Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How do we feel about shaders? I spent far too much time thumbing through shaders for all my cores in retroarch last night and can't decide if I want to bother or not. I like and will probably keep the green gameboy one because it's fun and pretty drat accurate, the only other one I can think of possibly needing was a good one for GBA but I wasn't too pleased with the options. It was also 1AM which may have factored into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rinkles posted:

What are you playing?

score attacking kalikan

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Grassy Knowles posted:

score attacking kalikan

Oh, that does look neat as hell.

Actually, what are some other fun Pico 8 games to try that aren't Celeste (everyone always mention that one)?

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
I am after a horizontal retro console that does the following:

1) Supports up to Dreamcast emulation
2) Supports use bluetooth audio (airpods)
3) Supports docking or connection to a TV via HDMI
4) Supports a bluetooth controller to interface with it
5) WiFi connectivity
6) 3.5 inch screen or greater
7) 4:3 aspect ratio (I am mostly interested in doing PS1 / GBA emulation)

Does such a device exist in the under $150 price range? Or under $200?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

1024x768 posted:

5) WiFi connectivity

Sounds like a Retroid Pocket 2+ or 2s to me. The only one I'm not 100% sure on is bluetooth audio, but it definitely covers the rest.

EDIT: looks like it should. Also not to shill too hard but I've got an old 2+ I've been trying to find a good home in SA-Mart if you're interested in a cheap approach.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 15, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah the 2S is a slam dunk for those requirements.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saoshyant posted:

Actually, what are some other fun Pico 8 games to try that aren't Celeste (everyone always mention that one)?

PICO
HOT

is short, but impressive

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

explosivo posted:

How do we feel about shaders? I spent far too much time thumbing through shaders for all my cores in retroarch last night and can't decide if I want to bother or not. I like and will probably keep the green gameboy one because it's fun and pretty drat accurate, the only other one I can think of possibly needing was a good one for GBA but I wasn't too pleased with the options. It was also 1AM which may have factored into this.

Shaders are a personal preference. I use BRZ with GBA but I’m a heathen. One thing I do recommend is the image adjustment shader and play around with the game and brightness settings there. I up the gamma a bit and lower the brightness setting and it helps a ton with that washed out look a lot of GBA has.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CFox posted:

Shaders are a personal preference. I use BRZ with GBA but I’m a heathen. One thing I do recommend is the image adjustment shader and play around with the game and brightness settings there. I up the gamma a bit and lower the brightness setting and it helps a ton with that washed out look a lot of GBA has.

Oh that is a good shout I didn't realize there were separate brightness settings. I found a couple I liked but were either too washed out or dark so i will check that out.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

There are so many good ones, so I'll just call out a good creator: Pretty much everything Johan Peitz makes is worth checking out. He's more recently moved new games behind his Patreon (though in a "pay-per-game if you like it" style, not "pay per month blindly"), though most of these are free:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Saoshyant posted:

there are a few pico versions of games that are fun like
picohot (superhot), downward (downwell), pico night punkin (friday night funkin)

i know you say no celeste but there are a metric fuckton of modded celeste roms for different levels or playstyles

kitty love, steel surge revolution, bustin, pinballvania, doobies dog house

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Thank you all, that's a lot of variety in just a few suggestions. Kind of excited to finally explore that platform.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
I'm looking to get an old gamecube up and running as a surprise and i'm not sure the best way to go about it. I didn't see any gamecube/ Retro nintendo threads with search, but figured you all might know a bit about old hardware. Or is there a better thread for that kinda stuff I missed?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

harrygomm posted:

I'm looking to get an old gamecube up and running as a surprise and i'm not sure the best way to go about it. I didn't see any gamecube/ Retro nintendo threads with search, but figured you all might know a bit about old hardware. Or is there a better thread for that kinda stuff I missed?

There’s a whole retro games subforum that might have some resources, but there’s also a chance they’ll tell you to RGB mod it and hook it up to a 300 dollar japanese HDMI upscaler.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=278

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

harrygomm posted:

I refurb and sell gamecubes.
I have a cabinet full of them currently. I have a thread for it.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4009571

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

1024x768 posted:

5) WiFi connectivity

Will vouch for the 2S pretty much being exactly what you want. Android device, wifi/bluetooth, Micro HDMI output, 4:3 ratio 3.5 inch or so screen. Also has hall effect sticks and hall effect analog triggers.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

explosivo posted:

Oh that is a good shout I didn't realize there were separate brightness settings. I found a couple I liked but were either too washed out or dark so i will check that out.

I just noticed in your quote that my phone autocorrected. You’ll want to up the gamma and tone down the brightness.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

harrygomm posted:

Come check out the retrogames thread!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

otter posted:

Ooh that’s awesome!! Bookmarking the thread for later…

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
how relevant is the 3GB v 4GB memory difference of the Retroid Pocket 2S?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

how relevant is the 3GB v 4GB memory difference of the Retroid Pocket 2S?

For emulation, not relevant at all. It's mostly just for Android stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

njsykora posted:

For emulation, not relevant at all. It's mostly just for Android stuff.

and for android stuff?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Then really only relevant if you're looking to play Android games. So if for some reason you want to play Genshin Impact on your 4:3 handheld then you might want the 4gb. The extra internal storage is way more relevant just for the niceness of not having to bother with another microSD card.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm trying to trick myself into thinking I can afford to treat myself. Tacking on an extra $20 wouldn't make it easier.

