Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Scags McDouglas posted:

Hmmm where do I remember similar, impotent posturing. Hmmmm. HMMMM.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/976765417908776963

I know this is old, but I see Biden winning a footrace and being basically fine after and Trump winning a fistfight right before stroking out or having a heart attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

James Garfield posted:

Any internal polls probably look like the public polls. I think the right conspiracy for those articles is that the outlets are doing it to hedge against bias accusations when they report on the Trump trials.

(that and Biden really isn't doing great in the polls, it's just so early that they don't mean much and people like Nate Cohn are suggesting Trump will win in a way that makes no sense at all, based only on poll crosstabs a year in advance)

Fair enough. It's just been so laughable the last couple weeks. "Biden and the democrats are in trouble because vague reasons! Ignore the massive democratic blowout in every election since Roe vs Wade was thrown out!"

Like the centrists and left aren't wild about Biden but it's also clear as can be it's either a case of mostly bland but palatable grandpa vs. Turbo Gonorrhea for most voters.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Detailed investigative reporting in the Washington Post using what's now a well-characterized story format- an individual tragedy is used to humanize a nation-scale policy issue, in this case the lack of consistent regulation of home births and midwives.

A home birth midwife faces scrutiny after a baby dies. It’s not the first time.

Editor’s note: This story includes a video and photos of a deceased baby, which are included with the parents’ permission. The images may disturb some people.

quote:

[...]

The first-time mother was nude and too weak to stand. Paramedics tried to cover her with a blanket, but she pushed it off; the weight felt unbearable. Carr, then 65 and with short brown hair, sat on the bed and told DiVincenzo that Sophie was dead.

“I just don’t even know how this happened,” Carr said a few times, according to DiVincenzo’s account. About 16 minutes before the birth, the midwife had reported listening to the baby’s heartbeat.

Later, investigators would probe whether Carr had failed to properly monitor DiVincenzo and her baby. And DiVincenzo would learn that it was not the first time that Carr had come under scrutiny for her work as a midwife.

Officials in three states and the District of Columbia, including the U.S. attorney’s office for the District, had investigated Carr after home births she attended went wrong. In Virginia, Carr pleaded guilty to two felonies after a baby died in 2010. She served five days in jail and agreed never again to practice in the state. In Maryland, after another infant death that same year, a judge determined that Carr’s decisions during the delivery had “dire consequences.” Officials imposed a hefty fine.

However, four other investigations were resolved in her favor, either with no criminal charges or, in two administrative cases, with legal victories. Through it all, The Washington Post found, Carr continued to deliver babies.

The long-running career of Karen Carr highlights a troubling reality: A patchwork of inconsistent laws and limited accountability make it difficult for expectant parents considering a home birth to evaluate a midwife’s record and make an informed decision about one of the most critical events of their lives. Although the full scope of Carr’s history remains out of public view, The Post unearthed new details through public records that show that, over two decades, efforts by officials in multiple states to prevent her from practicing have largely failed.

[...]

Home births represent just 1.4 percent of the more than 3.6 million babies born in the United States, according to 2021 data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But they have increased by 35 percent over five years, while hospital births slightly declined over that 2017-2021 period. White mothers account for 85 percent of planned home births, according to demographic data, but Black and Hispanic people also are increasingly choosing to deliver at home amid a maternal mortality crisis that has disproportionately affected them.

Many women say they choose home births to feel empowered and have more control over their own bodies; others because they want to avoid such medical interventions as Caesarean sections and inductions. The pandemic also fueled a deeper distrust of doctors and hospitals.

Most home births in the country are attended by certified professional midwives such as Carr, who provide care through pregnancy, labor and delivery, and the postpartum period. They generally have no hospital privileges and learn mainly through apprenticeships. Many believe that giving birth is a natural part of life that needs little, if any, medical intervention. They are distinct from certified nurse midwives, who are registered nurses with graduate degrees, and certified midwives, who have graduate degrees but no nursing license; midwives in both of these categories also provide primary care.

Overall, full-term infants in the United States are more than twice as likely to die after planned home births attended by midwives as those delivered in hospitals by any providers, according to a Post analysis of CDC data over five years.

