Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tamba posted:

I'm assuming to garage is to far from your main network to just add the sensors to that?

Yes, unfortunately. I think running a separate instance of Home Assistant would both cost too much and be too much effort. I've just discovered there are USB over ethernet adaptors, I do have a spare ethernet cable run to the garage so in theory I could get another Sonoff USB dongle - I just hoped that there was a more convenient way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Yes, unfortunately. I think running a separate instance of Home Assistant would both cost too much and be too much effort. I've just discovered there are USB over ethernet adaptors, I do have a spare ethernet cable run to the garage so in theory I could get another Sonoff USB dongle - I just hoped that there was a more convenient way.

Have you got anywhere in between your Pi and the garage you can plug something (light bulb, smart plug, dedicated repeater, etc.) in to extend the zigbee mesh and bridge the gap?

Edit: This thread might help: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/advice-on-zigbee-range-extending/175882/9

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

GigaFuzz posted:

Have you got anywhere in between your Pi and the garage you can plug something (light bulb, smart plug, dedicated repeater, etc.) in to extend the zigbee mesh and bridge the gap?

This sounds like it's a cheap, good option and if it doesn't work I've at least got a device I can repurpose elsewhere.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This sounds like it's a cheap, good option and if it doesn't work I've at least got a device I can repurpose elsewhere.

I wanted to get wide coverage for zigbee in the house as well since the HA Pi lives in a basement corner closet and I've got smart switches 2 stories above on the opposite side of the house, in the garage etc. I grabbed these as repeaters https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SQGG8Z7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and set them up in some intermediate distances and it's worked fine. I use one of them as a smart plug, the other one for now just sits unused but I am sure something will be done with it eventually.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Anyone know of a cool physical button remote for HA? I have Zigbee available, but I'm only seeing wall-mounted versions with like 5 buttons. I wanna be cool like Arnold:

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

TVGM posted:

Anyone know of a cool physical button remote for HA? I have Zigbee available, but I'm only seeing wall-mounted versions with like 5 buttons. I wanna be cool like Arnold:

I use Aqara Mini Switches and IKEA Tradfri shortcut buttons (both have one button that can be double-tapped and long-pressed for extra actions) and a Hue Dimmer Switch which has 4 buttons that can all be double-tapped and long-pressed.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

You could get a ZigBee controller that runs over Ethernet instead? Though they may be more expensive.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

USB over Ethernet is fine and cheap and easy. Makes finding a good location for the receiver a far better experience.

It's how I have my zwave adapter connected for my deadbolt.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lutron Caseta starter pack for $97 at Walmart:
https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/t/17047108

2 dimmers (no neutral required)
2 picos
2 pico pedestals
Smart bridge

Bought 2 and this brings my bridge total to like 8, haha.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Lutron Caseta starter pack for $97 at Walmart:
https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/t/17047108

2 dimmers (no neutral required)
2 picos
2 pico pedestals
Smart bridge

Bought 2 and this brings my bridge total to like 8, haha.

Expired already.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Expired already.

These Walmart deals look like they go in and out of stock randomly, so keep checking. I just got another slick deals alert a few mins ago. I bought something else for a buddy who doesn’t have W+ earlier today and it took a few mins to come back in stock.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Would be nice if they didn't make you buy a 3rd, 5th, 8th... bridge to get the dimmers on sale.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Do people have a recommendation for a smart lock that'll attach to my google set up these days? Ideally something not _too_ app dependent in the event the company packs up and leaves?

Currently looking at the Yale Assure Lock 2

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 9, 2023

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I like my Schlages. I trust that they won't just pack up and leave, at least. I mean, it's the Schlage app that's talking to Google and vice versa, but I trust them to keep existing vs some tech startup. The models I have have both keypad and an actual physical key, which is something I really wanted going in. But then it turns out I almost never use the key and almost always use the keypad anyways. It's very strange leaving the house without my keys.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

FISHMANPET posted:

I like my Schlages. I trust that they won't just pack up and leave, at least. I mean, it's the Schlage app that's talking to Google and vice versa, but I trust them to keep existing vs some tech startup. The models I have have both keypad and an actual physical key, which is something I really wanted going in. But then it turns out I almost never use the key and almost always use the keypad anyways. It's very strange leaving the house without my keys.

