Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Twerk from Home posted:

You can't purchase Forza Horizon 3 digitally anymore, so be prepared to buy a used disc copy for that one.

Yeah, I'm aware of that and already eyeing copies on Ebay and such.

Twerk from Home posted:

Horizon 3 also was released on PC and you can buy a Steam code to play it there.

Microsoft Store exclusive to the best of my knowledge. I think they only started putting the Forza games on Steam with FH4 (which I own and love).

Twerk from Home posted:

Alan Wake 2 is incredible and it's never going to be sold on steam. You want a big exclusive? There it is.

Oh, that's a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’d rate FO4 as the 2nd best 3d fallout after New Vegas pretty easily. Better than 3 for sure although 3 had the whole newness factor going for it at the time.

Starfield is fine I just got bored and had no interest in continuing. If anything actual bad games are more fun because you can rip on them and mock the badness. Boring games not a lot to discuss other than it’s just dull.

2023 has both been a year of great games and some real disappointments for me with starfield and mw3 being dull or ripoffs I won’t buy.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Saoshyant posted:

I missed entirely on the Xbox One generation and its follow up from the Microsoft side. I am however considering getting a cheap Series X for Christmas, but I think I need some quality exclusives (ie not available on Steam*, Switch, or PS4) before I have second thoughts.

So, I'm making a list of anything I'd like to try and didn't get the chance since 2013. So far it's got Rare Replay, Forza Horizon 3, and Halo Wars 2. What else would you recommend? Genre is not important, I like everything that's fun or interesting.

* note I said "Steam" and not PC because I can't deal with the extremely lovely Microsoft Store, so any exclusive from there counts too

It’s hard to recommend an Xbox based on exclusives. It’s more about having a 4k console that can play modern games in parity with PS5, + gamepass + backwards compatibility back to even OG Xbox days + quick resume.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

It’s hard to recommend an Xbox based on exclusives. It’s more about having a 4k console that can play modern games in parity with PS5, + gamepass + backwards compatibility back to even OG Xbox days + quick resume.

Not to mention with a $20 dev license it's a really handy emulation box.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

It’s got the correct controller layout so it automatically wins

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Thom12255 posted:

Starfield is an odd game because they clearly took out all the fun and challenging parts of it over development and turned it into a loading fast travel simulator instead.

Honestly it’s just a 7/10 game. There’s fun parts there, and some really terrible parts. I honestly think there’s a great and interesting game buried in there somewhere under the weight of a bunch of awful decisions.

You can kind of alleviate the “loading screen simulator” aspect a little, by doing each individual step yourself. Walk back to the ship, board, walk to the cockpit and sit down, blast into space, set a waypoint, use the grav drive, fly across the system, then land. Using fast travel to warp between locations is quicker, but feels much stupider.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It exclusively has quick resume

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

I missed entirely on the Xbox One generation and its follow up from the Microsoft side. I am however considering getting a cheap Series X for Christmas, but I think I need some quality exclusives (ie not available on Steam*, Switch, or PS4) before I have second thoughts.

So, I'm making a list of anything I'd like to try and didn't get the chance since 2013. So far it's got Rare Replay, Forza Horizon 3, and Halo Wars 2. What else would you recommend? Genre is not important, I like everything that's fun or interesting.

* note I said "Steam" and not PC because I can't deal with the extremely lovely Microsoft Store, so any exclusive from there counts too

Xbox hasn't really had anything not on PC in a long time, first party-wise they've been doing day-and-date PC releases for a very long time and almost always offering them for sale on Steam as well. That said, Rare Replay, which you listed, is one of the true Xbox exclusives at least in terms of the "package". You can get it on disc or digitally, but if you get it digitally you get GoldenEye as a bonus, which you don't if you get it on disc (but can buy GoldenEye on its own separately).

There are a few "console exclusive" games but most of those are also available on Switch and/or PS4, stuff like sports games.

Alan Wake 2 that was mentioned is on PC, although only on the Epic Game Store for the moment (might come to Steam in a few months or a year). It's also digital-only if that matters for you regardless of platform. There were hints about some "good news" for physical collectors related to TGA, but that might be in reference to only Baldur's Gate 3, and potentially only a disc version for PS5.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you care about exclusives get a playstation, if you care about gamepass, get an Xbox. It's about as simple as that.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

univbee posted:

Alan Wake 2 that was mentioned is on PC, although only on the Epic Game Store for the moment (might come to Steam in a few months or a year).

Would Epic bring it to Steam though? Epic published it after all. I honestly don't know how likely it is.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Epic has three games on Steam, the latest being the Shadow Complex remaster from 2016. Wouldn't hold my breath

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Zat posted:

Would Epic bring it to Steam though? Epic published it after all. I honestly don't know how likely it is.

