Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Nebalebadingdong posted:

second pirate demolisher finished

they're in love

My only tiny criticism of your stellar work is your wear and tear can look just a bit too uniform. It gives it a more stylized, cartoony look - if it's what you're going for then excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Z the IVth posted:

My only tiny criticism of your stellar work is your wear and tear can look just a bit too uniform. It gives it a more stylized, cartoony look - if it's what you're going for then excellent.

well i do like a cartoony look. not sure what you mean tho. that the rust spots are too evenly spaced? i can see that

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nebalebadingdong posted:

well i do like a cartoony look. not sure what you mean tho. that the rust spots are too evenly spaced? i can see that

Yeah. That's what I mean. It doesn't look natural. The fenders and bottom edges of the armor skirts would be more heavily weathered than the top sides, and the weathering on the edges of the panels would be more asymmetrical - the external facing edges would wear more than the internal ones. Same with the rust - it would collect in areas water would flow from - vents and edges rather than being spotted uniformly across.

To be fair part of it is personal choice as I do like a more realistic look and your style is a much more stylized.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, it's more obvious on the skull tank than the other tank, but it's just a choice, not a problem.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i could see that. i wanted to convey something more on the lines of "we left this out in the rain" rather than being heavily used

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

biosterous posted:

five points of heat for ending in a fire hex, two points of heat for each fire hex that you have exited (so ending in a fire hex without touching any others that turn will be 5 heat that turn, not seven). also if the hex you're standing in gets ignited, it affect your heat until next turn (so it'll probably be 2 heat for leaving the hex)

Thanks for this.

As a follow up question, one i probably should have asked the first time - does a hex that's on fire actually make smoke, or is that optional rules shenanigans?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

TheParadigm posted:

Thanks for this.

As a follow up question, one i probably should have asked the first time - does a hex that's on fire actually make smoke, or is that optional rules shenanigans?

fire creates smoke, depending on various factors - it's all in Tactical Operations

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

inspired by someone on reddit who swapped the arms and legs of their rifleman mini, i did this:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

biosterous posted:

inspired by someone on reddit who swapped the arms and legs of their rifleman mini, i did this:

Ah, the elusive Riflerunner. Or, as the kids call it, Roadman

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Thats just a falconer

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Saint Celestine posted:

Thats just a falconer

my first thought too

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

biosterous posted:

I really enjoy the ghost.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Finished up a little project, it turned out well enough. I learned some lessons though. Like instead of cutting out individual hexes and gluing them together just to bite the bullet and cut out each layer as one piece. I have a small hot wire foam cutter and initially I thought doing more than a hex or two at a time would be too difficult, but getting all the hexes to meet up right on the big pieces was a pain.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Floppychop posted:

Finished up a little project, it turned out well enough. I learned some lessons though. Like instead of cutting out individual hexes and gluing them together just to bite the bullet and cut out each layer as one piece. I have a small hot wire foam cutter and initially I thought doing more than a hex or two at a time would be too difficult, but getting all the hexes to meet up right on the big pieces was a pain.

Neat. Definitely helps a little with visualizing the terrain

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

biosterous posted:

PRAISE FIRST THOUGHT, GIVER OF WILL

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

personally i call it the Manrifle

LaSquida posted:

I really enjoy the ghost.

me too, but i can't take credit for that, or for anything other than swapping the arms and legs (and then fixing a few gaps because the original art's arms had covered some things). it's the art for the Legend Killer, from the Battletech: Legends artbook

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

biosterous posted:

personally i call it the Manrifle

me too, but i can't take credit for that, or for anything other than swapping the arms and legs (and then fixing a few gaps because the original art's arms had covered some things). it's the art for the Legend Killer, from the Battletech: Legends artbook

It's Mr McGregg, who has legs for arms and arms for legs!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

biosterous posted:

This might be as close as Battletech ever gets to having a Scrunt of their own :kimchi:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Floppychop posted:

In the days of long ago before everyone sprouted a FDM machine in their basement there was a hero that made entire 6x4 boards like this. Truly inspirational terrain.

Source (RIP Terragenesis): https://gallery.hotwirefoamfactory.com/modeling/miniature-gaming-terrain/mg_johne_b/

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

In the days of long ago before everyone sprouted a FDM machine in their basement there was a hero that made entire 6x4 boards like this. Truly inspirational terrain.