I'm paranoid so I always want a physical key option in case we leave for vacation or something and comeback and the electronic lock is unpowered and whoops now we can't get in our house.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Kibner posted:

I'm paranoid so I always want a physical key option in case we leave for vacation or something and comeback and the electronic lock is unpowered and whoops now we can't get in our house.

There’s a line of locks (I think Yale?) that have external contact points that you can hold a 9V to to power it long enough to get in if the batteries died.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Kalman posted:

There’s a line of locks (I think Yale?) that have external contact points that you can hold a 9V to to power it long enough to get in if the batteries died.
I have a Schlage lock like that, but I can also open it with a paper clip through the drain hole.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Kibner posted:

The Schlages I have are zwave (so they would need a gateway/controller) but they have a keypad and key as well. I have seen wifi version that look the same, I'm just not sure what service(s) they are compatible with. Maybe something like that would work.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Same question but for HomeKit (I'm fine if it's an app that bridges into Homekit, rather than a direct connection). The seller of my house left a Kwikset Zigbee smart lock but it requires a hub that I don't have to connect, so right now it's just an electronic lock, not a smart one.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Chasiubao posted:

Same question but for HomeKit (I'm fine if it's an app that bridges into Homekit, rather than a direct connection). The seller of my house left a Kwikset Zigbee smart lock but it requires a hub that I don't have to connect, so right now it's just an electronic lock, not a smart one.

Yale makes HomeKit compatible locks. You can even choose between touchscreen or physical buttons and/or with keyholes. I like mine.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I run Home Assistant on a raspberry pi and I've got a Sonoff zigbee USB dongle plugged into it. This seems to let me use zigbee accessories of any brand. I've also got a wifi Aqara zigbee dongle in my detached garage, but I've got to use Aqara-branded accessories with it as far as I'm aware - since the temperature sensor I presently have connected to that is exposed to home assistant via the Aqara integration.

What do I need to do to be able to use any brand of zigbee accessory in my garage? Is there something that'll let me connect things directly to Home Assistant and not through a branded integration?

I just came across this, which might be what you need?
https://smlight.tech/product/slzb-06/

I haven't used it myself, but it's supposed to bridge Zigbee over LAN (either wired or Wifi)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I put an Aqara door sensor on my garage freezer so I get a notification when my 4yos try to grab their 12th popsicle. Peak home automation achieved!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Cool, apparently the Reolink RLC820A doesn’t work with milestone at all, it is out of spec from onvif from my research. This one is going back, anyone have a different, reasonably priced brand for a 4k Poe camera that is onvif compliant?

E: amcrest looks decent

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 18, 2023

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
I'm looking at smart switch options and have a subset of switches that need to be always powered because there's smart bulbs on the other side of them. I see some options, like the Zooz zwave, can be configured to be always on, but for other options like say the TP Link Kasa wifi ones couldn't you just wire them always on and have the switch just let the Home Assistant sync the switch state to the light? Acknowledging that if the HA is offline the lights wouldn't be controllable.

I'm planning on doing a bunch of switches and despite not wanting more wifi smart devices, I keep coming back to the Kasa switches because they are so much cheaper than the other choices. I'm trying to find deal breakers with them :D

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Fancy_Lad posted:

I'm looking at smart switch options and have a subset of switches that need to be always powered because there's smart bulbs on the other side of them.

Then why would you want or need a switch at all, other than to power fail them if they need to be reset? Certainly not a smart switch.

I'd use a regular switch with a guard over it to let people know to leave it alone.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

Motronic posted:

Then why would you want or need a switch at all, other than to power fail them if they need to be reset? Certainly not a smart switch.

I'd use a regular switch with a guard over it to let people know to leave it alone.

Guests and wife acceptance factor mostly. We are primarily using voice to control them now, but everyone in the world knows how to slap a switch on the wall...

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 18, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I put an Aqara door sensor on my garage freezer so I get a notification when my 4yos try to grab their 12th popsicle. Peak home automation achieved!

This has some great "Parent is omniscient" vibes to it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Fancy_Lad posted:

Guests and wife acceptance factor mostly. We are primarily using voice to control them now, but everyone in the world knows how to slap a switch on the wall...

