented with providing some useless crown land to do a hyperloop experiment from an exceptionally specious team, for which they patted themselves on the back as being futuristic and forward-looking.

The group is looking for more money now, with the promise that they can also stop in Red Deer, maybe if they can find some more local investors that are super nice and the province frees up more money for the assuredly anti-woke Elon Musk bullet train.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Every government has promised to "look at" doing a high speed rail line between Calgary and Edmonton, and then always concludes that it is unprofitable unless we had 100x as many people in the province.

Briefly, the cons also experimented with providing some useless crown land to do a hyperloop experiment from an exceptionally specious team, for which they patted themselves on the back as being futuristic and forward-looking.

in any other country with the level of manufacturing and tech we have and based on the tech we have getting paid for a project like this would be called fraud

like this seems like paying someone to make lead into gold

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Nov 14, 2023

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Isentropy posted:

in any other country with the level of manufacturing and tech we have and based on the tech we have getting paid for a project like this would be called fraud

My favourite part is that they haven't been consistent with the speed of the loop. They've promised anything from 450 km/h to 1000 km/h for the magic hyperloop. I'm sure the province will try to wipe their hands of it soon. The number of passengers in each "bullet" has also been in flux. The current promise is 54. They're also trying to fleece local investors in rural France, Thailand, and Windsor.

Meanwhile the media reprints their press releases verbatim: https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2021/06/25/hyperloop-alberta-feasibility-study/

Remember this is the same province that thinks solar panels with grid batteries are farm-destroying experimental technology. It's absolutely the same playbook that keeps dismantling California rail: why do rail when you could wait a little bit to do future rail? Why do renewable energy when you could wait a little bit and do magical hydrogen?

Seat Safety Switch has issued a correction as of 19:01 on Nov 14, 2023

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

CLAM DOWN posted:

i was at a pub last night and i overheard someone at the next table whisper to his friends "calgary is the best city in the world, it's unreal how much better it is than everywhere else"

That's why they have to run ads to recruit people to move there.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Move here or we turn off your lights at Christmas

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

not even the best city in Alberta...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CLAM DOWN posted:

lmfao

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I love our anti-public-monopoly rent-seeking country. No trains for you.

:canada:

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Virtual Russian posted:

not even the best city in Alberta...

tbh it's a mark against Alberta that it's not the worst city there rather than a point in favor of Calgary

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hubbert posted:

I love our anti-public-monopoly rent-seeking country. No trains for you.

:canada:

We need to go back to our roots and have one of the railways bribe our drunk, racist, Prime Minister to lay down thousands of km of tracks.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

We need to go back to our roots and have one of the railways bribe our drunk, racist, Prime Minister to lay down thousands of km of tracks.

Good thing we still have an immigrant underclass to build it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a part of our heritage

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Didn't Elon just come right out and say a few years ago that the whole hyper-loop concept was just nonsense with the intention of muddying the waters and de-railing plans for building HSR links based on proven technology?
It was all just guff to prevent development of public transport since he hates that.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I thought it was basically his own personal tunnel so he didn't have to sit in traffic anymore

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol.

(Precambrian Industrial Manufacturing)

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
The edmonton to Calgary train will never ever be built, because it would not make an immediate return for the private investors.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

That the prairie cities aren't all connected by highspeed rail is insane. It is as close to the ideal scenario for HSR, I cannot think of geography more suited to it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it could also, notably, be used to leave the prairies, an exciting value proposition for all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lethbridge to Kenora in 4 hours or your money back.