Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I set up my two Nest thermostats to show the outside temperature. One of them says it's 30 F outside, the other says it's 34 F outside. anroid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I set up my two Nest thermostats to show the outside temperature. One of them says it's 30 F outside, the other says it's 34 F outside. anroid

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

imagine being rich enough for two nest thermostats

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

akadajet posted:

imagine being rich enough for two nest thermostats

surprised the mansion doesn’t require a third

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
it is very appropriate, in the andoird thread, to state that smart home stuff is generally crap because everything wants you to make an account and use their app to collect your data, for a device which uses communication to a cloud service to control a device on your same local network

meanwhile over in apple home, devices work locally first and foremost, with only a few bad manufacturers having their devices complain or stop working if their internet connection is cut off, meaning that (as i have done) you can block communication with the internet for almost everything, cutting off any way for the manufacturer to talk to its device and get any data about usage patterns or your setup/location/etc.

the matter standard has all of those benefits of apple home but also allowing control through other ecosystems: can add a matter smart plug to apple home, google home, alexa, sarnsung smartthings, etc., but thats still relatively new, the spec is missing a bunch of devices that people have/want, and even the 1.2 revision of the spec hasnt been implemented in a lot of software like apple home yet

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i really appreciate the manufacturers whose apps have a "homekit only" mode which asks for permission to access apple home data and to talk to devices on the local network, to update firmware of things without making an account with the manufacturer or registering the device or anything like that

manufacturers who do that: leviton, eve, meross, maybe one or two other that ive used but am forgetting

not as nice as manufacturers who just push their firmware updates through apple home directly (schlage, belkin but their wemo stuff has a ton of other issues), but much better than needing to register an account with the manufacturer and add the device to their app (gently caress you, ge/haier)

e: i have three matter smart bulbs from nanoleaf that i also needed to add to my account in their app, but i wasnt too annoyed by that since theyre the first matter devices ive had and for all i know thats required due to the multi-tenancy matter stuff that allows a device to be controlled by (e.g.) apple home and google home and alexa at the same time

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 1, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

One of my Nest thermostats says that it's 47 F outside. The other says it's 42 F outside. It's actually 49 F out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we call that the pittsburgh spread

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the next step beyond double-clocking

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

infernal machines posted:

we call that the pittsburgh spread

don’t doxx tori’s streetwalking name

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

don’t doxx tori’s streetwalking name

lol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

nests don’t draw power in a recommended way, which was explained to me when my thermostat managed to cause about $500 of damage to my AC when it failed. apparently it’s pretty common and they do this poo poo often. I have an ecobee now that’s not as cool but also hasn’t tried to murder my house so I guess that’s something.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google has gotten so desperate about green bubble stigma that they’re pushing the EU to force Apple to open the iMessage protocol. I look forward to the reaction when they implement it and Apple still makes their bubbles green.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Management posted:

google has gotten so desperate about green bubble stigma that they’re pushing the EU to force Apple to open the iMessage protocol. I look forward to the reaction when they implement it and Apple still makes their bubbles green.

this would be pretty drat funny

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the green bubbles are the fallout of the tech bubble. they'll be around forever

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Qualcomm thought that phone manufacturers would surely want feature parity with iPhone but nope

https://www.engadget.com/qualcomms-satellite-texting-plan-is-dead-because-phone-makers-arent-interested-204331091.html

wonder what the cost would have been to get a pixel with satcom

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it’s because android users are hopelessly lost to begin with.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
its because they don’t leave the house

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

its because they don’t leave the house

you’re not going to have friends or a social life with green text bubbles

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

nests don’t draw power in a recommended way, which was explained to me when my thermostat managed to cause about $500 of damage to my AC when it failed. apparently it’s pretty common and they do this poo poo often. I have an ecobee now that’s not as cool but also hasn’t tried to murder my house so I guess that’s something.

