Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

I do, with AMdroid. It shows on the stock lock screen and everything, so the OS can definitely see it, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

I have to set a ton of alarms to wake up early, like one every 5 minutes for an hour and a half of escalating noise and difficulty, so maybe it's getting confused? I'll try setting just one and see if it unfucks.

I'd still rather have the ability to manually set the charge speed if that's possible.

For me it adaptive charging is always on starting in the evening, if I have an alarm set for next morning. If I don't have an Alarm set it never turns on.
I don't think it uses any further logic.

I also would like more control. Recently I was in a hotel with only one convenient outlet where I had to juggle devices on my charger and wanted to deactivate adaptive charging. And when I plugged/unplugged a device on the other port of my charger the charger interrupts loading and adaptive charging reactivates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I've learned that you can turn off Adaptive Charging by unplugging and replugging the phone, that seems to work most of the time.

I've never had a 7am alarm on this phone to my knowledge, I had the 4am ones (3:30 to 5am) and 10am ones (9 to 10). I deleted them all and turned Adaptive Charging back on so let's see if it does anything at all. I did have 26 alarms total so maybe I just hosed it all to hell.

E: you can fully deactivate Adaptive Charging from Settings > Battery > Adaptive Charging, I do it when I'm not working because my sleep schedule and charging schedule get even fuckier than normal

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 14, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Further pixel 8 pro review from me:

After initially being impressed with the battery compared to my around one year old pixel 7 pro the battery now seems the same or worse.

I suspect it's because I switched to full resolution, higher refresh rates, and always on display, any tips would be appreciated.

A lot of it is usually caused by my work site being a metal roofed and sided metal rear end building which blocks a lot of cell signal and on that front this phone is a champ, better than pixel 6 or 7 and some of my coworkers phones struggle to get a signal at all.
(Could the fact that I can actually hold 5g all the time now be causing this?!)

I do put it on airplane mode if I won't be using my phone for more than an hour, work has some no cell phones allowed areas I work in.

Someone earlier posted about having multiple touches to register a press and I'm noticing this especially in the bottom corners on the awful app, the page forward and back sometimes seems like it takes 3 taps or so, other times it works the first time, kinda annoying.

Is your battery still draining quickly with flight mode on?

Regarding the screen touches, do you have a screen protector and/or a case fitted?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
my 8pro would get real hot and drain battery at work but i turned off 5g and that fixed it

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
It's probably 5g, I couldn't keep 5g before worth a darn on my last phone and it's no quicker than LTE through all this metal.

I mean I can airplane mode or turn it off, but if I physically can't use my phone for spells at work I don't see the point of it constantly hunting a weak signal. No wifi at my home building either.

No screen protector, I really don't notice it with anything but the awful app front and back buttons, I may try to clean reinstall that.

I was initially impressed until I upped the resolution and refresh as well, that and bad signal may require a compromise at work. It makes it through the day but I don't like seeing it get that low, not good for battery health.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

VictualSquid posted:

I also would like more control. Recently I was in a hotel with only one convenient outlet where I had to juggle devices on my charger and wanted to deactivate adaptive charging. And when I plugged/unplugged a device on the other port of my charger the charger interrupts loading and adaptive charging reactivates.

Not really an Android solution per se but I found it extremely worthwhile to get a compact power strip for travel use. 2 outlets/4 USB ports with the cable extension makes life so much easier.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone else feel like Chrome just murders their battery life compared to other browsers? I like using Chrome, but it seems like it chews through battery compared to many other apps I use daily. Maybe because I don't have an adblocker on Chrome it spends resources rendering all that garbage? I know Firefox, and Samsung Internet even, with adblockers installed seem to be easier on the battery.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
On my Pixel 7 Firefox ran like absolute poo poo so much so that I came to conspiratorial conclusions about Google purposefully loving with it. It's perfect on iOS and my old android tablet.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I have a Pixel 7 and Firefox runs great on it. Might be worth clearing data or something.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This was on a fresh install. It had (and still has) a significant delay in responding to clicks, scrolling, and any other touches or interactions. Never seen anything like it and it was the only app that did it.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Bottom Liner posted:

