Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PFL champion are you most looking forward to seeing this month?
This poll is closed.
Olivier Aubin-Mercier 1 3.85%
Larissa Pacheco 4 15.38%
Sadibou Sy 1 3.85%
Lance Palmer 0 0%
Nicco Montano 1 3.85%
Alexander Shlemenko 2 7.69%
Bobby Southworth 3 11.54%
Hardcore Holly 14 53.85%
Total: 26 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

beep by grandpa posted:

was the main card all finishes?

if there was 20 mins of cage action total i'd be stunned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Marching Powder posted:

if there was 20 mins of cage action total i'd be stunned.

21:33 is what i've got

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

LobsterMobster posted:

21:33 is what i've got

god drat.

e. is that a record?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Time wise just over 4 of a possible 19 rounds lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

wikipedia is saying that every winner on the main card got a potn 50k which is well earned.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

god drat.

e. is that a record?

ufc 1 has it beat

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

god drat.

e. is that a record?

Yeah, if you're going all the way back to antiquity you can't really beat the first. Having googled around, your shortest of the at-all-regulated era is UFC 29 with 19:10, your shortest of the recognizable as modern era is UFC 91 with 19:23, and your shortest of the actual modern era is 261 with 20:56 because gently caress Jorge Masvidal.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

CarlCX posted:

loving fantastic card, delivered wonderfully, wish I smoked so I could go smoke.

But also they announced this during the show, and man, UFC, you're just being cruel.

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1723556383784669618

Lol, yikes

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CarlCX posted:

261 with 20:56 because gently caress Jorge Masvidal.

usman starching him was sick. also interesting to see andrade appeared at 261 getting elbowed to death by valentina and 295 beating the poo poo out of dern. also not happy to remember weidman shattering his entire leg in 17 seconds. otherwise, very cool.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

What makes this card really fantastic is that sometimes early finishes feel supremely unsatisfying, like we could have had a great fight that we didn't get to see. All of these fights felt like we got a complete fight and story that climaxed in a brutal finish.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

How long have the temporary tattoo logos on the body been a thing? In one of those clips both fighters are pretty much covered in them and I dont remember seeing them like that before.

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.

Orange Carlisle posted:

How long have the temporary tattoo logos on the body been a thing? In one of those clips both fighters are pretty much covered in them and I dont remember seeing them like that before.

KSW and other Polish promotions have been doing it for years.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Orange Carlisle posted:

Boxing has been doing it for at least 20 years.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

that's wild then that I hadn't come across it until now even in clips I'd seen

thanks for the info

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Aspinall looks so quick. Anything cam happen with heavyweights but drat. Would love to see him against Gane/Tuivasa/Lewis

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Aspinall looks so quick. Would love to see him against Gane

Hell yeah. I thought the same thing last night watching him fight.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Given the ease with which Aspinall grounded Volkov, I think Aspinall/Gane is on the ground within about ninety seconds.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
It sucks for Tom his one UFC loss is his knee exploding 15 seconds into a fight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's just Chito's posting a pic of him with Trump, but it's weird that Threads isn't loaded with chuds in the comments

https://www.threads.net/@chitoveraufc/post/Czjn0OfASHd/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

It's just Chito's posting a pic of him with Trump, but it's weird that Threads isn't loaded with chuds in the comments

https://www.threads.net/@chitoveraufc/post/Czjn0OfASHd/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

No ones on threads.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BlindSite posted:

No ones on threads.

Only leftists bagging on Trump and Dana, which isn't strange given who wants to leave Twitter.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jamahal Hill says he wants to come back, beat Pereira, and then go up to heavyweight and fight Tom Aspinall.

In the past four weeks we've now had Volkanovski going after Makhachev, Makhachev calling for a fight with the winner of Edwards/Covington, Edwards calling dibs on the winner of Strickland vs du Plessis, Pereira winning the 205 belt and then calling out Israel Adesanya, and now, Hill talking about using the 205 belt to go to heavyweight.

I miss weight classes.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

CarlCX posted:

Jamahal Hill says he wants to come back, beat Pereira, and then go up to heavyweight and fight Tom Aspinall.

In the past four weeks we've now had Volkanovski going after Makhachev, Makhachev calling for a fight with the winner of Edwards/Covington, Edwards calling dibs on the winner of Strickland vs du Plessis, Pereira winning the 205 belt and then calling out Israel Adesanya, and now, Hill talking about using the 205 belt to go to heavyweight.

I miss weight classes.

somewhere in mississipi, the just bleed guy instinctively blows the dust off his old grease paint

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i think i posted before that i would watch adesanya and pereira fight until time stopped. same with any combination of poirier / gaethje / chandler / oliveira.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
:siren: B-League Round-Up :siren:

Bellator 301

Well, it’s finally here, the last Bellator. It’s been quite the ride. The early days of The Toughest Tournament in Sports, Ben Askren, Cole Konrad, the Brothers Pitbull.