I love that gamers have achieved such Roman Emperor levels of decadence that signing up to a different website to buy games is unthinkable.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Zat posted:

They wouldn't. They have been doing the opposite by buying companies to get their games off Steam (Rocket League and Fall Guys).

veni veni veni posted:

If you care about exclusives get a playstation

That would have been correct a few years back, but Sony has been bringing stuff to PC at a good clip, so their exclusives matter less these days. I feel I haven't been missing much for not having a PS5.

veni veni veni posted:

if you care about gamepass, get an Xbox.

I specifically don't because I have a very large backlog and would feel guilty paying monthly for something I wouldn't use.

Ryoga posted:

Not to mention with a $20 dev license it's a really handy emulation box.

How does this work? I had heard about a $100 payment to be able to sideload emulators, but don't know the details.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Saoshyant posted:

How does this work? I had heard about a $100 payment to be able to sideload emulators, but don't know the details.

I used an earlier version of this guide to set it up. Dunno where you heard about it costing a hundo. I’m guessing it was someone charging for access to their retail mode app, but MS cracked down on emulators outside of dev mode earlier this year anyways.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I get why it's the case but it's really funny that the way Microsoft decided to get around the legal issues of having emulation apps on the Xbox store is "you have to pay Microsoft to get the emulator apps"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

That would have been correct a few years back, but Sony has been bringing stuff to PC at a good clip, so their exclusives matter less these days. I feel I haven't been missing much for not having a PS5.

I guess that depends on how much you care about the titles. I generally like them enough to not want to wait 3-5 years to *maybe* play them on PC personally

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the only Sony exclusives I care about are the Final Fantasy games. everything else I get on xbox and switch

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

the only Sony exclusive I care about is Death Stranding 2 but I won’t be devastated to miss it

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Outside of maybe Spiderman and Horizon, I don't like any of the PS exclusives. And these 2 are still not enough to buy a PS for.

If you like Bethesda games, Halo, Forza, Fable, etc... and you don't want to play on a PC, then an Xbox seems like the obvious choice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I bought a PS5 for Ratchet and Clank and Jumping Flash

Edit: I dont think Ive turned on my PS5 in 8 months?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

univbee posted:

Technically it does, thanks to Microsoft's massive investment into cloud gaming, as the 100%-bug-free PS3 version is streamable if you have a PS+ Premium membership. No DLC support, though.

I will never understand them not including DLC in their streaming, at the very least it should be available if you own it for use with the regular version

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

I will never understand them not including DLC in their streaming, at the very least it should be available if you own it for use with the regular version

lazy publishers

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Get your wallets ready, boys and girls.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1724790042907086919?t=REW3IywjBLF2Lu8ExMHERw&s=19

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Barudak posted:

Edit: I dont think Ive turned on my PS5 in 8 months?

I keep forgetting to claim the monthly games :negative:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Can’t wait for the inevitable “I bought _______ a week before black friday” type complaint/whine posts.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1724835018793451957

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay I like the Elite Series 2 and if I didn't have one right now I would definitely think seriously about that free engraving deal.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Nice try for almost getting me to watch the Game Awards.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
It’s just going to release during the game awards

Trying to get players stoked for a release when the game’s been out all year on other platforms is kinda lame lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Soul Glo posted:

It’s just going to release during the game awards

Trying to get players stoked for a release when the game’s been out all year on other platforms is kinda lame lol

It has not in fact been out all year

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Dec 31, 11:59pm

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The release date will be announced following the public execution of the Series S on live television

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Professor Beetus posted:

It has not in fact been out all year

It feels like it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Soul Glo posted:

It feels like it

It's a pretty long game

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

hatty posted:

The release date will be announced following the public execution of the Series S on live television

Didn't you hear, the Series S saved gaming.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Alchenar posted:

Okay I like the Elite Series 2 and if I didn't have one right now I would definitely think seriously about that free engraving deal.

I really like the Elite Series 2 in theory but I can’t recommend it to anyone due to the terrible quality control/durability/whatever is up with these things. I’m currently sending mine in for replacement for a second time due to stick drift/centering issues (it was actually 2 weeks out of warranty but customer support took pity on me). Fingers crossed I get one of those mythical units without issues but I’m not holding my breath.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

If you get one that works it's the best controller out there imo. Crazy battery life and I love how heavy it is. Also like the rough grips, makes holding it a lot easier. I have a series 2 and core elite and I won the lottery on both.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
edit: that's a lie

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Thinking about picking up a refurb XSS because I played on my old XB1 a bit during quiet work hours and boy that poo poo is s-l-o-w.

Hopefully the Black Friday game sale has some good games!

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

it's important to own a ps5 to play bloodborne