Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I love the new Crusader.

The old one was hideous, even when it first appeared in Macross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

genuinely excellent and deserves to avoid being buried

PoptartsNinja posted:

I love the new Crusader.

The old one was hideous, even when it first appeared in Macross.

the reseen redesign is pretty good too. even the IWM sculpt could probably be made to work with some more exciting posing

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ominous Jazz posted:

I painted some more little dudes. There's stuff I like and stuff I don't. I'm gonna go out and get vallejo paints. It'd be great if they had like a starter set.

This is the starter set I recommend to people. It has all the colors you need to get started. Then pick and chose any extra colors you want depending on what you're painting.
https://a.co/d/7n85Jem

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Al-Saqr posted:

Finished my Winged Tyranid Prime, what do you think?

So you got similar feedback in the other thread (and this is a few days and pages back now), but the Leviathan canon colors with the highlighted weapon horns/claws works really well. It helps sell the idea that these creatures are Dangerous and are going to Own Your poo poo. I'd be really curious to see a Screamer-Killer (or, dare I imagine, an Oldhammer S-K) done up in this color scheme.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

SpaceDrake posted:

So you got similar feedback in the other thread (and this is a few days and pages back now), but the Leviathan canon colors with the highlighted weapon horns/claws works really well. It helps sell the idea that these creatures are Dangerous and are going to Own Your poo poo. I'd be really curious to see a Screamer-Killer (or, dare I imagine, an Oldhammer S-K) done up in this color scheme.

I've got you covered!

Al-Saqr posted:

Finished my Tyranid Screamer killer! would love comments and critique!

Al-Saqr posted:

adjusted screamer killer face, is this a little better?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ominous Jazz posted:

I painted some more little dudes. There's stuff I like and stuff I don't. I'm gonna go out and get vallejo paints. It'd be great if they had like a starter set.

The key to eyes is to paint black ovals then put two white dots on either side. It’s magic, works amazingly.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Professor Shark posted:

The key to eyes is to paint black ovals then put two white dots on either side. It’s magic, works amazingly.

I will give my little men anime eyes

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Bucnasti posted:

This is the starter set I recommend to people. It has all the colors you need to get started. Then pick and chose any extra colors you want depending on what you're painting.
https://a.co/d/7n85Jem

lol, with discount it's still cheaper to order the same set from US than from Canada.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Here's the Space Marines combat patrol I just finished. Minotaurs terminators and a squad of mysterious Legion of the Damned.

I had some fun with the heraldry, though I'm happy I never have to freehand bulls heads again. :)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Everything is amazing, but it’s the levels of tone on the fire has me absolutely gob smacked, weirdly

Yeah I guess the bull head is nice too.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Jonny Nox posted:

Everything is amazing, but it’s the levels of tone on the fire has me absolutely gob smacked, weirdly

Yeah I guess the bull head is nice too.

Thanks!

The fire was surprisingly easy to do. Just pick six or so shades from deep red to bright yellow. I think I did burnt red, blood red, orange, gold yellow, bright yellow and a few final touches with some white mixed in. Make sure the paint is thinned down just a little bit. It's better to do two coats of each shade rather than try to go too thick.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Decorus posted:

Here's the Space Marines combat patrol I just finished. Minotaurs terminators and a squad of mysterious Legion of the Damned.

I had some fun with the heraldry, though I'm happy I never have to freehand bulls heads again. :)

Awesome work

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Al-Saqr posted:

I've got you covered!

Oh my loving god. :swoon: Exactly how I imagined it, with a side of glowing hot plasma. Wonderful.

Though I'm now wondering how well line troops will work with this color scheme; I feel like making the whole gun the flaming color would be a little too distracting.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Here's my progress of the 3 miniatures I've painted over the last 2ish years. It's only 3 because I took so many breaks.

First classic Stormcast painted with the most traditional boring color scheme using base -> shade -> highlight -> highlight again strategy.

I'm going to be honest, gold is just too boring, and kind of took out any excitement I initially had for painting. Learning to highlight with lighter colors was just frustrating for me, especially because you can't really see the difference with such a strong base coat.

