Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Looks like YouTube is completely dead for me now in Firefox. I'm not banned - I can view videos on my phone without logging out, and mousing over a thumbnail still shows the slideshow - but all videos now have a run time of 0:00 in the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Firefox nightly seems to glitch out for me as well. Luckily the piped.video app on Android seems to work perfectly and you don't have to patch it like revanced.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
the last good browser was netscape pre-1999

edit: behold at what we have forgotten

DrPossum fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 14, 2023

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Think I've been using Firefox since ~2005 too and have generally enjoyed my time with it with no real complaints. I tried Chrome several years ago and gasped when I saw how many resources it hogged. Never used it again.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Jedit posted:

Looks like YouTube is completely dead for me now in Firefox. I'm not banned - I can view videos on my phone without logging out, and mousing over a thumbnail still shows the slideshow - but all videos now have a run time of 0:00 in the player.

This happened to me first when I used the element picker in uBlock to remove the dumb popup, and then again when I used a tampermonkey script to basically do the same thing and block all in-window popups on YouTube. In my case it wanted me to click something I could no longer see to start the video, i.e. the warning that I was on thin ice and needed to start watching ads again (lol).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

incoherent light posted:

This happened to me first when I used the element picker in uBlock to remove the dumb popup, and then again when I used a tampermonkey script to basically do the same thing and block all in-window popups on YouTube. In my case it wanted me to click something I could no longer see to start the video, i.e. the warning that I was on thin ice and needed to start watching ads again (lol).

Is there a way to get round that?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

Clear out your custom filters in AdBlock pertaining to YouTube, if you have any. That's where manually hidden elements go.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You can't even temporarily turn off ublockorigin and put up with the ads on youtube; You literally can't have it installed as an extension. gently caress you chrome, gently caress you google, gently caress you youtube, I hope dailymotion buries you

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Jedit posted:

I gave up on watching YouTube on Chrome and installed Brave browser. I was able to log in and watch YouTube without ads and without adding anything to the browser but I didn't want to suggest it because I'm pretty sure I read that didn't work for others. I am still blocked from watching videos on Chrome

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

You can't even temporarily turn off ublockorigin and put up with the ads on youtube; You literally can't have it installed as an extension. gently caress you chrome, gently caress you google, gently caress you youtube, I hope dailymotion buries you

gosh if only there were other browsers you could use

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

gosh if only there were other browsers you could use

shut the gently caress up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

shut the gently caress up

Can't hear you, watching videos on YouTube.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I just want to laugh at everybody who told me that ad blockers are 100% install once and never think about it again :laugh:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
And I'm still saying why the hell would you not have one that works for all of the internet except YouTube?

I really don't see how you can bear with an ad-filled internet but on the other hand it's good that someone's looking at the ads so they're still convinced it's worthwhile, and I don't have to.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

The General posted:

I just want to laugh at everybody who told me that ad blockers are 100% install once and never think about it again :laugh:

They are 99% of the time ya bootlicker

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm not a bootlicker :colbert: I'm not saying you shouldn't use them, or that you're stealing money from starving CEOs.

I just can't be assed to wrestle with extensions and hop browsers every other week.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think this is the first time I've had to think about my ad blocker in ~5 years, and (for me) it's stopped being a problem again already.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

The General posted:

I'm not a bootlicker :colbert: I'm not saying you shouldn't use them, or that you're stealing money from starving CEOs.

I just can't be assed to wrestle with extensions and hop browsers every other week.

good to know that you can be coerced by the slighted inconvenience, then

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
You'll waste more of your time watching ads in like an hour on YouTube than it would take you to switch to Firefox and import your Chrome settings

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The General posted:

Can't be assed to click a couple things if you're in the bad batch of testing, but can be assed to sit through ads a hundred times a day. Guess you gotta get your laughs in at some point since you don't get much show time.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

if i hadn't been using adblockers for the past 15 years i don't know if i would watch anywhere near as much youtube as i have

cos those 30-60 seconds of ads i've occasionally been seeing lately is more than enough for me to stop and think wait, maybe there's something better to do than watch this video

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I guess I'm kind of inbetween. I tolerate ads on my phone because the app is simply too convenient but I would never use the general internet on my computer without an adblocker and that includes YouTube. Even without this new war on adblockers, I would consider buying the no-adds subscription for YouTube if it was more reasonably priced. Like, $8-$10 or something.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

roomtone posted:

if i hadn't been using adblockers for the past 15 years i don't know if i would watch anywhere near as much youtube as i have

cos those 30-60 seconds of ads i've occasionally been seeing lately is more than enough for me to stop and think wait, maybe there's something better to do than watch this video

I seem to have avoided everything so far (thanks Firefox!), but if end up being unable to avoid the ads i can do other things as well. :shrug:

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Magnetic North posted:

I guess I'm kind of inbetween. I tolerate ads on my phone because the app is simply too convenient but I would never use the general internet on my computer without an adblocker and that includes YouTube. Even without this new war on adblockers, I would consider buying the no-adds subscription for YouTube if it was more reasonably priced. Like, $8-$10 or something.

