Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If they had the prayers and aether stored up, sure, as primals, but the machine is sucking up those prayers and redistributing that aether back into the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This is retroactively probably one of the multiple reasons the Ascians went with "manipulate other people into initiating a Calamity", because not starting a fight between the Ascians and the Twelve suited the objectives of both sides.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Their job must've really sucked because they didn't even wait a few years to make sure humanity actually had their poo poo together they checked out immediately

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If they had the prayers and aether stored up, sure, as primals, but the machine is sucking up those prayers and redistributing that aether back into the world.

On that note, this machine is a disaster/sequel waiting to happen. Either someone discovers and takes control of this machine, or the 12 gods worth of prayers cycling through it turn it into a primal beliving itself to be god and decides to keep the prayer energy instead of composting it back into the planet

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tengames posted:

On that note, this machine is a disaster/sequel waiting to happen. Either someone discovers and takes control of this machine, or the 12 gods worth of prayers cycling through it turn it into a primal beliving itself to be god and decides to keep the prayer energy instead of composting it back into the planet

Only problem is since it's all happened in an alliance raid series either they'd have to make Myths required a la CT (which I'm pretty sure is something they said they wouldn't do again) or just make it a problem to tackle in another alliance raid series (which still doesn't guarantee the player has actually seen the end of Myths).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure the Twelve will eventually become something new. They made a big deal out of how the Twelve changed on the beliefs of their followers and the pretty strong implication there is that with the Inhabited By Ancients Twelve gone, genuine beings of faith would eventually form in some fashion. Like half the reason for the ending was to let people's faith be true and genuine instead of trying to 'reveal the truth.'

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

God Hole posted:

Their job must've really sucked because they didn't even wait a few years to make sure humanity actually had their poo poo together they checked out immediately

I mean seeing as how every ancient we personally know states directly we've grown far beyond them and it's their time to go it's more that they can read the room.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tengames posted:

That can't happen because the device is directly redirecting any power straight back to the star and no one knows they're not their anymore. That's the whole point.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure the Twelve will eventually become something new. They made a big deal out of how the Twelve changed on the beliefs of their followers and the pretty strong implication there is that with the Inhabited By Ancients Twelve gone, genuine beings of faith would eventually form in some fashion. Like half the reason for the ending was to let people's faith be true and genuine instead of trying to 'reveal the truth.'

The god machine is supposed to stop this by sending all the prayer and aether directly into the star where it can't accumulate into new god beings.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cirina posted:

The god machine is supposed to stop this by sending all the prayer and aether directly into the star where it can't accumulate into new god beings.

That's... a good point. Rereading the quest dialogue on Garland Tools shows no mention of the Twelve being recreated, just that faith in them will still bless the star but directly, and that they'll live in men's hearts.

That said if it weren't the case, good thing we caused the reform of the Halonic church cause otherwise hot drat would be NuHalone an issue.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah the alliance raid and 8 man raid plots are basically putting a bow on every bit of ancients focused story they can. The 24 man ends basically with "And this poo poo is done nothing to worry about here" and the one hook left from the 8 man is "Yeah no clue where that hosed up rock came from, it had nothing to do with us we didn't make it just found it and the two people.that studied it have told you everything they know or showed you then died as a monster. Anyway were putting in nerd jail don't worry about it." Just to pull away any connection to the Ancients it might have had.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tengames posted:

I think this is why they wrote it so deryk stuck around with at least some retained memories

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Deryk stuck around because his deal was being the one God that enjoyed walking among the people as one of them. That's just his gimmick.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Deryk might appear as a background NPC in some seasonal events, I don't expect him playing any significant role in future content besides being mentioned or some cutscene like Gaia/Cylva/Unukalhai

edit: ↓ yeah or that, it would be cool

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 15, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Dwesa posted:

Deryk might appear as a background NPC in some seasonal events, I don't expect him playing any significant role in future content besides being mentioned or some cutscene like Gaia/Cylva/Unukalhai

