Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

I'm morbidly curious about what a Del Toro directed Jabba the Hutt movie would look like.

Stealth autobiopic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Maigius posted:

My fear is that John Difool will be too competent and likable, besides the obvious coherency question.

There's that and also how do you translate Moebius's art to live action? The animated sizzle reel that was out there a while back is really how The Incal should be presented.

Like it makes more sense to make it a mini-series or a whole show than a movie.

90s/early 2000s Showtime or HBO would have been an awesome place for that or a Metabarons series.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

I'm morbidly curious about what a Del Toro directed Jabba the Hutt movie would look like.

Yeah, that's the only one that seems like it could of been intresting. Dude always seems to have problems getting projects up. Just give the man money to do what ever projects he want's hollywood!!!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

JD Dillard said his movie was inspired by the 1990s TIE Fighter video game, which I give huge props to as an inspiration if nothing else.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lazy ai bros can’t even feed the bots Jabba Scarface prompts what the gently caress good are they

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Stealth autobiopic?

What do you mean?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What do you mean?

idk I hosed up trying to make a fat joke but it didn't even make sense. Man deserved more respect

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

What's Lucas been doing?

Walking thru the background of random documentaries.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

What's Lucas been doing?

Winning. He made out like a bandit with several billion dollars, He had his public reputation change overnight from “the hack who ruined Star Wars” to “the auteur who is the only one who can make good Star Wars”, He completely escaped the Hollywood lifestyle that keeps all the other old stars/directors in perpetual PR mode, and just relaxes all day in his lounge chair being hand fed grapes by slaves.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sounds like poetry.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
George Lucas has never given a gently caress

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Winning. He made out like a bandit with several billion dollars, He had his public reputation change overnight from “the hack who ruined Star Wars” to “the auteur who is the only one who can make good Star Wars”, He completely escaped the Hollywood lifestyle that keeps all the other old stars/directors in perpetual PR mode, and just relaxes all day in his lounge chair being hand fed grapes by slaves.

George Lucas has basically done what sane people would do if they became billionaires

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Was Del Toro ever actually in the running to make his Jabba the Hutt movie? I thought he just threw it out in an interview as something he'd like to do

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, that's the only one that seems like it could of been intresting. Dude always seems to have problems getting projects up. Just give the man money to do what ever projects he want's hollywood!!!

Just an educated guess based on what I know about Del Toro, but I think his experience making Mimic really traumatized him. He went back home, made The Devil's Backbone, and didn't work in Hollywood again until 5 years later. So I imagine the way he works, especially now with all the major success he's had, is that he just doesn't hesitate to pull the ripcord and walk away from something if things are showing signs of going off the rails in that typical Hollywood way that they often do.

Like with The Hobbit, he worked on that for something like 2 years but then when the business side of it wasn't coming together fast enough he just said oh well I guess I'll move on to something else. I'd guess that there have been similar situations with a potential Hellboy 3 over the years, he's just not going to get himself wrapped up in those maddening behind the scenes situations that happen with big budget productions. Same thing with At The Mountains of Madness, he'd love to make it but he's also not going to jump through a million hoops just to get a bastardized version of something greenlit, he opted out of all that crap a long time ago.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Just an educated guess based on what I know about Del Toro, but I think his experience making Mimic really traumatized him. He went back home, made The Devil's Backbone, and didn't work in Hollywood again until 5 years later. So I imagine the way he works, especially now with all the major success he's had, is that he just doesn't hesitate to pull the ripcord and walk away from something if things are showing signs of going off the rails in that typical Hollywood way that they often do.

Like with The Hobbit, he worked on that for something like 2 years but then when the business side of it wasn't coming together fast enough he just said oh well I guess I'll move on to something else. I'd guess that there have been similar situations with a potential Hellboy 3 over the years, he's just not going to get himself wrapped up in those maddening behind the scenes situations that happen with big budget productions. Same thing with At The Mountains of Madness, he'd love to make it but he's also not going to jump through a million hoops just to get a bastardized version of something greenlit, he opted out of all that crap a long time ago.

