Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh that sounds v cool actually and I have some Audible credits left over.

EDIT no I loving don't since I forgot I pre-ordered the Geddy Lee autobio.

That's on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

theironjef posted:

Surely this movie will kill it, take 33.

Eh, I don't think Disney is going to completely stop making Marvel stuff, but there are definitely some diminishing returns. Marvel movies aren't really the blockbuster phenomena they were a few years ago and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes into a kind of dormancy like Star Wars is currently, where they have a few shows and/or movies aimed at meganerds instead of releasing 3 insanely expensive movies every year.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Dawgstar posted:

All big genre trends in movies end eventually and it starts with people at the box office caring less and less. And I don't even want the movie to tank because it'll make people like The Quartering be even more insufferable for the next however long.
I think a lot about film critic / writer April Wolfe's take on Disney's rah-rah feminism and attitude of "You did it ladies! Finally a female Marvel movie!" when Captain Marvel came out, which was "Motherfucker you make the movies. You could have made a female-led Marvel movie whenever you wanted to, instead you chose to wait until you were 16 movies deep in a franchise". After waiting until they were 32 movies deep to make a lady superhero team-up movie, it bombing will have more to do with it being 32 movies deep than it being a lady superhero team-up.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

A bold stance that will last until the next one stars dudes and does way better. Internet shitwad culture is sadly real.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

theironjef posted:

A bold stance that will last until the next one stars dudes and does way better. Internet shitwad culture is sadly real.

As we saw with ghostbusters.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Comstar posted:

Is there any alternative to i09?

Yeah I've been going to IO9 for years as well. :(

Incidentally anyone know what happened to Rob Bricken?

I used to enjoy his stuff, especially his revisting old books, but he seems to have vanished off of Io9 in June and I can't find him anywhere else since.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Midjack posted:

Incredibly frustrating too, because that Ghostbusters reboot was honestly a lot like the original. Mid budget horror comedy based around an ensemble cast. I haven't bothered to watch Afterlife, as it appears to have taken the whole setting seriously, which is kind of the opposite of the point of Ghostbusters.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Liquid Communism posted:

Incredibly frustrating too, because that Ghostbusters reboot was honestly a lot like the original. Mid budget horror comedy based around an ensemble cast. I haven't bothered to watch Afterlife, as it appears to have taken the whole setting seriously, which is kind of the opposite of the point of Ghostbusters.

loving thank you. I thought I was the only one.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I remembered the general impression of that movie was that it was decent to good from the general public who saw it (I definitely liked it) but somehow the "actually it was bad" seemed to win as the zeitgeist opinion. Although maybe I'm failing to discount people who watched it at home later or something since my memory is from when the movie was out in the theater.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
RLM did a Half in the Bag that I tend to agree with: a lot of the comedy is meandering improv and pretty nonsensical compared to the original’s tightly scripted stuff. That said I really liked the cast of the new one and wanted it to succeed more than it did.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

2016 was ten thousand years ago, but I remember more articles scolding misogynists than actual misogyny. I do remember Leslie Jones was harassed off Twitter, which is still disgusting.

I didn't use Reddit then, so maybe that's something, but my read is that the studio wanted to blame something other than themselves for its lukewarm reception. People were sick of reboot remake sequel prequel cycle.

Then the movie came out and was just kinda ok, which barely justified any of its accompanying outrage rodeo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I saw both 2016 and Afterlife. 2016 was definitely a Melissa McCarthy film more than it was a Ghostbusters film, relying on a lot of the same jokes that Spy had about how she's not thin and hot. It was Fine but I never felt the need to revisit it. The one main complaint that stuck with me is their gender flipped version of Janine was a total airhead and hired by the ghostbusters to be eye candy for them, whereas Janine was arguably the second or third smartest person in the firehouse.

Afterlife doesn't stick to the formula as closely as the first two movies or the Video game did, but I did enjoy it more as a movie. But that might be because I'm online enough to know a lot of the context behind it's production and development. It's textually about legacy and how Egon carried the torch when the others quit. Subtextually it's a giant apology to Harold Ramis for not doing this while he was still alive to participate because Bill Murray was a gently caress who only reconciled with Harold on his deathbed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Liquid Communism posted:

Incredibly frustrating too, because that Ghostbusters reboot was honestly a lot like the original. Mid budget horror comedy based around an ensemble cast.
$30 million was a big budget in 1984, especially for a comedy. It cost somewhat less than Return of the Jedi and Temple of Doom.

quote:

I haven't bothered to watch Afterlife, as it appears to have taken the whole setting seriously, which is kind of the opposite of the point of Ghostbusters.
Yeah, same. The way they reverently lingered on Egon's PKE meter told me that they didn't understand the assignment at all.