Make him like Alpha and Omega

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think they should give Alpha and Omega significant roles in future content though

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

FFXIV-2 starring deryk alpha and omega as jpop adventurers, obviously

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Super No Vacancy posted:

FFXIV-2 starring deryk alpha and omega as jpop adventurers, obviously
More like Alisae, Lyse and Fordola

Yugiri on the bench for being OP

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think they should give Alpha and Omega significant roles in future content though

They got a sidequest for them, that's Tataru levels of relevance.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They should let Alpha and Omega explore some mysterious dungeons

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

ImpAtom posted:

I really like this interpretation; it feels very Discworld.

But I will miss our new god friends. :(

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Their soul aether will enter the reincarnation cycle to become unusually large babies.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FuturePastNow posted:

Their soul aether will enter the reincarnation cycle to become unusually large babies.

great, more DRK job quests

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

They should let Alpha and Omega explore some mysterious dungeons

Alpha and Omega as the criterion dungeon partners would be fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FuturePastNow posted:

I dunno man, some people were already mad when they just had to grapple with Entry-Level Nier Automata, I don't think they're gonna like the game requiring us to understand Drakengard Ending D.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

WoW recently announced three expansions.

Do you think FF14 has at least that many after Dawntrail?

If so, will we eventually get to the point where they stop introducing new jobs?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ither posted:

If so, will we eventually get to the point where they stop introducing new jobs?

7.0 is supposed to be the start of a new story arc so, yeah, unless the game suddenly stops being profitable it'll keep going.

They are never going to stop introducing jobs because jobs are a big part of what sells the expansion to people. At most they might go down to 1/expansion but considering we've got 2 + a limited job this expansion they don't yet seem at that point.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Its been mentioned before but freaking Everquest is still making expansions. I'm sure FF14 will have at least three more expansions at least, even if Dawntrail flops and everyone moves on. The 3 expo arc that WoW announced smells like desperation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FFXIV has an established content rhythm and workflow too, and I'm setting my expectations for Dawntrail at around Stormblood levels (i.e. "good, visible room for improvement, burdened mostly by what it's compared to") due to the high odds of them setting up for another 8 years of catgirl dress-up mayhem.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They will keep making expansions so long as they keep making money, not to quote myself but SE is a company not an art collective

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I get the whole "there are a lot of jobs" things but you only have to look at the fact that the big mystery for each fanfest is WHAT JOB to get how much of a major selling point they are for the game. They are not going anywhere. At best some older jobs might just get perfunctory updates instead of big new buttons and even if that happens they'll probably rotate what jobs get the cool things by expansion.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

There will always be new jobs because the game doesn't let you specialize within a job like WoW. Every Warrior in XIV has the same abilities and plays the same. New jobs are necessary to give variety.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They've said that new jobs are one of the things that sell expansions. And as Viper shows, they've got more and better ideas than we do, so the jobs will keep coming.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Viper looks real cool and I'm definitrly going to try it out but to be honest Im more excited for whatever green mage ends up being. Weirder magic dps sounds fun.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm hype AF for Viper, but I'm also a Melee Mains, so that's probably a given.

But Summoner and Black Mage are also great, so I'm excited to see what the new Casting Job is, and preparing to be hype AF for it, too.

January has never felt so far away before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just want to see what Sage gets

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Disnah II

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ither posted:

I legit have more faith in FFXIV's workflow than WoW's

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest until we're shown otherwise I feel like the worst you're going to get out of 14 is a safe expansion that just hits the expected mark, rather than a huge disaster or anything. Even the worst expansion so far hasn't been bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest until we're shown otherwise I feel like the worst you're going to get out of 14 is a safe expansion that just hits the expected mark, rather than a huge disaster or anything. Even the worst expansion so far hasn't been bad.

I dunno, parts of Heavensward on the gameplay side of things were pretty dire.