This was on a fresh install. It had (and still has) a significant delay in responding to clicks, scrolling, and any other touches or interactions. Never seen anything like it and it was the only app that did it.
Maybe some weird thing about Tensor was loving with it in a window you had it installed?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I have no issues with the overall performance of Chrome on my P7P, other than I can't just add adblock plus or ublock or whatever the flavor of the week is. But I browse a webpage for 5 minutes and suddenly Chrome is #1 in battery usage in the battery settings page. The Samsung browser actually seems to run pretty well despite being very OneUI themed. Click on settings and there's an ad-blocker button with toggles for various adblockers. It's the very antithesis of Chrome.

Edit: Why? What is Chrome doing that it uses the same amount of juice in 11 minutes as another browser does in 45?

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 14, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Adaptive Charging never turned on for me last night in spite of the alarm configuration. I've rebooted and I'm going to see again tonight. Feels like Google has gone the way of Apple with this Just Works except when it Just Doesn't nonsense.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Adaptive Charging never turned on for me last night in spite of the alarm configuration. I've rebooted and I'm going to see again tonight. Feels like Google has gone the way of Apple with this Just Works except when it Just Doesn't nonsense.

I grabbed a Pixel Stand to go along with the P8 Pro, thinking it'd be nice to have something scroll through my favourite photos while 'magically learning my charging routine' - nope, feels like it triggers the photo display maybe one in three times, if that. I've tried digging through settings and it's a complete mess of stuff that seems to conflict with each other (Bedtime 'DND & greyscale' mode / the 'when docked' screensaver / phone charging settings vs. dock charging settings / etc) and it's like, why am I getting annoyed that a wireless charger doesn't do what it says it'll do. How have they managed to gently caress this up.

Meanwhile, the buds that were the free pack-in are fantastic - nice-sounding, easy to use, they play music and they work. 'Do one thing and do it well' I suppose.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've got the old official dock and the new one and use the old one at my PC as a little stand that fast charges and the one at my bed for slow adaptive charging and DND, if you mess up the initial setup you can change them under connected devices and it treats both mine differently.

Pixel 8 pro battery woe report:
I'm going to try turning 5g off and see what it does for battery tomorrow, it's great that I get it now, where no other phone here at work even gets signal, but I think that's murdering my battery.

On p7pro or pixel 6 the 5g signal would just connect and then drop repeatedly, but eventually it learned to lock onto LTE which penetrates better.

The first day I brought it to work the battery was great strangely though, maybe this update I just got will help as well.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've got the old official dock and the new one and use the old one at my PC as a little stand that fast charges and the one at my bed for slow adaptive charging and DND, if you mess up the initial setup you can change them under connected devices and it treats both mine differently.

Pixel 8 pro battery woe report:
I'm going to try turning 5g off and see what it does for battery tomorrow, it's great that I get it now, where no other phone here at work even gets signal, but I think that's murdering my battery.

On p7pro or pixel 6 the 5g signal would just connect and then drop repeatedly, but eventually it learned to lock onto LTE which penetrates better.

The first day I brought it to work the battery was great strangely though, maybe this update I just got will help as well.

All frustrating stuff, I had to disable or enable one feature at a time before I could narrow down what was up with my phone.

Additional: My Pixel 8 hasn't crashed since I got the November update last week, I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

North American models of Xperia 1 V got Android 14 today. I can barely tell a difference other than toggles look a little different and swiping to go back has a different icon for the arrow. Seems fine I guess!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Branch Nvidian posted:

North American models of Xperia 1 V got Android 14 today. I can barely tell a difference other than toggles look a little different and swiping to go back has a different icon for the arrow. Seems fine I guess!