Some poster here had one weird trick where he signed up with his VPN set to Argentina and paid $2/mo. Allegedly Sundar Pichai hates him.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The General posted:

An enormous, targeted campaign by one of the biggest technology companies on the planet is proving to be an occasional, minor inconvenience to a few people

That’s better “install once and never think about again” performance than most other software

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Internet Old One posted:

Some poster here had one weird trick where he signed up with his VPN set to Argentina and paid $2/mo. Allegedly Sundar Pichai hates him.
It’s me. It works great. Zero maintenance. They just raised prices in Argentina so it’s like $3 or $4 now. But if they elect that insane follower of Austrian economics it’ll probably get cheap again.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I'm still having 0 problems with this and its either because:

1) I'm in Canada
2) I also have a chromecast which I didn't pihole and so every now and again if I queue something to the TV directly I do actually see ads, even though all my PC browsers have adblock

Can anyone confirm either theory

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm running ublock and malwarebytes on chrome and encountering zero problems.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm running ublock and malwarebytes on chrome and encountering zero problems.

I'm getting told I can't watch vids and some testing is showing it's just from malwarebytes, and like no I'm not going to turn off browser guard, sorry youtube but I don't trust the rest of the internet.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

The ads are fine. I get to keep up with the social discourse. And if it's a repeat I mute the sound and meditate a little bit. It's been mostly beneficial for me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GolfHole posted:

I'm still having 0 problems with this and its either because:

1) I'm in Canada
2) I also have a chromecast which I didn't pihole and so every now and again if I queue something to the TV directly I do actually see ads, even though all my PC browsers have adblock

Can anyone confirm either theory

Neither, they are only targeting dastardly villains so far. Anyone you see itt complaining about 3 strikes or ads sneaking through have been sentenced to advertising. Don't feel too bad, most likely they got sentenced for tying someone to railroad tracks, or trying to rob a train, or other train based crimes.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i knew it

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Just posting to say I have had 0 issues with Firefox using uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lpzie posted:

The ads are fine. I get to keep up with the social discourse. And if it's a repeat I mute the sound and meditate a little bit. It's been mostly beneficial for me.

Is it cool to say "Ad Cuck"?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Zero VGS posted:

Is it cool to say "Ad Cuck"?

A cuck is at least gratified on their own terms. Watching ads has zero gratification.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I'm gratified when I see a new novel ad. They bring awareness to new products and sometimes it's something I need. So I appreciate that. On a repeat though I'm fine mentally tuning out and remaining calm. I think it makes me a better person in the long run.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

We're not, though, because it still isn't happening for everybody. We're nearing the full deployment stage.

Also, Chrome is IE now.

Whatever web browser dominates the market will inevitably become IE. Ubiquity breeds this poo poo. We're too big to fail! Let's ruin everything and hope nobody notices!

Five years ago, my web dev partner told me in no uncertain terms to switch from Chrome to Edge. It was painless and amazing. It was Chrome without being a resource hog. It was Chromium with features. It was everything Chrome used to be.

But now Edge is being fed into the AI woodchipper because whoever decided MS's next step was open source has been sacked and now MS's next step is AI. So, Chromium, Chrome, and Edge ALL suck now.

So the cool kids will switch to Firefox, and maybe others will follow over the next ten years, but Firefox was what it is now before, and once it got that marketshare, it became what Chrome is now.

We are loving doomed to an eternity of switching to lower-tier services and products that gain marketshare by being less bad than everything else only to become the thing that drove users to switch to them to begin with right up until that option is ripped from our hands too.

Remember when you could pay for a game once that you then owned and could play unchanged forever?

Eventually you will lose the services altogether as energy becomes ever scarcer and more expensive as fossil fuel companies tap into more marginal sources and renewables keep bumping against the laws of physics. Everything is downstream of energy, and GDP "growth" is all credit to paper over the fact that we're becoming materially poorer. By the end of millennial lifetimes we will become poor in a way I don't think most of us can even imagine.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 14, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Woolie Wool posted:

Eventually you will lose the services altogether as energy becomes ever scarcer and more expensive as fossil fuel companies tap into more marginal sources and renewables keep bumping against the laws of physics. Everything is downstream of energy, and GDP "growth" is all credit to paper over the fact that we're becoming materially poorer. By the end of millennial lifetimes we will become poor in a way I don't think most of us can even imagine.

the post was about how internet browsers inevitably enshitten themselves, creating the space for something to come in and easily be a better alternative, and you go straight to the heat death of the universe

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'm getting told I can't watch vids and some testing is showing it's just from malwarebytes, and like no I'm not going to turn off browser guard, sorry youtube but I don't trust the rest of the internet.

Man, this youtube poo poo is god drat mysterious at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
youtube is going to hack my files