“That data does suggest at this point that the risks are higher for the baby outside of the hospital,” said Melissa Cheyney, a former certified professional midwife and Oregon State University professor who studies midwifery data. That is in part, she said, because “you have systems that are not well regulated.” She added that available data is limited by what is captured through birth certificates and that more research is needed, particularly amid the recent increase in home births.

The Cheyney quote is particularly remarkable because (as identified in the Post's new annotation system) she did deflective anti-regulatory research on behalf of a midwives industry group. At the same time, this also reflects that some of this is the different midwife professional groups engaging in a turf war.

quote:

Thirty-six states and D.C. have laws allowing certified professional midwives to seek licensure, but the rules governing their practice vary widely. Some states ban midwives from attending riskier breech or twin births, but others, including Texas, have no such restrictions. Midwives in Delaware and Louisiana, for example, must check the fetal heart rate at certain times during labor, while in other states, including Maryland, there is no such requirement. State laws even differ on what medications midwives can administer.

When something goes wrong, parents typically have limited recourse. State laws are often vague about a certified professional midwife’s obligations during a birth, making it difficult for prosecutors to try administrative or criminal cases. The credentialing body for these midwives, the North American Registry of Midwives (NARM), says it investigates a midwife only with the mother’s full consent. Lawsuits are seldom pursued, because such midwives often are not required to carry malpractice insurance.

It is difficult to know whether Carr’s career represents a broader problem of accountability among certified professional midwives. NARM says it has revoked the credentials of 10 of the more than 4,300 midwives it has certified over 30 years; Carr is not among them. Some states make complaints about midwives easily accessible to the public, but others require records requests. Sometimes, because laws have changed over decades, past allegations are not made available by the agencies that now license midwives. Clients seeking to research Carr, for instance, would find no reason for concern within a state-run database that lets the public check licensed midwives. Her entry shows nothing of her disciplinary or criminal history.

This is just the start of a really extensive article. Spoiler alert for the end: Carr is still practicing.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 15, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

Does it still only take one to call a removal vote?

Yep, the one-vote threshold is still in place. Johnson wasn't in any hurry to change it; I imagine he thought the right was going to cut him a little slack after sating themselves on McCarthy's blood.

Alkydere posted:

I wonder if the giant pile of "Biden is having troubles because (x)" articles I've seen lately are because the GOP/their handlers are looking at some truly dire internal polling and they're doing something, anything to manufacture consent.

Unlikely. It's far more likely to be the media just enjoying their horserace coverage as usual. The polls showing Trump up are real, and it's only natural that the media will cover those more than the polls showing Biden up, because Trump winning would get their audience more worked up.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

smug n stuff posted:

Some DNC social media person created a montage of the GOP's chaotic day:
https://twitter.com/BidenHQ/status/1724589066048417858
Sound on is crucial for full effect, excellent choice of soundtrack.

It's kinda funny how the republican party basically keeps cutting campaign ads for the Biden team. Who just adds a sound track on it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's kinda funny how the republican party basically keeps cutting campaign ads for the Biden team. Who just adds a sound track on it.
biden's social media team is on point. i wonder how they see these ads in chudland?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

InsertPotPun posted:

i wonder how they see these ads in chudland?

They probably love and approve of all of it. Republican house members are basically voted into office to grandstand and shout their voters’ favorite talking points.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

InsertPotPun posted:

biden's social media team is on point. i wonder how they see these ads in chudland?

Mullin made that union thug shake in his boots

Dude called that guy a Smurf :lol:

Some wimp got elbowed by McCarthy? Let the RINOs fight

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Fair enough. It's just been so laughable the last couple weeks. "Biden and the democrats are in trouble because vague reasons! Ignore the massive democratic blowout in every election since Roe vs Wade was thrown out!"

The 2022 midterms happened after the Dobbs decision. While democrats did better than expected for the party holding the White House, it seems odd to call it a massive blowout in their favor when they lost the House of Representatives, including losing the popular vote for the House (which they likely still would have lost even if they'd contested every seat).

