Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Docjowles posted:

These are all funny options but Bill owns a boat that he renames every time he wins another ring (RIP the future income of his boat painter) and he's probably going to just fart around the Florida coast like every other wealthy old white guy whenever he cashes out

I refuse to spoiler this content

bucs it is then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Commanders imo

https://x.com/ustadium/status/1724517888227242375?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

FizFashizzle posted:

Starting to fear Bryce is just a product of the system down at Alabama and the entire "cerebral point guard" bullshit was just a marketing campaign gin'd up by Alabama loyalists in the media. Certainly explains why an idiot like Tepper fell for it.

I also have to wonder how much of it was wanting to get Bama fans in the seats/buying merch, which was probably more likely than Ohio State fans doing the same

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Nervous posted:

Football terminology can be really loving stupid. See also: nickel back (5th defensive back), dime back (6th defensive back, or the 2nd nickel back :rolleyes:), quarterback (signal caller on offense whaaaaat?!), halfback, fullback. I still rightly have no idea what the differences are between a running back/tailback/halfback/fullback despite having watched football for over two decades now, aside from the fact that fullbacks are typically much shorter at the end of their career than at the start.

Also sort of silly is the fact that the fullback lines up in front of the halfback. That seems reversed / counterintuitive. It comes from the single wing formation (quick writeup here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-wing_formation). It is closer in style to a rugby formation (as I understand it). The Tight End is on the line of scrimmage and ready to block. The Split End (precursor to the X receiver) is on the other side of the formation. The Wing Back was akin to an early slot receiver, but they had blocking duties as well like a fullback. The quarter back was another slot receiver / blocking from the backfield position. The full back was the secondary ball handler. The Tail Back was used as a primary ball handler. They ran the ball a lot out of this formation. This had some of the early options where either the full back or the tail back would keep the ball depending on the defensive look. Hope this helps some, please let me know if I missed anything.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 14, 2023

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Anderson Koopa posted:

Also sort of silly is the fact that the fullback lines up in front of the halfback. That seems reversed / counterintuitive. It comes from the single wing formation (quick writeup here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-wing_formation). It is closer in style to a rugby formation (as I understand it). The Tight End is on the line of scrimmage and ready to block. The Split End (precursor to the X receiver) is on the other side of the formation. The Wing Back was akin to an early slot receiver, but they had blocking duties as well like a fullback. The quarter back was another slot receiver / blocking from the backfield position. The full back was the primary ball handler. The Tail Back was used as a secondary ball handler. They ran the ball a lot out of this formation. This had some of the early options where either the full back or the tail back would keep the ball depending on the defensive look. Hope this helps some, please let me know if I missed anything.

Thank you. It's one of those things that I've always been mildly curious about, but never enough to really try and dive into it. They're all just variations of "guy you send out to run into brick walls for a few million a year" to me.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Nervous posted:

Thank you. It's one of those things that I've always been mildly curious about, but never enough to really try and dive into it. They're all just variations of "guy you send out to run into brick walls for a few million a year" to me.

As I understand it, the theoretical value of a fullback is that they are traveling in the same direction and rough speed as the Running Back, this gives them some versatility to adjust for what blocks need to be made. Of course sometimes the defensive line wins, and then the fullback and the running back run into a brick wall.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Nervous posted:

One of my neighbors is a washed up sports radio personality and told me a story about interviewing Howard Griffith, who played RB at Illinois but then a decade at FB in the pros. Griffith told him that playing FB was like 'running full speed headfirst into a garage wall 60 times a game' and that his memory was hosed up by it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

trevorreznik posted:

One of my neighbors is a washed up sports radio personality and told me a story about interviewing Howard Griffith, who played RB at Illinois but then a decade at FB in the pros. Griffith told him that playing FB was like 'running full speed headfirst into a garage wall 60 times a game' and that his memory was hosed up by it.

Howard Griffith literally got the Falcons to the Super Bowl in 1998. Dude was amazing.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Anderson Koopa posted:

Also sort of silly is the fact that the fullback lines up in front of the halfback. That seems reversed / counterintuitive. It comes from the single wing formation (quick writeup here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-wing_formation). It is closer in style to a rugby formation (as I understand it). The Tight End is on the line of scrimmage and ready to block. The Split End (precursor to the X receiver) is on the other side of the formation. The Wing Back was akin to an early slot receiver, but they had blocking duties as well like a fullback. The quarter back was another slot receiver / blocking from the backfield position. The full back was the secondary ball handler. The Tail Back was used as a primary ball handler. They ran the ball a lot out of this formation. This had some of the early options where either the full back or the tail back would keep the ball depending on the defensive look. Hope this helps some, please let me know if I missed anything.

