Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's Monkeypox (Mpox) update.

pre:
Cumulative
Mpox	Total	Change
Cases	720	 +3
Hosp.	21	 
pre:
Recent
Week	Cases	Change
Oct-29	3	+2
pre:
Older
Month		Cases	Change
Oct 2023	11	+1
Sep 2023	9	
Aug 2023	1	
Jul 2023	1	
Jun 2023	2	
May 2023	0	
Apr 2023	7	
Mar 2023	6	
Feb 2023	9	
Jan 2023	15	
Dec 2022	13	
Nov 2022	19	
Oct 2022	23	
Sep 2022	134	
Aug 2022	260	
Jul 2022	190	
Jun 2022	16	
May 2022	1	
Incomplete	0
WA State Mpox Dashboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Sitting on a milk crate on the loading dock eating breakfast this morning I overheard the bread delivery guy saying "Yeah, just had Covid, wife had it, kid had it. It was pretty bad, honestly."

Not a mask in sight. :sludgepal:

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Well back to normality!

¬ drops out of society after 5th infection ¬

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Area Teen Dominates Doctors in Mental Fortitude

quote:

Been wearing a mask for 2 weeks!! (self.MasksForEveryone)

A little while ago, I made this post asking for some advice on confidence when wearing a mask, since this year is my first year of high-school and I was really anxious about wearing one. I honestly didn't expect much. But you guys were so kind and thoughtful in your responses that I pulled up my big kid pants and wore on the next day.

I've been wearing a mask now for two weeks, which is so exciting for me!! I know it isn't long but it's officially made its way into my normal routine, and I no longer feel uncomfortable wearing one to class. I didn't realize how easy it would be to forget I'm wearing one before this, and to just like. Exist? It's like a weight's been lifted off my shoulders, I feel so much more confident and comfortable knowing that I'm not only doing the right thing, but that I'm no longer going against what I KNEW was right.

I was surprised that most of the comments I got at school were from my teachers instead of students? Most were fine or considerate, one was sort of an rear end, but other than that I haven't gotten anything from students, even ones I see / talk to regularly. I'm really glad for that because I feel a lot more ready to answer any questions than I did the first few days. I've also gotten some comments from my mom and my sister, but they've lessened a bit, and I know they won't be able to sway me.

I know it's hard sometimes. I see posts nearly every day about someone having a tough time dealing with wearing a mask, and I get it. I know this is a happy post but I do feel left-out a lot. Wearing a mask now has only made me feel more isolated and disgusted when I see other people not wearing one(someone I see regularly in class went to a concert unmasked, then told me all about it the next day. bad vibes). But I hope you can all find peace in doing the right thing, especially for at-risk(like me) and disabled people.

Thank you all for the help!! Have a nice one :]

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 07:28 on Nov 15, 2023

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Whoopsie boopsie hybrid immunity doesn't confer robust immunity.

https://twitter.com/RajeevJayadevan/status/1724684569469911116

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DickParasite posted:

Whoopsie boopsie hybrid immunity doesn't confer robust immunity.

https://twitter.com/RajeevJayadevan/status/1724684569469911116

That has to be sampling bias at this point no? If you never got hit by Omicron your biohazard protocols are on point.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

genericnick posted:

That has to be sampling bias at this point no? If you never got hit by Omicron your biohazard protocols are on point.

Yeah probably I confess I haven't read the paper.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

genericnick posted:

It doesn't appear to be the reason. It is pretty interesting and best summed up by this graphic (look at the two right-most columns, which are the BA.2+BA.5 and BA.5 infection only, respectively):

Fig. 6 Humoral responses to SARS-CoV-2 vaccination and Omicron infections. In Panel A, post-vaccination neutralizing antibodies against ancestral SARS-CoV-2 were measured after two and three mRNA vaccine doses and prior to future Omicron BA.1/2 and BA.5 infection outcomes. Humoral responses were examined in Panels B to D in serum samples collected after the observation period baseline and Omicron BA.5 infections. Ancestral anti-spike and anti-RBD (receptor binding domain) IgG and IgA antibody levels were measured by ELISA. Neutralizing antibodies against ancestral and Omicron BA.1 anti-SARS-CoV-2 were assessed by microneutralization assays (MNT50). Each data point indicates an individual participant. Data are presented as box and whisker plots, minimum to maximum, with the center line at the median. Data in Panels A and B are presented on a log2 scale. Dotted lines indicate cutoff thresholds. Statistical significance was assessed by Kruskal–Wallis test with Dunn's multiple comparisons test. P values are only shown for post-hoc comparisons of statistical significance.