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Sir Kodiak posted:

The 2022 midterms happened after the Dobbs decision. While democrats did better than expected for the party holding the White House, it seems odd to call it a massive blowout in their favor when they lost the House of Representatives, including losing the popular vote for the House (which they likely still would have lost even if they'd contested every seat).

It probably would have been seen as less of a victory without so much confident chortling in the previous two years that the 2022 red wave was going to be bigger (and more richly deserved!) than those of 2010 and 1994, and hammering of what massive advantages Republicans have in midterms in general and opposition Republicans in particular and y'all better just pack it in. Largely from people who had made similar confident predictions in 2018 and 2020 when Dobbs wasn't a factor, but were still being taken as connected people with sharp political instincts somehow rather than just tossing it all on red every spin.

The Dems in 2016 picked up seats in both houses of Congress and walked away with the popular vote but none of those three were easy to sell as victories since they were naturally compared to expectations of a thousand years of liberal darkness.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

InsertPotPun posted:

They don't.

It's two perfectly non-intersecting bubbles.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Think all the predictions around then were like +25 reps in the house for r's and they would take the senate. Dems keeping the senate and R's ending up +7 or whatever was a huge shock. You can get semantic about use of the word blowout if you really want to but all the reporting and general forum feelings at the time were that the midterms were a comedically disastrous showing for the gop regardless of them still taking the house. And given all the gop in disarray stuff that has gone down thanks to the freedom caucus, I find it hard to argue otherwise.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I get it if you feel "blowout" is too strong a term but in the lead up to 2022 the GOP and their outriders were touting the coming red wave - red tsunami, even - to high heaven, and then they seriously underperformed on basically every level. That they've done the same on every occasion post-16 is finally starting to scare some of them, especially because Dobbs has totally upended any hope of at least benefiting from the usual political cycle and exchange of one party for the other. Unfortunately for them (but fortunately for Biden, dems, and the online peanut gallery like us who love to hoot and holler at political fuckups) they've allowed the craziest people on the far right to have enough influence and power that course correction is nigh impossible and that's not going to change until Trump is dead or in prison.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I love this conversation about housing problems that refuses to acknowledge illegal immigration and legal immigration on the demand side of the equation. Really telling.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

I love this conversation about housing problems that refuses to acknowledge illegal immigration and legal immigration on the demand side of the equation. Really telling.

Dude, who do you think is building the new houses

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Dude, who do you think is building the new houses

Who are the racists

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

So you agree there isn't enough housing for the people here.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

So you agree there isn't enough housing for the people here.

No poo poo?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

So what do you have to add to the conversation? Or are you just going to drop a turd and ask why we're not talking about you and your giant brain?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

I needed a credit score of 700 to rent my lovely apartment that costs $1200 a month.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Failboattootoot posted:

Think all the predictions around then were like +25 reps in the house for r's and they would take the senate. Dems keeping the senate and R's ending up +7 or whatever was a huge shock. You can get semantic about use of the word blowout if you really want to but all the reporting and general forum feelings at the time were that the midterms were a comedically disastrous showing for the gop regardless of them still taking the house. And given all the gop in disarray stuff that has gone down thanks to the freedom caucus, I find it hard to argue otherwise.

Ms Adequate posted:

I get it if you feel "blowout" is too strong a term but in the lead up to 2022 the GOP and their outriders were touting the coming red wave - red tsunami, even - to high heaven, and then they seriously underperformed on basically every level. That they've done the same on every occasion post-16 is finally starting to scare some of them, especially because Dobbs has totally upended any hope of at least benefiting from the usual political cycle and exchange of one party for the other. Unfortunately for them (but fortunately for Biden, dems, and the online peanut gallery like us who love to hoot and holler at political fuckups) they've allowed the craziest people on the far right to have enough influence and power that course correction is nigh impossible and that's not going to change until Trump is dead or in prison.

these are my views. Its not perfect and i dont think we keep the senate because of the Map and etc next year but the GOP is not in a good place right now and while biden and the dems have alot of areas they need to fix or repair before 2024. Id rather be them then the GOP right now. the dems have room to fix issues and such. the GOP can't because of the base and trump mixed with doubling down on every unpopular issue.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Do you have evidence that they contribute significantly to demand? Typically illegal immigrants are in low desirability areas where housing is available due to urban concentration, or occupying black or non market housing. Worker site housing might not 100% check your ID, and a flophouse in a property that would be condemned if HUD looked at it and that would be rejected by unburdened consumers doesn't affect the market.