Source (RIP Terragenesis): https://gallery.hotwirefoamfactory.com/modeling/miniature-gaming-terrain/mg_johne_b/

I've made 2 mapsheets worth of hills (really 1.5 since one of them had barely any hills) for the Desert #2 and Desert #3 maps with an Ender 3. It was nearly 7 days straight of printing even with only 10% infill. These foam hills I did in a weekend. I think I prefer the foam cutter method.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

biosterous posted:

Catalyst just released a premium Rifleman in their store, so you can make it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm kinda surprised they haven't tried high-end bound printings for the TROs in limited runs. I could easily see them selling out a 500 copy run of something like that.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So in about a month CGL will announce some new forcepacks (Probably the rumored faction packs they've been planning for a while) at a con.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So in about a month CGL will announce some new forcepacks (Probably the rumored faction packs they've been planning for a while) at a con.

Just a full lance of

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have decided on the color scheme for my Snord's Irregulars lance. I don't really mind if it's canon or not because it looks loving rad. Also, I magnetized the smoke and base of the jumping Guillotine so I can switch it at will while maintaining stability.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Catalyst just released a premium Rifleman in their store, so you can make it.

someone did already

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
king of the pirates

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have decided on the color scheme for my Snord's Irregulars lance. I don't really mind if it's canon or not because it looks loving rad. Also, I magnetized the smoke and base of the jumping Guillotine so I can switch it at will while maintaining stability.

Snord's Irregulars deserve bright, stupid paint schemes. Love this!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The shoulders are a nice touch.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Is there a good writeup/example of how infantry work in Battletech anywhere? I have Total Warfare, but could really use more examples.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I loved Battletroops when I bought it, but could never get anyone to play it. I think I played like one game of it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
BattleTroops is incredibly bad and I'm also pretty sure that's not what they were asking about.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PoptartsNinja posted:

Between the Catapult II and the Raven II, the CCAF has a surprisingly large number of TSEMP Cannons at its disposal. A forced shutdown at a bad time opens the door for a Tian Zong's Gauss Rifles, a Lu Wei Bing's LB-20X, or even a Yinghuochong's Clan ER PPC to punch a big hole in something.

They've also got some melee weirdos like the Mortis and the Dola, the latter can be surprisingly nasty because of the way Vibroblades work.

And then there's their old staples like the Pillager and Yu Huang.

The elephant in the room is the Vandal OmniMech. I want to like it, it's got a neat design, I just hate every variant it has. It's like an OmniMech version of the Dragon.

Short version: CCAF always has a lot of Stealth Armor at their disposal but now they've got TSEMP Cannons. They also really love LB-20X Autocannons, which are pretty much guaranteed to Golden BB if they bring enough cluster rounds. Their 'mechs are usually either lighter weight but nimble or giant beef slabs with very little in between. They're not following the same paradigm as the rest of the Inner Sphere and it'll be interesting to see if the Wolves can cope with it.

For the Wolves, you've got the usual staples: The Hel/Loki Mk II and the Savage Wolf/Mad Cat IV can take and dish a lot of punishment, but even the Blood Reaper is pretty capable (if a bit slow).

The Tomahawk II and Alpha Wolf are both monsters, the former being basically a new Dire Wolf and the latter is essentially a Mad Cat Mk. II Mk. II (but as an OmniMech and this time they gave it Stealth Armor).

There are a few odd ducks though, like the Lobo, Wulfen, Night Wolf, Tundra Wolf, Stormwolf, and Warwolf--none of which are particularly bad (except the prime configuration of the Wulfen) but none are particularly noteworthy either.

And then there's chubby Samus Aran the Dominator, which isn't quite a trashfire but is definitely poo poo at doing the one thing it was designed to do (beat Jade Hawks)

Short version: Clan Wolf has a lot of options but a lot of them are weird and the default configurations for some of their new OmniMechs are laughably bad (UAC/2 and an ATM-3? C'mon, Wulfen Prime, you can do much better things with that tonnage than a gun whose only reasonable use is blowing up unarmored civilian vehicles!), and they're definitely suffering from both a bad case of the Wolf Wolfs and from just building too many different superweapons at once. The Wolf Clan has no less than seven heavy 'Mechs in the 65-75 ton range and for the sake of their own logistics they really need to just pick a good one (like the Loki Mk. II) and build lots of it.