As you can tell (and combined with T-Cell responses being similar between cohorts), the reinfected cohort isn't comparatively immunocompromised.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(23)00325-5/fulltext#%20 posted:

Collectively, these data support the hypothesis that the increased risk of Omicron reinfection after an initial Omicron infection was a result of unique differences in biological responses to the initial infection, not an underlying immune defect or immunosuppression.

The authors speculate that it might be down to the cohort losing antibodies quicker and a simple re-up on the vax would do the trick.

Now I (a layman idly speculating) find their alternative explanation, which is basically that the BA.2 infection trained the immune response wrong (as a joke) and the reason BA.5 took off post-BA.2 wave is because of this effect on an aggregate population level. Unfortunately the blood work done by the authors was using BA.1 only, so it isn't possible to tell if it is immune imprinting or not :shrug:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:28 on Nov 15, 2023

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Could someone point to the current best advice for getting pax?

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Dren posted:

Could someone point to the current best advice for getting pax?

test2treat is free and easy. Can have a prescription sent to a pharmacy near you if you have covid, otherwise if you're just stocking up or there is none available locally they'll mail it to you.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I tried test2treat a few weeks ago when it was all the rage. It let me get through the whole thing and then just straight up ghosted me and sent no pax.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Is eligibility for test2treat limited to people in CDC high risk categories?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

99% of Americans are in those categories

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I tried test2treat a few weeks ago when it was all the rage. It let me get through the whole thing and then just straight up ghosted me and sent no pax.

I'm kinda wondering if that's happened to me. I got a prescription yesterday afternoon but haven't seen anything from their sketchy online pharmacy about it actually going out.

Edit: I got a notification a couple hours after posting this that it was being shipped overnight. :toot: to my last round of not $1,400 paxlovid.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Nov 15, 2023

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

99% of Americans are in those categories

Yeah I am assuming it is best to highlight to the provider that you’re in those categories.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
If you're having trouble with test2treat, don't hesitate to chat online with customer service. They were extremely helpful and got issues sorted out right away.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Mine came through test2treat no issues, right to the door the next day. Thanks Biden.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

yeah i had to have my prescription switched to another pharmacy, online help was fast and helpful

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
some great prospects for brain fog at government administration:

I've been applying for a state licensure for some time now. Turns out "some time" was longer than it should have been because:

The agency first sent my confirmation to the wrong email address, off by one letter! There it went into the ether of a nonexistent account. They caught this mistake at some point.

however whoever filled out the form for the confirmation, and likely is directly doing the compliance and database work, also fat-fingered an additional digit onto my serial number. It's 8 digits long instead of 7.

amazing how tiny fuckups can compound

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Baddog posted:

The channels are doubled up because I use some (thinner) prefilter material as well (big industrial-ish space).

Large commercial fan welded on top of the whole thing, not the prettiest, but eh. Prolly would look way better made out of wood.

I used channel from these folks - https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/store/6063aluminumarchitecturalchannel. But yah, it ended up not being the cheapest thing to slap together.

this is cool, thanks!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm shocked that blasting a gaping hole in your immune system results in there being a hole in your immune system

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

someone package a telomere clipping enzyme and market it as an alternative supplement for, idk, "cooling" or "protection from negative energy"

it seems like the worse advice something is, the better it spreads in the more money you'll make

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"this crystal treatment clears your chakras" just sell people bath salts, suspended in ivermectin. God bless America

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Pingui posted:

The authors speculate that it might be down to the cohort losing antibodies quicker and a simple re-up on the vax would do the trick.