Legal immigrants simply have the right to participate fully. Their economic need for housing in a location is no different than anyone else's. Also not substantial numbers.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

That doesn't mean that the GOP is doing badly, it means that pollsters are doing badly. The reason there was all that talk about the red tsunami was because polls were looking real good for the GOP. Sure, they didn't perform nearly as well as the pollsters were predicting, but the polls being wrong is the pollsters' fault rather than the politicians' fault.

Putting aside media hype cycles and focusing on the actual electoral results, the Dems aren't doing all that impressive in national-level elections. They lost the House in 2022, and the extremely slim Senate majority they've had since 2020 is far tinier than the one they had for most of Obama's administration.

We're seeing lots of encouraging signs, with various overreaches by state GOPs getting firmly smacked down by voters, but there isn't really much of a sign that we should be predicting the imminent collapse of the GOP just yet.

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

The only crisis in immigration is that we so prevent and obstruct people from freely immigrating.

Migrants are not to blame for the housing disaster, profit motives and construction shortages are to blame. Why do you think preventing immigration should be our focus when such changes would not affect housing prices?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Main Paineframe posted:

That doesn't mean that the GOP is doing badly, it means that pollsters are doing badly. The reason there was all that talk about the red tsunami was because polls were looking real good for the GOP. Sure, they didn't perform nearly as well as the pollsters were predicting, but the polls being wrong is the pollsters' fault rather than the politicians' fault.

Putting aside media hype cycles and focusing on the actual electoral results, the Dems aren't doing all that impressive in national-level elections. They lost the House in 2022, and the extremely slim Senate majority they've had since 2020 is far tinier than the one they had for most of Obama's administration.

We're seeing lots of encouraging signs, with various overreaches by state GOPs getting firmly smacked down by voters, but there isn't really much of a sign that we should be predicting the imminent collapse of the GOP just yet.

Well that's silly, Joe Biden demolished Trump with his 150,000 vote margin across 3 states.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

atriptothebeach posted:

The only crisis in immigration is that we so prevent and obstruct people from freely immigrating.
?

It's almost sad how "real angry about immigration, for some reason" is one of those leading indicators for "consumes too much right wing media", like tardive dyskenesia for people who've taken too many antipsychotics.

Immigration is a solution not a problem.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Yiggy posted:

Kinda funny. Unless something changed since I left Texas their legislators aren’t full time employees as-it-were. The session is short, and the income is meager. You have independent wealth or another job as far as I understood it. It’s basically a “gently caress this, I’m mostly out, but I’ll sort of keep one toe in the politics pool” incase the fever breaks in a few years.

there are only 10 state legislatures which are full time:
California, New York, Hawaii, Alaska, Illinois, Massachusetts, Ohio, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania Michigan

All other 40 states making state laws is a side hustle like doordashing

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
The US has the slowest population growth it's ever had, so I don't think too many new people (be they through birth or immigration)is the root of housing or pretty much any problem

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

I don't think this is always true. It's a moral obligation to let people come into this country - give me your tired your poor etc - but that doesn't mean it doesn't create problems that have to be solved, or that these people are necessarily the solution to some problem that was already here. It's just an increase in the number of people with abilities and needs, could be good could be bad.

For example in my city we have a lot of people seeking refuge/asylum/a new life, they were sent here on buses in that bullshit Texas/Florida operation. Like everyone they have a lot of needs (shelter, schooling, nutrition, medicine, etc). They have very little money, property, or employability (because they lack work permits) so they can't acquire these things without state intervention. That's a problem that has to be solved, even though popular solutions like "kick them out of the city" or "let them suffer without shelter" are obviously unethical. The solution is "pay for what they need until they can pay for it themselves," which then creates a budgetary problem etc.