'Ey so, I'm back from doing a little bit of poking around. In fact I did so much poking around that I ended up simming out part of a medium Star vs. elite Augmented Lance with a buddy, just to get an idea of what's going on.

Cappie stuff:
- Tian Zong: It's Gun Line 'Mech. Stealth really gives it that endurance you need an Assault to match.
- Lu Wei Bing: You know what can one-round a bricked-up Ferro-Lamellor Clanner? A slug to the face. 20 minus 2 damage still equals 18 damage. (Ask me how I know!) Still, needs a lot of support to be able to ambush the way it does.
- Yinghuochong: Fat Firebee is a bit slow for ilClan skirmishing, but the long range makes this okay.

Didn't get around to looking at too many other lighter designs yet. I did get a little taste of a revamped classic:
- Cataphract -5L (and -5LL by proxy): Not as focused as the Tian-Zong, but Reflective Armor and better weapon placement to swat runners makes it comparable, with a different flavor. In specific situations, it could probably push very hard with its SFE against energy boats.
And a taste of something pretty wild, due to serendipitous canon:
- Kontio: Wow. I mean yes, it's a Clan 'Mech, but i didn't think the Ti Ts'ang could be beaten. With an elite pilot, the TSM Claws just rip. With an elite gunner, it's still a chunky Fire Moth with Stealth for cover. Must Plasma Cannon this guy upon sight. Even if you hit with PCs, you may be too late if it's already behind something you're trying to protect.

Edits: eyeing the new Shrapnel Jinggaus like a snack

Woof stuff:
- Hel: looks great but isn't going to be as optimal as an Assault 'Mech w/ the same move profile. Having several+ tons more (Standard) armor is invaluable for being able to push battle lines against an opposing gun line.
- Savage Wolf: gets good mileage out of the Ferro-Lamellor, but I now see that there's significant drawbacks to taking an XXL Engine. If you're riding high on a heat curve like plenty of high-value Clan Omni configs do, eating an engine hit or a Plasma Cannon can severely limit your choices on how to move next turn. And while Jump Jets seem like an okay escape solution for that, they make DOUBLE heat minimum 6 which can make a fighting retreat pretty ineffective.
- Tomahawk II: OK I guess
- Alpha Wolf, especially the Alpha Wolf B: This one scares me. I do not like the idea of seeing one of these in a gun line. This is one of those rare moments where non-Capellan Stealth Armor is used correctly.
- Wulfen: Looking at it on paper I had some pretty high expectations for the design. The Wulfen C looks scary with the jump, but in practice it has problems (20 heat) using its lasers offensively if airborne. The Wulfen E seems like the ticket, but is appropriately very expensive to match.
- Stormwolf: almost 3.3k BV for a 50-ton 'Mech lmao. I can see where the design is trying to push the envelope for making stronger recon-in-force machines, but it's a lot of eggs being put into this one basket.
- Warwolf: Giant Shadow Hawk. Honestly not a bad bodyguard for a juggernaut Assault (not looking at you, Loki Mk II) with Reactive Armor to make Gauss oops missile platforms think twice.

A couple of sleepers:
- CRUCIBLE 1 AND CRUCIBLE 3: "Once the Gausszilla is mass-produced..."
- Lobo(!): It's that 3067 robot that Wolf players pretend doesn't exist! Check out the Lobo 2 with a cLPL and two Plasma Cannons. This era seems to give it a little bit of new life, no?
- Orion C: Big beautiful SFE Ferro-Lamellor brick that can still cause a PSR with its main armament.

Stuff I didn't get to try yet:
Heat-Resistant Armor
TSEMPs (I really hope these aren't in the game)
Other stuff like Coolant Pods, etc.

Kind of excited for my first big ilClan game this weekend. Not sure what's going to be allowed, since things like Artillery Cannons and Inferno SRMs and mines could change things drastically. Good things to remember are how the much-proliferated Angel ECM works against Streak missiles, TSM/Stealth/PPC Caps need to be tracked every turn, and just basically Good Tactics things like getting some elevation with the gun line to negate Partial Cover under BMM rules and using game aids (chips or marked coins) to track enemy ranges and plan out movement options with lighter 'Mechs.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 7, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Fun fact: the Loki Mk II actually has more pod space than an Iron Cheetah (same move profile at 100 tons). The biggest difference is the armor, naturally, but it's genuinely incredible how much gun per ton the Loki Mk II packs.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

- Kontio: Wow. ...With an elite pilot, the TSM Claws just rip.