It's simpler and more convoluted than that. Rugby, Soccer and Football were originally all the same sport, and still share some common position names. You can kind of track development of the rulesets of the games and significant deviations just from the unique position names. What's interesting to think about is a lot of position names originally had an offensive and defensive role.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
All of the offensive back names come from the pre-forward-pass era. You need a player lined up under center to take the snap. That dude is generally in a terrible position to run from because, well, he’s going to be caught up in the line, and the box is always stacked, and he’s got no space to get forward momentum, and by definition he can’t have extra blockers in front of him. So he’s generally going to hand the ball to someone, and basically all the game strategy comes from switching up who he hands off to, where they’re going, and who they’ve got blocking for them.

You’ve got three other players behind the line. The snap-taker is going to hand off as soon as he can, so the target should be right behind him. It’s advantageous to have some ambiguity about who’s going to run, so you want a couple different people lined up there as options. Whoever you don’t hand off to will help block for the runner, and maybe it’s good for them to have more momentum? So the classic formation has a sort of a diamond with a “quarterback” right behind the center taking the snap, two “halfbacks” as primary handoff targets right behind the quarterback, and a “fullback” behind them who usually either helps block or does the kicking.

In the 40’s, they realize that having the fullback be way back on normal plays isn’t really worthwhile, so the standard formation becomes the T, where the fullback stands between the halfbacks. This makes the fullback a much more viable handoff target, and a lot of the most famous runners from this era line up in that position, like Jim Brown. He’s still called a fullback, though, even though he’s really lining up as a third halfback. It’s just understood that he’s a bigger, stronger guy than the halfbacks.

The forward pass makes defensive spacing a much bigger thing; now you’ve got people lined up wide to force more of the defense to play out of the box. Also, defenders need to be faster, so there are fewer big bastards you need a whole crew to block. Also, it turns out that you can get plenty of ambiguity just from a halfback choosing to run in a different direction??!? Also, halfbacks have gotten faster, so if you’re going to have a back usefully blocking for them, you really need them to be lined up in front of the halfback, not way the gently caress behind them. But that player’s still called a fullback because they’re the bigger and stronger player (so they can block), just like the fullbacks of yore.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

FizFashizzle posted:

Howard Griffith literally got the Falcons to the Super Bowl in 1998. Dude was amazing.

Huh? Griffith played for the Broncos against the Falcons in that Super Bowl…

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Benne posted:

The actual content is just him breaking down film of 1940s Army games

With a raging b0an and a halting, breathy voice

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

rjmccall posted:

All of the offensive back names come from the pre-forward-pass era. You need a player lined up under center to take the snap. That dude is generally in a terrible position to run from because, well, he’s going to be caught up in the line, and the box is always stacked, and he’s got no space to get forward momentum, and by definition he can’t have extra blockers in front of him. So he’s generally going to hand the ball to someone, and basically all the game strategy comes from switching up who he hands off to, where they’re going, and who they’ve got blocking for them.

You’ve got three other players behind the line. The snap-taker is going to hand off as soon as he can, so the target should be right behind him. It’s advantageous to have some ambiguity about who’s going to run, so you want a couple different people lined up there as options. Whoever you don’t hand off to will help block for the runner, and maybe it’s good for them to have more momentum? So the classic formation has a sort of a diamond with a “quarterback” right behind the center taking the snap, two “halfbacks” as primary handoff targets right behind the quarterback, and a “fullback” behind them who usually either helps block or does the kicking.

In the 40’s, they realize that having the fullback be way back on normal plays isn’t really worthwhile, so the standard formation becomes the T, where the fullback stands between the halfbacks. This makes the fullback a much more viable handoff target, and a lot of the most famous runners from this era line up in that position, like Jim Brown. He’s still called a fullback, though, even though he’s really lining up as a third halfback. It’s just understood that he’s a bigger, stronger guy than the halfbacks.

