Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

OneMoreTime posted:

I sometimes think the best place to be as a football fan is to have a team that is consistently like 11-6 and gets knocked out in the divisional round every year. Like they're good, enjoyable team to watch but you have some expectation that they can't go all the way so the inevitable playoff defeat isn't crushing. It also helps if you have a QB that isn't the future but isn't bad either so like the 2015-2018 Chiefs fits this bill.

I think the worst situation is to have a franchise QB on a team that consistently underperforms, either barely making or barely missing the playoffs. A team that you know if they make the playoffs they COULD do something special because you have the QB/weapons to make a say, 2007 Giants run at the Super Bowl but then for one reason or another it doesn't happen. When that loss hits or the season is clearly over, it just hurts so much worse than if your team was just terrible. This team doesn't quite fit that given Trent Green, but the 2003 Chiefs was that team for me.

What I'm trying to say is yeah, they got wins but oh my god Chargers fans don't deserve Herbert playing well and Keenan Allen having a career year and it amounting to nothing. Someone needs to save them from their team. Fire Staley for the love of god.

The saints experienced both of these realities during the 2010s and let me tell you, you are utterly wrong. A superbowl win heals all wounds, even if you're crap a year or two later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

OneMoreTime posted:

I sometimes think the best place to be as a football fan is to have a team that is consistently like 11-6 and gets knocked out in the divisional round every year. Like they're good, enjoyable team to watch but you have some expectation that they can't go all the way so the inevitable playoff defeat isn't crushing. It also helps if you have a QB that isn't the future but isn't bad either so like the 2015-2018 Chiefs fits this bill.

I think the worst situation is to have a franchise QB on a team that consistently underperforms, either barely making or barely missing the playoffs. A team that you know if they make the playoffs they COULD do something special because you have the QB/weapons to make a say, 2007 Giants run at the Super Bowl but then for one reason or another it doesn't happen. When that loss hits or the season is clearly over, it just hurts so much worse than if your team was just terrible. This team doesn't quite fit that given Trent Green, but the 2003 Chiefs was that team for me.

What I'm trying to say is yeah, they got wins but oh my god Chargers fans don't deserve Herbert playing well and Keenan Allen having a career year and it amounting to nothing. Someone needs to save them from their team. Fire Staley for the love of god.

Nah, I think the Chargers are doing great! Good team effort! Keep it up!!!

really queer Christmas posted:

The saints experienced both of these realities during the 2010s and let me tell you, you are utterly wrong. A superbowl win heals all wounds, even if you're crap a year or two later.

2015 was a hell of a monkey paw

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

really queer Christmas posted:

As a Pats fan I find the current shitshow in Foxboro freakin’ hilarious, that Germany game was performance art

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

is pepsi ok posted:

There's a story in the book The Essential Smart Football about Sean Payton coaching his kid's 6th grade football team while he was suspended for bountygate. He easily beat every team during the regular season except for one that ran the single wing.

He ended up facing that same team in the finals that year, and before the game he called up Jon Gruden and asked him if he knew how to beat the single wing. They came up with a gameplan together, and then Payton's team went out and got smashed a second time.

I can't help but picture Gruden and Peyton yelling 10 word playcalls at an 11 year old.

Gruden: "I said... scatter to west right tight f left 352 y stick spider z spot banana! What is so hard about that?!!! JESUS gently caress!!"

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I can't help but picture Gruden and Peyton yelling 10 word playcalls at an 11 year old.

Gruden: "I said... scatter to west right tight f left 352 y stick spider z spot banana! What is so hard about that?!!! JESUS gently caress!!"

I told them to work them into controller codes for Fortnite but they just got a confused look on their faces and asked me what two weeks had to do with getting the verbiage down on the playcalls.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

There's a gif somewhere of Brett Favre hollering at some teenage kid to throw the ball the right way and finishing with "GOD DAMNIT!"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

is pepsi ok posted:

There's a story in the book The Essential Smart Football about Sean Payton coaching his kid's 6th grade football team while he was suspended for bountygate. He easily beat every team during the regular season except for one that ran the single wing.

He ended up facing that same team in the finals that year, and before the game he called up Jon Gruden and asked him if he knew how to beat the single wing. They came up with a gameplan together, and then Payton's team went out and got smashed a second time.