nest thermostats do not necessarily pull power such that they can damage hvac systems, but it is possible (and apparently relatively common) to install them in that way

they can run without a common (neutral, or c-) wire, like a smart light switch that works without a neutral, but that means the device has to insert itself as a load in series with the hvac system, which depending on system can cause a lot of spurious activation, maybe including rapid cycling which can damage stuff as you said

if you connect it with a c-wire, the thermostat gets continuous power from the hvac system and doesnt need to potentially power the system on to keep its internal battery charged, and all is well

this is described in pretty good detail in https://smartthermostatguide.com/no-c-wire-install-a-nest-thermostat-at-your-own-risk/

ecobee thermostats cannot be installed without a common wire, they have no battery and require continuous power from the system, so they are a lot safer in that it is not possible to install them in a way that will disagree with various types of hvac setup, so if you were to connect a nest the same way your ecobee is hooked up now, you would probably not have the same issues (emphasis on "probably", i am not a hvac expert, and thats not a $500 bet i would want to make, especially because a nest would be a downgrade for us in that very few of them integrate with apple home, and poorly)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

that was exactly it, I couldn’t remember the details but everything you said is exactly what the hvac dude told me. I didn’t live in the house when it was installed, alas I *did* have the AC unit replaced so it’s a shame they didn’t pick up on the potential issue at the time, but I do remember the internal battery of the nest running dead at one point before so there were problems brewing I didn’t know about.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
home hvac iinstallers are dumb as bricks and normally only run the minimum required wires and leave the C and a bunch out.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

my ecobee came with a wiring kit to work around the lack of a c wire but I didn't end up having to use it because I found the c wire live and loose inside the wall. in short:

Celexi posted:

home hvac iinstallers are dumb as bricks

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

peeking behind the thermostat and finding wires coming out a hole clearly made with a hammer

I had to do the extra common wire adapter for my ecobee but I ran a nest with no common just g-y-w-r wires for years without issue

Apr 7, 2003

When the wiring is good

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
smythe! :unsmith:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

kisses 2 u my friend

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
skunks fuckin own, op. went up to the mountains a couple of months ago and spent my nights sitting by a fire pit. a parade of skunks came throughout the night to feast on birdseed that fell from the feeders. just chilled and watched the big fuzzy fellas as they snuffed and shuffled around

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they’re apparently pretty blind, so occasionally they’d bump into each other while eating and get all freaked out. they’d stomp and do this indignant huffing. then calm down and get back to eating birdseed

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
we always have a skunk family living with us. last year i caught three kits tumbling around playing and just stood and watched for a while instead of frightening them into running away. they’d pretend to be upset and get into spray mode with each other before jumping back into wrasslin

adorable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have a couple that wander through the back yard all summer, looking for grubs. my neighbour got a new dog though and i think it may have scared them off as i haven't seen them in a while.

they are definitely blind as hell. so are the opossums as far as i can tell, they just stroll right past me as long as i'm sitting fairly still.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

When the wiring is good

hook up a loving common wire for gently caress's sake, that will work okay in the winter but will wreck its battery in the summer and hopefully not damage your boiler while its tearing through its battery

and check the wiring for your other one that only controls the a/c

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

suck my green fart bubble texts

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

At long last, our green bubble nightmare is over! https://9to5mac.com/2023/11/16/apple-rcs-coming-to-iphone/

E: wait, gently caress
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-67451724

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As long as it quits reducing videos to 30kb .3gp in group chats I don't care about any other features.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

As long as it quits reducing videos to 30kb .3gp in group chats I don't care about any other features.

actually it’s funny as heck when this happens

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

who could possibly have seen this coming

quote:

Nothing has pulled the Nothing Chats beta from the Google Play store, saying it is “delaying the launch until further notice” while it fixes “several bugs.” The app promised to let Nothing Phone 2 users text with iMessage, but it required allowing Sunbird, who provides the platform, log into users’ iCloud accounts on its own Mac Mini servers, which... isn’t great?

The removal came after users widely shared a blog from Texts.com showing that messages sent with Sunbird’s system aren’t actually end-to-end encrypted — and that it’s not hard to compromise it. The app launched in beta yesterday after being announced earlier this week.

9to5Google pointed to a thread from site author Dylan Roussel, who found that part of Sunbird’s solution involves decrypting and transmitting messages using HTTP to a Firebase cloud-syncing server and storing them there in unencrypted plain text. Roussel posted that the company itself has access to messages because it logs them as errors using Sentry, a debugging service.

Sunbird claimed yesterday that HTTP is “only used as part of the one-off initial request from the app notifying back-end of the upcoming iMessage connection.”

That was in response to someone pointing to Texts.com’s blog examining the vulnerability. Texts.com wrote that “an attacker subscribed to the Firebase realtime database will always be able to access the messages before or at the moment they are read by the user.” The blog also points out that the company could look at messages in its Sentry dashboard, directly contradicting the claim from Nothing’s FAQ that nobody at Sunbird can access messages that are sent or received.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ugh that isn't even the original