This is the model that made me really dislike highlighting. It just felt like it ruined the model and didn't add anything positive. I could never make it look like what I saw other painters doing.

I came back to painting after the new Saurus Warriors launch. They are my favorite WH fantasy faction and the new models look incredible compared to the originals. This is the model I decided to try contrast paints on.

It initially looked like the perfect model to start learning contrast, but man is that scale -> skin -> underbelly transition the biggest trap for beginner painters. I just can't seem to blend the Akelian Green with enough Contrast Medium to make the underside look natural. I finally just gave up and painted it white.

I think the idea is to have 2 green contrast paints that compliment each other, instead of just one.

Present day, and hands down the most fun I've had painting a model. I think I've got it down to almost exactly how I want it.

I tried the oval eye trick with this one, but I don't think my brush is small enough. Ended up having to repaint white + yellow shade.

For basing, can you just add the material to the already complete model, or is it recommended to base first and then just glue your model on top of the rocks/sand?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I've been avoiding painting stuff for the past three days because the only thing that's left are smaller details and I keep smudging stuff and making mistakes and having to go fix up parts I already painted.

Edit:

Ok, that's it, first mini done in 20 years.

That's as much effort and money as I'm willing to put in at the moment. Now I just need to paint up 30 more guardsmen in the same style and that will be most of the combat patrol done.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 16, 2023

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

I've been avoiding painting stuff for the past three days because the only thing that's left are smaller details and I keep smudging stuff and making mistakes and having to go fix up parts I already painted.

Edit:

That's as much effort and money as I'm willing to put in at the moment. Now I just need to paint up 30 more guardsmen in the same style and that will be most of the combat patrol done.

As someone who’s basically in the same let’s-give-this-a-try mode after a real long time, I think that looks real nice! Hope you’re having fun.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Edit:

This looks great, the red came out really nice.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah I'm having fun, felt really jazzed when I felt like I was "done".

Spending too much money on painting supplies though.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Yeah I’m pretty sure this hobby could bankrupt a person if they’re not careful.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Bo-Pepper posted:

Not "could", has. It has bankrupt at least several people, and ruined a number of marriages. It's commonly called Plastic Crack for a reason.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I look at my selection of paints and go "why the hell did I buy all this, my army is just pink and gold" and then on my drive home where I pass 3 LGS's I constantly go "well I guess I'd better pop in and grab 3 shades of green for the eye lenses of my next squad, and I'll need a blue wash in case I expand my Night Lords into a full army."

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
My LGS is a newsagent on the corner by where I live, I own every shade they sell!!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's not that much paint when you really think about it. They're only like 12-18 fluid oz a pot. Buy the rainbow and don't beat yourself up about it

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Bo-Pepper posted:

This is just Kickstarter.

This doesn't include the pledge manager afterwards or all the poo poo I found on eBay/Amazon. Or even paints or brushes.

If I had to do napkin math it's probably 2500+ dollars.

I haven't painted anything in 2 years.

I bought 100 bucks worth of minis from Etsy printers like a month ago.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ravus Ursus posted:

This doesn't include the pledge manager afterwards or all the poo poo I found on eBay/Amazon. Or even paints or brushes.

Start shipping them to goons with prepaid return packaging (this isn’t a serious suggestion)

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I went on a tear at miniature market during some clearance and bought as much as I could for discontinued games.

Others: seven Deadly sins and.... Wrath of kings?

I'm pretty sure I spent 50 bucks on an eBay set of 2 boxes and 1 pre order figure just because I wanted the pre order figure.

I have problems. Don't be me.

Once I get done doing work on my house I'm going to renovate the attic into a dedicated hobby den.

Then I'll be able to paint all these loving werewolves.

:suicide101:

To be fair they're sick werewolves even if CMON gave the girl wolves boobies.

http://wrathofkings.com/ks/factions/house-of-goritsi/

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ravus Ursus posted:

Ask someone who plays guitar how much they've spent on stuff. Mini paining is pocket change compared to how much music equipment costs.