I guess this is another item to add on the "if you get got, things to attend to" pile alongside trying to access Paxlovid and extreme resting with gradually returning to normal activity.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

Whatever happened to Anthony J Leonardi on Twitter/Bluesky? I tried to look him up and he was gone.

Saw some people calling him a charlatan in this ongoing Taylor Lorenz dust-up. But then again those were people misinterpreting the swiss-cheese model to mean not getting vaccinated at all so

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington State's Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

Weekly update on recent emergency room (ER) visits, new hospitalizations, total inpatients, deaths, and confirmed positives highlighting changes due to backfill. These are cobbled together from reports published by Washington's Healthcare, Emergency, and Logistics Tracking Hub (WA HEALTH), Washington Disease Reporting System (WDRS), Washington Health and Life Event System (WHALES) which can all be downloaded from the dashboard linked above. Additional information was gathered from CDC's Weekly Trends and HHS' Hospital Capacity by State and Hospital Capacity by Facility reports. All of these reports use the standardized Sunday-Saturday week definition.

Columns with a bright bar are the new additions for this week's report. Darker columns are from previous reports. An outlined column is where previously established numbers have been reduced with this week's report. Ex: Last week reported 250 hospitalizations for the week of Oct-15, this week reported only 225 hospitalizations for the week of Oct-15, there will be an outline on the column for Oct-15 extending from 250 to 225 to show the count recently lowered by 25.

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility. Positive home tests reported to the state were retroactively removed from the official counts earlier this year. Reinfections are only counted when equal to or greater than 90 days since prior recorded infection unless both samples were sequenced and found to be different subvariants.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:
week of:    4wk ago  3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week	Total:
Nov 05            -        -        -        -    + 1,860       1,860
Oct 29            -        -        -    1,903       + 90       1,993
Oct 22            -        -    1,772       90       + 17       1,879
Oct 15            -    2,089      132       36       + 22       2,279
Oct 08        2,483      242       27       16        + 3       2,771
Rest of '23     683      120       31       54       + 14     118,644
Emergency Visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities calculated by applying the state's % of Emergency Visits due to COVID-19 to the HHS' reporting of ED visits due to all causes. The HHS report with ED visits updates the Friday after the state's report, so the most recent week shown is an estimate based on the averaged totals of the past three weeks of ED visits combined with the state actual Emergency Visits ratio. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:
Nov 05            -        -        -        -      + 606         606
Oct 29            -        -        -      715       + 36         751
Oct 22            -        -      725       24          -         749
Oct 15            -      828       47        -          -         875
Oct 08        1,027       62       52        -          -       1,141
Rest of '23     103       43        -        -          -      38,545

New hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the state and HHS. The HHS report with new admissions updates the Friday after the state's report, so the most recent week shown is an estimate based on the averaged totals of the past three weeks of new admissions combined with the state actual hospitalization ratio. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:
Nov 05            -        -        -        -      + 262         262
Oct 29            -        -        -      295       - 48         247
Oct 22            -        -      231        1        + 3         235
Oct 15            -      361      -70        -       + 12         303
Oct 08          372        1      -10        -          -         363
Rest of '23      -3        -      -15        -          -      11,036
Total occupied inpatient beds used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Nov 05            -        -        -        -    + 1,673       1,673
Oct 29            -        -        -    1,708        + 7       1,715
Oct 22            -        -    1,778        -          -       1,778
Oct 15            -    2,100        -        -          -       2,100
Oct 08        2,394        7        -        -          -       2,401
Rest of '23     525        -        -        -        - 7      82,880
Recent deaths certified/coded as, or referencing to, COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem testing) as reported in WDRS. Most recent week of data is pulled from CDC's Weekly Trends which appears two weeks before the state's report and should be considered incomplete. It may look like the state is behind on reporting deaths, however they only report when they consider the data is complete.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:
Nov 05            -        -        -        -          -           -
Oct 29            -        -        -        -       + 25          25
Oct 22            -        -        -        5       + 29          34
Oct 15            -        -       25        3        + 1          29
Oct 08            -        7       23        -          -          30
Rest of '23      14       28        1        2        - 1       1,210