Dudes Rock

Imagine you're a middle school gym teacher and you're 2-0 against a Super Bowl winning coach in pee-wee

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm just imagining this other team having 3-4 Myles Garrett looking dudes while Gruden and Payton are desperately trying to figure out why their scheme isn't working.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Manoueverable posted:

I agree with your other points but the Seahawks are one of the teams that's been here for most of the last 8 years and it's more or less football purgatory to know you'll probably make the playoffs every year but never be any real threat to win it all. There's a lot of stability in the organization because of the consistency but it's always been a double-edged sword.

OH yeah, more than one team can fit that description for sure, I just used those teams because well, I'm a fan of the Chiefs, and yeah totally a double edged sword

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

OneMoreTime posted:

I sometimes think the best place to be as a football fan is to have a team that is consistently like 11-6 and gets knocked out in the divisional round every year. Like they're good, enjoyable team to watch but you have some expectation that they can't go all the way so the inevitable playoff defeat isn't crushing.
It is not. I've argued before that it is, in fact, the exact opposite: that is the absolute worst case scenario. A truly bad team has a lot of cap space and draft picks, and rebuilds happen in a year or two in today's league. Your time in the wilderness will be likely be very short. But a continual playoff also-ran? You've got good players, not great, but they're still good and they've still got to be paid, and at the end of the day, the only difference between getting knocked out in the divisional round and finishing last is that you get a much shittier draft pick.

And ask any fan of any franchise who spent years in that position: it's not as fun as you think. Every season is futile and you never get to sniff the Super Bowl, so what's the goddamn point?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

rebuilds happen in a year or two in today's league. Your time in the wilderness will be likely be very short.
:laffo:

Why don’t you just luck your way into an elite QB?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
As a fan of a team that has spent most of its existence in the dumpster, winning games is very fun and anyone who thinks their team should win fewer games is a giant idiot who doesn't know how good they have it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Steichen rules. Colts should be 6-4 if not for the refs screwing them against the Browns. This is with pretty much most of the same guys from last year with an even worse secondary.

He's really getting everything he can from all of the players and running a great offense even with a limited QB.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CapnAndy posted:

and rebuilds happen in a year or two in today's league. Your time in the wilderness will be likely be very short. But a continual playoff also-ran? You've got good players, not great, but they're still good and they've still got to be paid, and at the end of the day, the only difference between getting knocked out in the divisional round and finishing last is that you get a much shittier draft pick.

Citation needed here on the first bit for a few teams I'm guessing. But yeah I spent 25 years watching the Chiefs in more or less the same position we're talking about and by far the most fun as a whole were the Marty Schottenheimer years at the time, even though you knew he was flaming out in the playoffs. 2003 was the most fun season during that 25 year span under Vermeil, but that was never going to hold up.

There's a reason people loved Marty even though he never won anything other than a whole lot of regular season games.

Diva Cupcake posted:

:laffo:

Why don’t you just luck your way into an elite QB?

I mean for a Jets fan the first couple of Rex Ryan years are probably pretty goddamned good memories. ...and then things fell apart as they do.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 15, 2023

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Acebuckeye13 posted:

As a fan of a team that has spent most of its existence* in the dumpster, winning games is very fun and anyone who thinks their team should win fewer games is a giant idiot who doesn't know how good they have it.

Same

*this millennium

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
As the great(?) Herm Edwards said, you play to win the game.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't think it's complicated, it boils down to it's a lot more fun cheering for a team on an upwards trajectory than watching to see if they'll finally get over the hump this time around. It doesn't really matter too much if the hump is "more than 6 wins" or "the NFCCG", coming up short is exhausting in its own way compared to going further every time.

Obviously no one's gonna have any sympathy for the perennial winners who can't get it done in the playoffs, and I'm not saying there should be sympathy for them. Just saying the fun/hype factor is a lot different when your team is going through not the playoffs -> playoffs -> winning playoff games compared to when you're going not the playoffs -> not the playoffs -> not the playoffs, or brutal playoff loss -> brutal playoff loss -> brutal playoff loss.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah. Ask Cowboys fans how happy they are about making the playoffs most years but last seeing the NFCCG in 1995. It's better than the absolute hell tier like the Browns where you keep getting top 5 picks and somehow NEVER GET BETTER. But knowing you have divisional round tattooed on your forehead as your absolute ceiling makes the whole exercise feel pointless. I was huge into baseball when I was younger and this was the late 90s/early 2000s Red Sox most years. No matter how good and exciting they were, they were still going to run into the Yankees buzzsaw at some point and die. It was infuriating.

The worst thing the Patriots could have done this year was win like 9 games, steal a wild card spot, and lose. The whole thing needs to be blown up and middling success would just drag it out.

The "upward trajectory" comment is good. Yes obviously winning games is good but ideally it is in service of eventually making a deep playoff run and not just kind of hanging out on life support

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

CapnAndy posted:

It is not. I've argued before that it is, in fact, the exact opposite: that is the absolute worst case scenario. A truly bad team has a lot of cap space and draft picks, and rebuilds happen in a year or two in today's league. Your time in the wilderness will be likely be very short. But a continual playoff also-ran? You've got good players, not great, but they're still good and they've still got to be paid, and at the end of the day, the only difference between getting knocked out in the divisional round and finishing last is that you get a much shittier draft pick.

And ask any fan of any franchise who spent years in that position: it's not as fun as you think. Every season is futile and you never get to sniff the Super Bowl, so what's the goddamn point?

I think for me it just comes down to liking my team winning games vs. not, and doing my best not to get overly invested so I feel terrible when they lose. Like I know that practically every other team and fan would like to be in the Chiefs' position right now but it's honestly it's very hard for me to watch them specifically because it feels like every game SHOULD be a win, and so it feels terrible when it's a loss or even a sloppy win. Part of this comes down to personal circumstance: I'm a nurse who works an incredibly stressful job and the last thing I need is to have another source of stress come from one of my hobbies. I think that's why I preferred rooting for those Alex Smith Chiefs, the wins came but there was no expectations. At the same time though, I think my heart would give out if I had to watch the Chargers given what they consistently put their fans through.

Once again, I totally get why people would be like "lol that's dumb" but hey, that's how I feel.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think it's complicated, it boils down to it's a lot more fun cheering for a team on an upwards trajectory than watching to see if they'll finally get over the hump this time around. It doesn't really matter too much if the hump is "more than 6 wins" or "the NFCCG", coming up short is exhausting in its own way compared to going further every time.

Obviously no one's gonna have any sympathy for the perennial winners who can't get it done in the playoffs, and I'm not saying there should be sympathy for them. Just saying the fun/hype factor is a lot different when your team is going through not the playoffs -> playoffs -> winning playoff games compared to when you're going not the playoffs -> not the playoffs -> not the playoffs, or brutal playoff loss -> brutal playoff loss -> brutal playoff loss.

I think I agree with this, those mid 2010s Chiefs teams had that up and coming energy.

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
I am ready for the Jerod Mayo experience

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

MaximilianK posted:

I am ready for the Jerod Mayo experience

no

no more belichick stuff please

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Some people never grew up in the Rick Mirer era and it shows

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I mean for a Jets fan the first couple of Rex Ryan years are probably pretty goddamned good memories. ...and then things fell apart as they do.
The playoff runs themselves were fun. Beating playoff Brady in New England is a fandom highlight. The seasons themselves were a wild swing of emotions specifically because they had lovely rookie QB prone to backbreaking interceptions. In 2009 they lost 6 of 7 at one point and Rex proclaimed the season to be over. It sucked.

At the end you're left with another championship caliber defense that was wasted on not having a good enough QB. Much like last year. And this year.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Maybe more teams should try to emulate the Patriots and win a whole bunch. I don't know maybe hire one of their coordinators and see if they can install the "Patriot Way" in your organization.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/1724853998455321038

This is how you talk when your startup is clearly failing but you gotta keep the VC money flowing for another month

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Benne posted:

This is how you talk when your startup is clearly failing but you gotta keep the VC money flowing for another month

Shams is branching out into NFL scoopsterism

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Score a victory for AI because I can't tell if that's something a real person said or if it was written by ChatGPT.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Simplex posted:

Maybe more teams should try to emulate the Patriots and win a whole bunch. I don't know maybe hire one of their coordinators and see if they can install the "Patriot Way" in your organization.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Benne posted:

I....what the gently caress? The offense already has a culture: it sucks rear end for 40-50 minutes but puts together a few really sexy drives per game. It's a tease that makes nerds publicly embarrass themselves on social media.
The defense is the inverse: it plays pretty well for 40-50 minutes, but none of which is the final 2-5 minutes.
That's the process, I say they synergize well to maximize delivery of excitement to consumers.

