Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Juryo: Chiyomaru had a bad landing off the dohyo. Got up with some assistance but was kinda clutching his left shoulder/pec area. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Bentai posted:

Juryo: Chiyomaru had a bad landing off the dohyo. Got up with some assistance but was kinda clutching his left shoulder/pec area. :(

:(

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I think I watched that bout - didn't he get very forcefully ejected from the dohyō by a powerful thrust to the face? Perhaps unnecessarily so?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Dead Goon posted:

I think I watched that bout - didn't he get very forcefully ejected from the dohyō by a powerful thrust to the face? Perhaps unnecessarily so?

No, he lost via kotenage(arm lock throw) and just kind of rolled off of the edge of the dohyo. Doesn't look like Tokihayate threw excessively hard or anything, just bad luck imo.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
NHK World is now posting coverage of the basho on youtube. Sadly they lag about a day behind and don't include every bout, so still not a good replacement for Natto or other rogue actors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84AK45sSXqg (Embedding disabled)

Still, the higher definition means you can discover whole new aspects to the game, like Kotoeko being surprisingly hairy.

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 14, 2023

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Khizan posted:

No, he lost via kotenage(arm lock throw) and just kind of rolled off of the edge of the dohyo. Doesn't look like Tokihayate threw excessively hard or anything, just bad luck imo.

Ah, must have been another match I was thinking of!

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

As promised, my version of the tracker. So as not to gum up the thread with my daily updates and to prevent possible spoilers, I can keep editing this post with the updated daily tracking after each day's basho. I'll unspoiler it once we've posted past this page.

Kenning, your points match up to my tracker as of Day 2. Let me know if you are okay with me posting these updates. It's your contest so if you'd rather keep full ownership of scorekeeping, I'd totally understand since I can't promise that my tracker won't be fully error-free.

edit: Thanks Kenning!

Day 15 - Final Update:

code:
Day 15 (Final Results, unofficial until Kenning's post)

Makuuchi
65.5	MalarkeyToboggan
62	Iron Chef Nex
60.5	Saturnine Aberrance
59	Tiny Bug Child
57.5	Khizan
56.5	Vargatron
56.5	Communist Thoughts
56.5	anakha
55.5	Xerzes
50.5	Banana Canada
50.5	Pakled
50.5	Teddybear
49.5	pseudodragon
49	Everyones Favorite Poster
49	Akiosan
48.5	whats for dinner
48	Thauros
47.5	NuclearPotato
47	Jobbo_Fett
47	Ice Phisherman
46	Marching Powder
45.5	bartolimu
45	Robviously
45	Fluffdaddy
43.5	Brut
41	Kenning
41	Netsky
40.5	Crusty Nutsack
40.5	Average Lettuce
39.5	Helianthus Annuus
38.5	Mode 7
38	Charles Gnarwin
37.5	GoatSeeGuy
34.5	Lid
34.5	MyChemicalImbalance
32.5	Kuros
31	Nativity In Black
30	captainblastum

Juryo
64.5	NTRabbit
58.5	Fearless
57	Kennedy
56.5	bessantj
53.5	Winter Stormer
53	Rags to Liches
53	Ben Nerevarine
52.5	Chinook
52	Kerrzhe
51.5	Taffy Torpedo
51.5	Dead Goon
50.5	ullerrm
48.5	Log082
48	rare Magic card l00k
47.5	Beexoffel
47	ImplicitAssembler
46.5	Gaghskull
46	QuasiQuack
46	Bentai
46	Liquid Communism
46	Takuan
44.5	Octatonic
44	FART BOSS
44	oldskool
43	Biosys
43	Samuel L. Hacksaw
42	Boogalo
41	Eldoop
39	KungFu Grip
39	PJ
34.5	Medenmath
34	Single Tight Female

Banana Canada fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 26, 2023

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kenning posted:

Day 2 standings

Makuuchi
code:
9	Communist Thoughts
8	Khizan
8	NuclearPotato
8	Xerzes
7	Akiosan
7	anakha
7	Ice Phisherman
7	Iron Chef Nex
7	Kenning
7	MalarkeyToboggan
7	Marching Powder
7	Mode 7
7	Teddybear
7	Thauros
6	Average Lettuce
6	Banana Canada
6	Everyones Favorite Poster
6	Jobbo_Fett
6	Netsky
6	Pakled
6	Robviously
6	Tiny Bug Child
5	bartolimu
5	Brut
5	Crusty Nutsack
5	Fluffdaddy
5	GoatSeeGuy
5	Helianthus Annuus
5	Kuros
5	pseudodragon
5	Saturnine Aberrance
5	Vargatron
5	whats for dinner
4	Charles Gnarwin
4	Lid
4	Nativity In Black
3	captainblastum
3	MyChemicalImbalance

Yes, yes! An unassailable lead!

