Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

DavidCameronsPig posted:

It'd be like if after the Manhattan project, the US Air Force used nuclear power to make the propellers on an airplane go round while someone opens the plane door and shoots at Hiroshima with a bow and arrow.

Ok but I bet we did try that, god knows the US military has done stupider stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

DavidCameronsPig posted:

The whole idea of starships even having weapons when they also have antimatter warp drives is kind of absurd. A war with the Romulans would involve the Romulans pointing an empty ship with a warp drive at Earth, and then earth shortly later becoming a second asteroid belt. The idea that objects powerful enough to fold the very fabric of existence in front of them just to make a short cut between two points also have little laser canons that go pew pew pew is batshit insane.

It'd be like if after the Manhattan project, the US Air Force used nuclear power to make the propellers on an airplane go round while someone opens the plane door and shoots at Hiroshima with a bow and arrow.

Sure but due to narrative contrivance, warp drives do not work that way

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Big Mac posted:

Ok but I bet we did try that, god knows the US military has done Marines have proposed and want stupider stuff

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

It also helped that before nu-Trek, Picard was an inspirational character that really, really didn't want to use weapons to disarm an situation and used diplomacy and intelligence to wrangle down the asshats that went violence first, and stared down the idiots who negotiated by screaming obscenities.

When TNG Picard lost his lid and told to power up the weapons and go red alert it really meant something.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

It's a shame to not see TAS represented in this.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Big Mac posted:

It's a shame to not see TAS represented in this.

TAS: Has cats

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

maybeadracula posted:

With at least one notable exception in Prodigy

Special case there because the Vau N'Akat were brainbroke assholes who split evenly between "We're better than the Federation, we don't need them." and "Eh, maybe we should join the Federation to help make them better". And then destroyed themselves over that dumbfuck argument.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Grey Cat posted:

Also, Kirk is a jerk.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grey Cat posted:

20 foot tall Spocks

Satan's a cool dude

Three armed guy

Everyone voiced by James Doohan and Nichelle Nichols

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DavidCameronsPig posted:

It'd be like if after that, they used nuclear power to make the turbines on a big ship (named Enterprise) go round and round while it launched planes and missiles and big guns.

(Also a photon torpedo is literally an antimatter bomb)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 14, 2023

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

20 foot tall Spocks

Satan's a cool dude

Three armed guy

and the esteemed HARCOURT FENTON MUDD

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Big Mac posted:

and the esteemed HARCOURT FENTON MUDD

"""In the sixth day of fleet day my true love gave to me...

Picard's Borg spunk

20 foot tall Spocks

Satan's a cool dude

Three armed guy

and the esteemed HARCOURT FENTON MUDD, wee \o/"""

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

MikeJF posted:

It'd be like if after that, they used nuclear power to make the turbines on a big ship (named Enterprise) go round and round while it launched planes and missiles and big guns.

It's very Federation that we have nuclear powered submarines, whose missions are to submerge and simply wait in case we need to do something truly awful to the world. Not because the Federation would do that, but since they can they don't have to

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Special case there because the Vau N'Akat were brainbroke assholes who split evenly between "We're better than the Federation, we don't need them." and "Eh, maybe we should join the Federation to help make them better". And then destroyed themselves over that dumbfuck argument.

I felt like they were the weakest part of Prodigy really. Like, yes I fully understand that this is exactly what happens and there's nothing unbelievable about it but I prefer the antagonists to have better motivations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mac posted:

Ok but I bet we did try that, god knows the US military has done stupider stuff

They did research nuclear powered bombers and start some prototyping, but there were major safety issues (way too easy to crash and even when they don't nuclear shielding is too heavy for a plane) and they never really panned out.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 14, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CainFortea posted:

But nothing that happens on screen really disagrees with the stated stance on use of force, especially that as laid out so well by alexandriao. At least as long as we're not counting bad actors, which seems fair since they're explicitly ignoring the rules.

We often see captains saying things like "target their weapon system" because they're trying to de-escalate once the shooting starts. We basically never see anyone just open fire without doing many rounds of talks.

"Starfleet is not a military organization" and "Starfleet serves the role of military sometimes" are not mutually exclusive. Your average starfleet officer isn't going to have some kind of internal debate about starfleet's identity as a military group. The fact that the LD season finale calls it out specifically by mariner is evidence of this.

Also:

Originally Starfleet did not act as a military, it was on Archer's recommendation that they start packing more firepower on their ships because of how crucial it was during first contact to pack enough of a punch to:
- protect yourself and some other aliens from shithead aliens
- get the other aliens to consider you not worth killing/difficult to kill
- disable them so they have to stand there while you talk about diplomacy

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 14, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

"""In the sixth day of fleet day my true love gave to me...

