Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I still refuse to join the Kreishusten in enclosed spaces, but that's a good idea during this time of year anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
Obviously covid is only over in German minds, sorta like Israel is not targeting any civilians in our minds. Having looked at the personnel data for 50+ locations with a couple hundred employees each, I can tell you that both acute short term sickness as well as ever increasing, unprecedented levels of long term chronic sickness are appearing perfectly in synch with each wave that is reported in the few countries that still care.

Also, for Libluini, there is one last Gallier left in in Die Grünen, dear old Jürgen: he actually travelled to Palestine and made some very tame posts about it. Recommend reading the comments for another view of what is the absolute insanity of german public discourse

https://twitter.com/JTrittin/status/1724471264188748134?t=dXlkT_NEegdNS7Bz4dWHIQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/uzora5/status/1724718911751356841?t=UzDBVP4o-vpBzWptngDyoQ&s=19

Spice World War II fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 15, 2023

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Corona is totally over, the high and very noticable spike in illness all around is just normal variation. Just look at the numbers, they're so low! No we haven't been testing since last year, why would we, the numbers are so low after all, and people have always gotten sick.

(In all seriousness, people are currently seuching around hardcore and it's a combo of Grippe/Corona and seasonal stuff, wearing a mask is useful but not needed outside of some doctors or hospitals)

E: also maybe not use twitter as a source for anything, it's not reality, it cannot hurt you

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

Corona is totally over, the high and very noticable spike in illness all around is just normal variation. Just look at the numbers, they're so low! No we haven't been testing since last year, why would we, the numbers are so low after all, and people have always gotten sick.

(In all seriousness, people are currently seuching around hardcore and it's a combo of Grippe/Corona and seasonal stuff, wearing a mask is useful but not needed outside of some doctors or hospitals)

E: also maybe not use twitter as a source for anything, it's not reality, it cannot hurt you

Yeah, quite. Last all-hands: Sadly we are fewer today because of the novel corona virus. Also we strongly encourage in person attendance in next month's all-hands :thumbsup:

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
So congrats, we survived the (possible) P2K error here itt.
Should anyone remember Y2K panic
Weitermachen!

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh
Also wer von euch kennt diesen Held der Revolution?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/14/german-journalist-putin-hubert-seipel

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Son of Rodney posted:

Basically everyone I know currently has or has in the last week had Magen/Darm.

Oh and mysterious respiratory illnesses.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Surely nobody is wearing masks in the US as well?

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

I can confirm that no one is wearing masks in Québec, you might see the odd person at the grocery store but it looks like we've also vanquished covid over here in our neck of the woods.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

aphid_licker posted:

Surely nobody is wearing masks in the US as well?

i live in arizona and see like two masks per week. i'm currently in nyc, and i've seen like three masks today while out and about in brooklyn for a couple of hours. i haven't worn one since late 2021 or so.

it's over, baby.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yeah when I see someone with a mask in public i mostly assume they're actively having covid at this moment :-(

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I still wear masks in close spaces and am happy for every like minded person of which there’s at least one or two per trip.

It’s just common sense :)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I see on average like three other mask dudes in the morning commuter train and that's about it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I occasionally see people with masks but it's fairly rare. I kind of wish the ppl who are actively coughing and sneezing up a storm would wear masks but alas.

(I sometimes wear one when I have to be in a crowd but it's pretty common to get harassed for it lol)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I think it is safe to assume those few wearing mask do not in fact have Covid.

You either have Covid and do not go out to not endanger others, unless you can absolutely not avoid it.

Or you are the kind of person who thinks "Well I have Covid, but there is no law telling me I have to isolate so I'll just go about my day since I am fine."

The former wouldn't go into town to do shopping and the latter wouldn't wear a mask.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

In the San Francisco area, most people don't wear masks but a bunch of them still do, especially people on public transit and like cashiers, but also some students and randos on the street. On the flight home there were also at least one or two people with masks per row. It was only when I got some distance between myself and the airport terminal that I was like "wait a minute".

I'm gonna keep wearing my ugly respirator to the grocery store here, but I'm afraid it's a lost cause with my old, sick parents not giving a poo poo, never wearing masks, and having random unmasked house guests seemingly every day too.

In Germany I got a few interested/polite comments about my respirator but I think a guy in front of the train station was making fun of me by implying I'm a refugee from the "war zone in Ukraine" or something, I didn't really get the gist of it because I was too befuddled by a stranger approaching me in public.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 16, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hopper posted:

You either have Covid and do not go out to not endanger others, unless you can absolutely not avoid it.

Or you are the kind of person who thinks "Well I have Covid, but there is no law telling me I have to isolate so I'll just go about my day since I am fine."

The former wouldn't go into town to do shopping and the latter wouldn't wear a mask.

It is a crying shame that German has no good translation for "half-assed" other than the weak "halbherzig" because there are absolutely a ton of people who go about Rücksichtnahme and Schutz der Mitmenschen in precisely that half-assed manner.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
how about nasenpimmlig :v:

Vanadium posted:

I'm gonna keep wearing my ugly respirator to the grocery store here, but I'm afraid it's a lost cause with my old, sick parents not giving a poo poo, never wearing masks, and having random unmasked house guests seemingly every day too.

That’s one thing that’s ironically helped me worry less, that it’s impossible to protect my parents through my actions when they stop giving a poo poo themselves. And they just don’t wear masks anymore, I’ve broached the subject as fall started that they should maybe start wearing masks again on public transit and they agreed but I’ve received zero indication that they’re doing it and they were pretty vigilant about it until the mandates were lifted. Oh well.