Think the biggest things are lock screen customization (you can add a flashlight toggle or whatever else you find useful), the addition of the Video Creator app originally introduced recently when the 5 V launched, better bokeh, and 4k@60/120 modes for Photo Pro. For what it's worth, the better battery life seems to not be bullshit, either. Interested to hear whether you and Artelier have seen more efficient usage after the update.

Some more detailed info here.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 15, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Additional: My Pixel 8 hasn't crashed since I got the November update last week, I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Ive had a Pixel 7A since launch a OnePlus 5T since launch before that (5 or so years), don't think I've had a single crash that entire stretch. Android seems to be pretty stable in general from my POV

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Pvt. Parts posted:

Ive had a Pixel 7A since launch a OnePlus 5T since launch before that (5 or so years), don't think I've had a single crash that entire stretch. Android seems to be pretty stable in general from my POV

I'm willing to put it down to some random bug I encountered that probably would have sauntered off with a factory reset but I'm glad it seems to be resolved.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
this is going to be an unpopular opinion but i miss the curved edges. i'm getting lots of accidental touches on the corners of my 8pro that i didn't get on the 7pro

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

this is going to be an unpopular opinion but i miss the curved edges. i'm getting lots of accidental touches on the corners of my 8pro that i didn't get on the 7pro

what's it like being wrong as hell

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i'm not necessarily trying to perpetuate device/platform war/animosity or anything, just sharing my personal experience, but i have been curious for like 3 years now so i finally bit the bullet and bought an iphone 15 pro that i switched to from a pixel 7

i'm gonna return it today and pick up a pixel 8 instead.

there are some nice things about ios, face unlock/authenticate is fast and accurate as hell. but overall it feels so slow and unresponsive with too many ui inconsistencies or hurdles to use efficiently compared to (pixel/stock) android. not having a universal swipe-to-go-back function means every app has to implement either a swipe down or swipe from the side or tap an x or whatever the developer feels like. also notifications are still extremely bloated, cluttered, and basically unusable. i'll literally get multiple notifications from a single app that, when opened, will only clear a single notification instead of all of them. this is for a single message thread mind you.

i had a good time using imessage with a friend of mine who refuses to use anything but texting, but not even being able to use that app to grab images from google photos means it's not even as fully functional as i was expecting it to be. the build quality is nice. the shortcut/action button thing is too weirdly placed to be really useful and isn't better than double-clicking the power button. having notifications on the lock screen go from bottom to top vs needing to swipe down from the very top of the screen when the phone is unlocked is, again, just contributing to overall inconsistency.

lastly, carplay is not as capable as android auto. they're both very similar, but google maps on android is more feature rich and supports dual-touch which i find helpful. also if i have full screen spotify (or anything else) on the display, the bottom notification bar still shows a preview of my next turn for directions. on carplay, a full screen app is full screen with nothing else showing.

glad i scratched the curiosity itch and i'm even more excited now to get a smaller, more capable pixel.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I feel like an old person trying to program a vcr every time I have to use the work ipad

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i actually recently got an ipad mini for the gently caress of it and wound up enjoying it for casual use. procreate is a helluva drawing app that works extremely well with the apple pencil.

aside from that, i like it for a wireless mini display that syncs with my macbook, watching youtube in bed, and it basically replaced my kindle paperwhite.

while i do have it connected to some social apps that get notifications, i have it on DND 100% of the time and typing messages on it is a nightmare. i could never use it for moment to moment productivity and that translated 1:1 to trying to use an iphone to manage work and social messages and just basic ui flow. it's like molasses compared to android with .5x animation speed which, to me, is absolutely essential.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cheers from Iceland. I took this last night with my Pixel 8 Pro. It wasn't even astrophotography mode, just standard 6 second night sight, handheld.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

ShoogaSlim posted:

there are some nice things about ios, face unlock/authenticate is fast and accurate as hell. but overall it feels so slow and unresponsive with too many ui inconsistencies or hurdles to use efficiently compared to (pixel/stock) android. not having a universal swipe-to-go-back function means every app has to implement either a swipe down or swipe from the side or tap an x or whatever the developer feels like. also notifications are still extremely bloated, cluttered, and basically unusable. i'll literally get multiple notifications from a single app that, when opened, will only clear a single notification instead of all of them. this is for a single message thread mind you.