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gunshow Poophole posted:

some great prospects for brain fog at government administration:

I've been applying for a state licensure for some time now. Turns out "some time" was longer than it should have been because:

The agency first sent my confirmation to the wrong email address, off by one letter! There it went into the ether of a nonexistent account. They caught this mistake at some point.

however whoever filled out the form for the confirmation, and likely is directly doing the compliance and database work, also fat-fingered an additional digit onto my serial number. It's 8 digits long instead of 7.

amazing how tiny fuckups can compound

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
couple married dudes I know are convinced they have mono cause they have a sore throat and extreme fatigue

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Feste posted:

Whatever happened to Anthony J Leonardi on Twitter/Bluesky? I tried to look him up and he was gone.

Saw some people calling him a charlatan in this ongoing Taylor Lorenz dust-up. But then again those were people misinterpreting the swiss-cheese model to mean not getting vaccinated at all so

just another boring fight between taylor and ryan cooper where cooper does his bad faith “it’s antivaxx to not relax” bit

leonardi is still around twitter iirc, he was posting about the RSV study the other day

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

DominoKitten posted:

I guess this is another item to add on the "if you get got, things to attend to" pile alongside trying to access Paxlovid and extreme resting with gradually returning to normal activity.

do not wait until you have covid to access paxlovid

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

tuyop posted:

do not wait until you have covid to access paxlovid

Do Canadians even have a choice? At least in BC, they won't give it to you unless you're immunocompromised or old.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Feste posted:

(..)

Still going strong:
https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1724528244089634947

Nobody is discussing how covid can cause mild memory loss

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Samuel Glompers posted:

Do Canadians even have a choice? At least in BC, they won't give it to you unless you're immunocompromised or old.

Canadians cannot access paxlovid

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I was reluctant to post this, as it seems pretty odd, but between the publication, no competing interests and the argumentation being physical science, here it is:
"Senolytic therapy alleviates physiological human brain aging and COVID-19 neuropathology"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43587-023-00519-6 posted:

Abstract
Aging is a major risk factor for neurodegenerative diseases, and coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is linked to severe neurological manifestations. Senescent cells contribute to brain aging, but the impact of virus-induced senescence on neuropathologies is unknown. Here we show that senescent cells accumulate in aged human brain organoids and that senolytics reduce age-related inflammation and rejuvenate transcriptomic aging clocks. In postmortem brains of patients with severe COVID-19 we observed increased senescent cell accumulation compared with age-matched controls. Exposure of human brain organoids to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) induced cellular senescence, and transcriptomic analysis revealed a unique SARS-CoV-2 inflammatory signature. Senolytic treatment of infected brain organoids blocked viral replication and prevented senescence in distinct neuronal populations. In human-ACE2-overexpressing mice, senolytics improved COVID-19 clinical outcomes, promoted dopaminergic neuron survival and alleviated viral and proinflammatory gene expression. Collectively our results demonstrate an important role for cellular senescence in driving brain aging and SARS-CoV-2-induced neuropathology, and a therapeutic benefit of senolytic treatments.

"Senolytic therapy" means killing off (no longer dividing) cells.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

tuyop posted:

Canadians cannot access paxlovid

We don't have the tools :(

I'm not sure whether it's possible to get Novavax here in Alberta, but I am eligible for the XBB.1.5 vaccine, so I should go for that on the principle of "the best vaccine is the one that you can actually get"

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

shazbot posted:

couple married dudes I know are convinced they have mono cause they have a sore throat and extreme fatigue

covid can reactivate mono

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
There’s a sign at the pond where my parents take my kids that avian flu is going around and don’t get close to the migratory water fowl.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Glumwheels posted:

There’s a sign at the pond where my parents take my kids that avian flu is going around and don’t get close to the migratory water fowl.

I gotta live my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Thoguh posted:

I gotta live my life.

Not just any life, your BEST life

And that involves petting wild geese.