So you want a zwave/whatever controller, not a switch and you just want it to look like a switch. That makes sense.....not what I was thinking of based on what you said (I have all physical zwave switches but no smart bulbs so I didn't consider the extras with that scenario)

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Fancy_Lad posted:

I'm looking at smart switch options and have a subset of switches that need to be always powered because there's smart bulbs on the other side of them. I see some options, like the Zooz zwave, can be configured to be always on, but for other options like say the TP Link Kasa wifi ones couldn't you just wire them always on and have the switch just let the Home Assistant sync the switch state to the light? Acknowledging that if the HA is offline the lights wouldn't be controllable.

I'm planning on doing a bunch of switches and despite not wanting more wifi smart devices, I keep coming back to the Kasa switches because they are so much cheaper than the other choices. I'm trying to find deal breakers with them :D

You want Shelly or Zooz relays. They install behind the switch.
https://a.co/d/bf8yMqg This is the single relay from Zooz for example. It'll let you connect line to load, can be set to control a smart light, and exposes the switch and light via zwave.

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 18, 2023

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

Shalhavet posted:

You want Shelly or Zooz relays. They install behind the switch.
https://a.co/d/bf8yMqg This is the single relay from Zooz for example. It'll let you connect line to load, can be set to control a smart light, and exposes the switch and light via zwave.

I'm aware of this option, but I guess I'm unclear what the advantage is? I'd think it should be cost, but those relays are just a couple bucks off the price of the Zooz switches...

Let me lay out what I'm looking at right now - we are wrapping up a major remodel project and getting smart switches in to control some ceiling lighting is needed. We already have a chunk of lights in the house that we are currently covering with smart bulbs, many are lamps on either switched or always on outlets today (thanks, 70s house). We'd like to get smart switches so that the wall switch for each room will control these lights for the usability aspect.

I already have an established Home Assistant setup with a combination of mainly Zigbee, some Zwave, and some wifi stuff on an isolated IoT VLAN. My confidence is high that I can handle any kind of automation that needs to happen in HA. I have switched out dumb switches and outlets before with no problems, but have zero experience with any smart switches.

We currently have the old fashioned skinny toggle switches in the house. Those are getting updated to the decora style as part of this (with wall plates that don't have visible screws - this comes into play later). We have 1 3way that needs a smart solution. We have another 3way and a 4way that will probably stay dumb switches. Oh, and we do have a neutral in the boxes.

Option 1 - Kasa - the cheap route.
The HS220 wifi dimmers are on sale right now for a little over 13 bucks a pop in 3 packs $10 a switch if dimmer control isn't needed. For the switches controlling actual lights, I wouldn't expect much in the way of surprises here. For switches that I don't want to control the load directly because of the smart bulbs, I think I should just be able to wire the load always on in the box, cap off the load wire on the switch itself, and just automate the state and brightness of the bulb to sync to the state and brightness of the switch in HA, right? Effectively just making it a button on the wall that really just talks to HA.

I like that these have dedicated dimmer buttons on them. I'm not the biggest fan of IoT wifi devices to begin with, nor on how these effectively have just a single button on the bottom for toggling the state instead of a top (on) and bottom (off) button position. All of this is preference, none of it is a dealbreaker if I get something meaningful out of it - in this case cost savings.

Each of these comes with a screwless single gang wall plate already. This surprised me, but the screwless single gang wall plates look to go between $3.5 and $5+ a pop - so if you compare the cost of one of these vs a dumb switch and a screwless wall plate from Menards (the cheapest place I've found), I'm looking at a bit over +5 bucks a switch cost difference to go straight to a smart dimmer switch or +3 a switch to go to a smart switch... it seems too good a deal so I feel like I'm missing something here.

Option 2 - Zooz.
There are several options here. The relays that Shalhavet pointed out, their dimmer and standard switch options, and also these crazy little battery powered zwave remotes that magnetically clips into a plate you install in the outlet boxes.

I like that these are zwave. I like that they have a more standard look/profile to the switches. I don't like that even with the sale going on at thesmartesthouse, these options tend to be somewhere between 2.5x and 4x the cost of the Kasa, especially when I'm picking up like 15 of them and already have a big remodel bill to pay off. 

There are several other options out there, but nothing that comes close to the Kasa on cost that I've seen. Most seem to have costs in line with Zooz, but generally with similar or lesser feature sets. Again, if I'm missing something big here, I'd love to know it before I get too far into this.

