Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah because Sony don’t allow third party controllers, so if you’re using dinput on a device it’s probably Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

One of the cool Deck touchpad things I only realized a month or two ago is that small radial menus are a strict superset of a dpad mapped to touchpad. Which is quite a sentence so unwrapping it:
- I often map the Deck's left touchpad to an extra dpad if I only need that many extra keys in my layout.
- For The Witcher 3 I decided on a radial menu for the games 5 signs, which I duly mapped onto left touchpad.
- But I don't even look anymore and can just click either the 4 corners of the touchpad or the center of the top edge to directly fire the sign (using a mod that immediately fires the sign instead of just selecting it).

It's basically a dpad with arbitrary numbers of inputs. But you have to be careful with how many though. 5 works for me because 4 corners plus middle of top edge is accurate. 6 or 7 may be awkward, haven't tried. 8 should be just fine though: 4 corners + middle of each edge.

I haven't moved the menu to where it no longer shows, but I could. It's that easy to hit the right spot.

I have the key event fire only on release, not on click. Gives you some leeway if you click too early and need to slide your finger over.

This works in part because of how small the Deck's touchpad is. It's a really nice size for me. A little bit of curvature, but not as much as the Steam Controller would have been nice but this is great as is.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 14, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Does anyone use DS4windows or do they just use the steam configuration? I know Steam Deck wouldn't need DS4Windows, but if you do poo poo on Windows people on the internet swear by it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

jokes posted:

Does anyone use DS4windows or do they just use the steam configuration? I know Steam Deck wouldn't need DS4Windows, but if you do poo poo on Windows people on the internet swear by it.

I use DS4Windows for games that don’t play nice with Steam Input, like most of Game Pass.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Last time I used DS4Windows was for using the DS4's gyro with some emulator that required that little helper program that feeds gyro events over UDP - I think it was for BotW so must have been the Wii U emu. But it was literal years before that.

Steam Input just works for all my needs these days. It handles the DualSense's gyro I'm pretty sure and I thought it could handle the DS4 as well but I seem to have give all of mine away and can't check.

Besides, Steam Input has a good way to save your configs in the cloud and all that other good stuff you need to really remap inputs in anger. It even lets you use the (new?) search function to find your configs for other games and even other controllers and apply them to this other game - which may not be perfect but is a hell of a good start to a new config.

My new favorite thing with it is that I can go into Desktop mode and map everything very quickly using M&KB to navigate around, add descriptions, etc. Saves a lot of time over doing the same thing in Game mode.

The actual export and config management is still a mess of buggy code, but if you don't care about having half a dozen copies of your configs that you can never delete or update again it's great. Or the occasional crash of the Steam Deck in Game mode because you were trying to save a config - it's literally the only crashes I remember, saving a config. I want to actually see that code - maintained only by the newest intern every summer I'm sure.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jokes posted:

If you're in Windows just use Steam Input in Windows, if you're playing a Game Pass game, you can use glossi. I don't even use DS4Windows on my desktop anymore seems kinda superfluous at this point.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I went from not really caring much about the oled to listing my deck for sale today to see if I get any bites. Welp looks like it'll be gone today and I hope I can get one on the 16th. :v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/ondeck/status/1724543934867837212?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How long do steam refunds to credit cards take usually cause I ordered a 512 gig refurbished deck one hour before the oled announcement, cancelled it immediately on steam and was granted a refund but no money has been returned to my bank account yet.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Up to 7 days

Not that it matters if you're looking to buy an oled soon but you did select your original payment method for the refund to be credited to and not your Steam wallet, right?

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
If you are using 3.5 on the preview channel, don't do today's update. It forces HDR on, and performance tanks in most titles I tried.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
We may not get the Dreck Down Under, but for whatever reason, Kogan (a website in Australia) has a Pre-Sale for a Direct Import for the OLED editions.

... and I'm 1.5k AUD poorer this morning.

It is my birthday next week, and my wife will benefit from my 2TB LCD model. Its expected ship date is 21st December. Jesus, I hope it's wrong and the 'direct import' is a sure thing.

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

v1ld posted:

- For The Witcher 3 I decided on a radial menu for the games 5 signs, which I duly mapped onto left touchpad.

Holy poo poo nice

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Rinkles posted:

The grip feels smaller on the Ultimate. It might just be the angle, but in effect, for me, it makes using the dpad less comfortable on the Ultimate.

Does this work for Bluetooth? On Amazon it appears to have a wireless dongle

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waiting for the OLED 2 with better color scheme

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Does this work for Bluetooth? On Amazon it appears to have a wireless dongle

There are 2 versions of the Ultimate, 2.4ghz and Bluetooth. The Bluetooth version comes with a 2.4ghz dongle anyway though and can work with either. Just check the listing to make sure it's the Bluetooth one. It's real convenient if like me you want one controller for both your Docked Deck and Switch since the 2.4g dongle can go in the Dock and then the Switch gets it on Bluetooth.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

njsykora posted:

There are 2 versions of the Ultimate, 2.4ghz and Bluetooth. The Bluetooth version comes with a 2.4ghz dongle anyway though and can work with either. Just check the listing to make sure it's the Bluetooth one. It's real convenient if like me you want one controller for both your Docked Deck and Switch since the 2.4g dongle can go in the Dock and then the Switch gets it on Bluetooth.