Picard's Borg spunk

20 foot tall Spocks

Satan's a cool dude

Three armed guy

and the esteemed HARCOURT FENTON MUDD, wee \o/"""

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85n9ye73DjE

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

This is art.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

DavidCameronsPig posted:

The whole idea of starships even having weapons when they also have antimatter warp drives is kind of absurd. A war with the Romulans would involve the Romulans pointing an empty ship with a warp drive at Earth, and then earth shortly later becoming a second asteroid belt. The idea that objects powerful enough to fold the very fabric of existence in front of them just to make a short cut between two points also have little laser canons that go pew pew pew is batshit insane.

there's some scifi story where some aliens invade earth like this

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

ChubbyChecker posted:

there's some scifi story where some aliens invade earth like this

The Road Not Taken by Harry Turtledove.

They invade with like, flintlock weapons or something.

E: its a short story, check it out.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Isn't that pretty much the entire idea of the deflector dish? To avert the near-FTL particles or diverting the items in the way when using warp? In that case, having a planetary deflector dish network that just throws that poo poo away, or deflects it, or dematerializes it before it hits as a part of planned defense is a trivial thing considering their technology. In one TNG episode the locals who attacked Enterprise couldn't even breach their navigational shielding, meaning that system is up all the time.

In B5 the use of mass drivers to do planetary bombardments was a huge taboo, I bet it also would be in Star Trek.

naem
May 29, 2011

Big Mac posted:

It's very Federation that we have nuclear powered submarines, whose missions are to submerge and simply wait in case we need to do something truly awful to the world. Not because the Federation would do that, but since they can they don't have to

don’t we also have fake aka not nuclear subs that drive around getting attention on purpose to make our nuke subs hide-ier

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

CainFortea posted:

No. We can not.

Go home jj you're drunk.

My bad, I didn't add nearly enough lens flare.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Grey Cat posted:

i should, it's been on my to-read lists for years

i've tried to read one turtledove earlier, it was some of his alt-hists, and it sucked so much that i threw it in the garbage

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

I can still see what’s happening and I don’t feel nauseous. 0/10 see me after class

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

ChubbyChecker posted:

i should, it's been on my to-read lists for years

i've tried to read one turtledove earlier, it was some of his alt-hists, and it sucked so much that i threw it in the garbage

It's the only one of his things I've read, and only because I see it get brought up from time to time, so I can't speak for the other works.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We had this conversation a few pages ago, but objects at warp do not carry the kinetic energy of a hypothetical object actually moving at multiple times light speed. The field will just fail as it intersects an object too large to enter the field. You're better off attacking a planet by throwing stuff at it at high impulse than you are warp ramming it. (Bonus points if said stuff is full of antimatter)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 14, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

In B5 the use of mass drivers to do planetary bombardments was a huge taboo, I bet it also would be in Star Trek.

Yeah, and that would be one of the first things any decently interplanetary, let alone interstellar, civilization would think of in terms of aggression against their neighbors. Got engines strong enough to move between planets? Got big rocks floating around in the same system? A + B = problem solved.

Showing up in an armed ship (especially one with no gunports, so you can see how armed it is right out in the open) should be interpreted as an act of good faith. The guys who show up with no weapons are the suspicious ones, their ships are probably rigged for hauling.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

McSpanky posted:

The guys who show up with no weapons are the suspicious ones, their ships are probably rigged for hauling.

Turns out the Cerritos is banned in half the galaxy by treaty.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Grey Cat posted:

Needs more Simon Pegg

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Grey Cat posted:

I've heard this story referenced a couple times on here, so I finally just got around to reading it: https://www.eyeofmidas.com/scifi/Turtledove_RoadNotTaken.pdf

To anyone who hasn't read it yet, give it a shot. Its a pretty short read and an amusing concept to consider.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Needs more Simon Pegg

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I've heard this story referenced a couple times on here, so I finally just got around to reading it: https://www.eyeofmidas.com/scifi/Turtledove_RoadNotTaken.pdf

To anyone who hasn't read it yet, give it a shot. Its a pretty short read and an amusing concept to consider.

It's actually a prequel, the original story takes place during the human-dominated empire of the galaxy when oh gently caress we got complacent and it turns out we weren't the only ones who'd gone down the road not taken.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

I've given 'er all she's got cap'n.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

MikeJF posted:

In addition to this point, the existence of nukes hasn't made other types of warfare obsolete, because it turns out when you have the ability to kill everything you don't want to use it all the time, or indeed ever. Spaceships with phasers and torpedos mean you have options other than instantly escalating to doomsday.

DrSunshine posted:

I haven't watched Discovery, but can we take a moment to appreciate some of the concepts they did for the 32nd Century Federation?
I get the impression they're disliked by the fandom, but I gotta say that I really like the Nog/Eisenberg-class in particular:

Star Trek ships designed for the "future" (beyond the timeframe of the show in question) are pretty fun because they let the designers go nuts. Also a fan of Voyager's Relativity for the same reason:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's a TOS hand phaser in space.

The second one is just a ship from a completely different franchise with a more boring visual identity

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think the Eisenberg is one of the better liked 32nd century designs. You can kinda see how a saucer and hull evolved to that while still being something very novel.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

it feels like there should be more ships named after the minor planet that was disassembled to make it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, I like the Earth Defense ship/station from Disco. It looks weird in a good way, better than when they try to take a regular ship but delete the pylons.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 15, 2023