Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Mercury_Storm posted:

https://web3isgoinggreat.com/?id=randstorm

this is good for bitcoin of course because less bitcoins in circulation means that there will be more demand for eating rear end like groceries

unciphered posted:

On the 6th of April, 2018, an individual calling themselves “Ketamine” sent an email from <ketamine@national.shitposting.agency> to the bitcoin-dev mailing list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The name "randstorm" for a vulnerability really sounds like the vulnerability is just "weird nerds use passages from randian screeds as passwords" and I do not want to challenge my perfect-faith belief that this is the case.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

FAUXTON posted:

The name "randstorm" for a vulnerability really sounds like the vulnerability is just "weird nerds use passages from randian screeds as passwords" and I do not want to challenge my perfect-faith belief that this is the case.

idk whether this is "just" that but yeah they totally do

in the early days of bitcoin there was some service that derived public-private key pairs from short passages of text, and there were addresses that several people used that came to be watched by bots who would immediately hoover up any butts stored there. there was some address that corresponded to like, a famous quote from atlas shrugged or whatever that was being watched by everyone and was getting the butts swiped from it on the reg. someone will remember more details of this than me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
correct horse battery staple

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hammerite posted:

in the early days of bitcoin there was some service that derived public-private key pairs from short passages of text, and there were addresses that several people used that came to be watched by bots who would immediately hoover up any butts stored there. there was some address that corresponded to like, a famous quote from atlas shrugged or whatever that was being watched by everyone and was getting the butts swiped from it on the reg. someone will remember more details of this than me

the john galt oath thing:

quote:

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Xakura posted:

Michael Lewis should be imprisoned, yes :hmmyes:

Agreed, everything that came out this year re: Michael Oher is goddamn reprehensible.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

FAUXTON posted:

Couldn't bitcoin mining be basically described as a 'randstorm?' Isn't it a bunch of machines generating billions of large-digit random numbers and hashing them, each hoping to find that it stumbled upon the 'correct' random number to match one that was previously 'drawn'?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hammerite posted:

yeah that was brainwallets and all the low hanging fruit there got picked clean at the time

this is just good ol fashioned bad PRNG implementation

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ashpanash posted:

Couldn't bitcoin mining be basically described as a 'randstorm?' Isn't it a bunch of machines generating billions of large-digit random numbers and hashing them, each hoping to find that it stumbled upon the 'correct' random number to match one that was previously 'drawn'?
more or less. miners aren't trying to match a previously agreed-upon number, they're trying to find a hash which, evaluated numerically, falls below an agreed-upon (by the network) threshold

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

shame on an IGA posted:

yeah that was brainwallets and all the low hanging fruit there got picked clean at the time

how could linear congruence fail me? i even chose prime numbers! prime!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

ashpanash posted:

Darude_-_Randstorm.mp3.exe

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

shame on an IGA posted:

yeah, I assume that a badly implemented PRNG in libbitcoinjs or whatever meant that some of the keys are somewhat predictable. it doesn't need to be *that* badly implemented to go from "brute force search the entire SHA-256 key space" to "rent some GPU cluster space and start cracking wallets that have more BTC than the power will cost"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
man how the hell do you even write code to do arithmetic with large integers in javascript, the idiot hell fucker language that notoriously doesn't have an integer datatype

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

man how the hell do you even write code to do arithmetic with large integers in javascript, the idiot hell fucker language that notoriously doesn't have an integer datatype

i guess the answer is "badly lol"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
you store your bigints as strings

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you store your bigints as strings

lmao

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Or you can just lose your money

https://twitter.com/a_ferron/status/892350579162439681

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Hammerite posted:

code:
<footer>
The data presented on this web page has been generated in Javascript
for entertainment purposes only.
Any resemblance or similarity to any factual events, entities or persons,
whether living or dead is entirely coincidental.
</footer>

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ed zitron summarizes the last hungred pages of this thread

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
don’t fix that typo

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

:lmao:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Weatherman posted:

thank you

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Weatherman posted:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

quote:

The cryptocurrency industry continually fools the media and venture capitalists in exactly the same way that SBF did — by saying intelligent-sounding things that sound reasonable to people who lack the domain expertise to actually vet the code or criticize the fundamentals of the projects.