Turns out the 2.4Ghz model actually has a BT module as well, it just wasn't activate by default. The latest firmware unlocks it, however. There's no physcial switch, obviously. You turn it on by holding the profile button for 5 seconds when in D-Input mode.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Oh word?

It's been driving me nuts to find a Bluetooth controller with A/B button configuration instead of B/A. I guess Xbox and steam deck are A/B but the switch is B/A?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Oh word?

It's been driving me nuts to find a Bluetooth controller with A/B button configuration instead of B/A. I guess Xbox and steam deck are A/B but the switch is B/A?

yeah, but most controllers default to the Xbox layout on pc even if their buttons say otherwise.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Where's the heinous cyberchuck edition?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MORE COLORWAYS.

Ahem sorry

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Just put $600 in my Steam wallet, I'm ready to grab one hopefully. Sadly, I have an all day work project that day, but I can sneak away around the time of the launch and try to order one.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Panfilo posted:

Oh word?

You can flip that in settings.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Party Boat posted:

Up to 7 days

Not that it matters if you're looking to buy an oled soon but you did select your original payment method for the refund to be credited to and not your Steam wallet, right?

Yes, of course. I'm just surprised cause all game refunds to Paypal are instant.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

jokes posted:

reWASD is the current gold standard in controller mapping. You can also just use Steam.

My last experience with DS4Windows was also CEMU with hooks to use the gyro in BotW. With a DualSense and Yuzu I don't need to set anything up like that for TotK. My DS4 doesn't turn on anymore and if I want an older PS form factor I'll probably reach for a Dual Shock 2. I almost never want triggers to be analog.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Rolo posted:

MORE COLORWAYS.

Ahem sorry
I legitimately want a Steam Deck in the OG Steam colors. Two tones of drab green, a few white and pale yellow bits. That thing would look like a Quake 2 weapon.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I would be convinced to buy an OLED if it came in Atomic Purple.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ds4windows was always very hit and miss for me so I paid for a thing called DSX in the steam store that does the same thing with a few extra bells on but works for everything I’ve ever thrown at it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FrickenMoron posted:

Yes, of course. I'm just surprised cause all game refunds to Paypal are instant.
This is also an order of magnitude more money than a typical Steam game purchase.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Vlaphor posted:

Just put $600 in my Steam wallet, I'm ready to grab one hopefully. Sadly, I have an all day work project that day, but I can sneak away around the time of the launch and try to order one.

is putting the money in your Steam Wallet the thing to do?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If they're doing the deposit preorder it's completely unnecessary.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It would cut down on a step if they’re just gonna put them up for direct sale but yeah if it’s deposits only like the originals then it’s overkill.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I was under the impression that they go up for sale fully in Thursday. No deposit. Unless they're shipping later?

Yeah it sounds like they ship on the 16th.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Ineffiable posted:

I was under the impression that they go up for sale fully in Thursday. No deposit. Unless they're shipping later?

Yeah it sounds like they ship on the 16th.

I get paid tomorrow... I can afford to straight up buy the new model, and I'd like to, but it'd be irresponsible to do so without someone definitely interested in buying my current Deck to recoup some of the cost...

drat you adulthood! :argh:

Also, is the special color Deck only available in the highest cost SKU? I was thinking about buying the 512GB OLED, as I don't really think I need the matte screen since I don't typically play outdoors or in harshly lit areas.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have Dolphin installed for F-Zero GX, and I'm thinking of getting Pikmin 1 and 2 on there as well. Are there any special fan-updated versions I should be aware of?

I'm not looking to get into Wii-pointer shenanigans with the Wii ports, unless that's actually less of a hassle than I think it is. And I'm not looking for the Switch ports.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 15, 2023

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is putting the money in your Steam Wallet the thing to do?

I'm just thinking what if there is a delay/issue in processing the credit card/paypal that results in me losing my space. Somewhat ridiculous I know, but wouldn't also be the first time it happened (lost an MSRP 3080 back in the bad days of GPU scalping due to that).

Nothing I can't afford, and I'll be selling my old SD with the 512gb drive installed for $300 which I don't see a problem in moving.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

njsykora posted:

Yeah because Sony don’t allow third party controllers, so if you’re using dinput on a device it’s probably Android.

My Scuff or whatever one was illegal? It’s even cooler now!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

10AM Eastern tomorrow for the frantic clicking, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Subjunctive posted:

10AM Eastern tomorrow for the frantic clicking, right?

It's 10am pst, 1pm est.