Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Skippy McPants posted:

Edit: notably, he not only fills an opposing lane but also clears your lane, which is a big deal. You can do stuff like pop Hoods or Rocks and free up more space on your side even if you can't send anything else over.

Yep Debrii + Annihilus is gonna be hilarious. People underestimate the value of lane space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Sandwolf posted:

not tryna be a dick but I heard the exact above back in February. Unsupported deck archetypes who get one strong T5 suddenly become a lot more consistent.

TBF discard still wasn't very consistent post-MODOK. It was better, sure, but it wasn't until we saw a steady influx of new cards for the archetype starting with Daken that it really took off.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cattail Prophet posted:

TBF discard still wasn't very consistent post-MODOK. It was better, sure, but it wasn't until we saw a steady influx of new cards for the archetype starting with Daken that it really took off.

Yeah, Discord only started really moving in the past couple of months as the slow buffs to its support cards pushed it over into something pretty dang good.

The difference with Clutter is that it's already kinda okay, so adding a powerful finisher on an already stable foundation has a lot more potential. MODOK was a powerful finisher in a deck that didn't fire half the time.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

It's funny cause he has solid and insightful opinions on a lotta stuff, and also does a lot of cool brew decks, but he's so fussy.

that's funny because he along with all of the other marvel snap streamers shilled pretty hard for second dinner when the spotlights system was announced and surprise surprise, it's actually loving bad. even worse is he does it with an insufferable, condescending tone because he did MATH as his job before becoming a professional content creator so he REALLY KNOWS and apparently we're all already wrong and too stupid to realize it.

:edit: lol apparently he runs sub chat only as well. imagine, it must be dead rear end quiet in here, or a complete salt echo chamber. how frail can one really be...

separately, nth'ing what others have said: don't get the peach deadpool bundle unless you're swimming in gold as it's really not the best value. the big one coming up in dec. is much better.

Last King fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 14, 2023

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Also, you get ~3100 gold a month if you buy the season pass and do everything you can.

godogg
Dec 29, 2008
When Gladiator pulls a card and doesn't get to smash it, he curses in his silly space language. Huge fan of that

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

took 2 caches to get gladiator, didn't get mirage. nuts!

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Just hit 6k tokens. Mostly good on the most important things I need, so sort of thinking between Nico and Iron Lad -- Iron Lad slots into a lot but Nico is *everywhere* (and so maybe about to get a nerf?)

Any thoughts?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I like Jeff Hoogland he makes good videos on spotlights.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE posted:

Just hit 6k tokens. Mostly good on the most important things I need, so sort of thinking between Nico and Iron Lad -- Iron Lad slots into a lot but Nico is *everywhere* (and so maybe about to get a nerf?)

Any thoughts?

Between the two? Nico, no question. Even if they nerf her I think she'll stay a staple, and in addition to being powerful she's one of the most fun cards to actually play.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CJ posted:

I like Jeff Hoogland he makes good videos on spotlights.

Alright Jeff, nice try

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Burned two caches to try for Gladiator and ended up with the Mirage variant and Living Tribunal. Going to save my other keys for Annihilus

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Between the two? Nico, no question. Even if they nerf her I think she'll stay a staple, and in addition to being powerful she's one of the most fun cards to actually play.

yeah, lad is often good but you're generally just pointslamming him as part of your curve with some thought given to how to best highroll based on what's left in your deck, nico makes you think every turn she's in your hand and often makes you feel clever

really hoping they don't meaningfully nerf her even if she retains Jeff!-level-ubiquity because "one of the most fun cards to actually play" describes her perfectly

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

With the Shang nerf putting her out of his range, I'd really like to see a change to Chavez now.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE posted:

Any thoughts?

while nico has some rng to her, she's incredibly cheap, almost always useful, and her effects can't be replicated. she'll go into a bunch of decks, while iron lad does work for some decks, he's exp. and far less flexible imo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The fact that Annihilus kills anything he can't move is pretty huge. I don't think he's going to be meta defining but I expect to have a lot of fun with him

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/bootmanmstz/status/1724504196958048576

Unless you're sitting on like 70 caches why go hog wild for a card you're not excited about

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Gladiator in 1 let's go. I don't actually know if this card is worth a poo poo or not but I have some dumb ideas I want to try.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Red posted:

Unless you're sitting on like 70 caches why go hog wild for a card you're not excited about

He's a content creator. I don't know if he streams, but he's very active on YouTube.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Red posted:

Because, as evidenced in this thread, the only thing people love more than playing Marvel SNAP is bitching about Marvel SNAP.

I needed all three cards this week. Pulled all 3 without the 1000 token whammy. :woop: Now let's see if I can build up 2 more spotlight keys (3 total) to have a decent shot at Annihilus.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Red posted:

I'm sitting here wondering if Gladiator is worth Spotlighting for if everything else I can draw is skins. Is "probably not gonna be that good" the consensus?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

A little while ago (the last Ice Age by thread standards), someone said that Gladiator could be compared to the Hearthstone card Dirty Rat.