This is basically why I hate the Kontio. The Claws have a +1 to hit natively, so you need to pay for two pilot upgrades to match an un-upgraded Ti'tsang's hit numbers, and at that point it's just so loving expensive (2294, versus the Ti'Tsang's 1880) that I'd rather have anything else than a low end melee medium regardless of what else it might have on it. Once it's upgraded it's extremely potent but 400 BV to spend somewhere else is a lot.

Also Reactive does absolutely nothing to Gauss Rifles, it only affects missiles and artillery. Ballstic-Reinforced does missiles and ballistic but has a much worse points:ton ratio. It's really easy to mix up, because you'd think that the Warwolf would have the armor that's really good against most things but then it actually just has the "don't Long Tom me please" armor which I guess is its own brand of useful but much less so in pick-up game.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 7, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Strobe posted:

BattleTroops is incredibly bad and I'm also pretty sure that's not what they were asking about.

yeah I had more of a point but lost the plot due dain bramage

Also, was it that bad? I guess I loved the idea of small unit action that could scale up

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

GD_American posted:

yeah I had more of a point but lost the plot due dain bramage

Also, was it that bad? I guess I loved the idea of small unit action that could scale up

Battletroops tracks positions by vertices and not hexes despite those things being technically similar but is arbitrarily different from the rest of BattleTech for no reason. You have what are basically off-brand TUs to setup clunky overwatch and the number of action points you have left over determines how wide your overwatch arc is, which must be tracked for every activation in case you see someone through three windows and a stand of trees 30 spaces away. In the event a Mech is present, an unarmored infantry that takes a direct hit from a Vulcan's AC/2 has a 27% chance (9+ on 2d6 for the damage location roll) to just keep on trucking and not die instantly.

It's incredibly bad.

If you want to play BattleTroops your best bet is re-skinned original XCOM.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

This was mostly just a list of units with "Wolf" in their name, but you also have to be wary of encountering Sea Fox poo poo--on both sides, really. The Thresher II's not too bad, but the Tiburon is a real monster of a light 'Mech; and the Hammerhead is both beefy and hard to knock over. for its weight. The plus side to the Sea Fox poo poo is that anyone could have it, so you're as likely to see a CCAF Tiburon as a Wolf one.

I also should've warned you about the Amarok, which is basically Clan Wolf's version of the Kodiak and is basically what happened when the Wolves bought a Hammerhead and said "Huh, hardened armor? What will the Inner Sphere think of next? Wonder what happens if we put it on a hundred ton assault 'mech with an integral supercharger?"

Which eventually leads to the Amarok 3, a 100 ton assault 'Mech that's devoting 30% of its weight to hardened armor and an explicit design goal of "build a 'Mech that can no-sell Jade Falcon DFA attacks." Which it does with gusto, the Stable quirk, and some armor spikes I'm sure some Wolf engineer just found funny.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think the Lobo is kind of cool in a Brigador way

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Thresher II is one of the worst mechs in the game by BV and is probably ~800 points overcosted.

The Tiburon is one of the very, very few Sea Fox exclusives and they jealously guard all of them.

The Amarok commits the one cardinal never-gently caress-this-up sin of Hardened Armor, which is to mount less than half of the total amount possible. You could get equivalent coverage and not slow down your fast 100 tonner by simply not using it. The 3 is the only variant that doesn't gently caress this up. In particular the Amarok innovated in the science of bad BV breakpoints by being the first 'Mech ever to get to a maximum of 7 run MP with a movement boost, making it pay for the +3 TMM but having significant difficulty actually taking advantage of it. I'm convinced that this was a slight against me, personally.

The Hammerhead is one of the best mechs in the game for its BV, full stop. Potentially the actual best. It's so goddamn good it's disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Strobe posted:

Correct. Hoping to see if there's a played-out example of infantry (or better yet, mixed infantry) somewhere.