Basically immigrants aren't magic, immigration can create tons of problems while solving few, we gotta deal with it either way because that's just how ethics work.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 15, 2023

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

It was a blowout. Democrats had the history of the "party in power losing seats in the midterm" going against them, and when you couple it with generational inflation, constant talk of recession, stock market making new lows in October, and fear mongering about crime (which worked in NY), Democrats should have been absolutely trounced. Instead, they lost the House by a couple of seats, gained legislatures and governorships and got +1 in the Senate.

Actually, one way we know the Republicans lost are the various meltdowns Charlie Kirk and others were having on election night.

small butter fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 15, 2023

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

There isn't much to be done about the grumpy old Fox watching crowd. They are voting Republican until they die and are going to LOUDLY complain about everything while doing it. Polls and such can say what they want but the reality is that barring a massive demographic shift in the country, each party can pretty much anticipate most of the votes they get.

Most people already know who they are willing to vote for, some just aren't sure if they are willing to go out and actually vote for them. What hurts the Democrats is voter enthusiasm more than anything, because the previously mentioned crazy old Republicans will ALWAYS vote straight ticket while we Democrats argue over if Biden deserves a vote because of Israel, Ukraine, the economy, housing, immigration, etc.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

It's almost sad how "real angry about immigration, for some reason" is one of those leading indicators for "consumes too much right wing media", like tardive dyskenesia for people who've taken too many antipsychotics.

This might be inverting cause and effect, here.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

It's an aside but I have affected friends so it seems worth explaining; tardive dyskinesia can emerge after a brief course of antipsychotics, it's not evidence of over medication or even necessarily a long course of treatment. In rare cases in predisposed patients, a single dose of antipsychotics can lead to a lasting movement disorder.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I don't think this is always true. It's a moral obligation to let people come into this country - give me your tired your poor etc - but that doesn't mean it doesn't create problems that have to be solved, or that these people are necessarily the solution to some problem that was already here. It's just an increase in the number of people with abilities and needs, could be good could be bad.

Basically immigrants aren't magic, immigration can create tons of problems while solving few, we gotta deal with it either way because that's just how ethics work.

Oh sure. But those same problems exist with, e.g., new babies, but everyone realizes that adding new babies to the economy is a net long term good, even if those babies require health care, schooling, and feeding in the short term, and even if some of those babies will eventually grow up and do things that get put in jail. Everybody recognizes that a new baby is an opportunity, not a danger. Unless the new babies are brown and/or foreign.

America has a massive demographic crunch coming and the only way to keep it from happening is with immigration, especially as there are still a very large number of jobs that Americans simply will not do for themselves (agriculture, etc).

Over the long term, net, for America, immigration is a solution not a problem. Right wing media just doesn't want people to think about that, because a bunch of racial hysteria helps the right wing more right now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Retro42 posted:

There isn't much to be done about the grumpy old Fox watching crowd. They are voting Republican until they die and are going to LOUDLY complain about everything while doing it. Polls and such can say what they want but the reality is that barring a massive demographic shift in the country, each party can pretty much anticipate most of the votes they get.

Most people already know who they are willing to vote for, some just aren't sure if they are willing to go out and actually vote for them. What hurts the Democrats is voter enthusiasm more than anything, because the previously mentioned crazy old Republicans will ALWAYS vote straight ticket while we Democrats argue over if Biden deserves a vote because of Israel, Ukraine, the economy, housing, immigration, etc.

agreed but i sorta think that stuff will fade alot more closer to the election. yeah some online folks will say they wont vote for various reasons(which sure whatever) but i think they are gonna be outweighed by the suburban liberals and moderates who want abortion back or don't want their kids stoned to death for being LGBTQ or etc. the GOP is only catering the loudest online/fox news hardline people and its not helping them at all. meanwhile the dems for better or worse have done some genuinly good progressive stuff but keep the messaging broad. which i think helps them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

It plays virtually no factor in this country considering what rent and mortgage rates are at now. Immigrants aren't making your apartment more expensive, Black Rock is. Among many other factors.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 15, 2023

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agreed but i sorta think that stuff will fade alot more closer to the election. yeah some online folks will say they wont vote for various reasons(which sure whatever) but i think they are gonna be outweighed by the suburban liberals and moderates who want abortion back or don't want their kids stoned to death for being LGBTQ or etc. the GOP is only catering the loudest online/fox news hardline people and its not helping them at all. meanwhile the dems for better or worse have done some genuinly good progressive stuff but keep the messaging broad. which i think helps them.