Also it hasn’t even been a year since the public transit mask mandate was lifted iirc which feels very weird to me every once in a while

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hopper posted:

Counterpoint: I still see people wearing a mask below the nose from time to time.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Counterpoint, I think that these forums are a microcosm of coronavirus obsession (by US influence mainly).

Yes it is another disease that circulates in addition to flu and other diseases, so from the public health point of view things are slightly worse.

On the other hand, it is the new normal. The population at large has antibodies and is more adapted to the disease. It is endemic.

Go ahead and use masks in crowded spaces, but I don't find it strange that people care little at this point.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
And yes I have a couple of colleagues at work who go at all times with ffp2 masks and I think that they are weirdos

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
at least in my job the labour market is so bad that the bosses decided, that missing a week each year to illness is bad for business, so they give heavy incentives to stay healthy

and it works!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

There's no immunity to Covid.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Malaria is endemic and people who use mosquito nets are weirdoes imo.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Healbot posted:

yes, especially when it brings about long covid

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Counterpoint, I think that these forums are a microcosm of coronavirus obsession
I don't think that's fair, my IRL friends wear respirators when going outside and do rapid tests for visitors who haven't otherwise tested recently, and

quote:

(by US influence mainly).

okay yeah they're americans fair

I mean I guess I'd enjoy not getting the flu either, but I see how that's not anyone else's problem.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Healbot posted:

This is completely and utterly false. Please don't spread misinformation.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

spankmeister posted:

This is completely and utterly false. Please don't spread misinformation.

It's a vocab issue. Laypeople often assume that immunity means 100% protection, which is obviously not the case with covid and probably what they meant. However, you're very obviously right that vaccinations and previous infections do confer partial immunity.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
There is only resistance to covid. That means damage is halved. Immunity means complete protection.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The constitution save is only DC10 though

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
One of my coworkers recently got Covid for the 5th time, he's a super chipper young dude, I assume at this point he's gone from resistance to immunity straight to absorption, meaning he heals from Covid damage

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

We had an in-person town-hall meeting on monday this week with about 350 attendees, the number of people who masked up was less than 10. Today 3 members in my business unit (~35 people) called in sick. Coincidence? Maybe, but I will not stop using masks anytime soon.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I mean, if you go around in public (crowded indoor spaces) in winter you're basically guaranteed to get covid and/or other infections eventually. And if you wear a (well fitting ffp2) mask you are less likely to get them. This part is not in dispute.

Now you just have to calculate how much that "less likely" is worth to you. How much you want to avoid getting sick, how much you hate standing out, whether you have so much unprotected exposure that wearing a mask on the bus doesn't really matter... It's all different from person to person. In an ideal world* people would just wear masks or not as they please, and let others wear them or not as they please. And stay home or at least wear a mask if they're actively sick.

But alas that's not how people work.

* I guess in an ideal world there would be no covid at all but that cat is out of the bag.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Honj Steak posted:

There is only resistance to covid. That means damage is halved. Immunity means complete protection.

Having absorption would be nice. The more viruses you attract, the healthier you get

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

pidan posted:

How much you want to avoid getting sick, how much you hate standing out, whether you have so much unprotected exposure that wearing a mask on the bus doesn't really matter...

If your answers to these questions are different from mine, you are wrong and I hate you. Sorry, but these are the rules.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

pidan posted:

I mean, if you go around in public (crowded indoor spaces) in winter you're basically guaranteed to get covid and/or other infections eventually. And if you wear a (well fitting ffp2) mask you are less likely to get them. This part is not in dispute.

Now you just have to calculate how much that "less likely" is worth to you. How much you want to avoid getting sick, how much you hate standing out, whether you have so much unprotected exposure that wearing a mask on the bus doesn't really matter... It's all different from person to person. In an ideal world* people would just wear masks or not as they please, and let others wear them or not as they please. And stay home or at least wear a mask if they're actively sick.

But alas that's not how people work.

* I guess in an ideal world there would be no covid at all but that cat is out of the bag.

A friend of mine just reported a story from a group chat he is in: one of his friends started talking about how terrible it is that we still do not have a Tempolimit on the Autobahn. When asked why he was suddenly so vocal about it he said that he just had a near miss on the Autobahn, where a fast Audi nearly collided with a slower small car on the Überholspur when the small car tried to overtake a truck with only about 120km/h and the Audi was going "at least 180km/h". If there was a Germany wide Tempolimit of 120km/h this would not have happened.

He was the driver of the Audi.

This is the same way that Germans think about masks and covid, and pretty much everything else, too

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Spice World War II posted:

A friend of mine just reported a story from a group chat he is in: one of his friends started talking about how terrible it is that we still do not have a Tempolimit on the Autobahn. When asked why he was suddenly so vocal about it he said that he just had a near miss on the Autobahn, where a fast Audi nearly collided with a slower small car on the Überholspur when the small car tried to overtake a truck with only about 120km/h and the Audi was going "at least 180km/h". If there was a Germany wide Tempolimit of 120km/h this would not have happened.

He was the driver of the Audi.

This is the same way that Germans think about masks and covid, and pretty much everything else, too

Too many Germans are autobrained, agreed.

Also, it seems Audifahrers have replaced BMWlers as the most reckless idiots in the Strassenverkehr.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Some lady crashed her Audi SUV into a Hyundai hatchback at a Baustelle, flipped the car and burned to death inside. Somehow the Hyundai driver only suffered a Schock

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Now that's what I call Fahrvergnugen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Tarquinn posted:

Too many Germans are autobrained, agreed.
I'd say the point is more that Germans are happy to follow rules but if there are no rules then they literally don't know any limits