Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

So basically...go back to the Agents of Shield and Netflix-verse model.

"Spotlights."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

X-O posted:

About goddamn time. His antics have gone on for far too long.

“United States vs. Coyote” would make for a great sequel if this one actually gets to see the light of day.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

X-O posted:

About goddamn time. His antics have gone on for far too long.

Destroying those rock arches and weird pillars which formed over tens of thousands of years of erosion is a serious crime.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Splint Chesthair posted:

“Peacemaker vs. Coyote” would make for a great sequel if this one actually gets to see the light of day.

fixed that for you

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Question for those who have seen Marvels, is it kid safe? I have a seven year old boy that I was thinking of taking.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
You all know Coyote vs Acme is just a backdoor pilot for Animal Man right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Darth Brooks posted:

Question for those who have seen Marvels, is it kid safe? I have a seven year old boy that I was thinking of taking.

There's some light swearing but that's about it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Darth Brooks posted:

There's a couple of shits in it, but other than that, it's pretty kids safe.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

muscles like this! posted:

There's some light swearing but that's about it.

I mean it has Sam Jackson in it but they didn't even do a winky MFr

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the main characters are girls so he might get cooties

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Darth Brooks posted:

There's a silly to us scene towards the end that may be a little scary if your seven year old is a little bitch!

But seriously, there's a chase/monster sequence that will have the whole theater laughing, but might be a bit scary. I'm sure hearing everyone else laughing along with the song that plays will make it fine, but little kids are weird and the headsup will help. I'd let him watch.

\\/\/\/ that's what I thought, looks human but 300 years old

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 15, 2023

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The big guy who works for Saber, he's asgardian right?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i don't think it's ever stated outright but from his age that what i assumed

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

twistedmentat posted:

Gabe?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

His name is Dag and is played by Abraham Popoola. I was wondering if he was from Wakanda but when he said how old he was I thought he could be magical. I had forgotten whether all Asgardians live for thousands of years or if that was just the upper and ruling classes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Going by Agents of SHIELD all live extremely long. They had an episode where Peter McNicholl played a regular Asgardian who had run away to Earth and was just living here for hundreds of years.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Darth Brooks posted:

My friends six-year-old daughter liked it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Fortune has an article based on the MCU book that was mentioned earlier in the thread about the theory that Kevin Feige's promotion to not having to be involved in the day-to-day stuff on movies hurt them.

I haven't read the book, but this sounds like a pretty thorough summary of the book's thesis and reporting.

quote:

A major reason for the film’s flop is that the workload placed on Marvel’s chief creative engine, president Kevin Feige, is starting to catch up with him, according to the authors of the recently published MCU: The Reign of Marvel Studios.

Feige was the man most responsible for delivering Marvel’s string of blockbusters, starting with 2008’s Iron Man, and turning the studio into a dominant player in Hollywood. But as Marvel’s ambitions grew and the studio churned out an increasing number of streaming shows to go along with its usual theatrical releases, it has struggled to stretch Feige’s talents, Dave Gonzales, Gavin Edwards, and longtime pop culture journalist and chronicler of superhero movies Joanna Robinson write in MCU. Since Disney—Marvel’s parent company—launched its Disney+ streaming service in 2019, Feige has been overextended, they argue.

Under Feige’s leadership, Marvel has produced 33 movies, nine shows, and grossed around $29 billion in total box office sales in 15 years. Known for characters’ trademark quippiness, over-the-top visual special effects, and inspiring legions of nerds into thinking they’re cool, Marvel movies have meant big business because they guaranteed a minimum level of quality that promised box office receipts ranging from good to historic. Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame became the highest-grossing movie ever at its 2019 release when it made $2.8 billion worldwide. Even the studio’s lowest-grossing movie ever, 2008’s The Incredible Hulk, was still plenty profitable, making $265 million on a $150 million budget.

Friday’s release of The Marvels shows that the weight placed on Feige’s shoulders is starting to exact its price—from Marvel’s box office returns.

quote:

‘The irreplaceable man’

After Disney bought Marvel for $4 billion in 2009, Feige earned Bob Iger’s trust almost instantly. The longtime Disney CEO recognized the value Feige brought to Marvel and was more than happy to keep him in place once the acquisition was complete, according to the book. In one of their first meetings, Feige laid out his vision for the perpetually sequelized movies that would culminate in regular crossovers, and Iger replied: “seemed brilliant to me.”