But, hypothetically, what would people recommend: the 2S or the RG405M?

e:I guess I'm still interested in your opinions, but the RG405M would be out of my price range, because the Ali listing I was looking at wasn't legit.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 15, 2023

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I'm trying to trick myself into thinking I can afford to treat myself. Tacking on an extra $20 wouldn't make it easier.

But, hypothetically, what would people recommend: the 2S or the RG405M?

e:I guess I'm still interested in your opinions, but the RG405M would be out of my price range, because the Ali listing I was looking at wasn't legit.

Your timing is tragic because their 11/11 sale over the weekend put the 4gb/128gb model at $99 as well. I personally spent the extra $20 but it shouldn't be that much of an issue with what you're wanting to do if you stick to the 3gb/32gb model and grab an SD card while they're still cheap.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zebulon posted:

Your timing is tragic because their 11/11 sale over the weekend put the 4gb/128gb model at $99 as well. I personally spent the extra $20 but it shouldn't be that much of an issue with what you're wanting to do if you stick to the 3gb/32gb model and grab an SD card while they're still cheap.

That promo is still live, I think, it's just that I was gonna order through AliExpress because they do free shipping, and it works out even cheaper with their site wide promo.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Vegastar posted:

There’s a whole retro games subforum that might have some resources, but there’s also a chance they’ll tell you to RGB mod it and hook it up to a 300 dollar japanese HDMI upscaler.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=278

otter posted:

Manky posted:

Come check out the retrogames thread!

thank you all very much for the direction

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Rinkles posted:

That promo is still live, I think, it's just that I was gonna order through AliExpress because they do free shipping, and it works out even cheaper with their site wide promo.

Fair. One reason to order from Retroid's website is their warranty is great if you buy through them. However you want to get it though it's a great lil' handheld.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

A Retroid Flip with a second 4:3 screen might be the theoretical ideal.

wait, Ayaneo is actually doing this?

https://x.com/AYANEO__/status/1723031563565154307?s=20

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Saoshyant posted:

Crossgunr/DX/Infinite, they're all slightly different

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Rinkles posted:

wait, Ayaneo is actually doing this?

Yeah, I guess business must be booming for Ayaneo because apparently they're making all kinds of poo poo for whatever your portable device fetish is. Just don't expect them to be particularly cheap.

On that note, I got lucky and ordered a Ayaneo Pocket Air when they had exactly one still at the early bird pricing (from a cancellation I think), and it arrived today. So far the two games I've run for 3 minutes in the last good AetherSX2 seem to run really well, I haven't tried much else yet. The ayaneo software actually seems really good, its fan never kicks on automatically but has a fan button that toggles between quiet/loud/itstimetowakeuptheneighbors, physical home/back/apps buttons in the form of extra L, R, and a front button, and the integrated controls are seen as an xbox controller and seem to map automatically just fine. Unfortunately what it seems unable to handle is the Awful app, which crashes whenever I try to view a thread for some reason.

Edit: Awful app issue fixed by uninstalling "Android System WebView", thanks from the future Rooster Brooster! Hopefully doing that doesn't break other stuff.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 15, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
That mini pc styled to look like a VHS deck but with a small screen on the top is confusing me, and the tiny widescreen Mac is sending me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8My73_Kw94

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPhpVzbUNSE

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 16, 2023

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Flip DS seems kinda sick? The Nintendo lawyer ninjas must be gathering their chi

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
For MAME 2003 Plus or Final Burn Alpha 2012 where do you stick the audio samples folders in Garlic OS?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Also for whatever reason FBA is displaying games sideways and none of the options in Retroarch seem to be able to fix that

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My Anbernic Arc is on its way! Very excited about this one!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Having a bit of an issue with Daijisho and Dolphin where my GC games aren't launching through Daijisho with a "specified file does not exist" error, but I can launch them from Dolphin without an issue. I did some googling, made sure the default player was set properly (I tried all of them one by one, the one I'm using is the only one that gives this error and doesn't just do nothing) but couldn't turn up anything else. Anyone know what the issue is? I did find one forum post from a person on the same version of Dolphin saying they were having the same issue so maybe it's just a bug?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

explosivo posted:

Having a bit of an issue with Daijisho and Dolphin where my GC games aren't launching through Daijisho with a "specified file does not exist" error, but I can launch them from Dolphin without an issue. I did some googling, made sure the default player was set properly (I tried all of them one by one, the one I'm using is the only one that gives this error and doesn't just do nothing) but couldn't turn up anything else. Anyone know what the issue is? I did find one forum post from a person on the same version of Dolphin saying they were having the same issue so maybe it's just a bug?

I don't know exactly, but that error says it's looking for the rom file in the path "Roms/Nintendo - GameCube/document/primary:Roms/Nintendo - GameCube/Skies of Arcadia Legents (USA).rvz" which doesn't seem correct to me, that looks like it's doubling the path or something. I'd look at Daijisho's settings and the way it's sending the path to Dolphin.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

More Pocket colors:
https://www.analogue.co/editions/pocket-classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zzMisc posted:

I don't know exactly, but that error says it's looking for the rom file in the path "Roms/Nintendo - GameCube/document/primary:Roms/Nintendo - GameCube/Skies of Arcadia Legents (USA).rvz" which doesn't seem correct to me, that looks like it's doubling the path or something. I'd look at Daijisho's settings and the way it's sending the path to Dolphin.

I think you're right, it might have been a Dolphin thing because I found a similar post on reddit talking about how the default play store version is behind so I joined the beta on Play store which downloaded a newer branch and that fixed it so it's working now :toot: