Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Are there infantry models folks like using besides IWMs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Magnetic North posted:

"No no, it's a common mistranslation. It's actually the 'Robble' named after a once-famous and possibly sexy meat sandwich thief."

:hmmyes:

One of my favorite bits from TRO3026 is a pack rat ammo truck with the moniker "Mickey Rat" suggesting that Disney has 1000 year cultural cachet but it mutates a bit telephone-game style through interstellar expansion and warfare.

LaSquida posted:

Rebasing MWDA works fine IMO, as does CAV infantry.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Owlbear Camus posted:

One of my favorite bits from TRO3026 is a pack rat ammo truck with the moniker "Mickey Rat" suggesting that Disney has 1000 year cultural cachet but it mutates a bit telephone-game style through interstellar expansion and warfare.

I'm honestly surprised Space Disney didn't sue Clan Sea Fox for giving the Mad Cat III Mickey Mouse ears.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

LaSquida posted:

I quite like the Khurasan 6mm guys I have, but I later heard that the owner is a less-than-cool dude so I'm not sure if I should really recommend them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LaSquida posted:

I use Heroics & Ros 6mm British Infantry for my generics. They have L-85 rifles and as we all know bullpups are more sci-fi.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have finished another lance. I'm surprised at just how many loving mechs are in plastic at this point. Only the Axman is a repeat for me as I had an old IWM one and I don't think that really counts as it's not really overlap with other lance packs. But it never hurts to have two Axmen (Axmans?), right?

Edit: Bonus Axman vs Axman!

Are those SwordSworn?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

LaSquida posted:

Brigade models have a bunch of infantry for rock bottom prices. 24 dudes for £3.

The older sculpts are very small and basic but the newer ones (Polish, CDSU, not-Arabs and South Africans) are very sharp and easy to paint. You can easily do an entire platoon in an hour. They are bigger though and probably closer to 7-8mm.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

FishFood posted:

I quite like the Khurasan 6mm guys I have, but I later heard that the owner is a less-than-cool dude so I'm not sure if I should really recommend them.

really? i love their minis, what's the word?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

LaSquida posted:

I'm fond of GHQ's modern infantry. $14 for 60+

The modern French and German infantry always struck me as being particularly nice for BattleTech, since they'd easily pass as Free Worlders and Kuritans, or Davions and Lyrans respectively

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Are those SwordSworn?

Not explicitly, but I think we've talked before how I used to play them in MWDA 20 years ago and I really like green and blue as a color scheme. I've done a few different versions of this paint scheme and it's fast and reliably looks good so I've been painting more mechs like it. If you want to call them SwordSworn, then sure they are.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

really? i love their minis, what's the word?

I think there were rumblings either in here or in the TG as an Industry thread about Khurasan not paying sculptors very well or paying late, I don't remember exactly. I'll see if I can find the posts.

EDIT: Here are the relevant quotes from the TG as an industry thread, I misremembered and it sounds like he pays on time but is crotchety and might be a pain to work with.

Hedningen posted:

Yeah, even the smaller stuff has this kind of weirdness, such as the apparent jackassery of Khurasan miniatures, whose issues include supposedly copying lines after being rebuffed from buying them, sockpuppet reviews, and trying to sculpt stuff from the currently-ongoing Ukraine conflict, which felt oddly tasteless.

Shame, too, as he’s a fantastic sculptor in 15mm and has a huge varied set of lines.

Hedningen posted:

I think it’s a mix, as far as I can tell. At the least, I don’t see credits on his page apart from the Tom Meier stuff, which if you’re gonna credit anyone, you’ve gotta credit. I know a few freelancers that have expressed a general dislike of working with him. I think he’s got some sculptors he works with regularly, but tracking down sculptor credits is tricky without looking at an ancient blog.

FishFood fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 12, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Played a 2v2 game with my son and his buddy on one side and me on the other. The buddy still can't get his head around movement and was more concerned with moving himself into the least convenient place possible at all times. He basically fired his PPC like twice as a result. The Guillotine stalked the Nightstar to death despite taking an absolute beating. However, the jump jets proved too effective and a lucky critical hit on the Nightstar's gauss rifle basically sealed the game.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

FishFood posted:

I think there were rumblings either in here or in the TG as an Industry thread about Khurasan not paying sculptors very well or paying late, I don't remember exactly. I'll see if I can find the posts.

EDIT: Here are the relevant quotes from the TG as an industry thread, I misremembered and it sounds like he pays on time but is crotchety and might be a pain to work with.

I seem to recall a phase of unhappiness with Khurasan on TMP as well, and they are well liked there. Something about loss of comms and stuff not being sent out. But that may be a transient thing.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
anyone ever use these?

https://www.fortressminiaturesandgames.com/collections/strato-infantry-6mm/products/stormbreaker-heavy-support-x18

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Another BT day at the local FLGS. This time it was any era heavies and assault mechs, 10k BV.

I went with 3062-3069 mechs: Stalker STK-6M (my most recent finished mech), BattleMaster BLR-4S, Warhammer WHM-9S (another recently painted and never fielded mech) and Thunderbolt TDR-11SE, all with 3/4 pilots. It seems that if I’m told ”any era” I tend to pick mechs in the Jihad/Civil War sort of period. I generally like using variants that retain the character of the mech and I guess those eras have variants that do that while also upgrading the weaponry and heat sinks without getting too crazy with the most advanced equipment.

My opponent had mechs of similar age, fielding an Atlas, an Orion, an Awesome and a Rifleman with a true elite group of 2/2, 2/3 and 3/3 pilots.

In a battle of lumbering giants it was the 4/6/6 Thunderbolt that took on the role of the nimble close-range striker. As battle lines were taking form, it performed a daring jump into the rear of the Awesome, not scoring too much damage but drawing the focus of the entire enemy lance to unload into it. It failed a PSR but was luckily able to scramble away from the enemy and jump back into their rear again later. Losing its once-used MML7 in the salvo was a bad hit but it had some juice left with a snub PPC and three ER medium lasers. Thunderbolt is and remains a reliable performer in any era. It really is the heavy Wolverine.

I’ve had bad luck with BattleMasters who have usually failed to deliver in the way I’ve expected whenever I’ve fielded one. The 4S wasn’t looking great in the beginning either as I whiffed a ton of shots with the gauss rifle and the ER lasers. However, closer up the gauss fire started hitting and the enemy started feeling its bite. Or, perhaps the enemy started biting the gauss fire? Yep, the Orion got hit in the face and asploded.

I fielded a Stalker and a Warhammer for the first time. I’d played with someone else’s Stalker once and against a few of them, so I knew the profile - and love the look. Old Stalkers look like dogshit but the modern CGL one is a gorgeous design, definitely of my favorites. This Stalker certainly performed in its purpose as a slowly but steadily approaching wall of lasers and missiles. It didn’t do anything truly spectacular but the constant fire from its large and medium lasers and Artemis LRM15s freely softened up the enemy while its considerable armor left them looking for softer targets to hit.

The Warhammer did exactly what it was created to do: park up high and rain down PPC fire on the enemy. Once it was parked, I’m pretty sure it hit every single turn with at least one of its ER PPCs. Medium range being 14 hexes and it standing still meant it needed to roll 6s most of the time. As a more advanced version of the Warhammer it had zero issues with heat and was never even scratched, sitting so far away. Its final shot was a clean hit in the Atlas’s face that the Stalker had just rattled with its large laser in the previous round. The only thing left of the pilot was a skull inside the much larger skull of the Atlas.

The dice were definitely in my favor. Despite my opponent’s generally slightly better target numbers due to higher gunnery skills and me losing initiative most of the time (having an initiative sink Warhammer was a blessing!), he had a difficult time landing hits where it counted. The Atlas’s heavy gauss rifle missed every single time - apart from the one time it hit the BattleMaster’s leg… which was in partial cover. I however rolled mightily. The second-to-last round saw both his severely weakened Orion and his almost undamaged Atlas fall to headshots. We knew it was game over at that point but we decided to play one more round, where we witnessed a successful DFA from my Thunderbolt that ultimately managed to do little of consequence to the Rifleman.