I've done some iPhone tourism with a regular 12. I really like the form and build and think the flat steel sides feel great. For a phone a few generations old, it works like a champ and still has great battery life with its original battery at 88% health. But the lack of the back gesture threw me through a loop and my brain never adapted to it. I feel like I can navigate through my Pixel so much faster and easier than iOS. I suppose its a non-issue for people that have been using iPhones for a long time, but it just seems like one of those quality-of-life things that Android does so much better. I also thing think the settings menu looks a lot more polished.

The FaceID is magical though, especially since they added the ability to use it with a mask which is super important to me as I still mask in the hospital I work in.

bull3964 posted:

Cheers from Iceland. I took this last night with my Pixel 8 Pro. It wasn't even astrophotography mode, just standard 6 second night sight, handheld.

That's pretty. I take it you're up north away from the angry volcano ground?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
As someone who switched to iPhone in September after exclusively using Android since 2009, the back gesture stuff is definitely annoying and one of the things that Android does better hands down. Notifications too.

What actually surprised me the most though, was how little of an issue it was switching platforms. I’ve only been an iPhone user for about two months, but I am already getting sucked into all the little poo poo apple does to try and lock you in their ecosystem. Having my wife share the pets AirTags with me was a real “ohhh I get it now” moment.

In comparison most, if not all of googles main apps are available on iPhone with no noticeable difference in quality or usability. Gmail, Maps, Home, Photos, Calendar etc.

E: I actually prefer my old Pixel 7 Pro’s fingerprint unlock vs Face ID, but that’s mostly because Face ID usually refuses to recognize my face while lying in bed lol. So it’s either that, or get occasionally blinded by fingerprint unlock at night.

sleepwalkers posted:

Hell, a bunch of features hit iOS first

Yes I noticed this over the years and was always like…hmm what? Weird.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 16, 2023

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Hell, a bunch of features hit iOS first

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What actually surprised me the most though, was how little of an issue it was switching platforms.

E: I actually prefer my old Pixel 7 Pro’s fingerprint unlock vs Face ID, but that’s mostly because Face ID usually refuses to recognize my face while lying in bed lol. So it’s either that, or get occasionally blinded by fingerprint unlock at night.

I went the opposite way and basically agree. 95% of the stuff I use a phone for was the same, just minor UI stuff here and there was different as well as actual device difference.

Weird about faceID though, it never fails me no matter how dark it is or even if my face is mostly covered (I enabled mask unlock mode). Literally never fails to unlock as long as it's actually pointing at my face. My pixel 7 would only unlock via fingerprint about 50% of the time at best.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

in my limited experience, my thesis is this:

android is good for being productive
ios is good for being social

at this point in my life, i care more about being productive and flying through a concise list of nicely stacked notifications that i can quickly snooze or set to remind me 2 hours later and open apps quickly and arrange them exactly how i want on my home screen.

it's nice that instagram or imessage have little ui flairs that enable cute social interactions, but i can live without that poo poo as a single dude whose phone is tapped into both work and personal google apps.

on the iphone, i have to jump through hoops to make sure that contacts sync to gmail and that siri talks to google maps and spotify instead of default ios apps, and reminders and notes and my google home devices are all recognized. on android, it Just Works the way i want/expect it to and that's a huge quality of life improvement.

as for picking up a Pixel 8, I was standing in Best Buy holding one about to buy, but then i realized black friday is around the corner and google's website claims the phone's will be 100-200 bucks off so i can wait a few days.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bottom Liner posted:

I went the opposite way and basically agree. 95% of the stuff I use a phone for was the same, just minor UI stuff here and there was different as well as actual device difference.