The forward pass makes defensive spacing a much bigger thing; now you’ve got people lined up wide to force more of the defense to play out of the box. Also, defenders need to be faster, so there are fewer big bastards you need a whole crew to block. Also, it turns out that you can get plenty of ambiguity just from a halfback choosing to run in a different direction??!? Also, halfbacks have gotten faster, so if you’re going to have a back usefully blocking for them, you really need them to be lined up in front of the halfback, not way the gently caress behind them. But that player’s still called a fullback because they’re the bigger and stronger player (so they can block), just like the fullbacks of yore.

I want to see some championship team from the '30s play against an average modern high school team. The old guys could probably manhandle the teens on the line but they'd be absolutely discombobulated by "route running"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

fartknocker posted:

Huh? Griffith played for the Broncos against the Falcons in that Super Bowl…

Ack! confusing Griffith with Bob Christian. Griffith was also a former panthers FB that paved the way for a stud RB.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I want to see some championship team from the '30s play against an average modern high school team. The old guys could probably manhandle the teens on the line but they'd be absolutely discombobulated by "route running"

Decade's wrong I'm pretty sure but I'm just chortling at the thought of Night Train Lane clotheslining teenagers.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Nervous posted:

Decade's wrong I'm pretty sure but I'm just chortling at the thought of Night Train Lane clotheslining teenagers.

I had never heard of this guy because I don't know anything about old football players but :lmao: https://youtu.be/9BaPMMYekkA?si=6MNGurBZKPndwY1a

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Depends on the high school I imagine. Guys with the athletic profile for the NFL are just built different. Here's Myles Garrett in High School:

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

seeing a lot of guys with grit in that picture

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wentz on the left as well. just kidding.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I had never heard of this guy because I don't know anything about old football players but :lmao: https://youtu.be/9BaPMMYekkA?si=6MNGurBZKPndwY1a

Lmao that blocked kick.

For 20 yards I thought "huh I guess he caught it during the block itself?" assuming the old footage made it blurry.

Then "oh, it's still bouncing like 40 goddamn yards away" and then he catches it on the sprint with barely a crouching motion!

:drat:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kalli posted:

Depends on the high school I imagine. Guys with the athletic profile for the NFL are just built different. Here's Myles Garrett in High School:

Jesus Christ

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Ever so often there's a topic about legendary players from the past playing today and there's a lot of "They wouldn't be strong enough, they wouldn't be fast enough." I think there's a dude from the league's first year who could have played today. Fritz Pollard was the star player on the Ackron Pros, the first NFL Champion. He was faster than Jim Thorpe , elusive and smart. He was 5"9" and 166 pounds. It's unlikely he would be a star today but he would have certainly been a scat back or slot receiver.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Kalli posted:

I look at that and think 'Either this guy is on my team or I'm bailing on this and playing hockey'

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

kalensc posted:

Lmao that blocked kick.

For 20 yards I thought "huh I guess he caught it during the block itself?" assuming the old footage made it blurry.

Then "oh, it's still bouncing like 40 goddamn yards away" and then he catches it on the sprint with barely a crouching motion!

:drat:

Night Train Lane kicked all kinds of rear end, both figuratively and literally.

Edit: He'd have been right at home on the Bountygate Saints.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The problem with the 11 personnel in Carolina is its outdated as gently caress and requires a speed receiver and a primary read who can do something.

Mingo and thielen on the flanks are neither of those and DJ chark on the field for 12 snaps takes that speed option away for about 28 snaps a game at the moment.

You can use flex motion and bunch formations to generate picks and scheme guys into leverage hitting the line already at speed. It's how you "scheme guys open" in the jerk off football parlance.

Instead we line up and run static routes with slow old guys and rookie possession receivers.

I dont give a gently caress about Bryce not altering protection calls as a rookie. That's why you have a center with 5 years experience you extended for 3 years.

You can't protect your way out of 0 players being open and you can't scheme your way out of a guard wiffing someone in the A gap or your franchise left tackle getting knocked rear end first into your Qb.

Guys are losing 1 on 1 match ups far too often for this to be a factor in a 2002 tier offense without the personnel to run it.

Its the dumbest loving poo poo I've ever seen in a panthers offense.

loving Mike Shula who didn't know what a hurry up offense at least used motion and clustered receivers when Benjamin died.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Depends on the rulebook. I mean, leather helmets and no facemasks in the 1930s. You let these the pro guys horsecollar and clothesline people and it gets more even.

Playbook, too. There's some middling high schools teams running spread offenses and I've seen a fair share still running Wing T. Short passing, the 1930s guys are dead. Wing T or single wing, it might get interesting.

