Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I thought there was a copypaste unlock export?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
That doesn't work if the phone was already wiped

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I just had a really cool Heaven run.

I got an option for all heros cantrip all sides for 30 points.

It was offset by summon a lich boss every battle. Also was able to grab a rebalance to keep the skeletons at 2 health and I think a mana thing so I always had some burst available.

I'd love a mode that gives these big blessings offset with big curses. Right now it's just luck of the draw every once in a while (unless I'm missing a mode or something). I've been playing a lot of heaven lately.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I have too and agreed, those are the funniest runs.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Not being able to reroll starting stuff infinitely continues to be a lovely design choice. Sure, it might help players embrace chaos, but eventually you want to do something specific and a patronizing rear end message will continuously pop up to get on your way.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That's...pretty aggro, it's a fine design choice you disagree with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just make an alt. mode with infinite rerolls imo

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It's the one bad choice in an extremely good game, so it really sticks out.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Crazy how a game that's largely about dealing with the hand you're dealt has a mechanic that makes you deal with the hand you're dealt

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Arzaac posted:

Crazy how a game that's largely about dealing with the hand you're dealt has a mechanic that makes you deal with the hand you're dealt

silvergoose posted:

That's...pretty aggro, it's a fine design choice you disagree with.

It can be frustrating at times, so I can empathize with the sentiment of this being a “bad design choice” but next you’ll be complaining about slay the spire putting its custom mode off in its own corner.

A full custom mode sounds like a cool unlock though… sounds like a tough way to balance without also designing a StS style daily challenge system with defined run buff/debuffs.

Though also… a daily seed run… with a leaderboard? devs! Get to work immediately on satisfying the whims of some internet idiot who has no real context on how difficult what they’re asking for is!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MrQueasy posted:

It can be frustrating at times, so I can empathize with the sentiment of this being a “bad design choice” but next you’ll be complaining about slay the spire putting its custom mode off in its own corner.

A full custom mode sounds like a cool unlock though… sounds like a tough way to balance without also designing a StS style daily challenge system with defined run buff/debuffs.

Though also… a daily seed run… with a leaderboard? devs! Get to work immediately on satisfying the whims of some internet idiot who has no real context on how difficult what they’re asking for is!

I agree about it being a good unlock. Even just infinite rerolls on blessings would be a cool one (put it behind something tough but not impossible that wants you to mess with blessings, like a 21 turn win [20 turns is too frustrating imo])

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I haven't really been following updates but isn't customization sort of a focus of the next big update?

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
Super cool game, just bought!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I think if a design choice involves a written note from the developer pleading their case to the player, it is at the very least unbelievably inelegant.

I can appreciate the need for some restriction on rerolls to prevent new players from instantly spamming it until they get something broken. I cannot accept that it is a restriction which continues to be useful after you've played hundreds of runs. I have dealt with the hand I'm dealt a lot. Sometimes it would be nice to get specific types of blessing/curse combos so I can see what it's like to deal with that particular hand. Every run has plenty of randomness besides the starting conditions.

So yeah. It's a bad piece of obnoxious design in an otherwise perfect game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arzaac posted:

If you could lock curses/boons and reroll the other ones (or accept having insufficient blessings) it'd be different.

As is, having a fun-sounding setup that you can't take because the game wants you to pick up 1 more point of blessings to balance the scale is very annoying.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

Wittgen posted:

Not being able to reroll starting stuff infinitely continues to be a lovely design choice. Sure, it might help players embrace chaos, but eventually you want to do something specific and a patronizing rear end message will continuously pop up to get on your way.

One problem with rerolling the start is winstreaks, and I guess the solution would be to have a popup (if current_winstreak > 0) that says "You can reroll again if you want, but it will reset your current winstreak to 0."

Or to add a mode where you can pick as many blessings and/or curses as you want from the master list. Not sure how well the UI would handle this.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wittgen posted:

So yeah. It's a bad piece of obnoxious design in an otherwise perfect game.

Nah, I just checked. Since I don't care about the design choice I don't feel that the note is pleading and/or patronizing so it's fine.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Had a hilarious run a bit ago. It was fairly pedestrian until around midway when I got offered an Ichor Chalice (excess heals do damage to top enemy). I already had a Blood Chalice (excess heals = self shield) from early on that I wasn't really using as well as a Eucalyptus on my blue (replace right side with double-use cleanse 3). Then I realized what I was looking at, loaded up my Witch, and spent the rest of the run gleefully melting enemies by pouring heals onto her. I picked up a couple more decent items by the end but honestly didn't even need them it. This wasn't even a possible way I considered you could play the game, but yes, you can win with offensive self-healing. Just waltzing through the dungeon with a double fisting witch mowing everything down.

Zero_Grade fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 21, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You're free to not like things but "a design decision I don't like" is not necessarily a bad design decision

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
I don't think it's a bad design decision, but the existence of Paste mode suggests to me that there should be a "whole run" Paste mode (or similar) which would solve all these issues.

