Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Free range for chicken meat just means there’s access to the outside. And even then that’s only for five minutes a day they open the door. Thing about broilers (meat birds) is they don’t go outside all they want to do is eat and drink and will stay in place. Egg layers are a little different (label doesn’t actually apply to egg layers) but they probably don’t go outside much they’re bred to stay in place. I mean not being in a cage is cool and all but don’t kid yourself that they are eating grass and bugs.

‘Pasture raised’ is what you’re looking for but it’s an unregulated label. Or just raise your own chickens is really easy you lazy twats and tastes 10x better than any pasture raised you buy from a supermarket.

Grass fed beef is also fairly misunderstood. Any cow pretty much can get that label, it’s only if they claim 100% Grass Fed or Grass Finished Beef do they not get fattened up with grain. Even then they can cheat with oils etc and make them unhealthy slobs like westernized humans with all that soybean oil. The diet towards their end of their life matters more for the flavor. I know a bunch of farms were just providing temporary access to some grass and cheating that label too. Costco beef is all coming from the factory farms that cheat the labels basically.

Get cow meat and milk from the local small farmers if you actually want the healthy CLA-laden stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
This thread has always been bonkers with suggesting that you're terrible for indulging in a modern convenience but refusing to turn my backyard into a farm is a new one.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I like parking farther away from the entrance sometimes because it makes me feel like the meager exercise i get from walking across the parking lot means im not a fat slovenly piece of poo poo

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Free range for chicken meat just means there’s access to the outside. And even then that’s only for five minutes a day they open the door. Thing about broilers (meat birds) is they don’t go outside all they want to do is eat and drink and will stay in place. Egg layers are a little different (label doesn’t actually apply to egg layers) but they probably don’t go outside much they’re bred to stay in place. I mean not being in a cage is cool and all but don’t kid yourself that they are eating grass and bugs.

‘Pasture raised’ is what you’re looking for but it’s an unregulated label. Or just raise your own chickens is really easy you lazy twats and tastes 10x better than any pasture raised you buy from a supermarket.

Grass fed beef is also fairly misunderstood. Any cow pretty much can get that label, it’s only if they claim 100% Grass Fed or Grass Finished Beef do they not get fattened up with grain. Even then they can cheat with oils etc and make them unhealthy slobs like westernized humans with all that soybean oil. The diet towards their end of their life matters more for the flavor. I know a bunch of farms were just providing temporary access to some grass and cheating that label too. Costco beef is all coming from the factory farms that cheat the labels basically.

Get cow meat and milk from the local small farmers if you actually want the healthy CLA-laden stuff.

Agree with all of this. I buy my non-meat groceries at Costco, raise my own chicken and buy other meat from local farms that I can visit and see what they are doing.

That reminds me that I need to request that the local ‘Co stock chicken feed.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Renegret posted:

This thread has always been bonkers with suggesting that you're terrible for indulging in a modern convenience but refusing to turn my backyard into a farm is a new one.

The Costco is coming from inside the house!

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
If you want to cheat you can supplement your factory meat with https://www.costco.com/trunature-tonalin-cla-1620-mg.%2C-180-softgels.product.11524631.html to at least try to keep your heart health into check. But this is only one of a bunch of other fancy nutrients you’re missing out on

All beef and saturated fat research is a load of BS because they don’t take healthy cows for the studies they take unhealthy soy fed bs and then use improper methods to determine outcomes (cholesterololol is meaningless without breakdown, and I don’t mean HDL/LDL, that’s equally misleading).

It’s actually healthy if the cows aren’t grain/soy fattened

Can’t blame Costco here though, not enough good farms can sustain their volumes. Eat their meat just don’t fall for their labels, their pasture raised labels are the fake ones. Supplement yourself if you care

Mid-Life Crisis fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 15, 2023

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i can tell the difference in grass fed beef but i think it tastes worse so i never buy it

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

thathonkey posted:

i can tell the difference in grass fed beef but i think it tastes worse so i never buy it

:same:

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I’m a Costco newcomer and I feel like I’m doing something wrong. At least half the things on my list were more expensive at Costco than at Wegmans, and the stuff I normally buy is fine quality and isn’t even the cheapest at Wegmans. I did buy some things at Costco that will last me a year but the savings weren’t really that steep. I could make a huge effort post with price comparisons but I don’t think anyone here wants to read that.