Back to defense, Hardy Brown was small dude whose defensive tactics were solely to know you the hell out. Unsurprisingly, Brown died of dementia. A really nasty childhood and booze combined with all the hard hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1OEU3-mL9k

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Depends on the rulebook. I mean, leather helmets and no facemasks in the 1930s. You let these the pro guys horsecollar and clothesline people and it gets more even.

Playbook, too. There's some middling high schools teams running spread offenses and I've seen a fair share still running Wing T. Short passing, the 1930s guys are dead. Wing T or single wing, it might get interesting.

Back to defense, Hardy Brown was small dude whose defensive tactics were solely to know you the hell out. Unsurprisingly, Brown died of dementia. A really nasty childhood and booze combined with all the hard hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1OEU3-mL9k

This was crazy interesting since I don’t know anything about football history or how the feeder schools work

I thought it was funny he called football in the 60s or early 70s a sissy game. Like holy poo poo was football more violent than hockey of the same era?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WEEK 11 UPDATE

Things are suddenly getting real interesting after a quiet start to the hot seat season. So I’ll sneak in a quick pre-Thanksgiving temperature check.

COOL

Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins
Robert Saleh, New York Jets
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
Brian Daboll, New York Giants
Dan Campbell, Detroit Lions
Kevin O’Connell, Minnesota Vikings
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams

I said a few weeks ago that I’m done with Saleh discourse until further notice, and I’m sticking with that no matter how much Zach Wilson is stinking up the joint. Just like he is, come to think of it.

You might notice an entire division is now missing from the Cool list. One of those teams is hosting a playoff game in January. Get into it!

FIRST-YEAR COACHES

Shane Steichen, Indianapolis Colts
DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans
Sean Payton, Denver Broncos
Jonathan Gannon, Arizona Cardinals

Ryans might be the COTY favorite right now, but don’t sleep on Steichen, who’s somehow at 5-5 with Gardner Minshew playing most of the season. The AFC South got real interesting real fast.

MILD

Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills – poo poo just got real in Western New York. After years of stability and being one of the best teams in football, the Bills are freefalling in a way that not many people predicted, even if you think their Super Bowl window quietly closed a couple years ago (raises hand). Following an inexcusable loss to the Broncos on primetime, McDermott fired OC Ken Dorsey, in what on paper looks like a rash move – the Bills are still among the league’s best offenses by most advanced stats, and Josh Allen continues playing good football for the most part. The problem is that they don't pass the eye test, they’re finding ways to lose, and Allen is falling back into old bad habits we thought he cleaned up under Brian Daboll. These are all coaching problems.

Now at 5-5, well behind the Wild Card pace, the Bills are facing a real crossroads. Do they sack up and reaffirm their status as a serious AFC contender? Or do they implode under the pressure and get everyone else fired? This is the biggest test of McDermott’s career so far, and I’m fascinated to see how it plays out.

Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints – A better-coached team would have the Saints running away with the NFC South right now. Unfortunately, the most Allen can do is maybe drag them to 9-8 if they’re lucky. At the time this looked like a weird choice as Payton’s successor, and it’s looking totally baffling now.

Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers – So much for the good vibes from a 3-1 start. Four of five losses reminded us all that this is not a good roster, and Bowles is probably not the man to lead it into the future.

MODERATE

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots – Okay, now I think it’s getting real. Another dismal performance in Germany, where Robert Kraft was desperate to make a good impression. And the Mac Jones era probably ended on a hideous interception, only for Bailey Zappe to throw an even worse pick. This team doesn’t have a quarterback. Even if they did, they don’t have playmakers for him to throw to. It’s stunning how little identity this roster has, and now that everyone knows his contract doesn’t go past 2024, Bill has very little rope to hang on to. The end of an era could come with a whimper instead of a bang.

Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers – Justin Herbert scored a touchdown on his last four possessions, and they still lost. Couldn’t draw up a better metaphor than that.They’re now buried behind the Wild Card race at 4-5. End Ross’ suffering please.

Frank Reich, Carolina Panthers – I’m pretty infamously conservative with ranking first-year coaches, so if someone ends up on here, you know it’s going really bad. And it seems like nobody is happy with the Reich tenure in Carolina, including Reich himself. He gave a weird interview to the official team’s website suggesting that he could take back playcalling, when the spin all season was that he planned to give it up, which makes me wonder if that was the real plan anyway, and it doesn’t matter because this offense is loving pathetic and Bryce Young might be doomed. David Tepper can and will take the heat for being an impatient meddler, but this whole project may have been DOA from the start.

Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons – Just go away. Who cares anymore.

SPICY HOT

Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders -- Sam Howell is leading the league in attempts. Sam Howell, that guy. Maybe that’s why he’s taking so many goddamn sacks.

Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears -- Hey, they won! Against an equally moribund Panthers team, but who cares about style points. Also they went a whole two weeks without a coach getting fired for “inappropriate behavior.” Baby steps, folks.

Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas Raiders (interim coach: Antonio Pierce)

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 15, 2023

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Benne posted:

WEEK 11 UPDATE

Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers – Justin Herbert scored a touchdown on his last four possessions, and they still lost. Couldn’t draw up a better metaphor than that.They’re now buried behind the Wild Card race at 4-5. End Ross’ suffering please.

Five.

Last five possessions.

I hate it here.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I'm sorry Ross, it must be just awful to have 4 wins and a functioning offense. My condolences.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Get his rear end

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I hope to God the Chargers sign belichick and he brings the Patriot way to Los Angeles

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If Dennis Allen misses the playoffs he gets fired.

If he makes the playoffs he should, honestly, still get fired.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

There is no better feeling that firing your horrible HC mid-season. It's like you get a minioffseason without having to wait 8 months

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Benne posted:

Frank Reich, Carolina Panthers – I’m pretty infamously conservative with ranking first-year coaches, so if someone ends up on here, you know it’s going really bad. And it seems like nobody is happy with the Reich tenure in Carolina, including Reich himself. He gave a weird interview to the official team’s website suggesting that he could take back playcalling, when the spin all season was that he planned to give it up, which makes me wonder if that was the real plan anyway, and it doesn’t matter because this offense is loving pathetic and Bryce Young might be doomed. David Tepper can and will take the heat for being an impatient meddler, but this whole project may have been DOA from the start.

There's a meme going around that Reich's aged since the season began that I thought was exaggerated, but after watching a bit of the interview, he really is starting to look rough:

Not sure how much of it is just the lighting, a dye job fading, or what, but I can see where they got that from

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

There's a story in the book The Essential Smart Football about Sean Payton coaching his kid's 6th grade football team while he was suspended for bountygate. He easily beat every team during the regular season except for one that ran the single wing.

He ended up facing that same team in the finals that year, and before the game he called up Jon Gruden and asked him if he knew how to beat the single wing. They came up with a gameplan together, and then Payton's team went out and got smashed a second time.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

lol

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

NFL.com's coaching candidates for the upcoming cycle.

https://x.com/TomPelissero/status/1724816795398295656?s=20

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I sometimes think the best place to be as a football fan is to have a team that is consistently like 11-6 and gets knocked out in the divisional round every year. Like they're good, enjoyable team to watch but you have some expectation that they can't go all the way so the inevitable playoff defeat isn't crushing. It also helps if you have a QB that isn't the future but isn't bad either so like the 2015-2018 Chiefs fits this bill.

I think the worst situation is to have a franchise QB on a team that consistently underperforms, either barely making or barely missing the playoffs. A team that you know if they make the playoffs they COULD do something special because you have the QB/weapons to make a say, 2007 Giants run at the Super Bowl but then for one reason or another it doesn't happen. When that loss hits or the season is clearly over, it just hurts so much worse than if your team was just terrible. This team doesn't quite fit that given Trent Green, but the 2003 Chiefs was that team for me.

What I'm trying to say is yeah, they got wins but oh my god Chargers fans don't deserve Herbert playing well and Keenan Allen having a career year and it amounting to nothing. Someone needs to save them from their team. Fire Staley for the love of god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

OneMoreTime posted:

I sometimes think the best place to be as a football fan is to have a team that is consistently like 11-6 and gets knocked out in the divisional round every year. Like they're good, enjoyable team to watch but you have some expectation that they can't go all the way so the inevitable playoff defeat isn't crushing. It also helps if you have a QB that isn't the future but isn't bad either so like the 2015-2018 Chiefs fits this bill.

I agree with your other points but the Seahawks are one of the teams that's been here for most of the last 8 years and it's more or less football purgatory to know you'll probably make the playoffs every year but never be any real threat to win it all. There's a lot of stability in the organization because of the consistency but it's always been a double-edged sword.