Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TDepressionEarl posted:

haha this sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

game’s gone (but unironically)

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
International football is (now even more) poo poo.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
So 2038 is between Italy/Switzerland, Germany, and England then

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

So 1938 is between Italy/Switzerland, Germany, and England then

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Anniversary games are a big deal

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It would be great for a world cup to be at a nice place to visit and not some hosed up hell hole like Saudi Arabi or The United States of America.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

algebra testes posted:

It would be great for a world cup to be at a nice place to visit and not some hosed up hell hole like Saudi Arabi or The United States of America.

Don't worry you'll get the crumbling state of the UK in euro 2028 or whenever it is

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

algebra testes posted:

tbf in 2026 you can also visit two of Canada's three cities

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

vyelkin posted:

tbf in 2026 you can also visit two of Canada's three cities

I'm sure they'll put on a bus

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Been looking at some balloon door stats because I'm a cool and interesting person and Lionel has more balloons than any *country* other than Argentina (which just has his eight) which feels a bit silly really

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

sebzilla posted:

Been looking at some balloon door stats because I'm a cool and interesting person and Lionel has more balloons than any *country* other than Argentina (which just has his eight) which feels a bit silly really

it's a silly old game

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

sebzilla posted:

Argentina (which just has his eight)

Kind of crazy when you think about it. Batistuta? Maradona?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Kind of crazy when you think about it. Batistuta? Maradona?

Maradona was never eligible really

quote:

Prior to 2007, the award was generally known as the continental European Footballer of the Year award in English language and much international media. Even after 2007, it was usually identified with and referred to by that name because of its origin as a European award, until it was merged with FIFA's World Player award cementing its new worldwide claim. Liberia's George Weah, the only African recipient, became the first non-European to win the award in 1995, the year that rules of eligibility were changed. Ronaldo of Brazil became the first South American winner two years later.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
And if you want to look farther afield, the FIFA World Player of the Year award only came into existence in 1991 and only ever had one Argentine winner - Messi in 2009, the year before it merged with the Ballon d'Or. Batistuta came 3rd in 1999 but he's the only other Argentine who ever made the top three.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Ballon D'or did create a new retrospective award called Le nouveau palmarès which was about trying to give award to South American players that would have won it had they been eligible.
They didn't retract the original winners, but issued these awards as a kind of recognition they would have won if they were allowed to

Pele would have won 7, Maradona 2, kempes, romario and garrincha 1 each. So Brazil would have had 14 to Argetina's 11.

In Brazil no one really cared about Ballon d'or until the merger.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Tbh the whole thing has been ruined because they leak the result to Fabrizio romano for some reason.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Tbh the whole thing has been ruined because they leak the result to Fabrizio romano for some reason.

he has to have time to spin up Dall-e2 for images to tweet

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
This is neat

https://twitter.com/2BallsandaMic/status/1721942629745868907

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol at still calling up henderson

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Kelvin Phillips

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Southgate sticking to the players he knows and trusts and winding up the right people for two meaningless games against minnows is good enough for me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

britishbornandbread posted:

Southgate sticking to the players he knows and trusts and winding up the right people for two meaningless games against minnows is good enough for me.

Can we ban harry Maguire

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

Jose posted:

Can we ban harry Maguire

I dunno, what’s his user name?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Jose posted:

Can we ban harry Maguire

From what?

Harry Maguire-hate is so dull and cliche.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Also, haven't you heard? He's cool now, like smoking.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Reece James looked at how many people were coming back from international breaks dead and said no thanks I'd rather not play these two meaningless matches when I'm recovering from an injury and England already qualified, and Southgate responded by threatening not to pick him for the Euros because he's clearly not committed to the team

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Maddison is apparently now out with a injury till start of next year. Could see Eze coming instead of him since he is now back from injury and was called up few months ago.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Reece James looked at how many people were coming back from international breaks dead and said no thanks I'd rather not play these two meaningless matches when I'm recovering from an injury and England already qualified, and Southgate responded by threatening not to pick him for the Euros because he's clearly not committed to the team

If managers hadn’t hosed around historically with ‘injuries’ to the point the call up and assessment regime had to be implemented it’d all be fine.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

vyelkin posted:

He’s not getting in ahead of Walker, Trippier or Trent anyway.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
England should play with 10 RBs against Malta, for fun

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

If managers hadn’t hosed around historically with ‘injuries’ to the point the call up and assessment regime had to be implemented it’d all be fine.

Given the current state of football, those managers were geniuses ahead of their time

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
I'm going to Wembley on Friday to take my eight year old to his first ever game. Spent a week showing him Bellingham highlights :doh:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Quizzlefish posted:

I'm going to Wembley on Friday to take my eight year old to his first ever game. Spent a week showing him Bellingham highlights :doh:

Starting the disappointment early, smart

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's coming home

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Israel Switzerland will be played tonight at the Puskas Akademia stadium, it's the crazy one that Orban had built for his local club.

https://twitter.com/TheSportsman/status/1417462146347188242

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Shaq will feel right at home in that hobbit-rear end shire-stadium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Is there a reason no one is at Belgium/Serbia?