Kurieg posted:

It's textually about legacy and how Egon carried the torch when the others quit. Subtextually it's a giant apology to Harold Ramis for not doing this while he was still alive to participate because Bill Murray was a gently caress who only reconciled with Harold on his deathbed.
Wow, that sounds absolutely hilarious.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Gray Ghost posted:

RLM did a Half in the Bag that I tend to agree with: a lot of the comedy is meandering improv and pretty nonsensical compared to the original’s tightly scripted stuff. That said I really liked the cast of the new one and wanted it to succeed more than it did.

Yeah, I agree with this wholeheartedly. I really don't like meandering Anchorman-style improv movie comedies and that's exactly what Ghostbusters 2016 was. It wasn't awful or anything, but I found it pretty boring and not very funny and it committed the cardinal sin of wasting a great cast.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Midjack posted:

Was Afterlife more successful than I thought? Because I still hear people talk about the 2016 Ghostbusters movie all the time (for good or ill), yet I don’t even know anyone who’s *seen* Afterlife.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gatto Grigio posted:

Was Afterlife more successful than I thought? Because I still hear people talk about the 2016 Ghostbusters movie all the time (for good or ill), yet I don’t even know anyone who’s *seen* Afterlife.

It made $204 million off a budget of $75 mil despite being released during the "I'm not sure if we should really be going out to theaters" phase of covid. 2016 made about that much money off a budget of $144 million.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FishFood posted:

Yeah, I agree with this wholeheartedly. I really don't like meandering Anchorman-style improv movie comedies and that's exactly what Ghostbusters 2016 was. It wasn't awful or anything, but I found it pretty boring and not very funny and it committed the cardinal sin of wasting a great cast.
I know a guy who knows a guy who worked on the visual effects. They had to do a lot of reshooting because they didn't block the ghosts and other effects while they were just riffing and being funny.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gatto Grigio posted:

I remember when it came out, people praised it as a return to "good" Ghostbuster movies, but I thought the 2016 film was better. Afterlife's plot was just a rehash of the original Ghostbusters with a "passing the torch" family attached.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The movie next year will have the original cast in it from the start and will (hopefully) not need to devote quite as much of it's plot to breathless fanservice so maybe that goes well?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Afterlife was pretty good until the end with the ghost Egon going way too far into being uncomfortable and 4th wall breaking . The new cast members were great and the tone and style was both modern and fit the old movies.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Randalor posted:

I remember when it came out, people praised it as a return to "good" Ghostbuster movies, but I thought the 2016 film was better. Afterlife's plot was just a rehash of the original Ghostbusters with a "passing the torch" family attached.

And they're not even passing the torch! All franchise movies are now held aloft by load-bearing septuagenarians.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Harold Ramis was a very accomplished writer, director, and actor. Was he really that broken up about not getting to do a Ghostbusters sequel? I have no idea.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Harold Ramis was a very accomplished writer, director, and actor. Was he really that broken up about not getting to do a Ghostbusters sequel? I have no idea.

He loved working with his friends and wanted to get the band back together. But Murray and Ramis had a falling out during the filming of Groundhog day. Ramis and Akroyd were working on a script for a Ghostbusters 3 as early as 2000 but Bill Murray absolutely refused to play ball. They were planning on replacing him with Ben Stiller of all people when the Video game started development, so Ramis and Akroyd used their aborted Ghostbusters 3 script as a baseline for the video game. The developers were able to get Murray to join the project (because Ramis wasn't technically directing it) but he absolutely phoned in his performance which pissed off Ramis even more. But the fact that the video game was coming out and looked to be actually decent was enough incentive for Sony to greenlight a new movie, but Murray continued to drag his feet until columbia threw up their hands and decided that they were doing a complete reboot. After Ramis' death Reitmann left the project and they brought on a new director which is when the all female cast thing happened.

Murray finaly apologized to Ramis on his deathbed at the insistence of his brother.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I mean, it was a really good movie, but it was hosed up for Ramis to trap Murray in a time loop like that. I'd be mad too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've seen tons of reports that Murray is an absolute tool and awful to work with so it all adds up to me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, it was a really good movie, but it was hosed up for Ramis to trap Murray in a time loop like that. I'd be mad too.

Murray was in the middle of a messy divorce and he took that out on everyone and everything on set. That was apparently the crux of the feud.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Afterlife made less money than 2016, it just had a smaller budget. Ghostbusters 2016 had a large budget for a mediocre comedy movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FishFood posted:

Eh, I don't think Disney is going to completely stop making Marvel stuff, but there are definitely some diminishing returns. Marvel movies aren't really the blockbuster phenomena they were a few years ago and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes into a kind of dormancy like Star Wars is currently, where they have a few shows and/or movies aimed at meganerds instead of releasing 3 insanely expensive movies every year.