Feige is widely credited with being the creative steward behind Marvel’s plethora of movies and shows. Having a single individual responsible for the studio’s entire output was critical to executing Marvel’s revolutionary idea of making all of its movies and television shows interconnected. (Although the idea to make endless sequels was the brainchild of David Maisel, who MCU calls a critical and unfairly overlooked executive in Marvel’s history.) Marvel needed at least one person who could see the entire chessboard.

quote:

Feige is even credited with conceiving of the “Marvel method,” a new way to produce movies in which reshoots were essentially baked into the development process, Robinson says. After a first round of filming, Feige would watch a cut of the movie, offer feedback, and then send the actors and crew back out to the set for another round of shoots.

Until Feige was forced to increase Marvel’s output to precarious levels, the process had always worked because he has “such an unerring compass for a blockbuster movie tastemaking,” Robinson says.

quote:

‘Stretched too thin’

But when Disney released its Disney+ streaming service in 2019, the studio was forced to increase its output to satisfy the streamer’s ever-growing demand for content.

“In the era of Peak TV, Disney+ needed Marvel shows fast, and to stay competitive, it wanted a lot of them,” the book’s authors write. “Feige essentially had a blank check for television programming, so long as he could deliver volume.”

Having to crank out a raft of streaming shows, in addition to Marvel’s regular slate of movies, left Feige’s creative guidance in short supply.

“Kevin [Feige] can’t physically do what he used to do for [just] two to three movies a year, for two or three movies a year plus all these Disney+ shows,” Robinson, who also cohosts the superhero-themed House of R podcast, tells Fortune. “You see this massive dropoff in quality across the board, because the man is stretched too thin.”

Marvel and Disney, anticipating the new demand for content might affect quality, tried to head off the problem by establishing the Marvel Parliament, a committee of longtime producers that was meant to take over some of Feige’s duties, according to the book. But even this new consortium struggled to replicate Feige’s talents.

“They’re brilliant people, they have great ideas, but they can’t do what Kevin can do,” Robinson says.

quote:

The aura of creative invincibility that surrounded Marvel has been punctured of late. Some recent Disney+ shows, including Secret Invasion and She-Hulk: Attorney at Law, have been critically lambasted—words like “dull,” “uninspired,” and even “soulless” were thrown around. Disney CEO Iger himself seemingly acknowledged that the quality of some of Disney’s latest releases was lackluster, telling investors earlier this week it “wasn’t really up to the standards that we set for ourselves.” He made a similar point in July.

“They’ve got a successor problem,” says Edwards. “There is no obvious person I think is going to take the next step. [Feige] is the irreplaceable man right now.”

That’s partly because of Feige’s unique mix of entertainment business acumen and creative disposition, according to Robinson and Gonzales. Before becoming an executive, Feige was an aspiring director who was rejected from film school five times.

“We don’t know how you teach taste to someone,” Robinson says. “It’s too artistic, what Kevin Feige does, and that is extremely unusual for an executive or a head of a studio. I think he could teach someone to, like, run a meeting or manage relationships or all these other things that an executive has to do, but I don’t think he can teach the art of what he does.”

https://fortune.com/2023/11/13/the-marvels-studio-kevin-feige-replacement-marvel-studios-mcu/amp/

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
She-Hulk, a show about a female superhero fighting back against the chauvinists who don't think she deserves her power, wasn't critically lambasted, it was hated by fans. Feels like a pretty big detail.

And the whole thing about Feige reminds me of reports that he loved working with Raimi because he didn't need babysitting.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Weird to say "hated by fans" generally but specifically for SheHulk I don't think anyone who hated it was a fan. A marvel fan generally maybe, but not of She Hulk

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I mean I was a fan and I loved it

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

maybeadracula posted:

Weird to say "hated by fans" generally but specifically for SheHulk I don't think anyone who hated it was a fan. A marvel fan generally maybe, but not of She Hulk

Non-critics, based on its 32% audience score at Rotten Tomatoes.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

live with fruit posted:

Again, I think the point here is fans weren’t bashing it or review bombing it. The dweebs the show was dunking on did that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

live with fruit posted:

Yeah, that one definitely isn't accurate.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

live with fruit posted:

She-Hulk, a show about a female superhero fighting back against the chauvinists who don't think she deserves her power, wasn't critically lambasted, it was hated by fans. Feels like a pretty big detail.

And the whole thing about Feige reminds me of reports that he loved working with Raimi because he didn't need babysitting.

The critics may have been commenting on some of the rough CGI, which I could see as them saying "looked uncanny and soulless at times" only to have the word "soulless" quote-pulled later out of context as though it was in reference to the show itself.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Nobody who was a fan of the She-Hulk comics can ever say the show isn't spot on when compared to the source material. Chuds may have hated the show, but they are just fake comic reader bois when they make a claim that "Marvel ruined it" because holy poo poo it could not be more comics accurate.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

live with fruit posted:

lmao at using easily brigaded user scores like that

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah She Hulk was really funny and good, the haters can suck it from the back

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The lack of accuracy is the point.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

live with fruit posted:

The lack of accuracy is the point.

