Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Didn't follow the whole hole conversation so apologies if this is off the mark: But figuring out your cable fishing path might be enough of an excuse to buy a little wireless endoscope that connects to your phone and will give you video of wherever you can fish it.

Nice option to have anytime you need to peek behind walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

You're cutting one hole. You do not need to learn how to use/control an oscillating tool to do this job. You're just making it harder on yourself if you do.

You need a jab saw: https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-Tools-Standard-Drywall-2014102/dp/B000B3EGN8/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=drywall+saw&sr=8-5

As a fun bonus these are excellent for carving pumpkins.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Are secondary lint filters a good option for further reducing the amount of lint in your dryer vent, or does the reduction in airflow cause more problems than it solves?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have always seen them as just another lint collector on the exhaust line.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think a secondary lint filter is good if your dryer's lint filter really sucks. Your vents will still slowly accumulate lint that you need to clean out every decade

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
edit: wrong thread.
I have to restore a house to modern conditions. Took some finish off of the kitchen wood to get the grime off. I think the grease is so caked on that it will never come off.

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 11, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cheese Thief posted:

edit: wrong thread.
I have to restore a house to modern conditions. Took some finish off of the kitchen wood to get the grime off. I think the grease is so caked on that it will never come off.

Use TSP-PF

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

TerminalSaint posted:

Are secondary lint filters a good option for further reducing the amount of lint in your dryer vent, or does the reduction in airflow cause more problems than it solves?

I installed one of these inline traps about six or seven years ago, and it's something that should just be standard imho. My exhaust has stayed largely lint free after this filter, it's like installing gutter guards. We have a nice new LG dryer that we use in delicates mode and wash very gently with tap cold, and this thing still accumulates an appreciable sheet every few cycles. You won't regret it, and will probably be appalled you didn't have it sooner.

On the topic of laundry room must haves, water hammer arresters really ought to be required by code by all washing machine water supply connections. Water hammer arresters allow for rapid pressurization expansion when the supply valve opens and closes, which prevents the connector crimp on the lines from being honed to a knife's edge over time. Water hammer action is what causes supply lines to leak and fail over time, and why we must replace them every 5ish years. 30$ and three minutes screwing these things on can save you thousands of dollars in water damage.

Same idea as a whole home surge protector, that should also be standard as it's a cheap insurance policy for all the expensive stuff we have plugged into outlets.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Catatron Prime posted:

On the topic of laundry room must haves, water hammer arresters really ought to be required by code by all washing machine water supply connections. Water hammer arresters allow for rapid pressurization expansion when the supply valve opens and closes, which prevents the connector crimp on the lines from being honed to a knife's edge over time. Water hammer action is what causes supply lines to leak and fail over time, and why we must replace them every 5ish years. 30$ and three minutes screwing these things on can save you thousands of dollars in water damage.

Oh, good call, my washer valves definitely hammer. I see you can get them with 3/8" compression fittings too, so my fridge is getting one as well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Happy carefree relaxing weekend everyone!

Turned out to be this fucker right here, conveniently positioned right next to the tub at the faucet end and at a low point in the tile floor, but hidden behind the door when you open it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Very, very common leak area.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Man I am so glad I spotted a crack in the grout in my shower after cleaning it up in preparation for installing a new glass niche. Fixed it first thing, Saturday.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Grout isn't a water barrier fwiw

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I know, but I don't really know whether there's a plastic membrane underneath the grout (there probably is).

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Had a mild spook when our gas stove put out orange flames this morning. Research indicated it was likely because we’ve run a humidifier overnight a few nights to help my daughter with her toddler gunk, but the gas company does free checks so we had them out to confirm no concerns.

It was 100% the added humidity burning off. A few hours with some windows open and the flame is back to normal.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Catatron Prime posted:

I installed one of these inline traps about six or seven years ago, and it's something that should just be standard imho. My exhaust has stayed largely lint free after this filter, it's like installing gutter guards. We have a nice new LG dryer that we use in delicates mode and wash very gently with tap cold, and this thing still accumulates an appreciable sheet every few cycles. You won't regret it, and will probably be appalled you didn't have it sooner.

Same idea as a whole home surge protector, that should also be standard as it's a cheap insurance policy for all the expensive stuff we have plugged into outlets.