I was mostly shopping for pantry staples, paper products and toiletries. I don’t eat meat, dairy, soda/sports/energy drinks, or pre-prepared/snack foods. Is that where the savings are?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Outside a few staples, I hunt around for stuff that's on sale.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Baking supplies I tend to save a lot on. Yeast, flour sugar etc.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

your backyard flocks are also far, far more likely to pass intestinal parasites on to you, give you salmonella when you pet them, contract avian disease from migratory birds, and get eaten by hawks or coyotes.

pasture raised eggs bought from a small farmer that runs a CSA or something might make you feel good, and might actually be good. but they’re also frequently in trouble with FDA for inadequate salmonella prevention measures, have a higher prevalence of food borne illnesses, and sometimes just commit straight up labeling fraud. we had a local guy who sold pastured chicken tractor bullshit eggs, but when his orders exceeded his capacity he would just go to Kroger and buy conventional caged eggs to put into his own frou frou cartons for resale.

just eat costco eggs.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jesus christ, nevermind about the god drat meat just live off of the chocolate coconut almonds

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

kreeningsons posted:

I’m a Costco newcomer and I feel like I’m doing something wrong. At least half the things on my list were more expensive at Costco than at Wegmans, and the stuff I normally buy is fine quality and isn’t even the cheapest at Wegmans. I did buy some things at Costco that will last me a year but the savings weren’t really that steep. I could make a huge effort post with price comparisons but I don’t think anyone here wants to read that.

I was mostly shopping for pantry staples, paper products and toiletries. I don’t eat meat, dairy, soda/sports/energy drinks, or pre-prepared/snack foods. Is that where the savings are?

You need to find yourself a Costco BC for something closer to the classic Price Club experience.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Costco cancels Christmas

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Costco cancels Christmas

The libs have won again.

The war on Christmas continues

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

what level of rich do you need to be to drive out to farms and yell at the cows for being soyboys

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
My Costco stopped selling the live christmas trees in 2020 with covid and they just never brought them back.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

kreeningsons posted:

The savings can be a little weird, or small margins. Where costco wins for me is the things where I save at least a moderate amount, and the fact that the one or two options they have is higher quality than a similarly priced item elsewhere. The Kirkland 6-pack of chicken broth is the best broth I've ever gotten in a box, and is competitively priced with Kroger for store brands. The bakery items also always get me - I eat croissant sandwiches for breakfast as often as I can manage, and pumpkin pie season sends me into a frenzy - the huge pie is just $6.

The other thing is that the prices are reliable. It's a big burden off my grocery budgeting to know how much the good eggs are gonna be, or that the rice is calrose and as good of a price as I could hope to find elsewhere. Throw in a hot dog afterwards, a tank of gas at, again, as good a price as I'll find, and I've come out ahead, mentally and probably financially.

On top of all of this, I've worn hearing aids since my early 20s and paying for batteries anywhere else is for chumps. It's like $9 for 64 batteries at the 'co, and I've paid as much as $12 for 8 batteries anywhere else. One single pack alone pays off my membership.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gawr Gooner posted:

How do I stop buying stuff I don't need every time I go in for a hotdog and a chicken bake? I'm running out of money here

I don't know if it's even possible to bring in cash money, but if you are literally only going in for the food court, and they take cash, bring in your membership card and :10bux:

Physically limiting yourself to the cash you have on hand may not stop you from all impulse purchases, but you will only walk out with what $10 will get you, and in Costco, that's maybe 1 thing most of the time.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

I don't know if it's even possible to bring in cash money, but if you are literally only going in for the food court, and they take cash, bring in your membership card and :10bux:

Physically limiting yourself to the cash you have on hand may not stop you from all impulse purchases, but you will only walk out with what $10 will get you, and in Costco, that's maybe 1 thing most of the time.

At the registers this past weekend, the three carts ahead of me all paid cash. I was stunned.
Couldn't tell you about the food counter, though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

If I had a nickel for every time I saw it spelled "convience"...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Saucer Hovers posted:

what level of rich do you need to be to drive out to farms and yell at the cows for being soyboys

lmao
I spotted a box of pre-cooked bacon at Publix the other day that says the pigs are fed a vegetarian ~GLUTEN FREE~ diet.