Weird about faceID though, it never fails me no matter how dark it is or even if my face is mostly covered (I enabled mask unlock mode). Literally never fails to unlock as long as it's actually pointing at my face. My pixel 7 would only unlock via fingerprint about 50% of the time at best.

I know I can train faceID more, I saw it in the settings. That will probably fix it, just haven’t done it yet.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My work iPhone is dying and getting replaced, and thankfully it's going to be an Android phone this time around. My personal phone has always been Android, and while I can use iOS I really don't want to. One of the most frustrating things about iPhones for me is how easy it is to accidentally dial someone because the behavior on the Recent Calls and Voicemail screens are so different, and I had to train myself to be extra paranoid when using either.

That, and iOS settings are so bad it just seems like it has to be intentional. Like, just the most convoluted and Byzantine setup possible, especially when compared to my Android devices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mental Hospitality posted:

That's pretty. I take it you're up north away from the angry volcano ground?

We're staying in Reykjavik, so that area is about 40ish miles away. Before all this started up we were going to hike Fagradalsfjall, but that's obviously off the table now. It's a very localized thing so there's not much to worry about if you aren't in the area. There's not really even any risk of flight interruption as this type of system doesn't produce tons of ash. It's bad for the folks of Grindavik though since they could end up losing everything and even at this point there's substantial earthquake damage to the town.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

but I am already getting sucked into all the little poo poo apple does to try and lock you in their ecosystem. Having my wife share the pets AirTags with me was a real “ohhh I get it now” moment.

In comparison most, if not all of googles main apps are available on iPhone with no noticeable difference in quality or usability. Gmail, Maps, Home, Photos, Calendar etc.
I'm guessing there's no reason you can't share Android-compatible tags with iOS users. The lock-in is real, but I don't see what's good about it.

I agree the apps are essentially the same. Only nuisance I've noticed different is that Google Home is slightly less functional on my partner's iPhone. Could work around it with automations.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Hey Android thread! I'm looking into upgrading my current phone, a cheap Galaxy A23 I bought when my Pixel 4a was stolen during a trip. I'm hesitating between getting a Pixel 7a, a Pixel 8, waiting for the 8a, or getting an iPhone (gasp!)

What do I want from my phone? Mostly basic stuff like messaging, browsing, shitposting, a nice camera, some social media & youtube... Not big on gaming or productivity.

My current A23 is working ok for the time being, it's got great battery life, regular updates and a headphone jack. But the screen is bad, the speakers are too, it starts to feel sluggish in some circumstances, and I hate the "improvements" from Samsung (useless apps, weird settings and quick settings menus, etc.)

I'm a Pixel warrior, so was contemplating on getting the 8; but the 7a is currently on offer for 300€ from my provider, which is hard to beat. However the 8a is supposedly coming out soon...

Finally, I've got an iPhone 13 from work, and I actually like it: it is fast and responsive, the build quality is there, apps are well polished, there is very little janitoring... I also don't mind the bad notifications, since I try to reduce the amount I get to the strict minimum. The 15 is quite expensive, but it should be good for a few years (what with the latest chip and guaranteed updates) and keep its resell value.

So in the end, I'm leaning towards the 7a, but I'm worried about buyers remorse in a few months: will it get too slow, will the 8a be a lot better?

Sorry for the :words: but I always appreciate some kind thoughts & comments :)

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

If you're a person who keeps phones for a long time, the 8 line (presumably the 8a as well, but unsure yet) increased the software support lifetime substantially. That's also a strength of an iPhone, obviously.

The 7a isn't bad there (software updates until May 2026, security until 2028), but it's something to consider in favor of the new generation.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I think the biggest bit about the 8 line was parts availability. Having software updates is great, but being able to get a fresh battery after 4+ years will be HUGE for longevity.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

For the past month or so Messages for Web (Google Fi version) never shows any messages that were sent from my phone. The other way works fine, stuff sent from web appears on my phone.

Anyone else ever experience this and know how to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Black Friday deals deliver. $150 off a Pixel 8 and $280 trade in on my Pixel 7 with 128gb.