Now, SNAP isn't Hearthstone (thank gently caress), but Dirty Rat was definitely a card with a "why would I play that?" first impression that turned out to be disgustingly effective in certain situations.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't know how close a comparison that is. Dirty rat didn't trigger battle cries, where Gladiator does let the on reveal go off.

Plus pulling from hand vs pulling from deck is pretty different.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Don't take these early stats into account, because I don't think it's actually this good. Might need another discard effect to more reliably make Strong Guy go off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Umbra Dubium posted:

A little while ago (the last Ice Age by thread standards), someone said that Gladiator could be compared to the Hearthstone card Dirty Rat.

Now, SNAP isn't Hearthstone (thank gently caress), but Dirty Rat was definitely a card with a "why would I play that?" first impression that turned out to be disgustingly effective in certain situations.
It's nothing like dirty rat. Dirty rat was used almost exclusively to prevent game winning battlecries in your opponent's hand from going off. Gladiator fetches a card from your opponent's deck and makes sure the on reveal goes off for a card your opponent hasn't even drawn. They're extremely different even beyond the games' rulesets making the comparison impossible/pointless in the first place.

I think Gladiator is possibly the worst card in the game, and I don't understand what testing they did that made them think he should be 3/7 instead of 3/8.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 15, 2023

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Plus pulling from hand vs pulling from deck is pretty different.

Gladiator pulling from hand would've been pretty neat, even with On Reveal. Sakaar fucks me up.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
I wanted Gladiator cause I like the character

first cache, Spider-Man 2099 which I already have. wowza, thanks. next two are mirage and loki who I both don't have

might be able to get another key this week. gently caress me I'd be so annoyed if I'd already had loki or mirage

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I got mirage in 1 and I will be sitting very tight until something gives me some good reason to want gladiator

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Only seen gladiator once tonight, but he pulled my X-23, which I thanked them for.

godogg
Dec 29, 2008
Gladiator just pulled my Alioth and they took each other out

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Last King posted:

:edit: lol apparently he runs sub chat only as well. imagine, it must be dead rear end quiet in here, or a complete salt echo chamber. how frail can one really be...

Yea it’s an echo chamber because he’ll ban any dissenting opinion and actually went on a rant a week ago on how echo chambers are actually good

Gladiator seems like a 3/7 Titania in that you don’t actually want its ability 90% of the time. Just stats. So just play Maximus I guess

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

So far Glad has been really good at finding my Doom for me, I make sure to thank the opponent each time

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The vibe is about what I expected: decent stats with a chance to lose you in the game.

Still shocked they cut him from a 3/8 down to a 3/7 before release.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I just watched Harry drop a Forged Gladiator on Kamar-Taj and it pulled his opponent's Black Widow and Debrii lmao

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Pulled out Mr. Negative 😌

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Beasteh posted:

I just watched Harry drop a Forged Gladiator on Kamar-Taj and it pulled his opponent's Black Widow and Debrii lmao

Now I'm trying to think of decks that don't have On Reveals that're an instant loss if you hit them. There's maybe two or three? Giving your opponent an On Reveal they wouldn't have drawn or played otherwise is just so wildly bad.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I don't get why he's not like dirty rat and prevents the on reveal. Or maybe if he kills the other card first, it doesn't go off?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skippy McPants posted:

Now I'm trying to think of decks that don't have On Reveals that're an instant loss if you hit them. There's maybe two or three? Giving your opponent an On Reveal they wouldn't have drawn or played otherwise is just so wildly bad.

Depends on the timing of it. Pulling Carnage or Deathlok onto your opponent's big Venom will kill both of them as well as denying him a Zola split or a Deadpool doubling. Pulling Loki with prio on the turn he plays his Snowguard and Collector is a 20-point swing. I've been messing around with a Gladiator deck that empties your opponent's deck and it's quite viable.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

I don't get why he's not like dirty rat and prevents the on reveal. Or maybe if he kills the other card first, it doesn't go off?

That'd make him powerful but also really inconsistent since any ability that reveals a card triggers the On Reveal, so he'd be the only thing that worked that way (that I can think of.) I guess you could do something like Hearthstone's Joust, where he looks at the top card of the enemy deck and destroys or plays it, depending on the power balance. But again, that would be a unique ability and is probably more work to implement and not worth the trouble.

I think he's just kinda badly designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
There are plenty of non on-reveal cards that seem like they'd be miserable to pull. Giving your opponent a free Infininaut seems kind of disastrous.

How does he interact with the least consistent card in the game, Professor X? Does his own power kill him, or does X's lock down prevent himself from being killed?