this is how that article ends, and i take offense at the "by saying intelligent-sounding things that sound reasonable" part because it's a complete lie. everything that comes out of crypto people is obvious bullshit that couldn't have more red flags planted in it even if they tried. it's just that the media and vcs are incredibly loving stupid and just one more symptom of the staggering incompetence of our ruling class. we've seen the chat logs from when sammy boy gave that presentation while playing league and all the vcs were going "i love this guy!!!", "he doesn't even care when there's millions on the line this is amazing!!!", "this man is the next investment superstar!!!", and so on. they were ready to hand over piles of money based on that alone. they all have absolute dogshit brains

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

this is how that article ends, and i take offense at the "by saying intelligent-sounding things that sound reasonable" part because it's a complete lie. everything that comes out of crypto people is obvious bullshit that couldn't have more red flags planted in it even if they tried. it's just that the media and vcs are incredibly loving stupid and just one more symptom of the staggering incompetence of our ruling class. we've seen the chat logs from when sammy boy gave that presentation while playing league and all the vcs were going "i love this guy!!!", "he doesn't even care when there's millions on the line this is amazing!!!", "this man is the next investment superstar!!!", and so on. they were ready to hand over piles of money based on that alone. they all have absolute dogshit brains

it's because he knows how to dupe greedy people, which is in itself simply not hard to do (just promise them more of what they want and work backwards from there)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

it's because he knows how to dupe greedy people, which is in itself simply not hard to do (just promise them more of what they want and work backwards from there)

but just let me toss the dice again with the house money and I can fix this

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i think you have to consider that the typical person here has strong subject matter knowledge, so here's a bias with "oh this is obvious" when that's not necessarily the case. when someone talks about needing to "decentralize" the "oligarchical payments regime" or whatever, to the average person that may sound reasonable, but to posters here who can participate in the discussion at more than a superficial level it's nonsense because visa/mc exists for a reason. some stuff probably is inexcusable -- and citron actually takes the vc class to task in a different article appropriately called "the rot economy" -- but we've been laughing at crypto for a long time and that's a confluence of specific knowledge or desire to dig deeper that isn't omnipresent even if you aren't a credulous vc idiot.

the alternate, less charitable explanation is that the typical person is also an idiot.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

as a counterargument to that, see the sheer number of people who have said "it can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

that's usually after a yosposter converts the crazy made-for-vc language into something a normal human would write. we're often eliding the step where we stop, take a second to process whatever bafflegab was presented, and spit out the real meaning in plain terms. see, e.g., the gulf between what people promise with nfts versus what it actually is.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

kw0134 posted:

the typical person is also an idiot.

i mean, what are the odds?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"heh, I'm not the average person"

--90% of the human race

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

haveblue posted:

"heh, I'm not the average person"

--90% of the human race

Technically they are all correct.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Is this javascript vulnerability just this one from 2018 https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchai...five-years-ago/ coming around again?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

infernal machines posted:

i mean, what are the odds?

no don't mention odds the ghost of sbf will appear

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

divabot posted:

Is this javascript vulnerability just this one from 2018 https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchai...five-years-ago/ coming around again?

hahahahahah YES IT IS

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

shame on an IGA posted:

hahahahahah YES IT IS

wait is that the one that was just spitting out the number 4 repeatedly or is this another one

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

wait is that the one that was just spitting out the number 4 repeatedly or is this another one
https://youtu.be/03UomoaO4VQ

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

at one point they were using a web service for number generation over http (because why would your wallet seed need to be secure over the wire?) that then migrated to https only and wallets were being seeded with "301" for some time

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

infernal machines posted:

at one point they were using a web service for number generation over http (because why would your wallet seed need to be secure over the wire?) that then migrated to https only and wallets were being seeded with "301" for some time

lol

i'll never stop laughing at the foibles of languages that treat types as an inconvenient problem to be solved by "common sense" as long as i live because people will keep doing this dumb poo poo forever

ah no see it's garbage collected, don't worry you'll never make circular dependencies and leak anyway, and dynamically typed which means you can evaluate a dictionary as a boolean, don't worry you'll never do it by accident, and it doesn't have nulls so it's Safe(tm) because you never get nullpointerexceptions. well it has nulls but we hacked in the ? operator to mean "do this if it's not null and otherwise silently fail and fall through" which means it's safu and you don't have to worry about anything just code it up bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i loved when some bitcoin thing was using a random website for their time server or something like that and the guy running it figured out what all the traffic was from and changed the site to just say gently caress off