There's a few things here:

- Avengers: Endgame was a really good jumping off point. It was a wrap up of over a decade of MCU films, wrapped up the stories for some individual characters, and for a lot of people it was like "Okay, that was fun! Enough of that!"

- The next phase had some fun films but felt like they were kinda poking around for some new direction and didn't have a hook. Did not help that Chadwick Boseman died since Black Panther was probably going to be an anchor the way Iron Man was.

- When theaters started reopening after lockdown there was sort of a logjam of delayed blockbusters, for a while we were seeing some big something or other every drat quarter, and I think that was another point for audiences to go "okay I can miss this one."

Like some of these movies have still done well (GOTG 3 was a hit because it was sorta the end of that series and a big wrap-up for the characters and people wanted to see that play out), but you need more of a hook than just the ongoing cinematic universe. Audiences are choosy.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Eh Fast 10 made 715 million dollars so I'll believe audiences are choosy at a later date.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

Eh Fast 10 made 715 million dollars so I'll believe audiences are choosy at a later date.

I mean that's the thing there ARE still big action movies doing very well, but it's less of a sure thing (see the latest M:I not doing very well at all.) It's not that no movies in these genres are doing well.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Leperflesh posted:

I've seen tons of reports that Murray is an absolute tool and awful to work with so it all adds up to me.

Bill Murray is oddly well-liked for a complete rear end in a top hat

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean that's the thing there ARE still big action movies doing very well, but it's less of a sure thing (see the latest M:I not doing very well at all.) It's not that no movies in these genres are doing well.

it's unfortunate because Dead Reckoning Part One was definitely the better movie, both just in general as well as pulling off the "this is the first of a two-parter" gimmick

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Liquid Communism posted:

Ghostbusters does take the whole setting seriously, Dan Ackroyd's genuine interest in the supernatural is the foundation of the movie and broader franchise. The ghosts are often wacky and grotesque but also genuinely dangerous and fascinatingly strange. The characters are a bunch of weirdos who make jokes and use shady means to keep their business afloat, but the humour comes from the mix of human mundanity with supernatural weirdness and how people treat it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

One of the best things about Ghostbusters is it is mainly an adventure movie with funny actors rather than a comedy. It's funny, absolutely, but it is one of the reasons Ghostbusters (2016) compares so poorly. Different genre focus!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ghostbusters does take the whole setting seriously, Dan Ackroyd's genuine interest in the supernatural is the foundation of the movie and broader franchise. The ghosts are often wacky and grotesque but also genuinely dangerous and fascinatingly strange. The characters are a bunch of weirdos who make jokes and use shady means to keep their business afloat, but the humour comes from the mix of human mundanity with supernatural weirdness and how people treat it.
The comedy of Ghostbusters is based on the idea that the Ghostbusters are cranks and charlatans, exorcising the sins of Reagonomics with technobabble and slapped-together junk. The conceit is that the ghosts are real and their (incredibly dangerous and unregulated) gadgets actually work.

So when I watch the Afterlife trailer and I see the camera lovingly pan over all this janky crap while somber music plays...they didn't get it. It's self-serious which is not want anybody wants in a sequel to a movie full of jokes about cum.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's not what you want.

e: to be less pithy. There's an entire generation of people who grew up with the movies absent of the entire concept not to mention knowledge of reganomics. There were two cartoons and a video games about Ghostbusters as a setting past the first movie.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 15, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Understanding media will not lessen your enjoyment of it.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 15, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
IMO the sins of the Ghostbusters 2016 were ones of writing and direction way way way more so than any of the actors. None of the actors deserved any of the poo poo they got. The problem was mostly Feig and his love of just dropping a bunch of improv everywhere.

I would love to see like a Sam Raimi take on Ghostbusters, given that he has chops for both blockbuster flicks and action-comedy schlock alike.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The original Ghostbusters was a supernatural action-adventure movie played mostly straight by very funny people. Leaning into either full-on comedy (2016), or super-serious (Afterlife) doesn't work. You need to thread the needle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The original Ghostbusters was a supernatural action-adventure movie played mostly straight by very funny people. Leaning into either full-on comedy (2016), or super-serious (Afterlife) doesn't work. You need to thread the needle.

Nah, I think the original Ghostbusters is a comedy with a bug budget and adventure elements. It's just that it's a type of movie that has kind of disappeared: it's tightly scripted and uses a lot of wordplay while comedies have moved pretty far away from that in the last 20 years. Modern comedies all have these long scenes of extended improv so any movies that have more traditional (read: better) pacing don't feel like comedies to people more used to the modern style.