Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

i am a moron posted:

Everyone should be able to feel it in their bones, McCarthy getting removed was just the start of one of the most pathetic sagas in US government history. This is peak boomerism.

I for one am shocked that the thing that everyone expects to happen keeps happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Earlier in Monday’s proceedings, an FBI agent testified that DePape searched terms like “Nancy Pelosi Family,” “Pelosi pig blood,” and “Nancy Pelosi’s home,” in the days leading up to the attack. He also bought several items on Amazon, including two unicorn costumes.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Wait, is decorum good or bad.

Yes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

Dispatches from Thunderdome

https://twitter.com/FarnoushAmiri/status/1724514811164099015

I feel like some of this is them all realizing they're about to fall into the eternal abyss of chaos after the HFC reneged on their clean CR deal they made with Johnson.

honestly what weirds me out is these freaks are so toxic and insecure they can't just say "yeah sorry, it was an accident" it has to be some hardcore 80s movie bravado poo poo. like I get it, i am loving edgy poster when i get mad and poo poo but like this shits just loving sad. we are gonna get a fight on the floor or on film between some of these clowns.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yiggy posted:

Kinda funny. Unless something changed since I left Texas their legislators aren’t full time employees as-it-were. The session is short, and the income is meager. You have independent wealth or another job as far as I understood it. It’s basically a “gently caress this, I’m mostly out, but I’ll sort of keep one toe in the politics pool” incase the fever breaks in a few years.

That would probably be news to Texas state legislators who have been in continuous session since January, minus 2 months in the summer. The Texas House this very day is about to spend 12-16 hours debating a bill that’s intended to reverse Arizona v US

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Earlier in Monday’s proceedings, an FBI agent testified that DePape searched terms like “Nancy Pelosi Family,” “Pelosi pig blood,” and “Nancy Pelosi’s home,” in the days leading up to the attack. He also bought several items on Amazon, including two unicorn costumes.

Look, He wanted to dress up like Twilight sparkle when he did it but the costume wouldnt fit. so he skiped that part.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He wanted to dump the pig blood on Nancy Pelosi during her inauguration as speaker, so she would have a psychotic break and kill all of Congress with her pyrokinetic powers

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

haveblue posted:

He wanted to dump the pig blood on Nancy Pelosi during her inauguration as speaker, so she would have a psychotic break and kill all of Congress with her pyrokinetic powers

this guy is actually Erebus and wants to make nancy accend to her her place in the panthion of the chaos god of decorum and unlesh the neverborn upon DC.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this guy is actually Erebus and wants to make nancy accend to her her place in the panthion of the chaos god of decorum and unlesh the neverborn upon DC.

Well he should've grabbed the Anathame then instead of a hammer :v:

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honestly what weirds me out is these freaks are so toxic and insecure they can't just say "yeah sorry, it was an accident" it has to be some hardcore 80s movie bravado poo poo. like I get it, i am loving edgy poster when i get mad and poo poo but like this shits just loving sad. we are gonna get a fight on the floor or on film between some of these clowns.

There was that almost-scuffle during the McCarthy speaker vote, where one dude held back the other from clobbering Gaetz. That was pretty iconic, and a foreshadowing moment.

The moment: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/01/07/mccarthy-gaetz-rogers-speaker/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

Well he should've grabbed the Anathame then instead of a hammer :v:

lol. the home depot hammers were actually used to kill christ and also trotsky somehow.

VorpalBunny posted:

There was that almost-scuffle during the McCarthy speaker vote, where one dude held back the other from clobbering Gaetz. That was pretty iconic, and a foreshadowing moment.

The moment: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/01/07/mccarthy-gaetz-rogers-speaker/

yeah we are headed toward an actual brawl.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

zoux posted:

Dispatches from Thunderdome

https://twitter.com/FarnoushAmiri/status/1724514811164099015

I feel like some of this is them all realizing they're about to fall into the eternal abyss of chaos after the HFC reneged on their clean CR deal they made with Johnson.

Hmmm where do I remember similar, impotent posturing. Hmmmm. HMMMM.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/976765417908776963

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Scags McDouglas posted:

Hmmm where do I remember similar, impotent posturing. Hmmmm. HMMMM.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/976765417908776963

projection is a hell of a thing.

anyway.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1724536617547780605

GOP coolzone is about to go critical.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Democrats gently herding the GOP down the slippery bowling lane littered with rakes.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

projection is a hell of a thing.

anyway.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1724536617547780605

GOP coolzone is about to go critical.

Was it in question that house Dems would go for this? I mean, why wouldn’t they pass a clean CR?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

Was it in question that house Dems would go for this? I mean, why wouldn’t they pass a clean CR?

Not if it was clean, the question now how long does Johnson last.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ogmius815 posted:

The only question was if the 2 different deadlines it would produce would scare them off or not. The current two step looks to be about as much loving with poo poo that keeps the Democrats from sitting on the sidelines and making the Republicans pass a CR on their own though.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Fundamentally it pushes back the government shutdown into an election year and gives the GOP more time to stew in their crazy.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
i guess Dems have stopped caring about ukraine lol

oh well

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

i guess Dems have stopped caring about ukraine lol

oh well

apperently israel too. they can have those fights in january.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
Sanders had to stop a fight between the republican senator Mullin from OK, and Sean O'Brian, pres of International Brotherhood of Teamsters. During a hearing.