Fun playing with HEAVY gear! I don’t think I’ve played with a lance of this tonnage before. It does change the game a little. Everything is slower and has more armor so you’d think the game would take a lot longer, but then again everything has more and bigger weapons that do more damage, so you roll more PSRs (which means you need to pump up that piloting skill!) and the sheer number and destructivity of weapons means critical hits do come into play relatively quickly. Also, said weapons tend to hit more often as it’s tough to get those modifiers up with slow rear end mechs, so terrain and positioning are even more important - although it’s not quite as awful to have a mech stand in the open for one turn. Also, it’s funny that a mech being able to jump 6 hexes would be far and away the most mobile out of everything on the battlefield. The TDR managed to rack up the biggest target number modifiers in the game which made it a less desirable target despite it being maybe my most important mech. My aforementioned daring jump was a risk and it took a beating because of it, but Thunderbolts just refuse to die.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 12, 2023

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

These are great! Is there a place that sells them currently, or is it a "wait until it's back in stock" situation?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

While the Amarok is prohibitively expensive, I can probably see it coming in the game I'll be in, given the GM's track record.

Also, I have a feeling the Loki Mk II's not going to be in the game, I'm struggling to find any evidence that the Wolves produce it themselves at all. Maybe field them, but not as a primary representative Heavy 'Mech.

That Hammerhead seems like it could represent a new paradigm in 'Mechs that could fill multiple roles. Endurance enough to hold a line, but also nasty enough to hunt slow juggernaut targets together with a pack.

My concern with the weirder Clan stuff that runs multiple speed enhancers at once is that someone will inevitably use one such example to make a devastating charge attack. At our large tables in the FLGS, the terrain is often relatively open, seldomly broken up by woods hexes and small hills here and there. I think a lot of some of the crazier stuff to happen like Charging and DFAs and exotic melee weapons could come down to how the pilots are going to be balanced against each other

WWE Trip Report: It Was Rigged Anyways

Didn't have to worry much about new tech, most forces were just modestly upgraded classics. Also, the factions ended up much more diverse, the Clan side was Wolves + Falcons + Jaguars + Ravens.

We had a lance of UrbanMechs go on a suicide mission and they ended up destroying one of the Falcon 'Mechs and occupied the Falcon star for 3 entire turns.

Ultimately the event was won by objective points - the Clanners didn't have to pick any targets in particular to score them. The Capellans specifically had to headhunt Bloodnamed and Star Commanders and that was not easy with a force that was overtonnage by 200(!) for balancing and no Gauss Rifles.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

If you're an Euro you can buy them directly from Strato Minis which is Polish.

In other news I finished my Death Commandos. The "heroes" of Jeronimo, Xi Company

Assault Lance

Battle Lance

Medium Lance featuring AUTRO Po Mediums

And spares

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Z the IVth posted:

In other news I finished my Death Commandos. The "heroes" of Jeronimo, Xi Company

Assault Lance

Waaaaaaaaaiiiiit a minute, the Stalker's cockpit is right on the front and not seated in that deep alcove? Mind blown.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Waaaaaaaaaiiiiit a minute, the Stalker's cockpit is right on the front and not seated in that deep alcove? Mind blown.

It is in that alcove but I couldn't get at it to jewel it so urethra cockpit it was. :science:.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gorgeous, especially the hazard striping and red gemmed canopy glass.

Is there a good online "galactic atlas" resource for campaign running with (1) planet descriptions and (2) different eras?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Is that a Crockett by the Atlas?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

biosterous posted:

inspired by someone on reddit who swapped the arms and legs of their rifleman mini, i did this:

Late, but please do this to the Falconer.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

GD_American posted:

Is that a Crockett by the Atlas?