Oh for sure. I'm firmly in the "polls this far out are inaccurate" crowd. I just think it's lost on alot of Democrats that they just aren't playing the same game as the Republicans right now. While we argue over specific issues and try to appeal to the voters with logic and empathy, the general Republican voter is over there thinking "sure Trump allegedly did crimes, but Biden is corrupt and must go." That voter WILL be at the polls and will be voting straight Republican on election day. There is no nuance there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Oh sure. But those same problems exist with, e.g., new babies, but everyone realizes that adding new babies to the economy is a net long term good, even if those babies require health care, schooling, and feeding in the short term, and even if some of those babies will eventually grow up and do things that get put in jail. Everybody recognizes that a new baby is an opportunity, not a danger. Unless the new babies are brown and/or foreign.

America has a massive demographic crunch coming and the only way to keep it from happening is with immigration, especially as there are still a very large number of jobs that Americans simply will not do for themselves (agriculture, etc).

Over the long term, net, for America, immigration is a solution not a problem. Right wing media just doesn't want people to think about that, because a bunch of racial hysteria helps the right wing more right now.

You might see more U.S. citizens doing those jobs if business couldn’t rely on keeping a permanent, underpaid, regulation-free underclass and had to provide basic standards.

Of course one answer for that is to open up legal immigration especially from the south, and the other is throw them all in concentration camps. The latter seems more popular.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Retro42 posted:

Oh for sure. I'm firmly in the "polls this far out are inaccurate" crowd. I just think it's lost on alot of Democrats that they just aren't playing the same game as the Republicans right now. While we argue over specific issues and try to appeal to the voters with logic and empathy, the general Republican voter is over there thinking "sure Trump allegedly did crimes, but Biden is corrupt and must go." That voter WILL be at the polls and will be voting straight Republican on election day. There is no nuance there.

i mean sure, WE will be doing that, but i think alot of the online arguments and declarations and such are "overblown" in their impact the voting dems as a whole/ the various big protests will rightly get more policy direction swings and such. but my point is i think the dems have switched the suburbs from 'default vote GOP' to "default vote dem" along with alot of normies who dont really follow ANY of the political stuff but will see all the scary trump poo poo and etc when all of that becomes a focus again, not to mention a abortion. My point is i think alot of the dems and moderates will probably pull the lever dem when the times come more then you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

Discendo Vox posted:

Detailed investigative reporting in the Washington Post using what's now a well-characterized story format- an individual tragedy is used to humanize a nation-scale policy issue, in this case the lack of consistent regulation of home births and midwives.

A home birth midwife faces scrutiny after a baby dies. It’s not the first time.

Editor’s note: This story includes a video and photos of a deceased baby, which are included with the parents’ permission. The images may disturb some people.

The Cheyney quote is particularly remarkable because (as identified in the Post's new annotation system) she did deflective anti-regulatory research on behalf of a midwives industry group. At the same time, this also reflects that some of this is the different midwife professional groups engaging in a turf war.

This is just the start of a really extensive article. Spoiler alert for the end: Carr is still practicing.

I read this yesterday and what stood out to me is that I've encountered one of the non-Carr midwives mentioned in the article. I met her during some routine care a few years ago. It seems that particular one acted as an observer in one of the stories. Nothing strange stood out about that certified nurse midwife and we've met quite a few CNMs over the years also.

My wife's delivery was using a midwife in a hospital and was straight forward with no complications. We were quite happy with the midwife but like I said no issues during pregnancy or after delivery and in a hospital. Regardless the CNMs operate alongside OB/GYNs and a nursing team.

The midwife Carr seems to be taking on complicated cases (twins, breech) and deliveries where there are I think obvious undiagnosed issues such as the woman who says she has thyroid issues.

It may be she thinks it's her or the people are on their own but it seems like she is too hesitant to escalate to a hospital or as the article implies at one point lying about the condition of the baby.