Honestly pretty disappointing behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl-2KTpXShY

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dull Fork posted:

Sanders had to stop a fight between the republican senator Mullin from OK, and Sean O'Brian, pres of International Brotherhood of Teamsters. During a hearing.

Honestly pretty disappointing behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl-2KTpXShY

toxic masculity gun culture bullshit is such sad crap.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
It seems to me that the whole confrontation would have petered out on its own if Bernie just let them keep going. The only reason you would try to start a fight in the middle of a committee meeting was if you hoped someone would break it up.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Crass Casualty posted:

It seems to me that the whole confrontation would have petered out on its own if Bernie just let them keep going. The only reason you would try to start a fight in the middle of a committee meeting was if you hoped someone would break it up.

Not that I think he needs it, but Bernie just comes across as a hero here. "You are a United States senator!" has been the sub-headline in all these news stories about it. It really puts this dumb machismo in perspective.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

May we all have a salty old man from Brooklyn to break us up when we get rowdy.

https://twitter.com/nicholaswu12/status/1724567529647927417

Pat Fallon said he wanted to return to Texas to spend more time with his family, but changed his mind after his family said no lol

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
onion headlines are bleeding into reality

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
WSJ reports the CR has passed 336-95. Using Apple News so I don't have a link, sorry.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tayter Swift posted:

WSJ reports the CR has passed 336-95. Using Apple News so I don't have a link, sorry.

CNN reporting it as well. Live feed, no direct link.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VorpalBunny posted:

Not that I think he needs it, but Bernie just comes across as a hero here. "You are a United States senator!" has been the sub-headline in all these news stories about it. It really puts this dumb machismo in perspective.

This. It also helps the “Dems are the only adults in the room” that’s been helping them in the past couple elections.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A bunch of prominent Democrats attended the 'Americans March for Israel' event today. Hakeem Jeffrees, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, and John Fetterman among others.

One of the speakers was the virulent anti-Semite pastor John Hagee, who has previously said that the Holocaust was the Jews' own fault, among other awful things. He's one of those 'End Times' Evangelicals who believes that Israel has to exist and then be destroyed for Jesus to return to Earth.

I can't tell you how disturbing it is that these prominent Dems are cool being around a noted anti-Semite but it's fine because he's pro-Israel (for dubious reasons at best).

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1724522494432886975?s=20

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Some DNC social media person created a montage of the GOP's chaotic day:
https://twitter.com/BidenHQ/status/1724589066048417858
Sound on is crucial for full effect, excellent choice of soundtrack.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

toxic masculity gun culture bullshit is such sad crap.

Mullin cowering in fear on J6 was the one genuine expression of emotion that man's had in his life.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So, more Dems voted for the budget continuance than republican. 202 dems vs 140 something republicans. And Mike Johnson used a mechanism to get around republican obstructionism to bring the vote to the floor. I wonder how long before he gets fired? (he won't, even the crazies realize the house speaker debacle was awful for them)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cimber posted:

So, more Dems voted for the budget continuance than republican. 202 dems vs 140 something republicans. And Mike Johnson used a mechanism to get around republican obstructionism to bring the vote to the floor. I wonder how long before he gets fired? (he won't, even the crazies realize the house speaker debacle was awful for them)

Does it still only take one to call a removal vote?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

haveblue posted:

Does it still only take one to call a removal vote?

I want K-Mac and/or Santos to do it

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its because the GOP loving hate each other because the chuds and moral cowardice kept them from flushing trump and the foghorn bigotry down the toilet and now its been proven twice that abortion is loving poison pill for the GOP. now the freedom caucus wants a shutdown and they either get one or a clean CR is passed and johnson gets knifed and we see a whole new horror circus. i would not be shocked if internal polling looks as dire if not worse then bidens public polls because they all point to "trumps gonna win the primary and focus on himself and insane poo poo and thats not popular at all"

I wonder if the giant pile of "Biden is having troubles because (x)" articles I've seen lately are because the GOP/their handlers are looking at some truly dire internal polling and they're doing something, anything to manufacture consent.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Cimber posted:

The mechanism is "the speaker just calls it to a vote", the only mechanism that prevents bills from coming to the floor without the majority party approving of it is the Convictedpedophile Rule.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Alkydere posted:

I wonder if the giant pile of "Biden is having troubles because (x)" articles I've seen lately are because the GOP/their handlers are looking at some truly dire internal polling and they're doing something, anything to manufacture consent.

They usually don’t bother with this. That’s the whole GOP thing

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Alkydere posted:

They are almost certainly taking the senate back in 2024, so probably not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Alkydere posted:

Any internal polls probably look like the public polls. I think the right conspiracy for those articles is that the outlets are doing it to hedge against bias accusations when they report on the Trump trials.

(that and Biden really isn't doing great in the polls, it's just so early that they don't mean much and people like Nate Cohn are suggesting Trump will win in a way that makes no sense at all, based only on poll crosstabs a year in advance)