The only "bad" thing is that the update isn't out yet! I crave more Slice & Dice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

You're free to not like things but "a design decision I don't like" is not necessarily a bad design decision

And doing something deliberately doesn't make it a good decision

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I just want balances to infinite mode, the only mode I play. Which would only involve removing a few curses and blessings.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

If you could lock curses/boons and reroll the other ones (or accept having insufficient blessings) it'd be different.

As is, having a fun-sounding setup that you can't take because the game wants you to pick up 1 more point of blessings to balance the scale is very annoying.

This is my biggest issue with the system too. I wish there was an always available, stackable curse/buff for +1/-1 you could use to balance out the setup you want to play with.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Got a 23 turner in heaven, bolt crackling boss smash. I won so handily I got a new secret unlock, zero damage shielded. Good poo poo.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Posting to do a little dance because I FINALLY beat Loot Mode. I don't even care that it was on Heaven; so many stages were nail-biters even with the blessings.

I love the depth of this game, in that I can spend a day tackling a mode that I hadn't played much before (Raid) and get a ton of entertainment out of it. Doubling everything and removing equipment means that I have to look at some classes I usually disdain and figure out creative ways to use them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Dev has been posting tons of 3.0 teasers on the Discord but according to them, 'if 3.0 ever releases it will hopefully have Steam integration' which is pretty hopeful. Looking forward to paying again for this good rear end game!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Azran posted:

Dev has been posting tons of 3.0 teasers on the Discord but according to them, 'if 3.0 ever releases it will hopefully have Steam integration' which is pretty hopeful. Looking forward to paying again for this good rear end game!

I would somehow hope for an iOS version, but I think that's likely rather far off. Although, if there's ever a steam release, (not just integration) that could come with a big revenue boost. Given it's a one-man show I am not sure how likely that is.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Steam would be great for him and I hope he makes buckets of money.

For me though, I think the games best strength is how great it is on mobile. On steam, it's competing for my attention against allll the other steam games I wish I had more time to play. On my phone it's hands down the best mobile game of all time.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Been awhile since I posted, just wanted to pop in again and say that the game is still fantastic :unsmith:.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So it seems like the treasure chests always give you useless level zero items, even if you have blessings that give a total of +3 to item quality.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I don't think blessings affect chests at all, but they can give you level 1 or even level 2 items, though the latter seems pretty rare. I think their loot table or whatever just sucks.

Honestly, I think chests should give guaranteed potion items, with other level 1 or 2 items being the rare exception. I'm sure that would change the judgment call quite a bit; rather than "do I want to rush this thing down in one turn just for a random junk item that might theoretically be vaguely useful," it would be nice to find oneself thinking, "is it worth eating attacks from other enemies to kill this thing, in exchange for a strong single-use item that might be really handy if I come up against a difficult boss?"

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 26, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

I don't think blessings affect chests at all, but they can give you level 1 or even level 2 items, though the latter seems pretty rare. I think their loot table or whatever just sucks.

Honestly, I think chests should give guaranteed potion items, with other level 1 or 2 items being the rare exception. I'm sure that would change the judgment call quite a bit; rather than "do I want to rush this thing down in one turn just for a random junk item that might theoretically be vaguely useful," it would be nice to find oneself thinking, "is it worth eating attacks from other enemies to kill this thing, in exchange for a strong single-use item that might be really handy if I come up against a difficult boss?"

Ooh I like that suggestion a lot, I generally avoid potions as is so an alternate way to get them would be nice.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Steam integration means Steam Deck.

I would play me even more Slice & Dice on a Steam Deck.

(At least until I beat Brutal mode again. That one's been giving me a lot of grief lately.)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, finally got a no deaths 20 turner

Mvp was this guy

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wow and with Ace too!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Once you have an obscene amount of mana from other classes and all your sides are buffed, using ace's draw to trigger triple mechanic actually works.

Of course at that point you've basically won.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Tunicate posted:

So it seems like the treasure chests always give you useless level zero items, even if you have blessings that give a total of +3 to item quality.

I was disappointed to learn that the blursed boon that gives free items at the start of the run is also not affected by item quality boosts. Thought I was onto a clever combo for a bit.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
I had my first ever good use of Twin!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Twin loving rules with any of the skull items and that one T3 caster who kills party members, especially if you have a revive die somewhere in the mix. Start each fight by blowing up your two gremlin mascots and then immediately end each fight by unleashing infinite sorcerous hell on everything in sight

e: the "sides get +1 for each identical side" item (seal?) and Chakram (shield sides become ranged damage sides) is a pretty hilarious combo on the twins as well. Your knight gains a level and suddenly becomes two hobbits with sniper rifles. Or you could replace the seal with the mithril shield item that gives shield sides Cantrip, and have two hobbits with submachine guns

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Twin is gimmicky, but i fell like that makes it better than most gray heroes which (with two or three exceptions) are just straightforwardly bad