And the Hobbit had the absolute best chance of going forward. It's an established francshise/cultural touchstone, he had the personal blessing and collaboration of Jackson, and it still went to poo poo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Has anyone actually watched all three Hobbit movies? If so, why?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Was Lucas an Epstein Island visitor? Maybe I’m confusing him with Matt Groening

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

What's Lucas been doing?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Professor Shark posted:

Was Lucas an Epstein Island visitor? Maybe I’m confusing him with Matt Groening

Not that I’m aware of, Groening definitely was though

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Groening absolutely was. But instead of acknowledging that he instead decided to weigh in on the Apu controversy and declare "people love to be offended"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

It should be noted that Groening wasn't accused of being a sex pest but he apparently has the most disgusting feet in the world.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

What's Lucas been doing?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

tokyo godfathers is his second to last movie but close

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

A Taika movie that's bad?? Who could've seen that coming.

He's doing Klara and the Sun. I just don't see how his wacky style fits somehow.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Me :smith: I watched the first one in theaters in 48fps with my family and we all agreed that it wasn't as good as the Lord of the Rings movies and that the high frame rate sucked. Then I saw the second one in theaters by myself, I guess because I heard interesting things about Benedict Cumberbatch's performance as Smaug? And the third one I have no excuse for. I watched it at home for some fuckin' reason. I think I tuned out for most of it because it just bored the hell out of me.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Chairman Capone posted:

Also Dave Bowman's pod from 2001 is in Watto's junk yard, which makes me want to see an edit to the end of 2001 where the Monolith takes him to Tatooine.

"My God. It's full of bars."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Pretty sure if you watch the first thirty minutes of the first hobbit movie you've seen the only decent part of the trilogy. I tapped out after the second one.

Some of the stuff with the dwarves arriving and having dinner actually seemed to be setting a decent tone, and the somber song was really well done... yeah.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Those movies are staggeringly bad. Like, it’s confusing how they turned out the way they did.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I've never seen the third Hobbit, the second was on TV at a hotel and was ponderous, the first I watched when it came out and was bored

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I saw the first one in 48fps IMAX and the most memorable part was when the sound became desynced about a half second behind for half the movie.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Yeah and I watched the final one in the front row and I think it broke me because I thought the whole thing was really funny but no one else did

I only watched any of them because it was a big deal in my family and I wanted to make them happy

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Yeah and I watched the final one in the front row and I think it broke me because I thought the whole thing was really funny but no one else did

I only watched any of them because it was a big deal in my family and I wanted to make them happy

I laughed very loud when the elf ran up the falling debris.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched all three Hobbit movies at the midnight showing on release, because my girlfriend at the time was a huge Tolkien fan. I fell asleep each time. Same with when I tried to watch them again at home years later.

Though I do agree the first hour or so of the first movie is pretty good.

galagazombie posted:

I remember back in 2012, it was reported that Lucas was going to donate most of the money he made from the Disney sale to charity. No idea how it would even be possible to confirm that, though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Robot Style posted:

It's pretty cool that there have been more directors fired from or attached to nonexistent Star Wars movies than there are actual Star Wars movies.

• Benioff & Weiss (allegedly Old Republic)
  • Colin Trevorrow (Episode 9)
  • Guillermo Del Toro (Jabba the Hutt)
  • James Mangold (Boba Fett)
  • JD Dillard (unknown premise)
  • Josh Trank (Boba Fett)
  • Lord & Miller (Solo)
  • Patty Jenkins (Rogue Squadron)
  • Rian Johnson (unknown premise)
  • Russo Brothers (Kevin Feige's movie)
  • Stephen Daldry (Obi-Wan)
  • Taika Waititi (unknown premise)
  • Zack Snyder (Rebel Moon)

Colin Trevorrow should be fired from more movies to make up for the ones he was given

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://x.com/DisneyPinnacle/status/1724439905143587217?s=20https://x.com/DisneyPinnacle/status/1724481388416798969?s=20

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Hobbit trilogy was overall okay, actually. I saw all 3. Not ideal tho.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
that poo poo was so bad. the loving Total War battles in the final one. so loving long. so loving boring. oh wow cool we can see all the stupid bullshit that happened when Bilbo was unconscious in the book!!
oh cool a formation of CGI elves versus a formation of CGI orcs!!

at least the battles in LotR had this narrative weight where you actually cared about them and were invested.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

in my head when i read the book sthe dwarves showed up and they all have different hair locks and custom gear with story behind it. In the movie it's a copy/paste crowd sim lol

and you know what this movie needs more of? the king of town's loving weaseldick sidekick going around trolling people long after he died

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I like Waititi a ton, but sports movies almost always bore the poo poo out of me. The trailer didn’t do anything to change my plans to not see it. It certainly gave me the impression that he just took it so they’d let him do things he actually cares about later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
There are three hobbit movies? I knew they broke it up, but I assumed it was just into two

lmao