That's...that's not how any of this works :negative:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

kreeningsons posted:

I live in an area with a ton of grocery store competition. I shop around and check the ads for the stores around here every week because I enjoy meal planning and do a lot of cooking. if you're someone who also does that a lot, chances are you can get things cheaper on good sales at other stores as well. hell, there's one local grocery chain here that's employee owned and regularly beats Costco prices per ounce/lb.

unfortunately, you can't check prices at your costco reliably because their website sucks poo poo. these are the things that I regularly buy that are cheaper at costco: Mission tortilla chips, Ritz crackers (sometimes others, but they tend to be more expensive compared to other stores), those giant PB filled pretzels, cases of Swanson chicken broth, Rao's marinara sauce, giant bags of sushi rice, Izze. I also like some of the fresh breads, but they're not exactly cheap anymore. some of the premade meals are ok, but you're paying for convenience obviously. the shrimp cocktail are my weakness lol

in general, the produce prices suck.

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 15, 2023

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

hell, there's one local grocery chain here that's employee owned and regularly beats Costco prices per ounce/lb.

Is this WinCo? I loving love WinCo.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Big Mac posted:

no, much smaller and in another part of the country

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Big Mac posted:

I loving love WinCo.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kreeningsons posted:

We love an effort post of price comparisons! I consider the prices and add a bit of weight for the convenience too.

I feel like I save the most on paper products, trash bags, coffee beans, sparkling water, and some random items that are just wildly cheaper than the grocery. Like a brick of active dry yeast was $6, versus three packets at $4.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I forgot. I came here to complain about Christmas cards. This year Costco shut down their photo printing and partnered with shutter fly. When you order it's like, $2.29 per card, and they say "Costco discount applied in cart" so it's not clear how much it'll be. I just forced my way through rather than upload photos and make choices, and at the end they came down to $0.99 each. Still a lot more and much more frustrating... Plus I know it's just going to get worse.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Big Mac posted:

WinCo is incredible agreed

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Alright next time I hit Costco I will document all the prices and comparisons. I refuse to go during peak hours and literally take a half day off work so I can go on Tuesdays at 2pm, so it will be a while.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I live in an area with a ton of grocery store competition.

I guess this is my area too. There is a Grocery Outlet opening up tomorrow too, so that will be fun.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Renegret posted:

You really don't want be "that person" who has a chicken coop in an urban/suburban area.

I remember my teacher in grade school was bitching that someone's dog got loose and ate her chicken and kids were straight lolling about it

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
When I had breakfast-eaters in the house I calculated that I paid for executive twice-over just in turkey bacon savings.

Also I'm frigging pissed that neither nearby Costco has the giant bucket of Italian Beef.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Just casually dropping RETVRN talking points about how red meat is secretly healthy.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Costco yields big savings on carbs.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Soul Dentist posted:

Costco now has flavored Topo in cans, as well as the original in bottles. They probably also have Topo Hard Seltzer in with the beer too

Not directed at Soul Dentist, just made me realize.

In case it wasn't very clear, these are three different Topo.
1. Topo Chico Sabores (new): The ones in cans are flavored and have 15 calories (has fruit juice). Skinny cans, 6 packs of 4 cans each in a flat, flavors are: tangerine ginger, blueberry hibiscus, lime with mint
2. Regular Topo Chico (old): Glass bottles or plastic ones. Flavors: unflavored, lime, grapefruit. No sweeteners.
3. Topo Chico hard seltzer (middle child): Alcoholic, skinny cans, over with the beer (as Soul Dentist said).

The new ones are really nice, the old ones are great (bubbles last forever! unlike Waterloo. drat you guys...), the hard seltzers taste like hard seltzers.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The thing is while there are opportunities to save at other places (especially when they do sales) I like the more consistent quality and average price of Costco.

Do gas stations have cheaper gas than Costco? Yes sometimes but on average Costco seems to be cheaper and I'm already there getting stuff. We fill up two cars at Costco and plus the 4% back, it makes our executive membership worth it alone.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

FogHelmut posted:

Costco cancels Christmas

I don't think my Costco has ever sold fresh cut trees

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

The thing is while there are opportunities to save at other places (especially when they do sales) I like the more consistent quality and average price of Costco.

Do gas stations have cheaper gas than Costco? Yes sometimes but on average Costco seems to be cheaper and I'm already there getting stuff. We fill up two cars at Costco and plus the 4% back, it makes our executive membership worth it alone.

I can't think of the last time I saw any station beat Costco here on gas. Doubly so if you use premium.

I just wish any of the Costco stores less than an hour from me sold diesel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Having a 10 month old I’ll say the membership has paid for itself and then some with diapers and wipes alone personally.

Also as someone who pounds polar seltzers all day Costco has the best bang for buck for my addiction