Thanks for this - I grabbed a couple of water hammer arresters and installed them, and while doing so found that the hot water washer tube was rusted and corroded on the pipe. Cleaned things up real well and installed new tubes for both hot and cold water, now connected to the arresters. I imagine that level of rust was a disaster waiting to happen! And now my washer is so silent too!

I've read through the install instructions for the whole home surge protector a few times, and want to make sure I'm not an idiot. To install this, I need to actually turn off the electricity coming into my house out at the meter, not at the panel itself - otherwise even with the panel off the wires will be hot where I am installing this (not on a single circuit obviously). Right? Maybe it is just the manual terminology that I'm not familiar with, but it doesn't really explicity state that a whole bunch anywhere...

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

PainterofCrap posted:

Very, very common leak area.

When I went to Australia I noticed that everywhere I stayed the tubs had a lip on the edge. Just a little angle upward. Any water on the tub runs back in to the tub.

Why american tub tops are flat and run water down on to the floor is beyond me. Dumbest poo poo ever. It's literally a basin for water. Make it so the water stays IN.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

LloydDobler posted:

When I went to Australia I noticed that everywhere I stayed the tubs had a lip on the edge. Just a little angle upward. Any water on the tub runs back in to the tub.

Why american tub tops are flat and run water down on to the floor is beyond me. Dumbest poo poo ever. It's literally a basin for water. Make it so the water stays IN.

Prolly a packing optimization, gotta save that 1mm.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Catatron Prime posted:

That reminds me I need to get around to changing out the breaker on my home surge protector, it was installed with a way smaller breaker than the surge protector specs call for (15A instead of 50A).

Another thing I've been meaning to do that was suggested when I had the home inspected is replace the lines to the washer with braided ones. When they fail its a small slow leak rather than a big mess of a leak. I should order those and hammer arresters now.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Worth noting that combination whole house surge protector / breaker combo units are now a thing. Allows the breaker spaces to be used for things other than the surge protector.

https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/us/Catalog/Product/?mlfb=US2%3AQSA2020SPD

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Struensee posted:

Always do twice as many drops as you think you need
Then again, a friend wired his entire house with AppleTalk cabling back in the '80s. I hope he left pull strings as well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Then again, a friend wired his entire house with AppleTalk cabling back in the '80s. I hope he left pull strings as well.

AppleTalk was CAT3, so maybe he can run DSL to each room now :)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My house has at least two coax drops in every room. Every. loving. room.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Johnny Truant posted:

Mine has phone jacks, but instead of running the wires through the walls they ran them along the molding and then painted over them 15 times. :v: At some point I'll have to tear them out and then repaint it all. But not this day.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Mine has phone jacks, but instead of running the wires through the walls they ran them along the molding and then painted over them 15 times. :v: At some point I'll have to tear them out and then repaint it all. But not this day.

I think our POs were distantly related: about half of the coax cables were run through my HVAC ducts :suicide:

At least the fuckin mile of speaker cable was easily yankable...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh mine too. We had the boomierist of boomy POs with cable boxes EVERYWHERE. Including the bathroom. They even left the TV mount in there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm in an apartment that's similarly coax-ridden but it was kind of useful for running MoCa rather than having to do ethernet drops, which I wouldn't have been allowed to do anyway. I get gigabit speeds on it which is a hell of a lot faster than what's coming through the wall and beats the gently caress out of wifi backhaul in a high traffic dense neighborhood.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Johnny Truant posted:

I just had cat6a run everywhere, at least 2 drops in every room with 4 to office and living room, single drops for WAPs and cameras. I am sure whoever is after me will rue me as well.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

TheBacon posted:

I just had cat6a run everywhere, at least 2 drops in every room with 4 to office and living room, single drops for WAPs and cameras. I am sure whoever is after me will rue me as well.
Each of us becomes gary.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
When we did my mom's house 15 years ago (yeesh) and worked with some home A/V people, they had us run 2 coax, a cat 5 for data, and a cat 5 for phone to every room. Who knows how useful any of that is now, she sold the place like a decade ago but even then she never really used much of any of it. Just setup a wireless access point in a central closet and that was good enough for everything.

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e
My parents did a big remodel in the early 2000's and the contractors installed CAT5 in a bunch of rooms, but rather than running it all to a network closet, they just ran it between each adjacent room, so the whole house is daisy chained.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

I think our POs were distantly related: about half of the coax cables were run through my HVAC ducts :suicide:

At least the fuckin mile of speaker cable was easily yankable...