.....no it isn't. You made a stupid assertion and got called out roundly

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

She Hulk was great as were Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, Hawkeye, Loki and parts of Wandavison

SI was awful but I wonder what the scripts that were tossed away were. There was so much potential in the idea of mixing superspys with an invasion of aliens that could change their look at a glance. Instead we got a warmed over NCIS script featuring aliens that never changed their looks.

Soonmot posted:

There's a silly to us scene towards the end that may be a little scary if your seven year old is a little bitch!

But seriously, there's a chase/monster sequence that will have the whole theater laughing, but might be a bit scary. I'm sure hearing everyone else laughing along with the song that plays will make it fine, but little kids are weird and the headsup will help. I'd let him watch.

\\/\/\/ that's what I thought, looks human but 300 years old

He would insist that he was OK with it. He's been playing the LEGO Jurassic Park games and insisted he could deal with the scarier scenes. I skipped past Dennis Nedry's death and he was complaining "Dad, I know Nedry gets killed by the Dilophosaurus." I explained to him that there was a difference between knowing that a character dies and seeing them realistically torn apart while screaming. I know kids can deal with more than adults think they can. As the same point I don't want to take a casual attitude toward a potentially scarring moment.

He will probably see the movie on Disney plus after his mom and I have seen it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

.....no it isn't. You made a stupid assertion and got called out roundly

My point was that She-Hulk was good and that Fortune shouldn't promote the idea that it wasn't because the people who the literal antagonists of the show were based on have poisoned the well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
nedry's death isn't even shown on screen

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Darth Brooks posted:

I know kids can deal with more than adults think they can. As the same point I don't want to take a casual attitude toward a potentially scarring moment.

You're gonna make your kid weird (lame and bad version) instead of weird (cool and good version) by preventing him from seeing some bizarre and upsetting movie thing that will stick in his mind like a splinter. Kids need some grit in there to start forming the pearls that constitute a good personality and sense of humor.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

He's already a weird and cool kid.He wants to make a detective agency with his aunt (another aunt is the main suspect) and he's been putting together quizzes for me that feature animal facts. At five his favorite continent was Antarctica. He writes stories and has me staple the pages together.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Okay yeah that's pretty good. :hmmyes: He probably saw the scene in Terminator 2 where Arnold degloves his arm flesh or something on YouTube already when you weren't looking.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

He'll see some stuff that I watch and occasionally get obsessed. Loves the plant lady on Animalogic, Mark Rober, Lateral with Tom Scott, watching a dude play Path of Titans on a realism server and the sillier stuff on Bo Time gaming.

It's going to be interesting watching him grow up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

live with fruit posted:

My point was that She-Hulk was good and that Fortune shouldn't promote the idea that it wasn't because the people who the literal antagonists of the show were based on have poisoned the well.

Yea, she hulk was hated by the people who it was about. That's not surprising. it was probably the most TV of the shows, you had a half hour format where She Hulk takes a case, and by the end the case is solved, and then in between that was a meta narrative. It is how these should be done. Wandavision was good for that too, with each episode being a different eras tv and its own self contained story but building up to something at the end. It may have stumbled a bit at the end but overall it was a TV show that could be compared to other serialized shows like Mad Men or Breaking Bad; each episode has a plot that has elements of something bigger but that episode is about this one specific thing.

I hope the whole uncoupling the movies and D+ shows just means they won't make any huge changes to things just in TV shows. Just having the shows be "here's more adventures with your characters" or maybe just stuff that wouldn't work fully as a movie either because the character wouldn't work or there's more story to be told.

At least Sam was given the shield at the end of Endgame, so him being cap in cap 4 won't be too much of a surprise. Also, i feel like the concept of "show, don't tell" has been followed obessively. You can't have ANYTHING happen off screen, everything must be shown in detail or it cannot be included in the story. You can't have a character show up and have a new skill and say "Oh yea i've been practicing for the past 5 months", you need to have a limited series explaining it.

I always remember that Patton Oswalt bit "I don't care where the poo poo i love comes from, i just love the poo poo I love". I remember there being a handful of people upset that Homecoming did not feature Peter being bit or Uncle Ben's death, but those people got told to shut up because jesus christ we don't need to see that stuff ever again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Watching she hulk again rn gently caress the haters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

Darth Brooks posted:

Marvel movies are made for kids dude