Edit: that's a little facetious, let me actually make a "Average working musician's budget build, never need to buy anything more expensive than this as any entry level thing is just replaceable crap to build into this"

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 16, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
ah, you think mini painting is expensive, it's nothing compared to my hobby, retrieving the rusted-out hulks of ferraris from the bottom of the ocean, restoring them to mint condition, then driving them at top speed into a wall of solid platinum i built at the south pole

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cease to Hope posted:

ah, you think mini painting is expensive, it's nothing compared to my hobby, retrieving the rusted-out hulks of ferraris from the bottom of the ocean, restoring them to mint condition, then driving them at top speed into a wall of solid platinum i built at the south pole

Still a cheaper hobby than CCGs tbh.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I think mini painting is pretty mid in expensiveness. There are tons of hobbys that are cheaper, like frisbee golf or something, but unless you just endlessly hoard every warhammer kit you come across, it doesn't hold a candle to a lot of other hobbies. I mean, if I jsut compare with the hobbies of my closest colleagues:

Biking. A cheap entry hobby level racing bike is what, a thousand bucks? And that's without any other gear such as shoes, clothes, helmet etc. The ones your middle age colleague rides is probably twice as expensive, at least. Likely three times or more.

Horseback riding. Just L O loving L and move on with the list.

Watching football. A ticket for a top league match (which is a pretty bad and cheap league compared to others here in Europe) is not that bad, like 40-50 bucks. With condiments and drinks on the stadium etc., you're looking at what, about a hundred bucks? For one evening. A hundred bucks will get you paint and minis to last you way longer. If you're looking at more expensive matches like Champions League and travelling to other towns to follow your team, or even the national team? Take those costs times ten.

Restaurants. And I'm talking someone who eats at good restaurants as a hobby. God drat. That person would easily spend half a grand for a meal and drinks. That will net you an army and several months of busywork painting unless you're some kind of speed painting daemon.

Hell even knitting and such textile crafts can be pretty expensive if you're a yarn nerd and start to buy expensive high quality materials and go to conventions and stuff.

So yeah mini painting can really be a budget hobby compared to many of the more common "grown up" hobbies.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cheaper than meth

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Professor Shark posted:

Cheaper than meth*

*don't ask about starting a Genestealer Cult army in 40K though

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
you can save money on mini painting by not drinking the paint after you're done

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

it'd be even cheaper if you didn't allow yourself to buy any miniatures until after the ones you have are fully painted and based

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

it'd be even cheaper if you didn't allow yourself to buy any miniatures until after the ones you have are fully painted and based

the platinum wall at the south pole is more plausible

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cease to Hope posted:

the platinum wall at the south pole is more plausible

I'm holding back from buying more Weird Little Guys until I've finished the 7 I've been painting on and off for months (not even well!) and let me tell you

it's hard

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Blasphemer!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am not sure what the cost of other hobbies has to do with the cost of miniature hobbies. Other hobbies could be objectively more expensive, or less expensive, but that has little impact on the person who wants to make miniatures their hobby and has to work within the bounds of their income. For some people the ability to lay out a thousand bucks for an Army is of little thought and for others it will be a major investment of their funds.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am not sure what the cost of other hobbies has to do with the cost of miniature hobbies. Other hobbies could be objectively more expensive, or less expensive, but that has little impact on the person who wants to make miniatures their hobby and has to work within the bounds of their income. For some people the ability to lay out a thousand bucks for an Army is of little thought and for others it will be a major investment of their funds.

luckily, mocking the very boring "well other hobbies" posts is free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I love the comparison of.more expensive minis.

Pro racing bikes, working musicians, high end eateries and so own.

Meanwhile I'm 2-3k in and I'm in a poorly lit room hunched over a 1 inch plastic dude using the rear end hairs of a Russian ferret to run colored acrylic on it. As opposed eating a dope meal, riding a horse, going to a sports event, playing a gig or racing a bike?

The price isn't as wild as other hobbies but it's also a different scale of engagement.