I don't understand, what are these ducts that you speak of? Do you mean the big metal cabling conduits?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FISHMANPET posted:

When we did my mom's house 15 years ago (yeesh) and worked with some home A/V people, they had us run 2 coax, a cat 5 for data, and a cat 5 for phone to every room. Who knows how useful any of that is now, she sold the place like a decade ago but even then she never really used much of any of it. Just setup a wireless access point in a central closet and that was good enough for everything.

Chances are the true genius will never be appreciated and the next owner just chucked in an ISP supplied all-in-one modem/wireless router while complaining about the ugly faceplates on the wall. It's even more distressing when you realize that's probably cat5e and good enough for gigabit throughout too.

Douche4Sale posted:

Thanks for this - I grabbed a couple of water hammer arresters and installed them, and while doing so found that the hot water washer tube was rusted and corroded on the pipe. Cleaned things up real well and installed new tubes for both hot and cold water, now connected to the arresters. I imagine that level of rust was a disaster waiting to happen! And now my washer is so silent too!

I've read through the install instructions for the whole home surge protector a few times, and want to make sure I'm not an idiot. To install this, I need to actually turn off the electricity coming into my house out at the meter, not at the panel itself - otherwise even with the panel off the wires will be hot where I am installing this (not on a single circuit obviously). Right? Maybe it is just the manual terminology that I'm not familiar with, but it doesn't really explicity state that a whole bunch anywhere...

He-ey, cool! That's great to get all that fixed before it hits failure mode!

Ymmv, but your distribution panel *should* have a Main Shut-Off Breaker Switch to kill the flow of power to the bus bars feeding everything in the panel. After you flip that, your panel should be inert below the main breaker, but always check with a voltage sniffer and/or multimeter to be absolutely sure. If you have enough extra space in your panel, it's just a matter of twisting out some extra covers so there's space for the surge arrestor, clipping it in, connecting the wiring to the neutral bus bar, reinstalling the cover, and flipping the power back on. If you have any uncertainty, or an older panel without a main shutoff, or not enough room to accommodate a standalone surge protector, I can't imagine it would be too expensive to hire it out.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Please feast your eyes on the insane genius that is NJAN99's self-build.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3999215&userid=0&perpage=20&pagenumber=82#post532912935

The link is to a random post on the network wiring he built but the entire thread is solid gold.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spf3million posted:

Please feast your eyes on the insane genius that is NJAN99's self-build.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3999215&userid=0&perpage=20&pagenumber=82#post532912935

The link is to a random post on the network wiring he built but the entire thread is solid gold.

This is the guy who started out by getting absolutely rolled over by the council and code enforcement, didn't know to push back/hire an engineer adna a solicitor and ended up spending the value of the house on an elaborate foundation that was unnecessary right?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

This is the guy who started out by getting absolutely rolled over by the council and code enforcement, didn't know to push back/hire an engineer adna a solicitor and ended up spending the value of the house on an elaborate foundation that was unnecessary right?

Yes.

You could also just have typed “is a Tesla owner” and saved yourself a lot of words.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Y'all are just jealous his foundation is going to last longer than the planet.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I posted this in the Home Zone but I think that was the wrong thread and it didn't get any traction, so trying here:

A chain link fence separates my front yard from my neighbor's. I want to take it down and replace it with paving stones but my neighbor does not want to. I know I need to get a survey, but hypothetically if it's exactly on the property line, who gets to make decisions? Having a strangely hard time finding information about this.

The Washington state code only mentions the following:

"In most circumstances, a landowner who builds a boundary fence along a property line can seek reimbursement from the neighboring landowner for one-half the cost of the fence.
A landowner building a boundary fence must first give notice to the adjoining landowner.
Adjoining landowners are jointly responsible for maintaining boundary fences."

None of this helps at all and I can't find anything about taking down a fence.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It sounds like they can put up a new fence and charge you for half of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

Y'all are just jealous his foundation is going to last longer than the planet.

No, I'm pissed his foundation is so heavy it put a wobble in the earth's rotation.

Harriet Carker posted:

I posted this in the Home Zone but I think that was the wrong thread and it didn't get any traction, so trying here:

Because this is a question for a real estate attorney who practices in your specific area.