I'd trade it all in for a Takayasu cup, just sayin

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
numbers :swoon:

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I chose with my heart and it is not working out :sigh:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Taffy Torpedo posted:

I chose with my heart and it is not working out :sigh:

early days heart, early days.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

cool -- thank you for the screenshots, Banana Canada

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
time to trade!

i want to trade away Roga and pick up Tamawashi

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I’d like to trade Roga for Takarafuji please!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
my brand of sumo disallows trading but boy howdy do i sometimes wish it allowed it. but if i caved, the old, rich weirdos who really like my specific brand of sumo would stop buying me booze and hookers and sometimes even some cash in hand apartment wrestling fiascos which is basically my retirement fund at this point.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Chiyomaru is kyujo with a shoulder injury. Given that he was 0-3 prior, he’s likely to get booted from Juryo if he doesn’t come back. https://www.47news.jp/10130604.html

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ullerrm posted:

Chiyomaru is kyujo with a shoulder injury. Given that he was 0-3 prior, he’s likely to get booted from Juryo if he doesn’t come back. https://www.47news.jp/10130604.html

ugh. tochinoshin got me interested in sumo with his ozeki reclamation highlights on youtube, and chiyomaru, enho, and hakuho backed up that interest with genuinely fascinating sumo personas and styles. also chiyomaru looks like a giant cuddly cloud. anyway they're all... doing great. jesus eras dip in and out of existence quick in sumo. a whatever bring on the new guys. they're cool too.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I would like to trade Roga for Tamawashi, or anyone else

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Marching Powder posted:

ugh. tochinoshin got me interested in sumo with his ozeki reclamation highlights on youtube, and chiyomaru, enho, and hakuho backed up that interest with genuinely fascinating sumo personas and styles. also chiyomaru looks like a giant cuddly cloud. anyway they're all... doing great. jesus eras dip in and out of existence quick in sumo. a whatever bring on the new guys. they're cool too.

Someone should buy chiyo an account to post during his recovery

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Someone should buy chiyo an account to post during his recovery

him actually retiring and getting to have a twitter account would probably make me start using twitter. or loving x or whatever. just pictures of him doing whatever and japanese gibberish would get a like from me

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Tokushoryu :3

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm loving seeing all the ozeki showing up and winning decisively.

Banana Canada posted:

As promised, my version of the tracker. So as not to gum up the thread with my daily updates and to prevent possible spoilers, I can keep editing this post with the updated daily tracking after each day's basho. I'll unspoiler it once we've posted past this page.

Kenning, your points match up to my tracker as of Day 2. Let me know if you are okay with me posting these updates. It's your contest so if you'd rather keep full ownership of scorekeeping, I'd totally understand since I can't promise that my tracker won't be fully error-free.

Oh no, there's no downsides to double-checking, especially since our sheets are built a little differently so that's good redundancy. Thanks for jumping in!

Helianthus Annuus posted:

time to trade!

i want to trade away Roga and pick up Tamawashi

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I’d like to trade Roga for Takarafuji please!

Chinook posted:

I would like to trade Roga for Tamawashi, or anyone else

All registered as-is for day 4. Also I'm dropping Roga for Kitanowaka.