Yes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Owlbear Camus posted:

Gorgeous, especially the hazard striping and red gemmed canopy glass.

Is there a good online "galactic atlas" resource for campaign running with (1) planet descriptions and (2) different eras?
How much detail are you looking for and how fast? Sarna is probably the best option, but finding wide-area maps for specific years can be difficult.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Z the IVth posted:

:911:

So in the store campaign I'm in, I've ended up with a Sirocco of all things. Anyone have experience with the most AT-AT-esque of 'mechs, or big quads in general?

LaSquida fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 13, 2023

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

LaSquida posted:

:911:

So in the store campaign I'm in, I've ended up with a Sirocco of all things. Anyone have experience with the most AT-AT-esque of 'mechs, or big quads in general?

Remember to use the lateral shift if you're walking backwards and need it.

Also when you have all of your legs you don't need a PSR to stand, so you can turn partial cover into to full cover (by going prone) to limit your exposure to fire from same elevation level or lower.

edit - also remember you can kick backwards at anyone foolish enough to go range 1 with you in your rear hex side

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 13, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

raverrn posted:

none of the pics on sarna are very good for swapping limbs imo

i have already made a falconmoth, if that interests you:

adding fire moth arms to mechs is fun and easy

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Falconer's hips actually are lower than its arms, it's just so goofy you can't tell.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I hope at some point they give the Falconer a Classics style redo. Classics has been pretty good at salvaging otherwise terrible looking designs such as the Stalker or nonsensical ones like the Nova or any of the other dumb 'Make the Hips and the Shoulders the same joint' designs.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
the crusadicorn

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He looks friendly :3:

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

raverrn posted:

This sculpt I found on Thingiverse sadly falls short of the vision. On left is literal swap and the arm and leg locations are so close it only makes it weirder

on the right is me taking liberties with Falconer anatomy, and you get a lost member of the Archer/Vulture/Avatar family????

Ivan Prisypkin fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 15, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The tiny T-Rex arms coming out of the chin are a key feature of the design and I will fight anyone who tries to change them

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
All the Falconer really needs to be less silly is redesigned legs and changes to make it clear that its big back segment are jump jet pods. Separate them from the hips more, remove the gigantic hip spines, give it some bigger feet so it looks like it might be able to stand unassisted; and maybe give it the stalker II (or even MW Dark Age) treatment with reverse-joint (or digitigrade) legs and it'd look pretty ok.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

and maybe give it the stalker II (or even MW Dark Age) treatment with reverse-joint (or digitigrade) legs and it'd look pretty ok.

I always thought it was a missed opportunity to distinguish between the hip types mechanically, maybe with quirks or something.

Digitigrade mechs with longer strides could be faster or more agile in exchange for worse kicking or stability, for instance.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well, apologies to whichever goon liked it as a child, but Highlander Gambit is the story of how Pardoe tried to re-write Wolves on the Border for the Highlanders, but doesn't understand what a "mercenary" is so the random FedCom government flunky tries to get the CEO of the regiment fired. :smithicide:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

Well, apologies to whichever goon liked it as a child, but Highlander Gambit is the story of how Pardoe tried to re-write Wolves on the Border for the Highlanders, but doesn't understand what a "mercenary" is so the random FedCom government flunky tries to get the CEO of the regiment fired. :smithicide:

Can't believe Pardoe completely missed the point of what makes characters relatable and sympathetic. Also, he gave his random FedCom flunky the exact same name as the Duke of Coventry for no reason except to make things really confusing. I spent the entire book wondering when this guy was going to play his "I own CMW, get hosed" card.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
For all that people complain that Stackpole's antagonists are nearly always cardboard cutouts, they at least have a shape and definition and occasionally even have motivation.

Pardoe's antagonists rarely ever achieve the coveted second dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nicholas Kerensky hated the Wolverines because they had too much freedom. Which is the exact same motivation Sgt. Slaughter had for turning heel on Hulk Hogan.

Pardoe is as good a writer (and person) as Vince McMahon but he's way less successful.