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 18, 2023

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Anyone know of any smart plugs that don't rely on external servers and have decent-quality relays? I bought some Athom smart plugs a while back. They were advertised as being rated for 16A loads, but they failed after a few months of switching a 12A load a few times daily. I looked deeper and the relays themselves are only rated for 10A.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

HolHorsejob posted:

Anyone know of any smart plugs that don't rely on external servers and have decent-quality relays? I bought some Athom smart plugs a while back. They were advertised as being rated for 16A loads, but they failed after a few months of switching a 12A load a few times daily. I looked deeper and the relays themselves are only rated for 10A.

Talking about 16A loads makes me think you are asking about non-US electrical, so you should probably specify exactly what standard of plugs/receptacles you need.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Motronic posted:

Talking about 16A loads makes me think you are asking about non-US electrical, so you should probably specify exactly what standard of plugs/receptacles you need.

NEMA 5-15P, US residential, nothing fancy.

I was using it to switch a space heater, and after a few months of regular use, it failed closed. I know relays do that, but I figured I'd get more than like a hundred cycles out of it.

I looked it up and the datasheet for the relay says it's only rated for 10A max. The device can't be disassembled without destroying it, so I can't replace the lovely relay.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

HolHorsejob posted:

NEMA 5-15P, US residential, nothing fancy.

I was using it to switch a space heater, and after a few months of regular use, it failed closed. I know relays do that, but I figured I'd get more than like a hundred cycles out of it.

I looked it up and the datasheet for the relay says it's only rated for 10A max. The device can't be disassembled without destroying it, so I can't replace the lovely relay.

Zooz Zen15 is made for full 15A big appliances.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
If anyone was tracking my smart switch question, turns out that thesmartesthouse was just doing a normal sale and their BF sale started yesterday. Since the Zooz smart dimmers are down to $22 ($20 for the on/off switches), this was enough for me to pull the trigger on the zwave solution.

Heads ups that there's some deals on other Zooz stuff there for anyone in the market. Shipping is free over $100

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hi y'all, this thread goes back a decade so I figured I'd just ask:

Looking for pointers for a home security system with these features or as close to as possible:

Non-negotiable:
Records video
Runs on commodity hardware
Local storage (negotiable if media can be encrypted before dropping on cloud storage)

Nice to have:
Can switch from timelapse style to regular video with some kind of motion threshold (this is achievable with postprocessing afaik so not a huge deal)
can integrate with lights
integrates with some kind of outdoor rated camera
uses ethernet or some other commodity cable
Required software comes in a docker image or some other kind of easy-ish to deploy package
Can prune media based on age/space/etc

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Fancy_Lad posted:

If anyone was tracking my smart switch question, turns out that thesmartesthouse was just doing a normal sale and their BF sale started yesterday. Since the Zooz smart dimmers are down to $22 ($20 for the on/off switches), this was enough for me to pull the trigger on the zwave solution.

Heads ups that there's some deals on other Zooz stuff there for anyone in the market. Shipping is free over $100
Best price I've seen so far, still hit that free shipping pretty quick.

Is there a significant difference between those dimmers and the Lutron other than you can buy 3 for the same price?

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

the yeti posted:

Hi y'all, this thread goes back a decade so I figured I'd just ask:

Looking for pointers for a home security system with these features or as close to as possible:

Non-negotiable:
Records video
Runs on commodity hardware
Local storage (negotiable if media can be encrypted before dropping on cloud storage)

Nice to have:
Can switch from timelapse style to regular video with some kind of motion threshold (this is achievable with postprocessing afaik so not a huge deal)
can integrate with lights
integrates with some kind of outdoor rated camera
uses ethernet or some other commodity cable
Required software comes in a docker image or some other kind of easy-ish to deploy package
Can prune media based on age/space/etc

That sounds exactly like my frigate setup, along with a little help from home assistant to do automations and notifications based on movement.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Want to get started with Home Assistant, my house has a mixture of existing smart home stuff from various brands and I have no idea what band/system/whatever they're on.

Is there a recommended all-in-one USB dongle that'll handle everything for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

cstine posted:

That sounds exactly like my frigate setup, along with a little help from home assistant to do automations and notifications based on movement.

That sounds really cool—do you mind going into what the hardware situation for that looks like?