Day 3 standings

Makuuchi
code:
12	anakha
12	Communist Thoughts
12	Ice Phisherman
12	Iron Chef Nex
12	Khizan
12	Xerzes
11	MalarkeyToboggan
11	NuclearPotato
11	Teddybear
11	Thauros
10	Akiosan
10	Banana Canada
10	Marching Powder
10	Netsky
10	Tiny Bug Child
9	Everyones Favorite Poster
9	Jobbo_Fett
9	Kenning
9	Mode 7
9	Pakled
9	pseudodragon
8	Average Lettuce
8	Brut
8	Fluffdaddy
8	GoatSeeGuy
8	Robviously
8	Vargatron
8	whats for dinner
7	bartolimu
7	Crusty Nutsack
7	Kuros
7	Saturnine Aberrance
6	Charles Gnarwin
6	Helianthus Annuus
6	Lid
6	Nativity In Black
5	captainblastum
4	MyChemicalImbalance
Juryo
code:
12	bessantj
12	Dead Goon
12	rare Magic card l00k
12	Samuel L. Hacksaw
11	Kennedy
11	NTRabbit
11	Takuan
11	Winter Stormer
10	Ben Nerevarine
10	Bentai
10	Fearless
10	Liquid Communism
10	oldskool
9	Beexoffel
9	Biosys
9	Boogalo
9	Octatonic
9	QuasiQuack
9	ullerrm
8	Chinook
8	Kerrzhe
8	Log082
7	Eldoop
7	Gaghskull
7	PJ
7	Rags to Liches
6	FART BOSS
6	ImplicitAssembler
6	KungFu Grip
6	Medenmath
6	Single Tight Female
6	Taffy Torpedo

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I would trade but I have three total garbagemen and can't pick which one should go my honour does not allow it.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Could I trade Oho for either Tamawashi or Ichiyamamoto? If none of those are available, Sadanoumi.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Tracker is now updated to Day 4

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

Tokushoryu :3

probably the best basho i've ever seen. the narrative my goodness. his college coach dying mid basho. his emotion. loving sublime. if anyone is reading this and doesn't know what i'm talking about just google hatsu 2020. dude gets promoted from juryo1 with an 8-7 to M17, the literal lowest rank on that banzuke for makuuchi, and lives a fairy tale.

the only one to rival it is hakuho's swan song which itself is top 5 sporting events i've ever witnessed and without a doubt the most impressive individual sporting achievement i've ever personally seen. 15-0 on one leg is just mind boggling.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

probably the best basho i've ever seen. the narrative my goodness. his college coach dying mid basho. his emotion. loving sublime. if anyone is reading this and doesn't know what i'm talking about just google hatsu 2020. dude gets promoted from juryo1 with an 8-7 to M17, the literal lowest rank on that banzuke for makuuchi, and lives a fairy tale.

the only one to rival it is hakuho's swan song which itself is top 5 sporting events i've ever witnessed and without a doubt the most impressive individual sporting achievement i've ever personally seen. 15-0 on one leg is just mind boggling.

Definitely Hakuho’s last basho for me.

The Kaiju versus the GOAT. The most dominant comeback run in the history of the sport is running into the last stand of the greatest athlete ever, and they’re both 14-0 on the last day? Absolutely insane.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Khizan posted:

Definitely Hakuho’s last basho for me.

The Kaiju versus the GOAT. The most dominant comeback run in the history of the sport is running into the last stand of the greatest athlete ever, and they’re both 14-0 on the last day? Absolutely insane.

the hakuho one is objectively superior in every technical aspect. i just realised my bias to hatsu 2020 and tokushoryu is that it was my first basho that i watched live. so the rush of becoming really into a new thing combined with the improbability of it all. good poo poo.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I would trade but I have three total garbagemen and can't pick which one should go my honour does not allow it.

I too will display the principles of hinkaku and gaman and choose not to trade any of my roster.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I would like to thank everyone who traded Roga for removing the pressure from him and allowing him to win today.

But also, I think I'm on course to live the life of Bushozan (and many others probably, he's the one that sticks out to me).

Seems I just got promoted and will be back down to Juryo next tournament

In other news: HakWHOho? It's all about Atamifuji. Off to another flawless start. I expect he'll be beeboppin around M3-sanyaku all next year.

Kotonowaka really seems to have hit a stride. I suppose we'll have to see how the second week treats him when he's against the other sanyaku folks.

I love Ura but I am feeling justified in not picking him. His last performance at M1 was similarly dismal.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 22, 2023

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Man Atamifuji is just looking unstoppable now that he's got his head on straight, really good to see him continuing to kick rear end.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Still great sumo out on the clay, love to see Kotonowaka living up to my dreams of him. Also, I've gotta say, seeing Hakuoho, Atamifuji, and Onosato coming up for Miyagino, Isegahama, and Nishonoseki is a dream second generation.

Average Lettuce posted:

Could I trade Oho for either Tamawashi or Ichiyamamoto? If none of those are available, Sadanoumi.

You get Tamawashi for day 5!