Wait, no. This isn’t right. Bellator shouldn’t get a eulogy, at least not right now. There are fifty-leven prelims to cover and none of these guys are going to show up next year in the new horrifying PFL/Bellator amalgam, so let’s just jump into the card.

We open things off with some middle-aged Featherweights, as Yves “You Know” Landu takes on Isao Kobayashi. Kobayashi is I guess the current Pancrase champ, but he has not fought since 2021. Also, since it’s Pancrase, his ratio of title defenses to just normal fights is very silly. Landu is ok, nothing spectacular, but he’s been far more active. Also, Kobayashi is 0-2 in Bellator, but those came back in 2015-6, and he’s gone 9-1 since then.

Up next, undefeated Ramazan Kuramagomedov faces Randall Wallace, a veteran of Urijah Faber’s A1 Combat. Matheus Mattos takes on Richard Palencia, and the only reason I shine a light on this bout is both guys have been out for a year with leg injuries. Mattos got his one fight after beating Cee Jay Hamilton, and Palencia got his losing to Cee Jay Hamilton. That’s kind of neat, right?

Keri Taylor-Melendez returns to the Circlegon for the first time since 2020 to take on “The Turkish Fighter” Sabriye Sengul. Sengul is 3-3 with a win and loss each by KO, submission, and decision, aka the most well-balanced fighter of all time.

Undefeated Archie Colgan faces Pieter Buist, and Islam Mamedov looks to get back to his winning ways against Killys Mota. Sumiko Inaba puts her undefeated record on the line against Denise Kielholtz in what might have been a title eliminator if Bellator was a going concern for 2024.

We’ve got yet another undefeated fighter in action as Timur Khizriev faces Justin Gonzales. The prelims finish in the best way possible with a TRASHWEIGHT bout. Tyrell Fortune takes on Marcelo Golm.

Now we head to the main card, and there’s not a fight about 155 pounds, which is ideal.

It wouldn’t be a Bellator finale without a Pitbull brother, so here’s Patricky taking on Alexander Shabily in the Lightweight Grand Prix Semi-Finals. This feels like a throwback because Shabily is just a regular, non-Dagestani Russian. Bellator hasn’t had one of those in the lower weight classes in like 8 years!

AJ McKee takes on Sidney Outlaw. McKee has bounced back from his dreadful rematch against Patricio Pitbull to rack up a pair of decision wins. Outlaw most recently beat Islam Mamedov, but missed weight, so he is most shameful. Despite that, his Tapology profile is great, because he clearly entered his own information. College: School of pain. Coach: Jesus Christ. Foundation Style: Win. Other Coaches: Life. Hell yeah, Sid!

Next up, we’ve got a rematch that nobody should have asked for. Raufeon Stots faces Danny Sabatello. They met last year in the Bantamweight Grand Prix, and while Sabatello showed some good wrestling takedown skills, he did precisely zero things after securing the takedown. Most people scored the fight 48-47 for Stots, but everyone’s favorite addle-pated uncle, Doug Crosby had it 50-45 for Sabatello.

In the CO MAIN EVENT OF THE EVENING, Sergio Pettis defends the Bantamweight title against Interim Bantamweight champ and Grand Prix winner, Patchy Mix. This fight should be real fuckin rad!

In the main event, Yaroslav Amosov defends the Welterweight title against Jason “The rear end-Kicking Machine” Jackson. Jackson is on a six fight win streak, including old-rear end Strasser Kunimoto, welterweight Bendo Hendo, and literally just A Gracie. Amosov, who’s primary gym is called Germs and his secondary is the Mortal Kombat character Ermak, is 27-0, looking for title defense number two.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's a very Bellator thing to have grand prix semi final on what possibly could be their last could card.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

It's a very Bellator thing to have grand prix semi final on what possibly could be their last could card.

it's also fitting that the active champ of the grand prix got stripped for doin illegal steroid drugs. even in its death throes, bellator manages to be funny

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

amosov and mix deserve better than bellator and also deserve better than the UFC

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

it's also fitting that the active champ of the grand prix got stripped for doin illegal steroid drugs. even in its death throes, bellator manages to be funny

Bellator actually decided not to strip him, because he only took prescribed medication so it wasn't PEDs and can't have impacted the fight so he doesn't need to lose the title.

But they endorse the fight being an NC and say it needs to have an instant rematch.

Thank you for your public service in making Bellator make sense, lobmob. It is a great burden and I hope you are stuck with it for another couple years of Bellatoring.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Could be just me being lame but does right now seem like one of the worst stretches UFC has seen in a while? As far as upcoming fights, possible upcoming fights, current champions and up and comers, etc. I don't think I'm like outgrowing it or anything, but I feel significantly less interested these last few months and to me it feels like it's because the product has seen a reduction in quality

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

All that Trumpy bullshit with Jr and Tucker Carlson getting screen time has me wondering the same thing.