Kurgarra Queen fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 15, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fire the wife too

https://x.com/mike_e_kaye/status/1724870748794134784?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Simplex posted:

Score a victory for AI because I can't tell if that's something a real person said or if it was written by ChatGPT.
ChatGPT would do a much better job. I gave it the following prompt: "Pretend that you are the head coach of a professional American football team that is currently failing to perform well. Yesterday, ownership fired your offensive coordinator. Draft a tweet explaining your new plans, with the goal of convincing the sports media that your job is not in imminent jeopardy."

quote:

🏈 Exciting News for [Team Name] Fans! 🏈

After careful evaluation, we've made a strategic decision to part ways with our offensive coordinator. Change is never easy, but it's a crucial step toward revitalizing our performance and re-establishing ourselves as a force to be reckoned with in the league.

🔗 Our offense's new direction will focus on dynamic play-calling, innovative strategies, and maximizing the unique talents of our players. The future is bright, and we're committed to creating a winning culture that reflects the passion and dedication of our incredible fan base.

🔄 Change is a process, not an event. We're embracing it head-on and working tirelessly to elevate our game. The journey won't be without challenges, but rest assured, we're in this together, united with our players, staff, and loyal supporters.

🤝 Thank you for your continued support. Stay tuned for exciting developments as we embark on this journey of transformation. The best is yet to come. #TeamNameStrong #NewBeginnings 🚀🏆

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

It’s insane how involved not just the owner is but his partner too.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It’s insane how involved not just the owner is but his partner too.

Maybe it's only because more attention is being drawn to it, but it seems like they're getting more involved the worse the team gets.

If Fitterer gets canned I wouldn't be shocked if one of the Teppers took over as GM

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

OneMoreTime posted:

Ok, so do you think McDermott is going to be fired?

Truthfully no.
At this point its more of a fan thing than a feeling within their ownership.

The having 12 men on the field thing at first glance seems like the ultimate own and a fireable offense but its not as simple as that.

McDermott made two big defensive mistakes at the end of that game. The first was sending an all out blitz on 3rd down when the all out blitz was wildly successful on 2nd and knocked the Broncos out of fg range. The 2nd is having 12 men regardless of whether the responsibility for it was on the ST coach any 12 man penalty like that the HC has to own.
The Defense has horrendous injuries and are constantly being left on the field or put in terrible situations but are playing as hard as they can. I think OVERALL McDermott is actually good at calling defensive plays.

Also true that he's the head coach of the entire team and what he's saying i think in that tweet is that the Offense isnt playing like they give a poo poo about the team which is...true but is an indictment of McDermott too.

The biggest danger for McDermott is that a fissure between the offense and defense might erupt like with the Seahawks back in the day.

Him specifically talking about the Offense subculture, Latavius Murray calling an Offensive players only meeting when he barely just got there. These are worrying signs.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's generally a bad thing when you've been on the job for 7 years with multiple deep playoff runs and you're still talking about "culture." Something is rotten in that organization.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Benne posted:

It's generally a bad thing when you've been on the job for 7 years with multiple deep playoff runs and you're still talking about "culture." Something is rotten in that organization.

I do think it's telling that the Bengals, for example, have the same expectations and have struggled similarly but there's no obvious panic.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/s...r%3D910lastpost
I'm going to cross-post this from the AFC East thread. It's a little rambling, but Sharp is alleging that McDermott has probably been meddling in the offense for a while and hated Daboll and essentially blamed the offense for falling short in 2020. Daboll probably pushed back hard, but Dorsey was more pliable, and for worse. Basically that McD has classic defensive coordinator brain worms and is obsessed with the offense playing "complimentary football" i.e. running the ball more and generally taking a more conservative approach that discourages risk-taking (especially by Josh) and early-down passing. He backs this up by citing some of McD's own statements in press conferences, particularly his end-of-season conference in 2020 where he said they needed to "start over" on offense.

I basically agree, for what it's worth, insofar as the team's problems all lead back to its head coach. Again, I don't think he'll be fired barring a total collapse, but I personally think this team won't go anywhere until he's gone.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
#TeamNameStrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

fsif posted:

I do think it's telling that the Bengals, for example, have the same expectations and have struggled similarly but there's no obvious panic.

To be fair to the Bengals I feel like they haven't been contenders for quite as long for unrest to start brewing and they almost won a SB and this year's issues can easily be directed at the Burrow calf injury