Day 4 standings

Makuuchi
code:
15	anakha
15	Communist Thoughts
15	Ice Phisherman
15	Iron Chef Nex
15	Khizan
14	MalarkeyToboggan
14	Xerzes
13	Akiosan
13	Banana Canada
13	Teddybear
13	Thauros
12	Average Lettuce
12	Brut
12	Kenning
12	Mode 7
12	Netsky
12	NuclearPotato
12	whats for dinner
11	Crusty Nutsack
11	Fluffdaddy
11	GoatSeeGuy
11	Jobbo_Fett
11	Marching Powder
11	Pakled
11	Tiny Bug Child
11	Vargatron
10	bartolimu
10	Everyones Favorite Poster
10	Helianthus Annuus
10	Kuros
10	pseudodragon
10	Robviously
10	Saturnine Aberrance
9	captainblastum
9	Lid
8	Charles Gnarwin
7	MyChemicalImbalance
7	Nativity In Black
Juryo
code:
12	bessantj
12	Dead Goon
12	rare Magic card l00k
12	Samuel L. Hacksaw
11	Kennedy
11	NTRabbit
11	Takuan
11	Winter Stormer
10	Ben Nerevarine
10	Bentai
10	Fearless
10	Liquid Communism
10	oldskool
9	Beexoffel
9	Biosys
9	Boogalo
9	Octatonic
9	QuasiQuack
9	ullerrm
8	Chinook
8	Kerrzhe
8	Log082
7	Eldoop
7	Gaghskull
7	PJ
7	Rags to Liches
6	FART BOSS
6	ImplicitAssembler
6	KungFu Grip
6	Medenmath
6	Single Tight Female
6	Taffy Torpedo

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Can I please trade Tohakuryu for Ichiyamamoto?

I'm allowing myself this trade because Tohakuryu is not one of My Boys.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Been some good drunk uncles tonight.

*edit*
Top division match of the night was Gonoyama v Hoshoryu, more for the mind game poo poo than the actual fight.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 16, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The best possible record anyone could have at this point would have been 23-2 if they had gotten Hoshoryu-Kotonowaka-Nishikigi-Atamufuji-Ichiyamamoto.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Definitely regretting picking Ura over my main man Nishikigi. I love Ura, but his anti-gravity drive seems to be malfunctioning against the sanyaku.

With Roga too, I KNEW that that inadvertent step out on the first day was gonna mess with him. Maybe things will turn around for him in week 2.

Not trading though. Let the chips fall where they may.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bentai posted:

Gonoyama v Hoshoryu, more for the mind game poo poo than the actual fight.

coming to appreciate this aspect of sumo is what unlocks a solid appreciation for what goes into these often seconds long matches. you also get to sound like a lunatic when you try and get your friends to appreciate the craft.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 5:

Looks like Hoshoryu got called to the principal's office:

https://nishispo.nishinippon.co.jp/article/801566 posted:

Referee slams Shoryu Toyo, who doesn't touch him. ``It's too bad.'' The situation in the arena is a commotion. ``Yokozuna and Ozeki are role models for sumo wrestlers.'' [Sumo Kyushu venue]

Ozeki Toyoshoryu maintained his complete victory, but the length of the fight caused an uproar in the hall. His opponent, Gonoyama, made a move, but Toyoshoryu did not even show any signs of making a move for over a minute before Gonoyama stood up and started the fight again. The second meeting didn't go well either.

After the match, the chief judge, Master Kumekawa (former Komusubi Inazuma), called Toyo Shoryu into the referee room and warned him, ``It's too tantalizing. Yokozuna and ozeki have to set an example for sumo wrestlers.'' Afterwards, the boss was interviewed by the press and said, ``It's too bad.'' He pointed out sternly, ``My opponent has one hand on his hands. If he was concentrating, he should be able to stand up.''

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Beeswax posted:

Day 5:

Looks like Hoshoryu got called to the principal's office:

i didn't read your post, just what you quoted, and i thought i was having a loving stroke or something because i have never even heard the loving name toyo shoryu, and he had somehow just appeared at the rank of ozeki. no poo poo lol i your post made me think i was having a medical emergency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Marching Powder posted:

i didn't read your post, just what you quoted, and i thought i was having a loving stroke or something because i have never even heard the loving name toyo shoryu, and he had somehow just appeared at the rank of ozeki. no poo poo lol i your post made me think i was having a medical emergency

Yeah I put that down to google translate having an aneurysm with Japanese or something.