Like, maybe I'm not the target audience anymore and maybe I never was.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the pretence of the UFC being part of a sport was much stronger in the pre-Conor days

he heralded the end

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

beep by grandpa posted:

Could be just me being lame but does right now seem like one of the worst stretches UFC has seen in a while? As far as upcoming fights, possible upcoming fights, current champions and up and comers, etc. I don't think I'm like outgrowing it or anything, but I feel significantly less interested these last few months and to me it feels like it's because the product has seen a reduction in quality

There have been issues putting together interesting matches for a while now. Some divisions have been cleared out or have a dominant dude who doesn’t seem likely to win. It also feels they’re not developing newer guys in the top 10 who could be part of those matchups.

It also feels like fighter activity is getting to be a real problem. Lots of dudes only seem to be fighting once a year at best. I’m not sure if it’s because pay is so lovely or what, but I don’t remember it being like this. It almost feels like guys are not committing to fights so they can wait for a title contender to drop out and come in at the last minute for a huge payday and big name fight.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

beep by grandpa posted:

AndyElusive posted:

All that Trumpy bullshit with Jr and Tucker Carlson getting screen time has me wondering the same thing.

Like, maybe I'm not the target audience anymore and maybe I never was.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the pretence of the UFC being part of a sport was much stronger in the pre-Conor days

he heralded the end

Agree on all these posts. My waning of the UFC has been since late last year, but it's been significant.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Kragger99 posted:

Agree on all these posts. My waning of the UFC has been since late last year, but it's been significant.

i'm one foot out and in. my enjoyment of the sport died with the oversaturation of the cards and a roster size only carl, lobmob, and like 5 other people on earth can wrangle.

i can't say the trump poo poo isn't absolutely abhorrent, but the ufc and it's fans have always been a piece of poo poo and the fighters run the gamut from joe son (gang rapist) to sage northcutt (bathes with his sister as christian adults under the supervision of his lunatic father. i assume.) have always been the worst. if anything the mainstreaming of it means there's more people not wearing tapoout shirts in the crowd.

that said i just had a loving ball watching 295.

the ufc has it's issues, but at the end of the day, i like to watch humans fighting. they do their thing i'll tune in whenever it's convenient.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

i'm one foot out and in. my enjoyment of the sport died with the oversaturation of the cards and a roster size only carl, lobmob, and like 5 other people on earth can wrangle.

i can't say the trump poo poo isn't absolutely abhorrent, but the ufc and it's fans have always been a piece of poo poo and the fighters run the gamut from joe son (gang rapist) to sage northcutt (bathes with his sister as christian adults under the supervision of his lunatic father. i assume.) have always been the worst. if anything the mainstreaming of it means there's more people not wearing tapoout shirts in the crowd.

that said i just had a loving ball watching 295.

the ufc has it's issues, but at the end of the day, i like to watch humans fighting. they do their thing i'll tune in whenever it's convenient.

Basically where I'm at

If I had to sum up current UFC in a sentence it'd be "they finally got big enough they can do whatever they want", and I don't know whether the peak of that is USADA's Gone So Conor Can Finally Fight Again At His Most Blatantly Roided Ever, or Jon Jones Gets His Own Heavyweight Belt Despite Injuries And Arrests While The Heavyweight Division Has Another Champ Who He'll Never Fight When He Returns. But. We're definitely at a peak right now

As long as stuff like 295 keeps happening I'll stay focusing on what's on-screen, but I'd be lying if I said the off-screen stuff isn't currently surreal enough I don't blame anyone for either not wanting to focus on UFC all because of it, or just wanting to focus on that specifically over any fight UFC could air

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 15, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've also noticed that the UFC matchmaking now falls off hard during football season. Like if you look into February you'll see they're starting to book actually matches again

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
One thing I started to notice a few years back was feeling very unfulfilled more often than not after dishing out $65-75 CDN per PPV. It was such a gamble to actually get a great card. It's almost like the champs were often fighting to "not lose" instead of "to win", and the undercards where fighters were trying to make a name for themselves were the only good fights (when it wasn't a wrestler just holding down a striker for 3 rds).

In addition, some of the fight nights weren't broadcast up in Canada, and that made it harder to keep up with.

Also, I've lost touch with the friends that used to get together for the PPV's (probably for the best), so the only people I talk about MMA with is here, and I post like ~4 times a year.

If it wasn't for this thread, I'd probably not watch MMA at all due to the above factors. The One Friday fights have been a shining beacon in the darkness of the UFC for me lately.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I’ll still watch, but since Aldo-Conor I haven’t paid full price, and after USADA-Conor I won’t pay full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i still get irl mad thinking about not getting to see them fight for a few minutes.

to be straight up conor did one of the best mind game lead ups to a fight i've ever seen. for months leading up to it conor was saying 'i would really like jose aldo to get mad and charge directly at my most powerful weapon' and aldo looked annoyed for a few months before instantly capitulating.